All things gym! Thread/Discussion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've realized in the last few months that it makes me almost sick to my stomach to see someone locking their knees out. Today I saw some woman sitting on a leg press machine. She had it on ridiculously low weight (maybe 15 or 20 lbs), and was just holding it there with her knees locked (almost looked like they were bending the wrong way), it made me sick to my stomach to see, but I couldn't look away as it was so strange. She would then do maybe one rep of actual leg press every 45 to 60 seconds. I have no idea what she thought she was doing.

Anyways, I typically get a kick out of watching people do bizarre things at the gym, but today grossed me out.

Anyways, I typically get a kick out of watching people do bizarre things at the gym, but today grossed me out.

The guy that does the weird straining lifts at the gym also wears a knit hat. Not weird in and of itself, but when he gets on the Elliptical machine, he pulls it down over his eyes so he can't see.

#BizarreGymHabits

The guy that does the weird straining lifts at the gym also wears a knit hat. Not weird in and of itself, but when he gets on the Elliptical machine, he pulls it down over his eyes so he can't see.

#BizarreGymHabits

WTF, hahahaha.

Years ago I saw a regular at Gold's Gym who would literally put on makeup once he got to the gym to apparently fire himself up to workout. No lie, he'd arrive to the gym makeup free. Once he got there, he'd go directly to the locker room to apply his 'warpaint". Then he'd go up to the elliptical, set it to easiest setting, and move it at Speedy Gonzalez speeds for about 15 mins. After that, he'd usually walk around and try to strike up conversations with people.

I literally had discussions about that guy with random people at work, and even complete strangers who'd randomly seen him at the gym. It was hilarious.

WTF, hahahaha.

Years ago I saw a regular at Gold's Gym who would literally put on makeup once he got to the gym to apparently fire himself up to workout. No lie, he'd arrive to the gym makeup free. Once he got there, he'd go directly to the locker room to apply his 'warpaint". Then he'd go up to the elliptical, set it to easiest setting, and move it at Speedy Gonzalez speeds for about 15 mins. After that, he'd usually walk around and try to strike up conversations with people.

I literally had discussions about that guy with random people at work, and even complete strangers who'd randomly seen him at the gym. It was hilarious.

Wow.
:lol::lol::lol:

I forgot to mention he wears glasses, too. So, the knit hat is pulled down over his glasses.

You don't notice at first, but when you do it is a serious WTF moment.

Up to running a 5K with inclination almost every day!

Hurts like hell, I'll tell ya. But feels good afterwards. What's generally a good time for a 5K?

Up to running a 5K with inclination almost every day!

Hurts like hell, I'll tell ya. But feels good afterwards. What's generally a good time for a 5K?

Nice. :up:

And no idea. :shrug:

I'm back up to an 18mph (29kph) average with good resistance on the exercise bike for a half hour again. Feeling better, but wanting this thick skin to start to slim down.

I'm working back up to a quarter-mile sprint, too. (I guess that's 400 meters.) Running that is, not on a bike.

I've been doing them in 26 minutes and change.

I'm going to enter some up in NYC to see what % I finish in. Wanting to finish at least above 50%, but I'd have no idea where I would finish. Though I still haven't ran it on the ground, so it wouldn't shock me if I'd add another minute to my time. But then again, I have the ability to sprint out the end; something I can't do on a treadmill.

I'm with ya on the thick skin! People always call me skinny. Likely because I am skinny. But I would much prefer to not have the unknown excess flubber.

Sprinting a lap... still never tried that because I don't have a track to use. Would like to do under 2 minutes.

Sprinting a lap... still never tried that because I don't have a track to use. Would like to do under 2 minutes.

It's one of the reasons I like my weird YWCA; we have the largest indoor track in Minnesota at 1/6 of a mile. So 1 and a half laps is easy to keep count.

I've always liked sprinting because I like being able to see the finish line.

^So, my sprinting probably led to me putting a tear in a disc in my lower back.
Bad news: I'm recovering slowly.
Good news: Goddamn I like steroids! I see why people abuse them.

lol...

I've been running so much now... last night I completed a 5K on the treadmill in 21:40 (and that includes the 20 seconds the machine takes to raise the speed). Paced on 6:58 a mile...

getting ready for my two first races here in New York! I'm excited. I want to get 7 minutes a mile on ground, so it'll be a task to replicate treadmill to floor.

The spine doctor I saw is about my age (almost 39) and had the same injury. We talked mostly about steroids and the proper use of them. Fascinating. For as much as I follow some sports and the Olympics, I've never read anything about steroids except that athletes abuse them and cancer patients need them.

(Then I talked to a friend who is a former Marine. Many guys he knew used their free-time to drive to Tijuana to get steroids. :yikes: )

lol...

I've been running so much now... last night I completed a 5K on the treadmill in 21:40 (and that includes the 20 seconds the machine takes to raise the speed). Paced on 6:58 a mile...

getting ready for my two first races here in New York! I'm excited. I want to get 7 minutes a mile on ground, so it'll be a task to replicate treadmill to floor.

Good luck.

The spine doctor I saw is about my age (almost 39) and had the same injury. We talked mostly about steroids and the proper use of them. Fascinating. For as much as I follow some sports and the Olympics, I've never read anything about steroids except that athletes abuse them and cancer patients need them.

The nice thing is that you now have an excuse if you ever get upset about anything, you can just blame it on "Roid Rage".

I think I'm going to try this out tonight:

Crazy Exercise Ball Trick�Video

If you don't hear from me, please call the paramedics.

Very nice. How did it go?

I slacked really hard for two or 3 weeks right before and during the 4th of July holiday. Been trying to come back really hard lately. Eating / juicing a mega-ton of fruit and vegetables, hitting the gym once or twice a day, etc. It's sad that you can forget how good you feel when you're healthy. Eating garbage may be fun for the short term, but makes you feel like garbage for the long term.

I ran the race with somewhat of a food borne illness which made me almost throw up around mile marker 3 but I was able to hold it down... I could feel it all slushing around in my stomach though lol.

I set my goal for 7:30 a mile and practically shattered that without even knowing which was pretty cool. I have a smaller race in 11 days that I'm pretty excited for... I want to put a 6 on the minutes column :)

How do you get to that stage where you enjoy gym? "how good you feel when you're healthy". How can you go to gym twice a day?!?!

nice, Seven.

I dunno. I've been told that having a six pack feels better than any food tastes.

I don't enjoy the gym at all. I enjoy the feeling after finishing up at the gym. I enjoy the feeling of finishing the run. Every single time it's an accomplishment of somewhere I've never been before.

Does anyone swim for exercise?

I really should swim for my back and joints, but I refuse to be penned in the dumb swim lanes. (I also refuse to use our local E. coli-prone lakes).

I need to start swimming... yesterday I completed two thirds of a Sprint Tri and I want to enter in said race but I'd end up dead in the water if I had to swim a quarter mile in open water. Plus, being in open water is one of my biggest fears. If I could swim that distance, I would surely have a panic attack half way through anyways.

Interesting subject and an issue I can relate to very well. I've never liked sports and I've never done much sports. However, last year I managed to lose a lot of weight with fasting and a new diet. I lost more than 15 kilos, weight I had been carrying with me for 30+ years of my life. I grew up hearing day by day that I had to eat everything up and I wasn't allowed to leave the table unless my plate was empty.

And I come from a very meat loving family with a lot of sweets and fat stuff on their plates. My strongest act of rebellion against that tradition was becoming a vegetarian at 20 after I had moved out. They still cannot deal with that. :lol:

So I kind of lost my natural sense of feeling saturated and being able to say when I'm having enough. I'm still struggling against that a lot, because once I start to eat it's difficult for me to quit eating, I have to stop radically - or not eat anything at all. That's basically how I managed to lose weight, it was indeed quite radical. After the fasting periods I changed my diet completely and watched my calories very closely. I read and learned a lot about food, but I developed a total disliking of all kinds of diets, because I know from experience (and from many other people) that everyone reacts differently to certain diets: While a diet may be great for one person and help them to control their weight, it may be totally useless for another person.

So I found out I had to get over myself and do a lot of excercise to be able to keep my weight despite my bad eating habits. I got used to doing all sorts of stuff I'd never thought I'd do. The things that helped me the most has been regular gynmastics, Pilates, dancing, walking, and most of all: swimming. Ironically, I swim more in the winter than I do in summer, because it's so dependent on the weather. I walk a lot, I walk to every place I can reach without having to use public transport and I don't have a car. Most people I know don't even walk half the ways I do, they all think I'm crazy :lol:

I love to dance. I do training with weights to build up some muscle mass. The more I excercise, the easier it becomes. I still don't exactly love every bit of training, but I enjoy the feeling of having done something good for your body and health. I don't mind sweating. Unfortunately I started having some problems with my spine and my knee - due to an injury I suffered half a year ago - so I cannot run as much as I used to - the truth is that I shouldn't run at all - and I have difficulties doing certain positions in yoga. So I have to take care of my limitations, but apart from that I enjoy the training, even if it means having to get up an hour earlier because I have so much to do that I don't really have much time for the gym.

How can you go to gym twice a day?!?!

I wake up early and do cardio at a gym that's just a few blocks from my place. We have a gym at work, and I lift weights there during lunch 3 or 4 times a week.

How to enjoy it, tougher question. For me, make sure you're going regularly enough that you can actually see results, otherwise you'll feel like you're just spinning your wheels.

i'm always at my happiest when i'm super active... i've spent most of my life doing some kind of sport/physical training every or nearly every day over the years, started off with horse-riding from young, then dance/yoga/pilates, then physical theatre training (including acrobatics, yoga etc.), then back to horse-riding again (not plodding - lots of knackering stuff like jumping and fast work) and right now i'm training every day (riding) - i just love the feeling of getting fit and getting my body back to how it's meant to be (after years of being a mum lol) and that feeling of being exhausted but in a good way - my work is intellectual so the sport side just clears my head - it's my safety valve and keeps me sane... the times i'm not riding i feel really shabby and not well in myself... so it's just something i have to do... it's kind of addictive... it really is a good all-over work-out too - the other day i did a whole training sesh without stirrups to work on my position and the next day my legs and abs were totally killing me - was in agony lol

it's kind of hard-wired into me and my siblings too, which is strange - we all grew up each completely into our own sports, and we still are, even now we're all old codgers lol

so i've decided to start p90x next week. anyone have experience with this?

i would say i'm a beginner when it comes to workout ruitines, so i'm a bit nervous. i had a good running routine last year, but this looks a lot more intense.

I've never done it myself, but have had a handful of people I know do it. From what I gather, it's pretty exhausting no matter what your fitness level is.

I had a personal training session on Friday but I slept through my alarm. I woke up 3 hours after the training session would have been over. :doh: I do personal training 1-2 times a week because I have a bad shoulder and want to strengthen the area without injuring it. It's also really helped kick my butt into shape.

Back
Top Bottom