Why Are You Not a Christian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...Because I just can't believe. I don't have faith. It's not my fault, just don't. I lost it at the start of secondary school. (I'm now in year 10, 15 years old).

When I was a younger kid in primary school I never even questioned morning prayer (I went, go, to Catholic school). It was just normal. Orthodox. Part of life. Like eating breakfast. I just had it because mum gave it me.

And that's crazy. We should be allowed to chose for ourselves. Not be pushed into religious school before we even have the maturity to chose for ourselves, under context, as an individual, free. Get 'em in before they make any big decisions, eh?...with only religious friends and mainly teachers, secluded from other people of other religions. It's dangerous, really.

How can our school state it's pride in multi-cultural society when the whole environment is defined by a particular theme-religion?

I believe in good morals, I don't believe you need Jesus to have them. You need family, friends, relationship, freedom, individuality, love. You need to see the beauty of the world and the people in it.

So I don't believe because I don't want to or need to. And I find it insulting that you even ask me of this answer.. You're lucky you got one...

The only people who are religious are those who have been brainwashed from birth or who have reached a moral low in their lives and need a crutch for their emotional weakness. Which is it for you, Ironhorse?

And I find it insulting that you even ask me of this answer.. You're lucky you got one...

To be fair, he didn't ask you directly, he posted a question on a message board. You -- and everyone else -- had the choice to answer or not.

But he also didnt ask anyone in particular. It was an open question right in the title of the thread, meant to be in people's faces. It was an ignorant way to phrase it too. No doubt trolling, but meh, whatever

But he also didnt ask anyone in particular. It was an open question right in the title of the thread, meant to be in people's faces. It was an ignorant way to phrase it too. No doubt trolling, but meh, whatever

Well, yeah, that's what I said -- "he didn't ask you directly, he posted a question on a message board." And let's face it, many thread titles by many posters in FYM are intentionally provocative, so probably half the regulars here (FYM) could be considered guilty of trolling.

Well, yeah, that's what I said -- "he didn't ask you directly, he posted a question on a message board." And let's face it, many thread titles by many posters in FYM are intentionally provocative, so probably half the regulars here (FYM) could be considered guilty of trolling.

You sort of implied that he shouldnt get upset by it htough. I say if a question is posted to the masses, then if it gets someone bent out of shape, its their right.

What are the other reasons?

Love, faith, happiness, appreciation. I think some people have turned to religion for the reasons you cited, but not all of them. The reasons people have faith are hard to quantify to those who don't.

I don't think the Dalai Lama or Bishop Tutu or Bono have been brainwashed or hit a moral low.

I haven't.

Clap clap, Iron Horse. Congratulations. We have another thread where I can't make up my mind who I detest more, the fundies, or the people who insist on insulting everyone (including me) who does hold religious beliefs.

Nice work everyone.

Love, faith, happiness, appreciation. I think some people have turned to religion for the reasons you cited, but not all of them. The reasons people have faith are hard to quantify to those who don't.

I don't think the Dalai Lama or Bishop Tutu or Bono have been brainwashed or hit a moral low.

I haven't.

I dont disagree that those emotions can become part of a person's religion, but of the people you cited, how many were born a different religion than what they currently practice?

I dont disagree that those emotions can become part of a person's religion, but of the people you cited, how many were born a different religion than what they currently practice?

Me, for one.

And I don't care about the others.

Not everyone who has faith will meet your hoped-for stereotype. Some intelligent, reasonable, and tolerant people have a great deal of faith.

The insults and taunts of people without faith don't deter anyone. And arguing about it serves no purpose.

I think that this thread is pointless and responding the way most have just feeds the troll.

Me, for one.

And I don't care about the others.

Not everyone who has faith will meet your hoped-for stereotype. Some intelligent, reasonable, and tolerant people have a great deal of faith.

The insults and taunts of people without faith don't deter anyone. And arguing about it serves no purpose.

I think that this thread is pointless and responding the way most have just feeds the troll.

No need to get offended. I just believe that the majority of religious people are of their particular religion because of what their parents told them to do when they were little. The ones who arent are looking to fill a void. If you believe otherwise, thats perfectly valid

No need to get offended. I just believe that the majority of religious people are of their particular religion because of what their parents told them to do when they were little. The ones who arent are looking to fill a void.

If you had phrased it this way in your initial post, I probably wouldn't have responded. This is much less insulting and simplistic than the first one. And much less offensive.

Well if I was responding to someone nice, such as yourself, I wouldve phrased it this way. I was only keeping the tone of the OP in response to him

peace love and understanding :)

I've read the New Testament because I was raised a Christian. It's not that I don't know the material (though don't ask me to quote anything), I'm just not buying it.

:up: Exactly this.

And the fact that people feel the need to force their beliefs on me while I'm not doing that to them.

I wasn't asking to be snarky, I''m genuinely curious. Many people go to church for reasons other than faith but it's at least a common denominator, or so I would have thought.

i wasnt being snarky, nor did i think you were,
i was trying to be funny ,

staying out of fym in future.

What do you get out of going to mass regularly?

The main reason I still attend mass regularly is because my parents are very religious and it would crush them if they knew I hold no religious beliefs. I suck it up and go to church. When I'm away for school, I don't attend.

But I do think when I'm older I might go back for the communal aspect of it. I generally seem to like a lot of the people in my parish and activities like CYO sports. I just don't believe in anything the church stands for.

i was baptised, and i studied theology two years ago - and it was very interesting. but i have a hard time believing. i don't go to church, i don't pray.

however it was somewhat comforting for me that when my grandmother passed away last week, she seemed comforted that she was going to be reunited in heaven with the love of her life. i may not really believe, but to see someone faced with death be comforted in any way bought a smile to my face.

Cosmic Arguments
- There are no good reasons to believe in God, and plenty of decent ones to

just wondering. i once said in a theology class that science can explain everything from the big bang onwards. but can science explain how that speck or whatever it was that exploded got there? these are the things i think about.

wine? or is that the wrong denomination?

:lol:

FWIW I am not the same with regard to the religion and theology I was born into (and schooled under through college).

I like this quote, "Faith is a gift I haven't yet received."

I go to church often enough to reaffirm why it is I don't go.

But I do think when I'm older I might go back for the communal aspect of it. I generally seem to like a lot of the people in my parish and activities like CYO sports. I just don't believe in anything the church stands for.

If you'd continue to go to church despite not believing in what it teaches, wouldn't you be living a lie?

How about setting a community of non-believers where you could do the same activities and meet people?

No, seriously, if he's thinking about attending church while not believing, is that not living a lie?

Last edited:
As long as he's honest with himself about the reasons. Maybe he just likes the group of people that go. I dunno, I should let him speak for himself though :)

Back
Top Bottom