Why bother?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I don't know why I expend so much time and mental energy on following, and forming opinions on, world events. I've been listening and following the news too much lately, and it is battering down my optimism! The ultimate solutions to our most pressing problems are likely decades or centuries into the future. Every corner of the world seems so goddamn hopeless these days. Pessimism, cynicism, hatred, and violence constitute the paradigm.

The more I delve, the more I can see myself coming full circle, the more I understand that the end-point in this pursuit is to finally reach the place where everybody has been all along. I often get these sneaking suspicions that I am fully one step behind everyone else.

Of course! This is why there are fluff pieces. Why did I ever scoff at them? I needed to see that dog get rescued from floating debris off the coast of Japan. I could watch it over and over again.
of course! this is why people turn off the news mid-sentence. It can be too much.

I have a nasty habit of looking on from above. Not in a metaphorical god-like sort of way, but in a more literal way. I look at a picture of earth taken from a satellite, or taken from the fucking moon, and I think of all of us down there. And I see the blackness of space framing the picture, and I see how alone we are. These moments are supremely depressing because you know what's going on down there beneath the pristine, swirling clouds, and so much of it is pure shit. I get irrational. I think, if only everyone could look at this picture and see!

But, these thoughts are not new. And they have been expressed before by greater people than I. And thoughts are not enough anyway.
As humans we are cursed. Cursed with consciousness. To be able to see what ought to be, but may very well never come to pass.

So, why bother?
I should just eat a few dozen tubes of vagisil, and watch videos of people getting kicked in the balls.

YouTube - Slow Motion Kick in the Balls!!

I hear ya, dude. I'm a great fan of celebrity culture these days. How wrong I was to dismiss it. Gossiping about celebrities fulfils a very important role in the public discourse, which is to take the minds of the populace off thinking about the sheer awfulness of pretty much everything these days. Like soma, in Brave New World.

We think the same things at the same time, we just can't do anything about it.

The new opium of the masses?

I know it sounds cringe-inducingly trite, but the best cure for compassion fatigue (more like vicarious suffering fatigue) is to choose one cause where you can actually make a difference and devote X hours per week or even month to it. It won't fix Wall Street or the military-industrial complex, but it's a refusal to accept powerlessness and for me at least, it actually does makes me more likely to take action in other areas. Reverse snowball effect.

I can completely relate to this feeling though.

Last edited:
press >>> play

You got me in a corner
You got me against the wall
I got nowhere to go
I got nowhere to fall

Take back your insurance
Baby nothin' is guaranteed
And take back your acid rain
Baby let your TV bleed

You're jammin' me, you're jammin' me, quit jammin' me
Baby you can keep me painted in a corner