Closure of @U2 forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get annoyed when it's just a bunch of hyperbolic negative statements, and it gets old real fast, but whatever.

But a dog being castrated? As in, a dog starts singing catchy, innocuous pop songs while their balls are being cut off? I'd like to meet that dog, actually.

:lol: Such a happy-go-lucky pup.

I'd like to meet that dog, actually.

:lol:

Anyway, badly behaved posters is a really lame reason to shut down a forum. The mods there seem either weirdly intolerant or unable to do their "job." This place has plenty of nasty spats and unruly behaviour, but in general it all seems to shake out without over-moderation.

This is just mods trying to hard to micromanage and when things don't go the way they like they close down the playground.

It's all well and good that some dickishness is tolerated but some folks just repeatedly turn it up to 11.

There's really no need. Further, as I've protested in the past, new posters should be cut some slack so they don't immediately feel unwelcome.

That said, it's still the best U2 forum online and easily the most engaging.

:lol:

Anyway, badly behaved posters is a really lame reason to shut down a forum. The mods there seem either weirdly intolerant or unable to do their "job." This place has plenty of nasty spats and unruly behaviour, but in general it all seems to shake out without over-moderation.

This is just mods trying to hard to micromanage and when things don't go the way they like they close down the playground.

I think the dude running the place had this vision of building a 'church of U2' or something, and when the parishioners started arguing with each other and being 'mean', he decided the church needed to be burned down, or at least temporarily shuttered. It does seem like an over the top response but can't say I am shocked by it.

Yes, to your comments in paragraph 2 above. (Sorry, I'm not going to repeat that word). That really turned me off, because the person who posted that word was called out on it and then proceeded to announce that he was going to repeat that word because it doesn't have a bad meaning in Ireland or wherever he was from, and then he did just that--over and over and over. I can handle a lot of language but, being a woman, I draw the line at that word. It was unnecessary.

Mate, if you don't want to encounter people from other countries who might use words a bit differently to you, I recommend not using the Internet in the first place.

It's all well and good that some dickishness is tolerated but some folks just repeatedly turn it up to 11.

There's really no need. Further, as I've protested in the past, new posters should be cut some slack so they don't immediately feel unwelcome.

That said, it's still the best U2 forum online and easily the most engaging.

:shrug: I reckon this is exaggerated. If somebody shows up and posts something dumb, then of course they're going to cop it from other posters. If somebody's been here for a decade and posts something dumb, then they're going to cop it too, and probably harsher because there's enough shared history to really push the buttons.

Yes, people from other cultures using words differently is all well and good. But if it's considered a very offensive word in another culture and people ask "Hey, maybe don't do that," it's a total asshole move to just keep doing it just because you think that's a dumb opinion.

I joined the @U2 forum when it was still pretty new, but they rebooted the whole thing at some point, so I don't think I'm technically still a member. There was a time when I was going to Zootopia, Interference, and the @U2 forum, and then I decided that was way too many forums to keep track of. I cut it back to here and Zootopia, and then Zootopia became Subscribers Only, so that left Interference. I still don't go to Zootopia, even though I have a U2.com subscription, probably because I'd rather stick with a forum I'm familiar with. Better the nutcases you know than the ones you don't! ;)

Yes, people from other cultures using words differently is all well and good. But if it's considered a very offensive word in another culture and people ask "Hey, maybe don't do that," it's a total asshole move to just keep doing it just because you think that's a dumb opinion.

Exactly.

i think taking grievous offense to something as insignificant as a four letter word's presence on a screen is ridiculous no matter what cultural context anyone wants to put on it.

i think taking grievous offense to something as insignificant as a four letter word's presence on a screen is ridiculous no matter what cultural context anyone wants to put on it.

I agree with this, but I also feel as though there's absolutely no reason to go and instigate it if you know someone's going to be annoyed or upset by it.

Yeah, this.

That said, I'm ridiculous in many ways, so each to their own, and I've not posted that word since that thread.

But for the record, not writing that word can be tough. I mean, how does one speak eloquently without a broad range of sophisticated cuss words... ?

AtU2 was pretty much my internet wet dream 20ish years ago. But just never found the forums as diverse as here.
Still, weird that cuss words can shut down a U2 forum but rape-boasting can get you elected president... world's a weird place...

:shrug: I reckon this is exaggerated. If somebody shows up and posts something dumb, then of course they're going to cop it from other posters. If somebody's been here for a decade and posts something dumb, then they're going to cop it too, and probably harsher because there's enough shared history to really push the buttons.

Minimize it all you want but I disagree with that mindset. Why should someone have to be fearful that they're going to get an avalanche of shit for posting something sincerely that they want to talk about?

That doesn't really open the door for discussion about the band. Should people really have to be posting in fear? Who gets to say what's dumb and what isn't? It's worth remembering how much this band means to some people and that oftentimes people posting here are having challenges in their personal life...and it's important and helpful for them to be able to turn to the band (and by extension, this board) in difficult times.

:hmm:

Absolutely.

Why should someone have to be fearful that they're going to get an avalanche of shit for posting something sincerely that they want to talk about?

Who gets to say what's dumb and what isn't?

Agreed. Let’s just play nice. Differing opinions should be just that - opinions.

Whether or not you find it ridiculous, it is still an asshole move to make it a point to repeatedly use a word you know someone finds offensive after they’ve told you they find it offensive.

And I didn't use it in that post, even though I could've.

Asking Australians to stop using a word that has become a compliment as well as an insult just because Americans are uptight about the first syllable of the word "country" is... well, unlikely to meet with success.

We look the other way when Americans abuse the English language, after all. :wink:

Minimize it all you want but I disagree with that mindset. Why should someone have to be fearful that they're going to get an avalanche of shit for posting something sincerely that they want to talk about?

That doesn't really open the door for discussion about the band. Should people really have to be posting in fear? Who gets to say what's dumb and what isn't? It's worth remembering how much this band means to some people and that oftentimes people posting here are having challenges in their personal life...and it's important and helpful for them to be able to turn to the band (and by extension, this board) in difficult times.

:hmm:

It's never about the content though. If it was, I wouldn't be here, since I would've been run off the forum long ago for many, many opinions (One sucks, Passengers is great, UV sucks, October is great, etc.). This place can respond passionately to an unpopular opinion, but will debate it on its merits, and I like that.

But if you show up and post an opinion, popular or not, in a silly way, of course the sarcasm and wisecracks come out.

Please understand some of us might be "uptight" about it because if we are unlucky enough to be hearing it in person, it's being yelled to us by a guy whose catcalling or advances we've ignored, and now we are just thinking we should get the fuck out of there.

Use the word, don't use the word, whatever. But don't get all high and mighty about people having real life experiences with the connotation in which it is often heard here.

Back
Top Bottom