A Day Without the Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Okay people, let's pretend that it's 1995 or something... you know, before the internet came into common usage... and describe your typical day for me. See if you can re-create that typical day in 2008. A day without the internet.

okay, BACK THEN, I used to walk it a lot, even to and from town, I was with the Skydiving Club. I used to go clubbing too. I watched TV. Read. Erm, no at that time was not using a computer.

so like, happy now Mister? :wink:

:D:D

could I do it today? dunno, once you have a taste, your strength in desiring can vary (person to person).

I don't think I can remember back that far. I know I used to write a lot of letters because I had always had pen pals and was so good about sending birthday, get well, etc cards to friends and family. I wrote in a journal too. I was much more active then when my son was 9. He kept me quite busy with his school schedule, and his sports and social life. I also volunteered a lot of my time at the school and in the soccer club, little league etc.

Wow that's going so far back lol. Helps that I got my license that year so could make do without having internet :wink:

Typical day for me was school during the week then hanging out at a friend's house on the weekend. Also watching X-Files every Friday night and reading during my other free time.

I would get up at 6 am for school. This time 13 years ago, I was a freshman in high school. Be there from 7:10 to 2:10, then have track practice till 4:30, shower, dinner, homework, tv, sleep, and do it all over again tomorrow. Glad those days are over.

I watched a lot of TV back then. Nowadays, I hardly ever watch TV, except for the morning weather and news.

Hmm, well I was in fifth grade, so I spent most of my free time playing with my friends or taking dance lessons. Ahh, innocence. I would give up internet for that lifestyle again.

Go to school (I was in high school in '95), hang out with friends, read and maybe watch a little bit of TV. I would most likely have music practice, production rehearsals, or any number of things to do after school was out for the day. I was pretty busy.

I watched a lot of TV back then. Nowadays, I hardly ever watch TV, except for the morning weather and news.

Same here! I used to watch a lot more TV but nowadays it's either CNN or TBS reruns, for the most part.

When is it going to be "A Day Without Zoots"? :hyper:

:madwife:

I think the question would be "what would Zoots be doing at 2:59am" if there was no internet? :hmm: :wink:

:lol: I have weird timings now at work... I'm working late in the evening so I'm still wide awake at 3 am and only go to bed around 4 or even 5. :crack:

I was in college so...
wake up
ride bike to class
go the the library or chill in the student union with friends
work at a restaurant or dinner with friends or roommates
read or watch tv
party/bar/club until 1 or 2 am.

I suppose one of these days I could ride my bike to work but the rest of the day is taken up totally differently.

But I think the point you're making is, can we go a day w/o the internet? For all the 'useless' chatter and games and whatnot, sure. I use the internet at work though so...

Interesting thought though.

But I think the point you're making is, can we go a day w/o the internet?

:yes:

Thanks for sharing all your memories of 1995, guys but... the point is could you do this now? I'm not trying to make Interference a ghost town for one day but this should be an interesting exercise to carry out, eh? No internet whatsoever for 24 hrs. Are you up to it?

Thanks for sharing all your memories of 1995, guys but... the point is could you do this now? I'm not trying to make Interference a ghost town for one day but this should be an interesting exercise to carry out, eh? No internet whatsoever for 24 hrs. Are you up to it?

But then, how would some of us increase our post count? That's really, really important, you know. :shrug: One day could mean hundreds of lost posts. :sad:

Yes. I've done it before - it's definitely possible, and actually kind of nice. :lol: I can't escape from the internet at work, as I have to use it a fair bit for my job, but if I wasn't at work, sure.

back then, i'd just mostly hang out in my room listening to music and reading books. i also watched a lot of tv. i also did spend time on the computer, but again this was pre-internet. i'd just like type up documents and stuff, like song lyrics :uhoh: :reject:

oh, i also had the time back then to rank every U2 song and come up with a huge chart. this had to have been in 95 or early 96, all i can remember is lemon was #1. can't remember what was after that or even my least favourite track, but if i had to guess, it was probably the wanderer.

:yikes: It's pretty difficult to go a day without internet.

:hmm: In 1995, youtooellen was a good... 5 years old. If I can remember back then, little youtooellen would go to the little kids school to color inside the circles, learn how to write in cursive, and watch her Blue's Clues... joining Blue on his absurd adventures. Sometimes little youtooellen would watch X-Files and get nightmares. :yes:

Much of the evening would be spent practicing her times tables. :up:

I recall still playing on the computer in 1995. I had this computer game where you invented your own golf course with a lot of fun options.

I was four at the time. I used to live in a townhouse that had three floors, which was crazy. The computer was on the third floor, which was a pretty plain room with a large window and an extra bed.

Okay people, let's pretend that it's 1995 or something... you know, before the internet came into common usage... and describe your typical day for me. See if you can re-create that typical day in 2008. A day without the internet.

I don't know about anyone else, but the internet was pretty much in full swing (to the proportionate extent for the times) in my world in 1995, and was part of how I made a living for my family which included a newborn.

To go back to a day without internet in some fashion, I'd have to go to say 1991 or 1992. But then my day would look like this:

sex
hustle
music
school
drink
music
sex
drugs
music
sex
repeat

:lol:

I do agree though, the internet as we know it now occupies far more of our time than we ever thought it would, but that largely has to do with the increased portability of the technology (ie devices) that can access it. In 1994, say, my internet usage would be mainly at work and school, simply because of the machines that accessed it, and their availability (esp price) to the general public. Now, we can be on the internet while we jog. Crazy.

Sometimes it's good to just step away.

sex
hustle
music
school
drink
music
sex
drugs
music
sex
repeat

:lol:

Somehow, I don't believe any of that.

A day without the Internet would suck for me because I'm actually a computer program.

I could go a day without internet have done it before. Like Thora said it is rather nice to do :yes:

My work requires the use of a computer so the temptation is always there to just check my mail or look something up real quick lol.

The only time I go a day without the Internet is when I'm really sick or am stuck at work all day and the only things that matter are eating, taking a shower, and sleeping.

My new apartment doesn't have internet. So, when I move there next week I'll let you know how I manage to survive. I'm actually looking forward to it. I love talking to people, but I think I'd get a lot more work done without the internet distractions. I've got a mobile anyways, so I might as well use that when I want to talk to people.

'95 was a great year. Far out, it was great. I was in college, so I'd spend all day playing with art materials. I'd get up at 5am to get there, get home about 6pm, eat tea that my mum cooked for me, then spend half the night doing work and painting and stuff. I had my radio on continually. I had a perfect life packed into a 3m X 4m bedroom. The internet? Pfft! I didn't have time for the internet. I still don't.
:shifty:

Back
Top Bottom