Any Wine Snobs Here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saying 'I've had wine twice and it was shit' is like saying, I ate meat once and I didn't like it. Was it pork, beef, chicken, fish, venison, kangaroo, camel, yadda yadda. How was it cooked?

It really depends on what you were drinking, what variety, what quality. There are literally 100's of variables.

Well it was a nice looking box anyway

kidding rachel. I'm not much of a wine person either

as long as it doesn't taste too much like paint stripper i'm not fussy :D

wow, is $17.99 like a normal price for wine there? or is that expensive? if i pay 10 euros for a bottle of wine here i feel like i'm really pushing the boat out LOL (apart from real champagne obviously which i do splash out on for very special occasions, but that's never more than 35 euros for something i think is nice, like a Veuve Cliquot or something, LOL)

we can get everyday decent wine for say 4 or 5 euros a bottle... and nasty stuff which is fine for cooking for 0.50 euros a litre LOL

Around $20 is normal for a really quality bottle of wine, though there is some pretty good stuff in the $8-10 range.

Of course, you can pay much, much more if you want, and there is cheap wine that tastes like grape juice and grain alcohol but still gets the job done. :drunk:

When the occasion call for champagne, I like Moet & Chandon Imperial which I can usually find for around $35.

Around $20 is normal for a really quality bottle of wine, though there is some pretty good stuff in the $8-10 range.

Of course, you can pay much, much more if you want, and there is cheap wine that tastes like grape juice and grain alcohol but still gets the job done. :drunk:

When the occasion call for champagne, I like Moet & Chandon Imperial which I can usually find for around $35.

ahh ok thanks... i just checked the currency converter and $20 is roughly 15 euros, so prices sound fairly similar then...

Which reminds me, Dan, if you are going to be in NorCal and you like the bubbly stuff, I definitely recommend touring the Gloria Ferrer Caves and Vineyards.

Ditto on the the above...and I only drink red.

I'm a big fan of the top shelf wines and cost is never an issue; but I get just as much enjoyment out of a bottle of YellowTail, Rosemont Shiraz and Lindeman (each Aussie)...from the states, someone mentioned Oregon, yes! but don't forget Washington as well...

It goes without saying that La Crema is one of my favorites; I am a club member with Rubicon (now Inglenook - its not cheap folks, gotta read the story for the name change) Robert Hall, Kathryn Hall, and a little name called Sean Minor (if you can find it!) hit the little wine outlets...

I've also tried some Canadian blends from the area of Niagra by the Lakes...good stuff...

Remember - "Life too short to drink cheap wine!" Cheers!

My brother just came home from Nappa with a V Sattui 2008 Crow Ridge Vineyard Zinfandel.

Anyone had any experience? We don't get Zin's in Australia, what should I be looking out for when tasting?

So Aussies, new release Grange....

Anyone tasted yet? I was lucky enough to go to an event and sample.

Review below (no rating)

As this was only my second experience with Grange (my bottle of 1986 still untouched at home), I was keen to savour the moment, and derive as much as I could from the small sample I had.

The colour was vibrant and crimson, not as deep and dark as I had expected, the clarity of the wine only broken by the sediment forming in the glass. The wine completely coated the glass, taking an age to slide back into the bowl. The bouquet was immediately intoxicating, firstly a faint hint of fruitcake, an almost fortified smell that eased back to a rich mixture of black and blue fruit. I have read a few reviews that suggest liquorice and cigar box, and while they were noticeable, they were in no way dominant to me. Finally to taste.

It is hard to tell if the flavours that formed were entirely from the wine, or were partly from the weight of expectation: nevertheless the concentration and vibrancy in this glass was an absolute treat. A wine built to live up to 50+ years in a good vintage needs its fair share of tannins, and this wine had them in spades. What impressed, however, was how the fruit handled the weight of these tannins. While tasting, I was trying to recall words I had heard others use to describe this vintage: blackberry – yes, sweet fruits – yes, spice – yes, mocha – yes, creamy oak – YES. Checking off this list was like decoding a cipher. Each sip would completely coat the inside of the mouth, and the flavour would hold its line for an eternity. It appears to me at this stage that a lot of the ratings given to the Grange this year (I’ve seen 91’s through to 96’s) appear to be more relative to previous vintages, rather than comparing it to a scale consistent with the lexicon of Australian wine. That is, the ratings appear to have suffered because of past greatness, not of some fault in this wine.

Full story of the day on my blog.

Has anyone here got a cellartracker account?

If so, post your ID numbers below so we can be cellar buddies!

My ID is 239912

I like Yellow Tail's red Merlot from Australia, & I have had Frontier's red wines from Argentina, which is very good for your heart, because of the rich soil that it is grown in.

For a sweeter wines I like Sutter Home White Merlot & White Zinfandel

Back
Top Bottom