A Day Without the Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need the internet so badly that I couldn't access the 'net last night because of a stupid virus so I went out and bought a Mac :reject:

Nice. I love my mac. They're worth the extra cost, no doubt. I'm looking to get a MacBook now - so I can bring it with me everywhere. I'm going to name it and everything. Get it a nice comfortable case to sleep in.

In 1995 I was a junior / senior in college and I'd get up, go to class, go to work, go home, do something stupid, go to sleep, repeat.

I came to the internet very late, around 2000. Before that, I was scared of it because I didn't know how to use it. I thought it would be very complicated. Then one day we had to use the internet for some uni seminar and somehow it worked. I didn't have it at home for some time because I couldn't afford it, so I used the internet at university. Then my roommate got dial up internet and I had to document the time I used her net because we shared the bill. When I got my first proper job after uni, I finally got my first internet connection, broadband, it was still expensive, but I worked and could afford it. From that day on, the internet is an essential part of my life and work, it's hard for me to not have it. I also have mobile internet, because I travel a lot. I've become so used to the internet that I don't know what to do without it. When I'm away on holiday and have a lot to do, I don't feel the need, because I'm distracted, but usually I start missing the internet after a couple of days.

Apart from the internet, I don't need much technical stuff. I read books, I don't watch television, I have a cell phone but I don't use it, it's turned off most of the time, I just hate that thing.

Holy crap! :lmao: How old was your computer?

My Pc was verrry old, 8 yrs old, but I just moved in with my bf and his pc was about 3-4 yrs old. We were thinking of getting a Mac so the other night was just a good excuse to do it now.

It's confusing as heck though, I mean I can't even multi-quote here so I'm def experiencing problems with my Mac :reject:

How do you like it Anitram?

I'm absolutely loving it.

I used a Mac at work before I went to law school so it wasn't a huge adjustment to make. But the new MacBook is so much nicer than the old ones (which were plastic and skimped out on a lot of stuff).

The touchpad is awesome.

The only thing I miss right now is the Chrome browser and I also don't really like the look of MSN on a Mac but that's a minor issue.

sex
hustle
music
school
drink
music
sex
drugs
music
sex
repeat

:hyper: You just described my current life with internet! Minus some of the sex..

Oh, internet. How I loathe thee. You've corrupted my young mind. :|

I believe it was the late 90's when I learned about cybersex, online stalkers, and not meeting strangers over the internet. School and all of it's DARE-related goodness. I guess that means I can't meet any of you. Sowwy. :shrug: :wink:

On a different note, internet has its ups and downs. You learn good stuff, you learn bad stuff. You learn that laziness has different levels, but you also learn to expand your knowledge. IMO.

:hmm: I'll be completely without internet for 3 or 4 days (work takin me on the road), not looking forward to being internetless but I plan on reading a graphic novel I've been meaning to read for a long time, so that should be cool.
(In the days before internet I read a lot more books and listened to a lot more records)

Okay people, let's pretend that it's 1995 or something... you know, before the internet came into common usage... and describe your typical day for me. See if you can re-create that typical day in 2008. A day without the internet.

A typical day without the intuhweb?

I'd scream at you for like, 8.5 hours, Zoot-dawg.

:D

I didn't have cable tv or internet Friday and all weekend because of the ice storm, no power/no heat until 6 PM Friday-which was lucky because some people still have no power

Didn't miss my internet at all, missed heat most of all

I still have no power. No heat, no water, nothing.

Sorry to hear that. Don't they have any shelters opened up near you? Some have showers too, like a school or a YMCA. Try calling the Red Cross.

I hope you get it all back asap

I honestly don't understand how it can take so long when they have crews from as far away as Canada. It really makes you wonder what would happen in the event of a man made disaster :|

Well, that's not hard. I was in school back then; third grade or so. And even after that, I did not have regular internet access (read as: maybe once or twice a week at best.) until about three years ago. Since I have more regular usage of it, a day without it can be sort of weird, but not impossible. My days consist of quite a lot recently that involve me being away from home. Mission accomplished. :happy:

Sorry to hear that. Don't they have any shelters opened up near you? Some have showers too, like a school or a YMCA. Try calling the Red Cross.

I hope you get it all back asap

I honestly don't understand how it can take so long when they have crews from as far away as Canada. It really makes you wonder what would happen in the event of a man made disaster :|

Yeah, there is a shelter set up at the high school. I stayed with relatives in Burlington, MA last night, and my parents just got power this morning nearby. So I have options.

Phanan! :ohmy: Ohh so that's why you didn't reply in the Phil Collins thread for so long! :wink: Hope everything returns to normal, buddy.

i know i said i would sleep all day, but it happened to me the other day at work....so i ate my sandwhich and played this game on my comp called inkball lol

Back
Top Bottom