YOU just don't get it !!! AND maybe you nerer will.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Confirmation bias

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. They also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

A series of experiments in the 1960s suggested that people are biased toward confirming their existing beliefs. Later work re-interpreted these results as a tendency to test ideas in a one-sided way, focusing on one possibility and ignoring alternatives. In certain situations, this tendency can bias people's conclusions. Explanations for the observed biases include wishful thinking and the limited human capacity to process information. Another explanation is that people show confirmation bias because they are weighing up the costs of being wrong, rather than investigating in a neutral, scientific way.

Confirmation biases contribute to overconfidence in personal beliefs and can maintain or strengthen beliefs in the face of contrary evidence. Poor decisions due to these biases have been found in political and organizational contexts.

Firstly, where did you find this? Link?

Another explanation is that people show confirmation bias because they are weighing up the costs of being wrong, rather than investigating in a neutral, scientific way.

This is very true. Who wants to admit to anyone they've been arguing with, and even trading insults with, that their opinion was wrong and they were ignorant? It's a matter of survival.

it's just wiki

I know I am guilty of this, recognizing that, I try and do it less
I hope I am doing it less now than in the past.

looking at much of the discussion in here, it is like one stone wall talking to another stone wall

Had you never heard of confirmation bias before? I thought it was common knowledge

Yes you had heard of it or yes you had never heard of it? Goddammit, deep, work with me here.

My opinion is why does it need a thread? But then after commenting I saw in another thread it was meant to be passive aggressive

The wording of the question was sound. Write an unambiguous answer.

Why do you feel this needs a thread?

Of the 20 threads on the first page, this is as worthy as many.

You really don't have an opinion on this style of discussion?

Do you think it is worthwhile? Does is serve some useful purpose?

It isn't a "style of discussion". It's a tendency that everyone displays and needs to be cognizant of.

Deep, do you think you are capable of seeing when you are guilty of this bias?

This seems like one of those things--like racism--that is only useful when we are struggling to recognize it in ourselves. It's pretty much a waste when we are casting the accusation at some one else.

This seems like one of those things--like racism--that is only useful when we are struggling to recognize it in ourselves.

Maycocksean - I love this quote! I don't always agree with you, but I never doubt your intelligence and thoughtfulness!

Firstly, where did you find this? Link?

This is very true. Who wants to admit to anyone they've been arguing with, and even trading insults with, that their opinion was wrong and they were ignorant? It's a matter of survival.

I try not to argue. An argument is a conversation that escalates with emotion and raised voices. Not much chance for an exchange of opinions or ideas. This happens most when I get caught up in discussions with siblings, I guess because of history, familiarity or what not.
At my age I am really trying not to let it happen anymore. To be confrontational with others, I believe that just makes the person look less credible, I try really hard not to let this happen in public, work or social gatherings. I will walk away before I will trade insults with anyone or just stand there and be insulted. I may say something like, 'OK. I guess we can not discuss this, I'll just move on' and leave.

I don't have a problem in a discussion admitting my position as previously stated was in error, based upon getting information that brings that to light. It would not make me feel ignorant at all. I actually prefer this to being at an impasse. Reaching a mutual understanding builds better relationships and respect for others.

Deep, do you think you are capable of seeing when you are guilty of this bias?

Did you see my second post?

Sure, sometimes. I am sure not always.

Someone once said, "An unexamined life is not worth living" or something like that. I bet you know who it was?

This seems like one of those things--like racism--that is only useful when we are struggling to recognize it in ourselves. It's pretty much a waste when we are casting the accusation at some one else.

Interesting,
So accusing Gov George Wallace (standing in the doorway) of being racist was not useful. All those good folks in Alabama liked black children just fine, and it was not racist to support them going to their local schools.

Back
Top Bottom