Current Work-Outs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the most important things for me is switching up my routine, both so my body doesn't get used to it, and to prevent me from becoming bored. I plan on sticking with Zumba and Pilates for a long time because I don't get tired of them, but I enjoy adding in new work-outs too.

I just noticed this thread and had to jump in...I've been struggling with losing the 10lbs I put on after I broke my foot last August. I find that I also have to mix things up or I get bored. I try to do weights and the stationary bike 2-3 times a week, pilates 2x a week and my new favorite class at our Y is Kalabash. I've been told that it's kinda like Zumba. The instructor plays all this african and reggae type music and there's lots of hip wiggling! It's fun!

If anyone's strugglling with losing weight, here are a few principles that seem to hold true:

* Whether it's cardio or weights, try working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This forces your body to use fat for energy instead of recently eaten food. Don't eat RIGHT away (especially if you've just done cardio) after your workout. Your body is still burning fat, and eating less than an hour after you're done working out kind of slams the brakes on that.

* Drink a lot of water.

* Eats lots of lean protein and a moderate amount of slow burning-carbs. It might make your diet kind of bland but you'll get used to it.

* Most fat burning pills, drinks, etc. are garbage, no matter what GNC says. Ephedrine was the one thing that I thought really worked well, and that's now illegal.

Does anyone know of a good workout for your stomach?

What are you looking for, exactly? More core strength? Flat tummy? Six-pack?

I hate sit-ups and they can be hard on the back, so I tend to use different ways to work that area. Besides pole, there are a few yoga poses that I really feel it with :hmm:

Flat stomach. Mine is starting to grow. :shifty:
:lol: Gotcha. I'm fairly new to yoga, so I don't know all the names of the poses, but one of my favorites(ie: omg, hurts so good) was one we did a couple weeks ago. You lie on your back, extend one leg out, hovering it about an inch off the ground, flex your foot so that it's flat, as though you're stepping on the back wall. At the same time, you bring your other leg up, straight as possible, and flex your foot as if you're stepping on the ceiling. You hold it for as long as you can, or as long as your yoga instructor makes you. If someone is making you hold it, guaranteed it will be burning and you'll be cursing at them under your breath, lol. You can add to the ab workout by lifting your head up while doing this. Hold is as long as possible, bring everything back down to neutral, take a moment to breathe, then switch legs.

Like I said, I do all kinds of different things, so I don't know if that would be enough on it's own to achieve a flat tummy, but it's certainly a good way to start. :hmm:

I do sit ups every morning and I've recently strained some muscles so I have to be really careful. I do half an hour workout every morning including stretching, I go running when I have time and the weather is ok, I do a lot of walking, I take very staircase and I do some dancing. I've actually lost some pounds and I feel better now. I don't run out of breath as quickly as I did before. However, I still have to lose some pounds, my thighs still are too strong. It's hard, but it gets better with the warm weather, it's much easier to be physically active when it's warm outside.

:lol: Gotcha. I'm fairly new to yoga, so I don't know all the names of the poses, but one of my favorites(ie: omg, hurts so good) was one we did a couple weeks ago. You lie on your back, extend one leg out, hovering it about an inch off the ground, flex your foot so that it's flat, as though you're stepping on the back wall. At the same time, you bring your other leg up, straight as possible, and flex your foot as if you're stepping on the ceiling. You hold it for as long as you can, or as long as your yoga instructor makes you. If someone is making you hold it, guaranteed it will be burning and you'll be cursing at them under your breath, lol. You can add to the ab workout by lifting your head up while doing this. Hold is as long as possible, bring everything back down to neutral, take a moment to breathe, then switch legs.

Like I said, I do all kinds of different things, so I don't know if that would be enough on it's own to achieve a flat tummy, but it's certainly a good way to start. :hmm:

I'll try that. Thanks. :wave:

No idea if this is helpful at all, but if you begin a comprehensive weight training routine, your abs will likely benefit from that quickly -- even if you aren't specifically targeting them. Many basic weight training movements use your stomach muscles automatically for stabilization.

I'll try that. Thanks. :wave:
I forgot to add: Your arms should also be hovering about an inch off the ground. You want your abs to be doing all the work.

Another variation we've done on that one in dance class is simply to lie on your back, bring your legs straight up towards the ceiling, and slooooooowly lower them towards the ground. Resist the urge the leg them drop as you get close to the floor. Your abs should be burning right about then.

If you can, you can progress that move to a shoulder stand:
YouTube - Core Flow Vinyasa Yoga : Vinyasa Yoga: Shoulder Stand

Excellent for core strength, and you can really work the abs by, again, slowly lowering your body down, vertebrae by vertebrae, until your feet are the last thing to touch the floor. For this one, be sure to warm up your neck by stretching, and use your hands on your lower back to stabilize you at first. Once you get stronger, you should be able to do it with no hands and eventually progress to elbow/forearm stands. :)

One thing to remember is that ab exercises don't necessarily flatten your stomach. In fact, you may feel like you look more "bloated" when you first start doing ab exercises, as the muscle will widen your waistline. It's one of those things that often discourages people when they first start working out, as they think they actually look "fatter" when they work out. Cardio and diet mixed with any sort of general ab exercise is still going to be your best bet, as the cardio will burn the fat, and the ab exercises will tighten the area up.

Excellent point. I have a friend who often works out along with me, but she's got a bit of extra weight, so you can't see her abs until she flexes. They're certainly there, though. Her downfall is that she hates cardio. She has a stationary bike and she's always complaining about how boring it is. I tell her to do things that are more fun and less structured, but ahh, she's stubborn ;)

A question for the fitness gurus here.

If your pulse rate goes up to 160 - 170 when running (not even that fast) is that, like, really bad?

A question for the fitness gurus here.

If your pulse rate goes up to 160 - 170 when running (not even that fast) is that, like, really bad?

I'm no guru, but that is typical for me. I used to regularly wear a heart rate monitor to gauge. Now I seem to be able to keep myself around 170. At 174 I immediately know I need to back off, but I've seen my readings go much higher. I think it's genetic, my mother has a high resting pulse and low blood pressure just like I do.

We need extra water to compensate. You may need more of a cool down than other people too.

I seem to be very healthy just quirky. You might want to track yourself and ask a trainer or doctor to be safe.

I'm no guru, but that is typical for me. I used to regularly wear a heart rate monitor to gauge. Now I seem to be able to keep myself around 170. At 174 I immediately know I need to back off, but I've seen my readings go much higher. I think it's genetic, my mother has a high resting pulse and low blood pressure just like I do.

We need extra water to compensate. You may need more of a cool down than other people too.

I seem to be very healthy just quirky. You might want to track yourself and ask a trainer or doctor to be safe.

Thanks for this.

I do usually wear a heart rate monitor when exercising. My resting pulse rate is not that high, probably around average for a non-athlete of my age, it's just it seems to go way up when exercising vigorously. When cycling it is fine but if I am cycling up a steep hill for example it will go to 169 or so. Actually I did have a preliminary consultation with a personal trainer and he didn't seem particularly concerned. Point taken on the water, hydration is v. important.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom