World's tallest skyscraper opens in Dubai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just reading about how tall this building is makes me dizzy. :crack:

World's tallest skyscraper opens in Dubai - Telegraph

OK, the betting windows are now open. The over/under that this structure will still be, um, how can I put this?, "still operational," is 1001 Arabian nights. Slightly less than 3 years.

Place your bets.

I'm feeling a bit pessimistic myself and will take the under.

you've become a bad parody of the conservative posters i thought you were better than.

He's asking everyone to go over/under on how many years before the building is destroyed in a terrorist attack.

Financial woes more likely.

This is actually the 4th building built in the past 10 years over 100 stories tall. And the just opened Trump Tower in NYC is some 90 stories tall. It will be interesting to see if the economic model still works.

Financial woes more likely.

This is actually the 4th building built in the past 10 years over 100 stories tall. And the just opened Trump Tower in NYC is some 90 stories tall. It will be interesting to see if the economic model still works.
it's not like they're making any more land*, so the only way is still up.

*=except in dubai, but my point stands.

I'd love to go to Dubai and see all of the new architectural wonders, but I'm curious as to how they are going to turn around their economy. Whatever excesses the U.S. had in the last decade, Dubai seems like they pumped theirs up with steroids.

I don't know what the occupancy rate is in Dubai right now, but given the horror stories of people abandoning their cars at the airport and leaving for good, I don't know how viable the Burj will be in the future.

Has all of the slave labor that built Dubai been exported now?

I'd love to go to Dubai and see all of the new architectural wonders, but I'm curious as to how they are going to turn around their economy. Whatever excesses the U.S. had in the last decade, Dubai seems like they pumped theirs up with steroids.

I don't know what the occupancy rate is in Dubai right now, but given the horror stories of people abandoning their cars at the airport and leaving for good, I don't know how viable the Burj will be in the future.

Has all of the slave labor that built Dubai been exported now?

I agree - it symbolizes the credit bubble big time. I think the lucky ones are the ones who can abandon the cars at the airport - others are stuck there if they go into debt (and can go to prison).

A pretty extensive article I read a few months ago, but a good read:
The dark side of Dubai - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

I agree - it symbolizes the credit bubble big time. I think the lucky ones are the ones who can abandon the cars at the airport - others are stuck there if they go into debt (and can go to prison).

A pretty extensive article I read a few months ago, but a good read:
The dark side of Dubai - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

Thanks for that link.

If anyone is interested in concise, but thorough reporting on all things related to construction, I can't recommend Engineering News Record highly enough. On construction/economic stories, ENR has more insight and less bullshit that Time, Newsweek, etc.:

Construction, Building & Engineering News: ENR | McGraw-Hill Construction

I'll have to find a link or picture somewhere, but I love the stories from Dubai about the people who have entire leaves/fronds of the "Palm" islands all to themselves.

I'll have to find a link or picture somewhere, but I love the stories from Dubai about the people who have entire leaves/fronds of the "Palm" islands all to themselves.

The article mentions that a rise in sea level (due to global warming) would wipe those out. Not sure who would want one of those islands - they are pretty low-lying. I wonder if the sewage mentioned impacts them too.

OK, the betting windows are now open. The over/under that this structure will still be, um, how can I put this?, "still operational," is 1001 Arabian nights. Slightly less than 3 years.

Place your bets.

I'm feeling a bit pessimistic myself and will take the under.

Christ almighty. :doh:

Fascinating structure in my opinion, I say well done.

Back
Top Bottom