canada is different from america... how, exactly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That poutine looks quite dry.

Which means I'd probably like it, but it also wouldn't really meet the standard definition of poutine. :wink:

by you mentioning our queen, you know more about constitutional make up than 90 per cent of the population.

who said americans didn't know anything about anything outside their own country? ha.

Even I knew that, and I'm from Europe :wink:

In the media here, Canada does seem pretty different from the USA. So I couldn't tell anything about that besides that it's based on mediastuff. Have to visit both countries sometime to actually see it for myself!

Most of the gravy was at the bottom of the pile, which worked great for me - most of the fries had a little gravy-soaking, and a few bits of cheese. The best ones, I found, were the ones with some gravy but LOADS of cheese.

It was really awesome cheese.

The color's a little off in the picture - it looked a lot more appetizing in person. I also found myself wanting to dunk them into ketchup, but I guess old habits die hard.

Most of the gravy was at the bottom of the pile, which worked great for me - most of the fries had a little gravy-soaking, and a few bits of cheese. The best ones, I found, were the ones with some gravy but LOADS of cheese.

It was really awesome cheese.

The color's a little off in the picture - it looked a lot more appetizing in person. I also found myself wanting to dunk them into ketchup, but I guess old habits die hard.

I sometimes add ketchup to my poutine - gravy, cheese and ketchup :drool:

I also found myself wanting to dunk them into ketchup, but I guess old habits die hard.

:up:

Hi, my name is Kip, and I’m ketchupaholic. I put it on eggs, Kraft Dinner (macaroni & cheese), and on a whole bunch of assorted foods--including poutine. It’s to the point where my family has practically disowned me for “ruining meals.” Their eyes roll, mouths open in shock...and my standard reply to their predictable horror is, “I’m not ruining anything…I’m enhancing!”

Non-ketchup people just don't understand...

yes, i'm like the beautiful, sparkling diamond in a pile of shit. whereas you're the piece of shit in a pile of diamonds. or something.

National tensions. :drool:

Hi, my name is Kip, and I’m ketchupaholic. I put it on eggs, Kraft Dinner (macaroni & cheese), and on a whole bunch of assorted foods--including poutine. It’s to the point where my family has practically disowned me for “ruining meals.” Their eyes roll, mouths open in shock...and my standard reply to their predictable horror is, “I’m not ruining anything…I’m enhancing!”

Non-ketchup people just don't understand...
exactly! i put ketchup on so many odd things. fish, potato chips, hash browns (also put a tiny drizzle of maple syrup on them too :shifty:), hot dogs. and even then, i use tons of it. my parents used to hassle me about the huge mound of ketchup i'd always put on my plate, but i always used it all. i just somehow always knew how much i'd need.

i did used to put it on macaroni and cheese too, though i outgrew that. but not everything else!

I used to love ketchup on scrambled eggs, but now I don't even like scrambled eggs that much. My grandpa yelled at me once for putting ketchup on my steak at dinner.

Ketchup on Kraft mac & cheese is a travesty.

ha, now steak gets nothing. i don't even put on steak sauce. imo, if the steak's not good enough to eat as is, then it's not worth eating. why i don't feel that way about everything and ease up on the ketchup is beyond me. but i suppose it's better for me to appreciate a good steak than fish.

Now that I'm all growed up, I don't put ketchup on my steak. Maybe some kind of steak sauce, but that's very rare.

... but it's pretty rare that I even eat steak, so steak sauce on my steak is the rarest of the rare.

But I don't like my steak rare.

i practically do. i order it medium rare and sometimes they do it a little too close to medium. i'd rather it still be mooing at me than a hockey puck, thanks.

earlier this year i was at a fancy steakhouse in town and ordered the filet mignon. i of course ordered it medium rare, and no joke, it came out well done. it was pretty much inedible, it was flavourless and overcooked. everyone's were like that, i don't think whoever was behind the grill just cooked them how THEY wanted a steak to be.

Another difference:

I'm not leading an invasion of the US anytime soon.

Canada? Yeah, it's going to happen. Beav from the East, me from the West and Elfa, who has been spying for the US for quite some time, will ride up from Minnesota with his mighty steed.

So there you have it.

I want some poutine. I think it looks absolutely delicious. As far as fries go, I prefer them on the softer/soggier side, and I don't usually put anything on them, as I despise ketchup/don't eat tomatoes. However, if there's gravy around, I'll definitely have some on my fries :love: As far as cheese goes... I don't like cheese fries because the cheese sauce they use is too rich, but I often add my own cheese to mashed potatoes, so poutine would probably be glorious for me.

I'm gonna make some of my own as soon as I have all the ingredients :drool:

^

I don't think that's unique to Canada; you'd find the same results in most countries if you ran a civics test. We know for sure it's true in the US as well since they do these types of surveys there all the time.

I think you're a monarchy fan and I actually think they've behaved rather well for the last 60 years or so. But politically in terms of Canada's future, given the events of the last several weeks, I do believe it is time to move to abolish the monarchy. I've felt that way for some time, but now I see actual, practical reasons for doing so. Since we have no real power to do so, then we should cut ties with them.

Just browsing over a few of the posts...

VP - isn't Canada actually older than the US? Or was settled first, anyways?

BoMac - didn't Tim's get bought back recently/or Wendy's off-loaded it?

and in general, I've never been able to find salt and vinegar potato chips anywhere in the US. not that I have a dying need for them, just found it odd...

VP - isn't Canada actually older than the US? Or was settled first, anyways?

and in general, I've never been able to find salt and vinegar potato chips anywhere in the US. not that I have a dying need for them, just found it odd...

If you define older as first settled, then yeah, slightly, according to what I just googled. Late 1400's for us, early 1500's for them.

I agree about the chips. I can't imagine a world without dill pickle chips.

I've seen a couple brands around in the Pacific Northwest, but maybe it's a regional thing.

Here you can find both Lays and Cape Cod salt and vinegar chips in most grocery stores :shrug: It's never occurred to me that they might not be easy to find.

I agree about the chips. I can't imagine a world without dill pickle chips.
Those are a bit harder to find, but certain stores tend to have them. My sister loves those things.

Back
Top Bottom