Does anybody here knit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I brought one to work with me today because my boss will be out all day and I'm going to be mighty bored :reject:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I had a friend show me how she did her crocheting, it looked pretty easy.

Yeah, I think it's easier than knitting, at least easier to do while studying, watching TV, etc. and generally looks nicer (there's not obvious holes, dropped or added stitches, uneven edges, and makes a thicker fabric). However, the cost of buying enough yarn to make a nice afghan is more than just going to Kohl's and buying one. That's why I quit.

i knit once in a while, i use one of those round things to knit scarves and those lil hats.

the last scarf i knitted i screwed up royally now i have to find a way to fix:help:

Yay, a knitting thread!!!

I learned to knit when I was in high school. I've picked it up again off and on through the years. Currently, I have misplaced my needles, so I guess I'll have to go buy some new ones. There is such a plethora of yarn choices these days, that I don't even know where to start. :huh:

Geeky knitting story....when I was a senior in high school I was cast as Marmie in a production of "Little Women". I actually had my knitting on stage with me and used it to keep my hands busy during several of the scenes. After one performance, a woman came up to me and told me that she could tell that I actually knew what I was doing and wasn't just "pretending" to knit. hehe. And I gave the finished product (slippers) to our director on closing night. :D

Dammit, Sicy, now I'm going to have to go out, buy materials and get started on making something! lol.

sulawesigirl4 said:
Dammit, Sicy, now I'm going to have to go out, buy materials and get started on making something! lol.

:mac:

The needles arent really expensive, and the yarn I've been getting has been around $5.00. I have never seen any at the thrift store though! I will have to keep my eye out next time I'm there.

I've knitted for years. My grandmothers and mum were/are knitting fanatics. Mum's lefthanded which is brilliant for learning off!!!

I mainly do baby stuff and beanies. I get bored on 'adult sized' stuff!! :giggle:

sicy try big lots, they have some really nice textured ones. The scarf i'm wearing here is crotcheted loosely with loops every so often super easy. Mom tought me when I was little to keep me busy.
I gotta get back into knitting and crotchet
bowlingalleybday.jpg

Originally posted by love2bmama

I love knitting, it's a great thing to keep my hands busy while watching tv, on the train, whatever.

Here's a hint, when you're ready to cast off (end your scarf) go to knittinghelp.com They have tons of free videos on that site that will show you exactly how to do all kinds of knitterly things, and you can watch over and over until you get it right.

:hyper: :hyper: Ooo oooo, I'm def going to check out that site, Molly!!! thanks! :hug:

Originally posted by love2bmama
I like your scarves, Sicy! I just finished a pair of red/black/white striped socks that I like to refer to as my Vertisocks. Such is the depth of my nerdiness. :nerd:

:shocked: :bow: :bow:

Socks....with triple- stripes, yet!!! near :faint:

I have yet to go beyond scraves......but I've made some prety nice ones- with various Knit/Purl patterns, using 2 colores for stripes/color blocks, and similar colors - medium teal and dark teal med is acrylic and dark was cheniele, purled or knited in a a curving sine-wave pattern ! :D
WHen i finally am able to go premium, and at one of my places that i get on the net that has the scanner, I'll show some.

Babydoll said:
I know how to knit a little... I say a little coz I'm left-handed and it's real hard for us to do it. I had to learn for my textiles class. My teacher spent 3 hours with me trying to make it work! :lol

Bd....:lol: I know JUST how you feel!!!

I FINALLY learned how to knit after 3 trys spaced over 30 yrs! :lmao: :lmao: :huh:

The FIRST try was with my Mom around 17 ...I was a VERY left-handed person then - so I asked her to reverse it for me as a left-hander {she was right-handed}.

OMG!:eeklaugh:
What ended up happening was that we YELLED at EACH other alot! ANd we both gave up after several tries.

My next attempt in my :hmm: 30's .
I actually knit/purled RIGHT-HANDED from a set of Instructions with drawings...........about 17 inches BUUUTTTTTT...
...the MORE I did this the more my scarf curled up [side to side]!There seemed to be no warnings/instructions about this "phenominum", NOR how to FIX it!

I was FURIOUS....WTF! How can you WEAR a scarf like that!??!!! :madspit: I gave up then .

But the one good thing was finding out that I could now use my right hand instead.So YOU, Bd might find yourself becomong somewhat more ambi-dexterous as you go along.
Writing and drawing, however, remain Lefty for me. : )

FINALLY.......
...when I was in my late 40's.....I ran across some women at one of our big Greenmarkets that raised sheep and did the whole process from shearing to 25 colors and about 10 varigated ones, and just about all the thicknesses/thins of yarns you'd want.

I was SO inspired by a very open "netted like" shawl ...they gave me the basics to do/look out for ...knitting, purling....using a #10 needle with a fingerling/baby {THIN} yarn......to get the OPEN look.

So I took out several books at the library, and finally I learned! WOOT!

THE book I found that taught me everything
, and had the best drawn instructions too, was Debbie Bliss's- Kntting for brginners [or some title like that].

Good Luck to all giving it a try!

Last edited:
and of course......... congrats to Sicy!

You're doing good!

I found that making sort of fancy [multi-stitched] lanyard keychains for relaxing and enjoying the pretty colors BEFORE a bout a yr or 2 BEFORE i finally learned help me keep my stitches even qite quickly!
:uhoh: it DIDN'T however help prevent droped stitches here & there.:madspit:

At one point though FINALLY it sort of 'jelled', and i was able to do much longer and longer lengths of knitting without mistakes.

But because my art & jewelry stuff takes precedence....doing less knitting this past yr plus.has me amking more mistakes again. But AT LEAST not AS MANY as when I first started!

Yeah I've already noticed on this 3rd scarf I started I havent made any mistakes (dropped stitches, etc). It's coming along nicely :drool:

btw you dont have to be a premium member to post pics. Photobucket is free :wink:

I idd manage to knit a little tail of something. My roomate knitted a gorgeous warm scarf for me recently. I'll take pics and upload them here later today, gotta head to class now!

I don't know Dazzy, I don't think I can become ambidextrous. I can't even hold a pen in my right hand let alone write with it. I did manage to knit a little tail in my class. It didn't look like anything though, :lol:

Here is the new tan one I'm working on. I realize that they should be thinner (less stitches) looks better.

tanscarf.jpg

I like the thinner scarf Sicy :up:

I got the itch today

this started as a scarf and ended up being a purse :slant:

knitpurse.jpg

I've got a crotchet scarf half done too but I don't like it

Sicy said:

Yeah I've already noticed on this 3rd scarf I started I havent made any mistakes (dropped stitches, etc). It's coming along nicely drool:
:applaud: :yes:

Sicy said:

btw you dont have to be a premium member to post pics. Photobucket is free wink:
:ohmy:

:drool:

:wink: and THANKS..........I didn't know that! :bow:

:shifty: on the other hand you DON'T know what you're unleashing!
:evil:

:lmao:

:wink:

Babydoll said:
I don't know Dazzy, I don't think I can become ambidextrous. I can't even hold a pen in my right hand let alone write with it. I did manage to knit a little tail in my class. It didn't look like anything though, :lol:

:wave:

Well i didn't start becoming REALLY more ambidexterous untill
my ? early/mid-30's. You have a a good amount of years till then! :)
I really started to learn how to cook in my late 20's (i avoided it as a kid/teen +), UNTIL when I wanted to learn.
I :lol: remember trying to pour {:hmm: how do i 'splain ths} from a right-handed pot with the little pour "lip" <which was ON the Left Side> WITH my Left Hand! Because I COULDN'T do it with my right hand back then!
:lmao: It was soooo akward!!!

SO you still might not.......but you might....check again after your 30th!

:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom