All of Mrs. Garrison's stories HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dangerously close to the promised land

Fresh back from a long deployment, I was on mandatory leave, and for some reason I thought I would be a good idea to get as wasted as humanly possible day after day and night after night. Not just wasted in the typical sleep it off the next day sense, but wasted as in I might not sleep for a week. Because when you sleep, after walking the trail for so long, the demons know you are off guard, at your most weakest and vulnerable.

Sand blasting winds in your ears and rib rattling, heart pounding days lead into nights that you pray the noises and sickness will stop. When that doesn't happen, you seek out whatever you can to silence the chaos. Only chaos knows its own ending will trigger something of an avalanche, calm waters surrounded by the boiling pits of hell.

At a greasy spoon in the middle of someplace unremarkable, i'd finished up a plate full of typical grilled fare and fries. Soon after it was time to go to the bathroom and get another bump. Passing the unlikely payphones and around the corner I made my way into the sleazy two stall affair, smelling of cheap cologne and cigarettes, I noticed the condom machine on the wall from the reflection in the mirror as I splashed water on my sweaty face.

A middle aged man walks into the restroom, locks eyes with me for a few moments, as if he was waiting on me to move so he could use the sink. Eventually I move out of his way, over towards the stall where maybe I could get a moment of privacy to do my thing.

After a few moments in the stall I emerge, still with jitters flowing through my veins. Im surprised to see the middle aged man still standing in front of the sink. He looks at me again, somewhat hesitantly, he asks me to have a bite to eat with him. Im having a hard time looking the man in the eyes, probably because I felt uncomfortable or because the writing on the walls was more interesting. "No....thanks....ive just ate" I half mumble in response, taking stock of the cobwebs in the corner by the floor.

"Are you sure....my treat" he says, opening up his jean jacket enough to reveal what looked like a pharmacy in his inside pocket. I look him in the eyes and shake my head to indicate I wanted no part of the party in his jacket. He flicks his hands dry, looks me up and down in a condescending manner, turns away towards the door and gives it a yank. At first the door doesn't open, must have been hung up at the top, so he gives it another pull when he somehow loses balance and falls backwards, hitting his head on the porcelain sink on the way down and then again on the hard floor.

The man lays on the floor unconscious, with an abrasion on his head and a bruise over his eye. I step over him to get the hell out of the bathroom and the greasy spoon when I notice the hallway connecting the bathrooms to the dining room are empty, the only noise coming from the dining room and some country music playing at low volume on the intercom.

I walk back into the restroom, the man is still passed out on the floor, I try to rouse him but nothing doing. So I decide to search his jacket pockets, taking what I want from his drug collection and discarding the rest. He had a bundle of cash in another pocket, I helped myself to that as well. Then I noticed it, shining back at me from the other side of his body near the waistline. A shiny black revolver tucked into his pants, loaded and ready to cock and rock. I take the shiny gun into my right hand, hold it out to see how it feels, and given the firepower im used to I wasn't impressed.

The door to the bathroom opened at this very moment im standing over the man on the floor holding his gun. It was one of the fry cooks, he looked me in the eye and froze, before I knew what had happened the gun was pointing at the cook and a round had just went through his chest, sending him back out the door and into a pile of blood and twisted flesh in the hallway between the bathrooms.

I stepped out of the bathroom and noticed a curious head peering out of the women's restroom, looked like the waitress who had given me lukewarm service. I felt the grease turn in my stomach as I watched something rip through her head and send chunks of brain matter and bone all over the walls behind where she had stood. Somewhere I think I heard a scream, so I stepped over her lifeless body and came upon a couple of the cooks who had were standing in an exit at the end of the hallway, apparently they heard the commotion while out on their smoke break. Both of them collapsed like a ton of bricks, lit cigarettes still in their mouths, they were dead before they hit the ground.

Calmly I returned to the bathroom, careful to wipe my fingerprints off of the gun, I placed it into the owners hand, who was slowly starting to come to on the floor of the bathroom. He was woozy and barely coherent. I got in his face and whispered to him a smile "thanks for dessert, pal."

With that I quickly snuck out the back exit of the greasy spoon, careful to step over the mess of bodies in the hallway, the entrance to the womens' room, and the back doorway. I made it to my car which was parked on the side of the place, void of any windows, and calmly navigated my way out of the parkling lot.

I turned on the radio and lit a cigarette, looking as I went for a bottle stashed somewhere in the front of the car under several days worth of trash. I'd have to watch my speed, as an army cops blew past me in a cloud of dust in desperate attempt to capture the man holed up in the bathroom of the greasy spoon.

Hopefully my next stop would take me to the promised land.

She sat out on a bench, alone in the warmth of a vibrant spring day, looking towards the wind underneath the birds gazing circles. I watched her for as long as I could bear. The courage came and went, and returned again, for me to approach the wise old woman.

I knew she was blind, what I didn't realize though was just how much she could actually see. Every person gave off an aura invisible to the human eye, but clear to the deep reaches of the untapped corridors of the mind.

She told me what I had eaten for lunch by a stain on my shirt of which I was not even aware. She knew a man had sat at this very bench in the park and smoked a cigarette in the morning, calmly, before getting on a bus and going downtown to the home of his mistress with whom he had an affair.

She told stories of bodies planted by the enemies of people both good and bad, bodies planted to lure them into some complicated scheme or psychological warfare. The days of out- flanking your adversary were all but gone. Luring them into a well crafted cage of deceit was much more rewarding.

She could still smell the smoke of man who spoke of the end of time with great expectations and enthusiasm. She would also tell me that if you lay down and watch the skies you can see atoms racing away from you. And the clouds bursting into flames, which most people ignore, as the bells chime at sunset.

She spoke of her Native American heritage only briefly, she was more interested in mine. And also she was very puzzled by the darkness that echoed in my voice. I sat and reflected on the events of the last few days...weeks...months. Time has left me in a tailspin, I wasn't sure how long I had been gone from the military, how long it had been since the greasy spoon, how long it had been since I had ditched the car or how I made it from the desert to here.

She wanted to know what the war was like. Frankly, I was trying to remember what I left behind, those set of horrors, you really cant ever leave them because they follow you throughout your days.

I spoke of landing in the middle of the battle, my heart racing like a locomotive with my senses trying their best to keep up. Sweat running down your face mixed with tears, not knowing which was which was confusing. Those blast furnace winds, the heat from the fires, the smoke filled lungs, explosions everywhere. At first it was hell, then chaos, then more hell, mixed with brief periods of eerie calm and tranquility.

Those sleepless night didn't every really go away. The days bleed into one another, the trigger finger hasn't ever healed completely. Just as a new season blooms out of an old fading season, things change and beauty can be found in the stomach of even the most wretched beast.

The bullets zinging past you were almost welcome gestures of good will assuming they didn't hit you. Their sheer velocity alone created small bursts of cooler air which brought momentary comfort. The brilliant flashes of light only blinded you at first, after that the light show as fantastic, along with the thunderous sounds of heavy metal crashing through the earth and transforming man and machine into a twisted flesh and blood symphony.

I learned not to fear those sounds anymore, just as I learned to accept the smell of burning flesh and blood spraying into my face from a fresh nearby kill. Every new day the armor was getting thicker and the machine got tougher.

Eventually the sounds of screaming and physical anguish were music to my ears, and I prayed the music would keep playing and the show would never end.

The call to prayer; morning, evening, whatever. It was absolute bliss. We had been out on patrol but took advantage of this brief opportunity to take a rest and eat our MRE's. Yes we would need the protein and the break felt good. Almost as good as the calming air when the wind picked up ever so slightly with the setting of the sun.

It doesn't rain here often, if ever, but i could clearly see anvils in the sky which reminded me of home in a serious fashion. I pointed this out to another guy in my squad who grew up in the midwest and knew what storm clouds looked like. We decided to wander up towards the top of a nearby hill to get a better view, so we gathered our weapons and gear and off we went.

A few minutes later we were at the top of the hill to see the best view of this phenomenon, the setting sun provided a dramatic contrast to this desert oddity. That is when we heard the humming sound, faint at first. Down the hill on the other side and into a valley we saw what appeared to be some sort of shipping container, like they transport on vessels. We radioed back to the squad that we were going to check it out and proceeded down the other side of the hill.

As we approached the container, the sound became slightly louder, and constant, almost a low pitched drone. Off in the distance we saw what appeared to be lights in the sky, with the giant anvils as backdrop. We didn't know if the lights belonged to some large towers or what.

The container was bigger than we had expected. There were no signs of a vehicle dropping it off at this remote location, no tractor trailer, no tire tracks, etc. Just this random thing sitting almost abandoned with mostly untouched earth surrounding it. We walked around the side of it to look for any type of markings which might identify it, but there was nothing, only structural ridges and the occasional vent here or there. It was brown in color like the desert, so from afar it would blend in perfectly.

The large gray anvils in the sky were apparently getting closer, so i suggested it might be time to go back and re-join the squad. About that time there was a metallic popping sound, along with a creaking sound of a hinge opening. Around the side of the container a door had slowly began to open. We approached cautiously with our weapons pointed into the darkness and stopped a few meters from the open passage inside.

We waited for what seemed like an eternity but what was actually probably only a few minutes, finally calling out a greeting in the native tongue as well as our own. This was followed by more silence, darkness, and void. I exchanged nervous glances with my fellow squad member at this situation, neither one of us were sure exactly what we should do. Since there were only two of us it might not be a good idea to proceed any further as we didn't know what awaited us inside. I had considered radioing back to the squad to report the situation and request backup, at this point i realized the radio was dead.

Then it appeared in front of us from the depths of darkness, a tall slender robed figure. It raised a long slender arm and with a pale hand it motioned use inside. We stood there frozen in fear, exchanged glances at each other, unsure what to do. The tall figure turned and seemed to almost float back into the cavernous depths of darkness from which it had emerged. The wind picked up furiously behind us as a massive storm was approaching. Swirling dust made it hard for us to see at first, and then breathe. We reluctantly entered the mysterious darkness of the open door in front of us.....

Almost immediately upon entry, my head began to hurt from the change in air pressure. Not the kind of pain im used to from a minor headache, more of a dizziness, perhaps i wasnt sure of my surroundings and out of touch with my senses. There was a vacuum around us as the large door behind us from which we had entered began to close. With a thud we were separated from the desert outside and at least momentarily we were captive to the unseen forces of the dark void in which we were faced.

We began to feel lightheaded, hot, and nauseated. My head was spinning as i fell to my knees. I began to strip off as much of my gear as possible; helmet, gas mask, flak vest, etc. I went to drink water from my canteen but threw up before i could get the lid off. I had the sensation that we were tumbling end over end into some giant bottomless void. I called out for help to my squad member and he responded in kind, but i could not see him and i could no longer feel his presence or hear his breathing next to me. This was it, my last thoughts confronted me, we were dying. And then it was all over.

I woke up out of breath and gasping for air, desperately clutching at my chest with each involuntary heave. The other hand was clawing at the ground, or surface, of whatever this place was that i was in. Still drawing deep breaths, i was able to see somewhat, and noticed my fellow squad member laying near me motionless, undressed from the waist up. I was able to drag myself over to him and tried to rouse him, but nothing doing. Then i noticed some cuts on his upper body and blood, i yelled his name and shook him but there was no response.

Something was calling out to me from the distance, not in sound but in a strange frequency of which i was not usually accustomed to or aware of. As i focused i could see several of the tall robed figures standing in what appeared to be a doorway. Their eyes were almost piercing me from the dark hooded robes in which they wore, almost fluorescent eyes one moment, and completely dark the next. I was summoned towards them and i crawled to the direction of the dim lighted opening.

They turned and ushered me into the narrow corridor, lit midway by candles on the walls. I was able to get somewhat on my feet and follow them, with all of the might i could muster, it felt as though we were climbing upwards. Several times along the way i stumbled or fell down, they might wait on me to catch back up, momentarily, as we continued up the stony path.

This journey went on for minutes and turned into hours after hours, when i looked back in the direction in which we had came i couldn't see much of anything that made sense. That was the only way i know how to describe it, in one direction we were ascending a pathway of sorts, the other, absolutely nothing. Finally we came to the top of the climb and the tall robed figures abruptly stopped and parted way on each side of the path, leaving an opening in front of them. One of the them extended a thin pale hand towards me and gestured me to enter the opening, alone.

Once inside of the odd shaped opening, i felt as though i had entered an ancient palace, artifacts and treasure abound. I cautiously and nervously put one foot in front of the other until i had lost myself in the mysterious place. The tall robed figures standing guard behind me, i realized that the walkway under my feet was paved with precious metals, gloriously leading towards something of a centerpiece to this giant room which sat high and was surrounded on each side by four spires. As i approached the pyramid shaped center of the room, each of the four spires light up instantly with a giant flame, and a voice unlike anything i have ever heard or felt before commanded me to stop.

I knelt down in front of this pyramid and looked up to see to whom or what i was paying my respects. A large skinless and bloody head sat atop the stone pyramid, its eyes were staring down directly into mine, with much intensity and i could almost feel the gaze cooking my soul. It spoke with a thunderous command, echoing throughout the palace, from chamber to chamber, treasure to holy treasure.

A small trickle of blood ran from the top of the pyramid down to the steps to where i knelt in front of it. I dipped my finger into the blood at first, and then i knelt down even further and began to drink the stream of blood, as i had been commanded to by the thunderous voice. As i drank of this blood i was electrified, peaceful, powerful, and i had gained a new level of understanding, the depths and levels of which i could not fully comprehend or explain in human form. But for a moment at least, i was all powerful and knowledgeable. The greatest drug in this world was clearly not of this world, but often spoke of by people who wanted out of it.

The deity spoke to me as i looked into its divine eyes and i understood the message very clear. It reminded me that of my actions there would be great consequences, yet of my inaction there would be even greater consequences of catastrophic proportions, of which there would be great sorrow and suffering. As commanded i drank some more of the holy blood that ran in a thin stream off of the golden bricks below, and then i slipped off into a deep dark sleep.

Back on the park bench, the blind Native American woman asked me, "what did this deity command of you in his temple?"

I sat and stared at the ground, lost in my thoughts. Finally i answered her, "in a voice not of this earth, or this world, God said to me, the same energy i use to love my fellow man is the energy i would have to use to destroy him. I would know the ones for they would be marked by Angels, as am i, and i was chosen, along with others, to start the process which would begin the spiritual transformation from earth to heaven...or as the scripture calls out...the rapture"

"I see!" she said, "the Biblical rapture. Everyone with two eyes is expecting one big obvious calamity, an event" She cackled, "this is brilliant, as nobody with good eyes will see this one coming....noone"

I just looked at her. "Actually there is more....He literally wants me to destroy...HIM" I stared off into space....."all of the other chosen ones have been given this task as well....earth will merely be our practice field...."

Because nobody really wants to live for eternity, do they?

Looking into the depths of my drink, i wish i would have stirred it more. The reflection staring back at me from the ice cubes and liquid is not one ill remember well. Such is life. As we often have these moments of not so obvious clarity. Like staring off into a disturbed sky and pretending you don't know what lies beyond the layered clouds. A vision you've seen a million times, but for this one, you'll remain unsure.

A vacant hole in the middle of an exotic island, somewhat remote from the touristy types, i find myself marooned in what my mind can only decipher as a sadistic version of groundhog day. While i haven't killed anyone in some time, im not exactly keeping score on that, i do find myself consuming every possible drug i can get my hands onto. Anything i can get into my system is fair game and welcome torture.

My soul still has some score to settle with fate, karma, and all of the gods who haunt it. Not to mention all of the demons who keep chase. Every new day i wake up with regret of the things i have done and the things i still have to do. Running from a freight train every night and all i have is a donkey.

Work in the village is sparse but it gets me through. Enough currency to keep me fed and a tiny hut in the jungle near the beach to sweat the night away. More importantly, i have the means to acquire all of the booze and drugs i need to get me through until the next day.

The unremarkable bar separates the village proper from the wild jungle. A lot of interesting things lurk in the jungle. I tried to get the sickness but it may have been only an illusion. Still, the shadows whisper directions at me in a foreign language. I want to follow them but haven't gotten to their level quite yet.

A woman, local type, will sit down at a table next to me and stare at me for a spell. She looks deeply at my eyes and rants to noone in particular about my perceived aura. Her incantations do me no harm, and soon she is off with them into the night. I'm not spooked by her presence one bit. The guy who follows in her footsteps is a different story. A young, thin, pale white guy with dark hair and black clothing takes up residence at the table nearby. He's smoking something exotic and singing along to the groove coming from the speaker.

I take to my drink, thinking this clown pussy is not someone i had seen before. Everyone knows everyone else here, so you are either a local, or something else entirely.

Its unclear how long i have been here, this place, this table, this spot on the map which may or may not exist. My napkin fell off of my lap onto the floor. I would pick it up but going down might cause me to get sick. My eating utensils were scattered all over the table in disarray. As i tried to pick them up to cut into the pig, my hand shook so badly that i dropped them onto my lap and then onto the floor.

The stranger seated next to me, noticing my weakness, took the opportunity to ask about my well being. I didn't want the conversation one bit, but something about him was hard to ignore. He stood up as if to leave, only to pause in front of me, inviting me back to his hut for god-only-knows what type of activity. It would either be drugs, sex, or possibly both. Nobody is desperate for companionship here.

So naturally i accepted his invitation. If i had to blow him for some more drugs, so be it. Maybe i would get my strength back and take him out into the jungle and bury him alive. Surely nobody would miss him. Maybe a stray meteor would fry us both, setting off a chain reaction of fireballs, mudslides, tsunamis, and massive death and destruction. If only i could be so lucky.

Through the jungle i followed this strange guy, barely able to hear his chanting over the chorus of insects and spooks. We made it back to his tiny hut and sat down on the woven floor cover. He lit some sort of pipe and began to cultivate something exotic for us to partake.

At first i sensed the world had finally stopped spinning. Ultimate serenity. The waves would turn and reverse themselves and retreat back towards their vast inception. The moon beams were brighter than ever, intense and silencing the jungle night. Rocks began to crumble away into the ocean. The sand on the beach was turning into glass.

As i began to sense all of these things around me, near and afar, the smoke in front of me parted to reveal the stranger had a much different face from what i had previously seen. This creature sitting across from me, nothing short of a monster. A hideous monster, face carved with fire and molten lava, his eyes curved and red like the fires we used to create. He smiled at me with a mouthful of daggers and laughed with an eruption of hellish echoes.

I stood up, trying to keep my footing, looking around desperately for some blunt object with which to kill this freakish twisted fuck. In my pocket i had a small knife, i reached for it as sweat poured down my face. I felt chills, my body was breaking out in a cold sweat, as i pulled the knife out of my pocket, my body was shaking so badly i couldn't hold onto it. It fell to the floor of the hut. I started to reach down for it and lost my balance.

At this point the pressure in my chest felt as though i had been propelled from the bottom of the ocean to the upper layers of the atmosphere in a split second. Shock and pain riveted throughout my body. I gasped for air and held my hand out towards the stranger...mouthing one simple request...help.

A long walk through hospital corridors always tends to make one think about things. Some things get put into perspective, others become less obvious than desired. Our guide led us through sanitary passageways on our quest to meet with sick or wounded children. Our volunteer group would do this once a month, typically on a weekend, and the highlight of these children's day was special to us as well. While on one hand we felt as though we were doing something good, on the other hand, we left wishing would could do so much more.

After the visitation we were whisked away to a reception area where a brief awards ceremony would be held to honor us for our contributions. Some military dignitaries were there as well as hospital officials and members of the local city government. After we each received our awards and recognition, it was time to fold up shop and leave the hospital and back to normal civilian life for a few hours. We couldn't wait to get home and out of our military dress uniforms.

I was on my way towards the exit of the childrens' wing when i heard some commotion off in the distance, coming from one of the rooms. The others with me didn't notice and kept on going, but not I, who couldn't ignore what had gotten my attention. I slipped away from the group and down the long hallway as the commotion got louder. A girl was screaming about something, not sure what, but she was either very scared or in a lot of pain.

As i found her room i opened the door to find her on the other side trying to get out. She ran out of the room screaming that something was trying to get her. That is when i noticed two kittens underneath her bed, both of them seemed very preoccupied with something. I could see they were pouncing and retreating, and there was some hissing sounds coming from under the bed. I cautiously approached and this is when i noticed, to my horror, the kittens were not alone. Under the bed a giant snake was coiled up and prepared to strike, it head raised, its exposed fangs in a wide opened mouth. The poor kittens didn't stand a chance. I was terrified but i tried to coax the kittens out from under the bed. They had a scared look on their innocent little faces. Obviously they were curious but they had no idea what danger they had encountered.

The logic of 'how in the hell did a snake get loose in the children's ward of a hospital' might have eclipsed the previous logic of 'what in the hell are kittens doing in a hospital' for a second or two. I backed out of the room in a panic, shut the door so as the snake wouldn't get out, half ran and half slid my way to the nurses station, nearly out of breath, i was trying to warn them of the situation i had found in that room. The nurse at the station just gave me that old blank stare of disbelief. I tried to repeat it but realized i was running out of time if i wanted to save those poor kittens. I settled for "CALL SECURITY!" and then took off to try and find some object i could used to attack the snake with....this is a hospital...im thinking..surely they have knives and such here! Finally i see a closet of some type that was open, inside i see a custodian stocking a rolling cart with cleaning supplies. I ran into this closet and began searching for something, anything, that i could use to try and pin down the snake so that the kittens could escape. The custodian was alarmed to see me as i desperately began rummaging through all of the contents. "Sir, is there something i can help you with?" she asked. I had found a broom and figured this would have to do, i looked at her and pointed out towards the hallway and was able to utter the word "SNAKE!". She looked at me with uncertainty as i took of with her broom.

Down the hall and outside the closed door i stood, broom in my right hand, my left hand shook as i slowly opened the door. Inside the room the little girl laid on her bed reading a children's book the we had brought for her. She smiled at me and said "hello mister" with her sweet little voice as I looked around the room frantically searching for the snake. On the chair next to her bed i noticed a stuffed toy kitten with a bow in its fur. I realized there was no snake or real kittens in the room. Embarrassed, i waved goodbye to the little girl and cautiously made my way back out of her room.

Once back in the hallway, i could see a security guard standing at the nurses station talking to the nurse. She pointed towards me as she spoke and the security guard started to walk towards me, calling out "Sir, can you come here please? SIR.." I turned the other way with the broom and walked very quickly in the opposite direction. These hallways seemed to go on forever but eventually i came across another custodial closet, which might be a good place to hide out for a bit, as well as lose the broom, i thought to myself. So i snuck into the closet and closed the door behind me.

Maybe i had been working too hard...too many deployments...too much time in combat. These thoughts went rushing through my head as i tried to rationalize what i had seen in that girls room under the bed. My dress greens were pretty well soaked with sweat now and my heart was still racing. I slid down towards the floor to try and calm down and think about my next move. That's when i heard the hissing sound. Even though it was dark in the closet, i could still see a little bit, and to my horror my eyes focused in on the large snake. Its eyes glowed and it moved like lightning as it came towards me. I held my hand out to try and deflect it but all i did was give it something to latch onto. I screamed as the snake took a hold of my left hand, i tried beating it with my fist to get it to let go, but nothing could make the beast loosen its grip on me. I could see deep into it's eyes as it injected its venom into me.

"SIR! Are you alright?" the security guard yelled at me as he turned on the light to the custodial closet and found me laying on the floor, holding my left hand with my right, blood trickling down my arm. I scrambled to get up off of the floor, slipping in my own sweat and confusion. The pain in my hand was burning, the sensation traveled from my hand up my arm. "SNAKE!" i gasped, pointing towards the floor, as i scurried to get the hell out of the closet of my horrors. The security guard shined his flashlight to the corners of the closet looking for the snake.

Meanwhile i went running through the hall now at a full sprint, holding my wounded hand, desperately looking for medical help. Back at the nurses station i stood pale and shaken, dripping blood onto the counter, all i could say was "DOCTOR...WHERE IS YOUR DOCTOR!" The nurse pointed down to a room behind me and said in a low voice "he's waiting for you in there."

I made it back to the little girls' room to find an older gentleman sitting in the chair next to her bed. He had silver hair, and wore a concerned look behind generic brown glasses, on an otherwise unremarkable face. I pleaded with him to give me an antidote to the poison in my veins. The little girl laid in her bed and said nothing as she stared up at me. The doctor examined my hand carefully and tried to stop the bleeding with a sanitary towel. He looked me in the eyes and told me they didn't have any cure for me. Then he looked down at the little girl who laid in her bed, with perhaps some regret, and then back towards me. "She's not going to make it, she is terminal. The only way you can save yourself is if you drink from her body, her blood" the doctor said. His words were murky and hard to make out through his mumbling, but still, i was horrified at his suggestion. The girl stared at me with sad eyes, as the doctor drew some of her blood and put it into a paper cup and handed it to me, "this is your only chance, or you will die with her"

"NO! it's a mistake!" I said, trembling, as the pain raced all throughout my body. "Yes indeed it is.." the doctor said casually and evenly, as he took off his glasses and set them down on a table, "but some mistakes were meant to be made..."

Outside the yellow sun burned in the distance opposite of gray clouds from a retreating storm. A rainbow left it's signature on the ominous backdrop as if to announce it's departure. As the thunder began to fade away, i slowly began to awaken. Things in the room started to come into focus, the pictures on the wall, the window which let a little view of the storm into the room, the machines that were hooked up to me that were supposed to give me life.

I felt a general numbness over my body, my head felt like luggage, the rest of me disconnected. I could see the doctor smile as he spoke but i was having a hard time making out what he was trying to say. Something about he was afraid that they were going to lose me. He was a brilliant man but somewhat of a low talker or mumbler at times. My medicine head would not allow me to fully comprehend what he would say, but i did catch on to this bit; "only he who tames the beast will be able to master it" the Doc said as he patted me on the leg and stood up over me. He then advised me to get some rest as he turned and walked out of the room, shutting the door closed behind him.

I really had no idea what was going on or why i was here in this room. A machine occasionally beeped at me while flashing numbers i did not understand. An IV ran into my right arm and i noticed a bandage on my left hand. As i looked around the room, a picture on the wall of two kittens stared playfully down at me in my bed. Underneath my bed, i thought i detected a faint hissing sound, as i drifted back off to sleep...

Back
Top Bottom