A Day Without the Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'95 was a great year. Far out, it was great. I was in college, so I'd spend all day playing with art materials. I'd get up at 5am to get there, get home about 6pm, eat tea that my mum cooked for me, then spend half the night doing work and painting and stuff. I had my radio on continually. I had a perfect life packed into a 3m X 4m bedroom. The internet? Pfft! I didn't have time for the internet. I still don't.
:shifty:
:hmm: your reg date says otherwise! it still makes me giggle when i see that (when i look at the left column, that is)

We're no strangers to love!

I thought you knew the rules. :tsk:

Zoots, I just wanna tell you how I'm feelin'. Gotta make you UN-DER-STAND!

Without the Internet, there would be no Rickrolling; that's truly a crime against humanity and Astley.

I was 16 in 1995, and I remember having the internet back then, although I don't think I went on there on a daily basis by any means. We had the internet at home very early on since my Mom needed it.

I did watch a lot of TV back then, and I also talked on the phone a LOT. High school girls and all that.

It's unimaginable to me today to go a day without the internet, mostly for the e-mail, everything else I could do. Now I can do it when I'm on vacation and I don't need to be checking in, etc, but otherwise, no way.

My new apartment doesn't have internet. So, when I move there next week I'll let you know how I manage to survive. I'm actually looking forward to it. I love talking to people, but I think I'd get a lot more work done without the internet distractions. I've got a mobile anyways, so I might as well use that when I want to talk to people.

MIA's GOING OFF THE GRID!!! :hi5:

I got lol pwned by this thread when I lost access to the internet last night cos Cablevision was doing maintenance or something. I went a whole 11 hrs without the internet! :sad:

I was working in publishing in NYC and spent a lot of time writing memos and standing at the copy machine copying memos which I would then hand-deliver, which meant a lot of time spent in elevators and stairwells. While passing out memos I would sit down in people's offices and gossip. When the mail came I'd check Publisher's Weekly to see where our books were on the bestseller list. On my lunch hour I'd get on the subway and go to a venue somewhere to buy a concert ticket for a show I'd read about in the Village Voice and if it was sold out, I'd check the Classified ads in the paper for ticket brokers (hey, my ethical standards were lower then). After lunch I'd spend an hour calling people to check their schedules for a meeting, and later call them all back to confirm the meeting, and then just before going home, I'd call them all back to cancel and reschedule the meeting. When I got home, I'd write a letter in Italian to my boyfriend in Italy, using a pen and stationery. If I made too many mistakes I'd tear it up and start over again. Then I'd get up early the next morning to go to the Post Office to mail it.

We did use the Internet at work some in 1995, I think (I can't remember exactly) but we were still suspicious of it and were stuck in our old ways of doing things.

I can't imagine life without the Internet. I'm on it as much as I can, even during class :shifty:

I can't imagine life without the Internet. I'm on it as much as I can, even during class :shifty:

I don't know about 1995, I was still trying to find out how it worked at that time.
In the 00's longest time for me was after hurricane Ivan in '04, 4 days - it was hell. All I could think of was I'm glad it wasn't a direct hit - and where the hell can I get on the internet. :love:

I was 7 in 1995, so I pretty much went to school, came home and did whatever homework one has in second grade, and then played with my friends until bedtime. Those were the days.:lol: It was only a couple years later, though, that the Internet started becoming really popular, so I don't really remember a time without it.

My uni disconnected me from the internet 3 days ago....I went a whole two days before they reconnected me....twas traumatising:sad:

^ I feel your pain . . . our poor clapped out old computer finally finally bit the dust a couple weeks ago so until we scratch together the funds (hello christmas fairies :D ) for a new one I am with out internet access during the day . . . relying on husband to bring home his work lap top so we can hook it up . . . . am feeling more and more like a vampire . . . although its amazing how much I can get done on my days off with no computer or internet . . .

:wave:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom