Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, never really had a good Japanese beer, except for this expensive one that I can't remember the name of that I had at some flash restaurant. I know they do have a pretty good brewing culture these days, though. Asian beers in general are hit and miss compared to those from more established beer regions, but few things are more refreshing than a Chinese rice lager, i.e. Zhu Jiang, which is fucking delicious. And you just have to have a Kingfisher or Cobra while eating curry.

My favourite beers, in no particular order :drool:

chimays.jpg

duvel.jpg

maredsous_main.jpg

Carlton Dry are giving out free beer among other things on their facebook, you've just gotta come up with a good enough wall post. I tried, and failed, but someone else I know got free beer.

Pretty awesome, although the short film thing they did with Steven Segal didn't end up being very funny.

I was at First Avenue last week and noticed they had Tiger Beer. Really tempting to get one to see if I would get a flashback to drinking it in Mongolia. But, then I thought better. :yuck:
I'm back there for a show on Friday, so I might then.

tiger-lager-beer.gif

If any of you beer fans are ever in Chicago, I would enthusiastically recommend Revolution Brewing Co. They had some of the best microbrews that I have tasted in a while, many of them cask-aged.

If any of you beer fans are ever in Chicago, I would enthusiastically recommend Revolution Brewing Co. They had some of the best microbrews that I have tasted in a while, many of them cask-aged.

:up:
I was there in February, and I did enjoy it. They had a hoppy porter (?) called First Year Beer that stood out to me. The food was better than expected, too. :D
But the highlight of my trip was when a friend took me to a tour at the Half Acre brewery. Every beer I tried (six, I think) was outstanding. :drool: They need to open a pub. I will be back, regardless.

The lowlight was meandering out of Piece (following Revolution) around 11 pm, waiting without success for a bus for ~40 minutes, and having to walk back to my hotel a couple of blocks west of the lake. In the snow. Even less than sober, it was scary...

I was camping on the weekend, when a mate handed me a glass full of yellow, lukewarm liquid. "Drink it" he said giggling. It was only when I smelt it that I realised the prank the bastards were trying to pull.

Fosters.

I was sure you were going to end that story with piss. I guess you kind of did.

Foster's is bad, but Crown Lager is even worse. Even if it's the only cold beer available, I'll refuse to drink it. Absolutely putrid.

Pretty sad that Foster's is our most well known beer overseas when absolutely nobody drinks it here.

Yeah I've noticed you are vehemently against Crownies. I don't like them, but if it was the only cold beer then I'd go for it.

Worst beer you've ever tried? "Ice" for me. It's heavy beer, comes in a silver can only. You can get 30 cans for $28. Vomit-inducing, and that's coming from someone who hasn't thrown up in 15-odd years.

I've never seen anyone drinking fosters apart from Hoges.

Worst for me is probably Brahmin, an oddly popular Brazilian brew. Tastes like detergent to me. Really couldn't handle the stuff, thought I'd spew and I wasn't even drunk.

By Ice do you mean Carlton Ice? I think that's the name. Yeah, that stuff's not too great, only had it a couple of times because one of my mates used to love it. Melbourne Bitter, VB, Southwark and Carlton Draught are obviously notorious for being pissy blue collar lagers but I honestly enjoy them on a hot day. Don't get the appeal of Sol, Corona and other cervejas but again, I don't hate them.

Oh, really don't like TEDs either. More head than anything else.

Also generally not a fan of any kind of wheat beer, even ones well regarded by nerdy beery types.

I enjoyed plenty of VB when I was in both Australia and NZ.

Victoria_Bitter.jpg

I think this was before there were other good small breweries in NZ. Of course, this was before I found Speight's, too.

speights_old_dark.jpg

Tried this Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock. Wonderful grape, raisin, prune flavour. 12 % ABV knocks you on your ass, but is a great sipper beer as to me, almost bordered on a wine-esque taste.

Finishing up tonight with a Dark and Stormy Night from Picaroons Brewery. One of my favs.
Mix of a German dunkel and a traditional English ale. Has a very distinct taste, haven't had it in a few months so nice to have it again.

I had one of those XXX beers when I was in Australia. Was the worst of all Australian beers. VB is a nice water. ;)
When we were in Tasmania, me and my friend did the tour of the Carlton brewery in Hobart. It was a pretty nice one, and I found it was better organised than the Cadbury tour which we did after that.

Back
Top Bottom