Why-Because I'm A Black Man In America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bigjohn's not the only one with experience being "a boy not from the island" interacting as an authority figure with people from very different cultural and ethnoracial backgrounds than his own. There's more than one way to respond to those kinds of tensions and antagonisms, and sometimes which one you choose can say quite a bit about you.

That's not a diagnosis of anything, just an observation.

Congratulations bigjohn !

You have the same effect on people that Officer Crowley does :shame:

From what I've read, Crowley was a very effective officer and actually quite aware of the pitfalls of racial profiling. I don't think his arrest of Gates was racially motivated. I think Crowley just had a bad day and made a poor decision.

I'm sure bigjohn is also effective at his job, though based on the tone of his comments so far, I'm not convinced he's as aware of the pitfalls of racial profiling as Crowley was.

But again, I don't know him, so it's unfair of me to make any serious judgements about his character. All we really know about each other is what we choose to present about ourselves on this forum.

That said, I really don't think Obama needed to apologize for saying that Crowley did a "stupid" thing because.

Because it WAS stupid.

He apologized because it was politically expedient and I get that, but he didn't really need to.

I've done stupid things too, and if someone called it that, I'd have to give them that.

He gave mouth-to-mouth to Reggie Lewis because that was his JOB, he was on duty as a campus police officer in the college where they held their training camp workouts. So giving medical assistance to a black man is actually some sort of evidence that he harbors no racial bias? That's a new one.

Not saying this applies to Crowley, but...if we can all have unconscious biases then he could too

Research shows key role for unconscious bias
Attitudes believed to be learned early

By Carolyn Y. Johnson, Globe Staff | July 30, 2009

The arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. sparked allegations of racism, followed by fierce denials that race played a role in the 911 call or the police response to the report of a possible break-in at his Cambridge home. But social psychology research indicates that regardless of people’s stated attitudes about race, unconscious racial biases can influence their behavior in surprisingly powerful ways.

That means that people who are not racist may unknowingly behave in ways that reflect racial stereotypes, even when they may disagree with such ideas. One study found that doctors with more unconscious bias against blacks were less likely to give African-American heart attack patients clot-busting medication than white patients. Another found that when participants in a computer simulation were told to shoot criminals but not unarmed citizens or police who appeared on the screen, more black than white men were incorrectly shot. Other work found that children perceived ambiguous, but aggressive behavior as more threatening if the perpetrator was black.

It’s impossible to know whether hidden bias caused Cambridge police Sergeant James M. Crowley, a white man who teaches courses on how to avoid racial profiling, to arrest the African-American Gates. But research indicates that a large majority of white people, and about half of black people, are quicker to make positive associations with white people and negative associations with black people.

“I think our data, obtained from millions and millions of people, show a real disparity between who we think we are, who we say we are . . . and what actually goes on in our heads,’’ said Mahzarin R. Banaji, a Harvard psychology professor who is a leader in studying such implicit bias.

Banaji’s research has found, for example, that many white people more quickly associate positive adjectives with white faces and negative adjectives with black faces. In computerized tests, many white people also more quickly associate harmful weapons with black faces than with white ones.

Overall, Banaji said, about 75 percent of white people show a white preference in such lab experiments, whereas black people are split half and half between favoring black and white.

That means that while the incident in Cambridge two weeks ago has layers of complexity and confusion, a vast body of scientific literature suggests the important role that unconscious bias would probably play.

“We don’t have the control condition; we don’t have exactly the same thing happening at the same time in which we replace Skip Gates with, say, [Harvard president] Drew Faust,’’ Banaji said, adding that in that case, “It is very hard to imagine things would have gone the way they did.’’

The unconscious attitudes that people carry with them are thought to be learned early in life. Studies have examined the origins of the “other race effect,’’ for example, a bias in which people have more trouble telling the difference between faces of people of another race and found that African babies raised in Caucasian families do not favor their own race, unlike babies raised in their own racial environment.

The formation of such deeply rooted biases probably served a specific purpose during evolution, said David Amodio, a psychology professor at New York University.

“These initial gut reactions - they’re built into evolutionarily old parts of our brains as mechanisms for survival,’’ Amodio said. “You need to be able to react really quickly to something that’s a potential threat, and in our evolutionary past, people didn’t have interactions across groups as much.’’

Given that such reactions may be deeply embedded in our brains, there is no sure way to erase them, but Amodio said the frontal cortex, the part of the brain that is goal-oriented, can keep the brain on task to overcome implicit bias when there is a clear procedure, in a law enforcement situation, for example, having an encounter guided by a protocol.

Dr. Alexander R. Green, associate director for the disparities solutions center at Massachusetts General Hospital, has studied racism in the medical context, finding that implicit biases due to race can affect the way people care for their patients. He said the first step in combating such bias is to be aware that it exists.

“We cannot necessarily change our unconscious biases,’’ Green said. “Many of these are deeply ingrained and not our intention. We can recognize how they come into play and try to consciously override them.’’

Another way of dealing with such situations may just be to increase exposure to people of diverse backgrounds. A study by Brown University and University of Victoria researchers published this year found that it was possible to reduce one measure of implicit racial bias, simply by giving people training that allows them to help tell faces of people from other races apart, which could allow them to see people as individuals, rather than a group.

Reducing implicit racism is something that Banaji thinks will take more than just a racial profiling class or a series of lectures, however. Like patients with cardiovascular disease who change their lifestyle completely, “unlearning’’ unconscious racism will require systemic change and a new understanding that everything, from portrayals of race in the media to the friends we hang out with, influence our unconscious biases and that our choices affect our biases.

“I can decide, what do I want to teach my brain?’’ Banaji said.

Police officer suspended after racially charged e-mail

By Matt Collette, Globe Correspondent | July 30, 2009

An officer in the Boston Police Department has been suspended after allegedly writing a racially charged e-mail about Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. to colleagues at the National Guard, a law enforcement official said.

The law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Officer Justin Barrett referred to the black scholar as a “jungle monkey’’ in the letter, written in reaction to news coverage of Gates’s arrest July 16. Barrett was suspended Tuesday, pending a termination hearing.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino condemned the comment and called for the officer’s dismissal.

“I was angry about the incident when the commissioner spoke to me [Tuesday] night,’’ Menino said. “I said, ‘He has no place in this department, and we have to take his badge away.’ That stuff doesn’t belong in our city, and we’re not going to tolerate it.’’

The mayor said he has not seen the e-mail and while the officer is not officially terminated, he might as well be. “He’s gone - g-o-n-e. I don’t care, it’s like cancer, you don’t keep those cancers around.’’

In an interview that WCVB-TV aired last night, Barrett said he used “a poor choice of words.’’

“I did not mean to offend anyone,’’ he said. “The words were being used to characterize behavior, not describe anyone . . . I didn’t mean it in a racist way. I treat everyone with dignity and respect.’’

Barrett and his lawyer said they will fight the charges. “People are making it about race. It is not about race,’’ Barrett said. Gates was arrested by Cambridge police Sergeant James Crowley on charges of disorderly conduct.

Though the charges were dropped, the case became national news after Gates accused Crowley of arresting him because he was black. The two men are set to have a beer with Obama tonight.

Police Commissioner Edward F. Davis stripped Barrett, 36, of his gun and badge Tuesday, said police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll. Barrett, who has been on the job for two years and has no previous disciplinary record, faces a termination hearing in the next week, she said.

When a supervisor confronted Barrett about the e-mail, he admitted to writing it, Driscoll said.

“[Tuesday] afternoon, Commissioner Davis was made aware that Officer Barrett was the author of correspondence which included racially charged language,’’ she said. “At that time, Commissioner Davis immediately stripped Officer Barrett of his gun and badge, and at this time we will be moving forward with the hearing process.’’

It was unclear last night when the letter was sent. Barrett, who was assigned to District B-3 in Dorchester, will receive legal representation from Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association.

In a letter to union members posted on their website, union officials denounced the statements but asked “that the facts be determined before a rush to judgment is made.

“While the Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association has a duty to assure that the contractual and due process rights of each and every member are protected, we strongly denounce these statements as being offensive and hurtful.’’ The letter is signed by Thomas J. Nee, the union president; Ronald T. MacGillivray, the vice president; John D. Broderick, Jr., treasurer; and Thomas N. Pratt, secretary.

A spokesman for the Massachusetts National Guard, with which Barrett also serves, did not respond to messages left at his office or on his cellphone. WCVB reported that Barrett was relieved of National Guard duty.

From what I've read, Crowley was a very effective officer and actually quite aware of the pitfalls of racial profiling. I don't think his arrest of Gates was racially motivated. I think Crowley just had a bad day and made a poor decision.

I'm sure bigjohn is also effective at his job, though based on the tone of his comments so far, I'm not convinced he's as aware of the pitfalls of racial profiling as Crowley was.

But again, I don't know him, so it's unfair of me to make any serious judgements about his character. All we really know about each other is what we choose to present about ourselves on this forum.

what i did had nothing to do with race. my job was to check EVERYONE's id badge, regardless of color. i wasnt even thinking about the fact that they were all black. that meant nothing to me at all.

and my job is a LOT different from a local cop on the beat :lol:

i should know by now i cant win on FYM :lol:

I don't think it's that...

I was just pointing out that it was obvious you thought about it, and there's nothing wrong with that I think anyone who says that they don't realize or they're not aware of these things is a liar. It's human nature to realize when you are the minority. When a man steps into a classroom and realizes he's the only male, he's going to notice it and maybe for a quick second wonder if he's in the right room. It's how that thinking or realization makes you react is what matters.

I know we're all just dying for an update on this, so (from Politico)...

President Barack Obama’s highly anticipated “beer summit” with Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Cambridge police Sgt. Jim Crowley was reduced Thursday for viewers at home to two minutes of shaky, silent video of the men gathered around a table in the Rose Garden. Crowley and Gates were clad in suits, and while Obama and Vice President Joe Biden were in shirtsleeves as an aide delivered beers in frosty mugs. Crowley was seen sipping his beer during the brief photo-op, while Obama and Biden could be seen digging into a bowl of pretzels and peanuts. Crowley also did the most talking during the few minutes the press was invited to watch, from a distance of about 40 feet.

...“I am, I have to say, fascinated about the fascination with this evening,” Obama told reporters during an Oval Office meeting with the president of the Philippines Thursday afternoon. “I noticed this has been called the beer summit. It’s a clever term but this is not a summit, guys. This is three folks having a drink at the end of the day and hopefully giving people an opportunity to listen to each other. And that’s all it is. This is not a university seminar. It’s an opportunity to have some personal interaction when an issue has become so hyped and so symbolic that you lose sight of just the fact that these are people involved, including myself. All of whom are imperfect.”

...[White House Press Secretary] Gibbs also tried to downplay the impression in some quarters that the gathering could be a milestone in American race relations. “I don't think the president has outsized expectations that one cold beer at one table here is going to change massively the course of human history by any sense of the imagination." ...Gibbs said the event was not intended to be some sort of mutual contrition session. “We're not here to mediate apologies."

I think this is a very good statement by Gates

Gates: "Accident of Time and Place"

Henry Louis Gates, Jr., the Harvard Professor whose arrest touched off a national debate over race and police conduct, issued a statement regarding his sit down with Cambridge police Sergeant James Crowley and President Barack Obama. It was published on The Root, where Gates serves as the editor in chief.

Below is Gates' statement:

I would like to applaud President Obama for bringing Sergeant Crowley, me and our families together. I would also like to thank the President for welcoming my father, Henry Louis Gates, Sr., who for most of his life has been a Republican! My dad turned 96 this past June, and the fact that he worked two jobs every day is the reason that my brother, Dr. Paul Gates, and I were able to receive such splendid educations. I am honored that he chose to join me at the White House, along with my fiancée, my daughters, and my brother.

Sergeant Crowley and I, through an accident of time and place, have been cast together, inextricably, as characters – as metaphors, really – in a thousand narratives about race over which he and I have absolutely no control. Narratives about race are as old as the founding of this great Republic itself, but these new ones have unfolded precisely when Americans signaled to the world our country’s great progress by overcoming centuries of habit and fear, and electing an African American as President. It is incumbent upon Sergeant Crowley and me to utilize the great opportunity that fate has given us to foster greater sympathy among the American public for the daily perils of policing on the one hand, and for the genuine fears of racial profiling on the other hand.

Let me say that I thank God that live in a country in which police officers put their lives at risk to protect us every day, and, more than ever, I’ve come to understand and appreciate their daily sacrifices on our behalf. I’m also grateful that we live in a country where freedom of speech is a sacrosanct value and I hope that one day we can get to know each other better, as we began to do at the White House this afternoon over beers with President Obama.

Thank God we live in a country where speech is protected, a country which guarantees and defends my right to speak out when I believe my rights have been violated; a country that protects us from arrest when we do express our views, no matter how unpopular.

And thank God that we have a President who can rise above the fray, bridge age-old differences and transform events such as this into a moment in the evolution of our society’s attitudes about race and difference. President Obama is a man who understands tolerance and forgiveness, and our country is blessed to have such a leader.

The national conversation over the past week about my arrest has been rowdy, not to say tumultuous and unruly. But we’ve learned that we can have our differences without demonizing one another. There’s reason to hope that many people have emerged with greater sympathy for the daily perils of policing, on the one hand, and for the genuine fears about racial profiling, on the other hand.
Having spent my academic career trying to bridge differences and promote understanding among Americans, I can report that it is far more comfortable being the commentator than being commented upon. At this point, I am hopeful that we can all move on, and that this experience will prove an occasion for education, not recrimination. I know that Sergeant Crowley shares this goal. Both of us are eager to go back to work tomorrow. And it turns out that the President just might have a few other things on his plate as well.

I think it's sad some appear intellectually dishonest here; while some may appear to have been brain washed into thinking only a certain way in regards to race. Sycophants tethered to one ideology only.

I found this article from Shelby Steele and he does a pretty good job, although he's pretty tacid in approaching Professor Gates conduct going to a 'jet lag' 'cranky old man' excuse, when it was about race w the professor. If it were a black officer in Gates home-Gates wouldn't have went nuts. It's that simple.

He calls out Obama for actually being the "stupid" one in the press conference- sorry Maycocksean.

In the end, Shelby did stick up for Officer Crowley here, and I'm sure it's quite possible he'd be blasted as an Uncle Tom in FYM though.

Run for cover Shel!

shelby+steele.jpg

From Emmitt Till to Skip Gates
Black victim, white oppressor. It’s a narrative we know well.

By SHELBY STEELE

If the Henry Louis Gates imbroglio makes anything clear it is that, in 2009, the mere implication of racial profiling in the arrest of a black professor on the nothing charge of disorderly conduct is sufficient to trigger a national (if not international) furor involving even the president of the United States. This incident shows us an America so chastened by its racist past—and so determined to overcome that past—that, at least for a moment, the national politics (health care, Iran, recession) stopped as the country combed over a six-minute encounter between a black academic and a white policeman.

I remember when another racial incident riveted the nation. It was the mid-1950s. I was just old enough to be sent to the barbershop on my own, and there one afternoon I noticed the men passing around a magazine. There were hushed whispers. “Don’t let him see it.” And then a booming voice, “Go ahead. He needs to see it!”

And suddenly, there before me was a photograph of the worst thing I had ever seen: the bludgeoned and mangled body of Emmitt Till, the 14-year-old black boy killed by whites in Mississippi for supposedly looking at or whistling at a white woman. He was a Chicago boy (like me) who had gone South to visit family and had simply walked into this terrible fate.

Emmitt Till had walked into a cultural narrative in which his role was already tragically written. It was a narrative designed to preserve white supremacy. So it gave power—the right to kill—to any white claiming to defend the honor of white women. Whether Emmitt Till whistled at or stared at the woman, or did nothing at all (there is much debate here), he somehow affronted white supremacy and annihilation was his punishment. His murderers were exonerated. Everyone in America knew this cultural narrative. Anyone could have told him not to whistle at that white woman.

We all know these cultural narratives, which is to say that we all know exactly where racial power abides in a given situation. When a white woman pointed her finger at a black man in the old South and cried “rape,” everyone knew a black man would die. But it wasn’t the innate innocence of white women that brought them this imperial power. It was the role their “innocence” played in the preservation of white supremacy and all the social, economic and political advantages that grew out of it.

And didn’t Mr. Gates—jet-lagged and vulnerable—know exactly where to find power when he was confronted in his home by Sgt. James Crowley? Didn’t he—a lifelong student of African-American culture—know precisely the cultural narrative that would serve him best? Moreover, don’t we all know this narrative? Black victim, white oppressor. Here he was, no longer young, slight of build, professorial in look, and still he was under suspicion of being a common burglar in his own home. Add to this the fact that he knew himself to be utterly innocent. Out of these simple facts a sense of racial victimization could have easily developed within him. Few blacks would not at least wonder at this point if they were not being racially profiled.

But this is not really the point. Many a Southern belle would have known she was being ogled by an uppity black man. She would have known that a cultural narrative—heated up by the nuclear taboos of sex and race—put the power of life and death at her disposal. But when would she have actually pulled the cultural trigger and set into motion those forces that would surely end in the annihilation of a black man? The great question in the Gates story is why he put himself so quickly into the cultural narrative, why he screamed “racial profiling” more quickly than a Southern belle might have once screamed “rape?”

The answer may be as simple as Mr. Gates’s fatigue after international travel—a physical depletion that may have darkened him into seeing a tormentor where there was only a protector. After all, here was a white policeman—crisp and confident—demanding ID of him inside his own home. There are moments when one wants one’s station in life—hard earned in Mr. Gates’s case—to be a buffer against indignity. Who is above this?

Yet—if reports are correct—Mr. Gates challenged the initial request for ID by asking if it came because he was a “black man in America.” Most blacks would have stopped at the word “black.” But Mr. Gates is an intellectual, a man ever aware of cultural and political resonances. “Black man in America” was a grab for historical resonance. If you are just Skip Gates (as he is known to friends), then you have only a citizen’s power. But if you are a “black man in America” confronted by a white cop in your own home, then you can frame the moment as an echo of history. Your humiliation at the hands of this unwitting white cop becomes a cruel historical redundancy.

The great drama at the core of American race relations is always the same: Can black Americans ever be truly equal—are they capable of achieving it and are others capable of accepting it? Mr. Gates put himself inside a cultural narrative that said blacks could achieve it but whites could never accept it. (His 50 honorary degrees did not save him from having to produce ID in his own house.) This narrative sees whites as incorrigible bigots and supremacists. It was once true and it gave blacks great moral power. But it doesn’t work so well in modern America, as the Gates affair makes clear. Handcuffs were Sgt. Crowley’s answer to Mr. Gates’s moral muscling.

But then Skip Gates was tired. What was President Barack Obama’s excuse? Why did he step into the same cultural narrative that Mr. Gates had tried and failed with?

Where race is concerned, I sometimes think of the president as the Peter Sellers character in “Dr. Strangelove.” Sellers plays a closet Nazi whose left arm—quite involuntarily—keeps springing up into the Heil Hitler salute. We see him in his wheelchair, his right arm—the good and decent arm—struggling to keep the Nazi arm down so that no one will know the truth of his inner life. These wrestling matches between the good and bad arms were hysterically funny.

When I saw Mr. Obama—with every escape route available to him—wade right into the Gates affair at the end of his health-care news conference, I knew that his demon arm had momentarily won out over his good arm. It broke completely free—into full sal 57a ute—in the “acted stupidly” comment that he made in reference to the Cambridge police’s handling of the matter. Here was the implication that whites were such clumsy and incorrigible racists that even the most highly achieved blacks lived in constant peril of racial humiliation. This was a cultural narrative, a politics, and in the end it was a bigotry. It let white Americans see a president who doubted them.

Mr. Obama’s “post-racialism” was a promise to operate outside of tired cultural narratives. But he has a demon arm of reflexive racialism—identity politics, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and now Skip Gates. You can only put a demon like this to death by finding out what you really believe. We should hold Mr. Obama to his post-racialism, and he should get to know himself well enough to tell us what he really means by it. As for the odd triad of Messrs. Gates, Crowley and Obama, only Mr. Crowley seems to have functioned outside his cultural narrative.

That's an interesting narrative.

Surely a more interesting one, from a libertarian and indeed conservative point of view, is why the citizens accept agents of state having such intrusive powers as to be legally capable of arresting a citizen attempting to access his own home for the 'crime' of giving 'backchat' to the person whose damn wages he pays? Why is the controversy not about this, instead of the tedious racial wars. Maybe that's one to chew over, for the statists all round, be they on the left or right.

In America police officers take an oath to protect and serve. While serving, ie-completing a 5 minute investigation, it is expected for the person being investigated to be at least cooperative-that's all Gates needed to do.

<>

In America police officers take an oath to protect and serve. While serving, ie-completing a 5 minute investigation, it is expected for the person being investigated to be at least cooperative-that's all Gates needed to do.

<>

Serving whom? All arms of state, including police forces, should serve at the will of the citizenry, end of story.

Is it acceptable for you for agents of state to arrest private citizens attempting to access their private dwelling places?

No, he wasn't arrested for breaking into his home, only investigated for that.

He was arrested for being a jerk-and that's ok.

I'm ok if they investigate citizens in England for breaking into their own homes, however I think as a citizen you should cooperate with the Bobby to complete his investigation.

<>

Back
Top Bottom