do any of you have friends who don't have a lot of money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
guys, do any of you have friends who don't have a lot of money?

hey gang!

long time no speak. looking for a little advice from you lot, any would be greatly appreciated.

here's the scoop... i've got a tight-knit group of about 4-6 friends whom i spend the majority of my time with when i'm not at work or with my girlfriend. most of us have good paying jobs (especially me) and we like to go out to eat and hit up the city at least once or twice a month.

the only problem is gary. gary used to be really cool and fun to be around, but lately he's been pissing off the rest of us because he's always complaining that the places we go are "out of his price range".

that's full of shit, as far as i'm concerned. maybe he should have thought better before moving out of his parents house... like the rest of us. i mean, we're not thirty yet so time is on our side to have FUN NOW.

dude doesn't get it though. he's ALWAYS saying "oh, can't we go somewhere else to eat" or "i really don't think i can afford to spend 70 bucks on a concert ticket again this weekend".

it was HIS decision to move into his own flat, and it IS his decision to stay at his current job where he only makes like less than half what i do. it's not our fault most of us also get allowances from our parents either.

truth is, gary isn't that bad of a guy. i know what i'm saying makes him sound like such an asshole, but i'm just partly venting. i don't want money to become a factor in our friendship, so i'm looking for ideas to help bridge the gap. i even told him "hey, i'll give you some money if you pay it back in the future" and he wouldn't take it!

what would you do if you were me and my friends? tell him to move to a cheaper place? get an extra job? i dunno.

thanks all!

Um, I'd just not ask him to come I guess, if you know he can't afford it and he just gets upset about it. I know I (and my friends in town) could not afford that lifestyle either. Personally I'd rather have a place I liked and just hang out with friends than live in a shithole and spend all my money on consumables.

Look on the bright side, Caisenema, when you start having to support your out of wedlock child, you'll be in Gary's price range and your other friends won't ever speak to you again!

Gary, if you're reading this, keep a spot on the couch for caisenema! He's gonna be moving in real soon.

dude, back in 98 when me and a pal were in Dublin, she was all 'now if The Kitchen is like 20 in Im not goin!' so thank fuk it was like 8 quid for some DJ. but yea, she was a bit stingy (say that as stin-gee). thanks gawd she is an ex!

but I think it depends. if you have a lot of money and you are wise with it, then the odd occassion you may not mind getting something expensive, but no way would I pay like 60quid for a top thats crap material and not worth it in feel and image - just for the shop name!

But to answer you, at the minute, not really. but sometimes! ;) depends on price of things!

Isn't there some random homeless chick you could hook that bitch (Gary) up with? Get the social networking ball of mutual destitution rolling so-to-speak. That way, if he's suave enough to get in with her good graces, he can be dining on leftovers, taking washbasin baths, netting a steady revenue of coins, reading recycled newspapers, etc. at least half the month--thereby saving enough money to be able to hang with his bros the other half of the time.

Gary seriously needs to get his priorities straight.

You're an amazing pal to exhibit this level of care and concern for him. They don't make 'em like you anymore. Godspeed.

Why not have Gary sell his body to get the cash, or is he lacking in the looks dept. as well as money? Wow. Is this guy REALLY your friend? Come on. Space Moon it.

I've always been the Gary of my friendship group :wave: Obviously, it's different when you're younger because it's not case of not having a job or whatever - it's more the social bracket your family falls into. But I understand what it feels like to be that bloke and I think you're being more than a little judgemental. And not understanding at all.

But hey, maybe you should just ditch him if that's how you feel. You can't exactly be the best of friends if you're quite ready to ditch him because of his financial situation :up:

I have had friends like that when I was a student. The thing is her parents earned much more than my mum. However, she thought that just because my mum paid for my mobile phone bill and that I didn't go spending my student loan on going out every night that I was loaded. Plus she smoked and I don't. I found it unnecessary that I should keep lending her money just so she can spend it on fags.

She never gave any of this money I lent her back, either. She don't speak to me now because I had the nerve to leave uni whereby she's got no one to scrounge off anymore.

What we always do with our poor friends is let them come along and eat our leftovers. This works especially well with Asian food. There's always some rice left and then he can scrape the remaining sauce and scraps off your plate over the rice, and everybody's happy. Works great with pizza, too. A lot of people leave the crust and Gary can munch on that. :shrug:

I'd sell him into slavery

Remember your history.

Joseph%20Coat%20of%20Many%20Colors.jpg

He can wait in the car while you guys go and have fun. Then, on the way home, you can tell him about the fun you had. That way he won't feel left out.

:laugh:

I'd sell him into slavery, or, barter him into slavery for some coke you and your friends can then turn around and re-barter with to get hookers.

:applaud:

What we always do with our poor friends is let them come along and eat our leftovers. This works especially well with Asian food. There's always some rice left and then he can scrape the remaining sauce and scraps off your plate over the rice, and everybody's happy. Works great with pizza, too. A lot of people leave the crust and Gary can munch on that. :shrug:

:lmao:

Gary will have a gorgeous time with all the love in the room :)

This is obviously a lame episode of Friends.

Which was also lame.

What of us who don't watch Friends? I hope this isn't like second hand smoke, and I've just inadvertently watched an episode. :(

well, i have no idea seeing as though i've never watched 'friends' in my life.

guys, just a quick update on gary. last night spiders severed his corpus callosum and ate through the motor-control centre of the brain, causing gary's body to jerk involuntarily as a scurrying mass of crab spiders emerged from his mouth and crawled down his face. i can also confirm that a number of spiders also discharged from gary's tear ducts.

yeah it might sound bad, but his "situation" is probably the best thing that could have happened to him, for us. one less thing to worry about.

guys, just a quick update on gary. last night spiders severed his corpus callosum and ate through the motor-control centre of the brain, causing gary's body to jerk involuntarily as a scurrying mass of crab spiders emerged from his mouth and crawled down his face. i can also confirm that a number of spiders also discharged from gary's tear ducts.

Good riddance. Bloody Gary.

He has his own place. Buy some cans and order a take out. Super night.

Look on the bright side, Caisenema, when you start having to support your out of wedlock child, you'll be in Gary's price range and your other friends won't ever speak to you again!

Gary, if you're reading this, keep a spot on the couch for caisenema! He's gonna be moving in real soon.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen.

I'm the black sheep in the crowd, like Gary. Maybe he's just a conservative fellow? I mean, part of the reason why I don't spend a bunch of money on social outings is because I like to save my money and buy something worthwhile.

This is all IMO though. To each their own. I hope you find a way to manage. :)

Back
Top Bottom