A little help about stereotypes !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elann

War Child
Hi everybody !
I don't know if I'm on the right forum to ask this question, so sorry in advance !
I'm doing kind of a poll that will illustrate a presentation about stereotypes and I have a question for you, my english speaker friends :D

When you think about France and French, what are the first things that come to your mind ?

Thanks in advance :wave:

I think avant garde; arty films & books, music and clothes etc. And I think of Edith Piaf :lol:

Eating snails :p

And uh... a dude in a striped shirt and a beret, with a mustache, riding a bicycle with French bread in a basket on the front :lol:

And I think a lot of French people are snooty.

Personally, I've always been a little amused by the way people seem to hate the French. I used to want to make a parody of those "Kiss me, I'm Irish" shirts, by making one that said "Hate me, I'm French."

Thanks guys !
I love to see what people think about the french and I'm sure I'm going to have fun doing this presentation !
I would sure love to wear one "hate me I'm french" shirt :D

i try not to think about france or paris. not to think about the walks we took along the River Seine. strolling thru the lush vineyards. making the pilgrimage to Lourdes. the kisses stolen.....................................ah who the hell am i kidding? i never even left the state of florida.:reject::D

someone wearing a blue and white striped long sleeve top with a red scarf and a black beret carrying a french stick. . . loaf? that long bread thing.

and of course I think of Carrie Bradshaw standing on the balcony looking at the Eiffel Tower:love:

la langue est très beau, des gens sympa, baguette, paris, tous le monde est assis a la terasse d'un café...

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-heade animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries!

I'm French, why do you think I have this outrageous accent?!

I think of older guys with French faces and just shouting out all sorts of obscene things - just generally losing their head at something small - being divas.

I think of berets, baguettes, bicycles, long hair, romantic city, style, ciggies, wind, dark atmosphere and non-filling food.

:)

Stereotypes are pretty interesting I guess. I've been to France for 19 years now, and NEVER have I seen the man in the blue and white striped shirt with the beret and the baguette under his arm. :wink:
Are those shirts something from Bretagne or so? :hmm: The navy and white is their colour.

Yep apparently, the image of the guy wearing a stripped top comes from Bretagne...
I've seen some people wearing that kind of shirts but.... hum... there are people wearing bubble suits too, and that's not a big deal, if you see what I mean....

Almost every summer holiday and that GOD AWFUL Dover > Calais ferry crossing.

(I forgot both of those from my initial reply to this thread :up: And :lol: at the 'Hate Me, I'm French' t-shirts... I'm getting me one of those!)

Aahh telement!! :lol: :up:

Ooh I want one of those! I'm sure the Ontarians here would love it! :wink:

Quand je pense a la France, toute est romantique...les gens assis sur des petites terasses d'un café.

Oui, France et les gens sont trés romantique, a mon avis :up:

Honestly the first thing I think about is work because it involves French.

After that: gorgeous countryside, the Alps, fresh bread, markets, these biscuit tins, heatwaves and thunderstorms, french films, politics, rap music, people sitting outside chatting and drinking.

I think that in general the French are really lovely. When I was at school and universisty most of my tutors said they wanted to live in France/owned homes there. I have never heard a Spanish teacher say they'd want to live in Spain, most said they couldn't. If we could, I'd want to move to France too.

i used to think of croissants. but now that i've been there, i think of the gypsies begging, the homeless people tents which line the river, the smell of dog wee, the alarming number of pet shops, the louvre. ok, so this is paris... but i just can't get my head out of that shitty, dirty, gorgeous city.
:love:

Back
Top Bottom