What on earth are police doing with Tasers??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
al.com

Arrested in silence: Police use Taser, pepper spray on deaf and mentally disabled man

Tuesday, July 28, 2009
By ROBERT McCLENDON and MARK R. KENT
Staff Reporters

Mobile police used pepper spray and a Taser on a deaf and mentally disabled man Friday after they were unable to get him to come out of a bathroom at a Dollar General store, authorities said.

After forcibly removing Antonio Love from the bathroom of the Azalea Road store, officers attempted to book the 37-year-old, on charges of resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and failure to obey a police officer, but the magistrate on duty at the jail refused to accept any of those charges.

Love's family members said they had no idea where he was during the time that police had him in custody.

Brodrick Love said the officers dropped his brother off in the parking lot of their apartment building without saying what happened or why his brother had been missing for six hours.

Love's family members have filed a formal complaint against the officers.

Christopher Levy, a Police Department spokesman, said the officers didn't find out that Love had a hearing impairment until after they got him out of the bathroom and found a card in his wallet indicating he was deaf.

The officers' decision to take Love to jail — even after they discovered his disability — as well as their conduct throughout the incident is still under investigation, Levy said.

Use of the Taser and the pepper spray appear to be justified according to the department's policy, he said.

Love, whose family said his mental abilities are about that of a 10-year-old, wrote them a narrative of the incident as he recalled it.

The hand-scrawled, six-page note and the official police account of the confrontation are strikingly similar in their recitation of the chain of events.

Police were called to the store at 12:22 p.m. after someone reported that a man had been in the bathroom for more than an hour behind a locked door, said Cpl. Charles Bagsby, another police spokesman.

When the officers arrived, they pounded on the door but got no answer, Bagsby said. They pounded again. No answer.

Bagsby declined to say how many officers were involved.

Love, speaking in sign language that was then translated by his family, said he was in the bathroom because he was sick to his stomach.

"I wait and sit toilet," Love's note read. "I think about someone try break door. I hold door hard."

At that point, Bagsby said, the officers saw movement from under the door, indicating that there was someone inside. They then shot pepper spray under the door.

"The police arrive General Dollar and throw poison through under the door," Love's note continued. "I can smell poison and I'm amazing and shock."

Love turned the water on to wash the irritating chemicals off his face.

"Then I'm think someone gone."

The officers, according to the Bagsby's account, went to get a tire iron to pry the door open.

"Then again someone knock knock," the note reads. "My head hold door, and my hand put hold lock the door. I spit poison with water. Someone hit hard hard."

The officers broke into the room.

"I'm almost fall and surprise the police here. The police get the tazz three strings in my stomach, chest and hand and hit my head. I'm falled."

The officers put him in the car. He waited.

"Police wait long. I'm patient," the note said.

The officers took him to Mobile County Metro Jail to book him, Bagsby said.

"I saw police laugh at me," Love wrote in the note. "I don't care them. I don't want escape. I just wait long." The magistrate refused to sign the arrest warrant, voiding the officers' legal right to hold Love.

The officers took him home.

According to the note, Love gave directions as best he could.

"Police told me that I'm crazy. I don't understand," the note says.

The police eventually found his house.

"When he walked in, his shirt was ripped, and he was just in a daze," his brother, Brodrick Love, said. "When I went outside, they (the police) took off. They stamped on that pedal."

In an interview Monday afternoon, Love told the Press-Register he had been a customer at the Dollar General numerous times in the past, and he estimated it was about half an hour from the time he entered the bathroom until the pepper spray started coming in.

Love said he did not open the door because he thought "the devil was trying to come in."

Michelle Jones, director of the Mobile division of the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, said miscommunication between police and the deaf is all too common, though her office works to minimize it by conducting training sessions with police departments in the area.

Federal disabilities law requires law enforcement to seek a translator in situations like Love's, she said.

Levy said an interpreter was called for but later cancelled when the officers learned that one of the responding ambulance workers knew sign language.

No credentialed interpreter was ever made available.

Late Monday, Love said, he was never told through an interpreter or shown on paper his Miranda rights — the right not to disclose information and the right to an attorney — required to be told to arrested persons.

Since the incident, Love's family said, he hasn't been himself. He's been scared of anyone in a police uniform, they said.

His mother, Phyllis Love, said she's thinking of contacting a lawyer.

"If they had done it in the right way," Brodrick Love said, "we wouldn't be going this route."

Flashing sign in front of an outlet store I pass almost every day:

BEAT THIS!
12 pack double roll toilet paper $4.99!
1 lb. beef jerky $3.99!
stun gun $19.99!

This is scary. I am certainly not a gun control person but this bothers me more because while very few people will pull the trigger on a real gun, way too many idiots, drunken rednecks, assholes and abusive people will think nothing of using a taser. They will use it because they think it's cool and they can get away with it. They'll do it for a cheap thrill, to feel power over someone or because they want to hurt someone but haven't got the balls to use a real gun, just like those cops who overuse them. I am afraid they're being used to torture animals, and the potential for child abuse and domestic abuse is huge with so many of these things out there and this easy to get. I bet it happens all the time and is rarely reported because people don't want to get the asshole in trouble because it will only cost his family more money and cause those in his life more grief. Yes the cops use them too much but too many people can get their sick kicks this way and it's disturbing.

Flashing sign in front of an outlet store I pass almost every day:

BEAT THIS!
12 pack double roll toilet paper $4.99!
1 lb. beef jerky $3.99!
stun gun $19.99!

This is scary. I am certainly not a gun control person but this bothers me more because while very few people will pull the trigger on a real gun, way too many idiots, drunken rednecks, assholes and abusive people will think nothing of using a taser. They will use it because they think it's cool and they can get away with it. They'll do it for a cheap thrill, to feel power over someone or because they want to hurt someone but haven't got the balls to use a real gun, just like those cops who overuse them. I am afraid they're being used to torture animals, and the potential for child abuse and domestic abuse is huge with so many of these things out there and this easy to get. I bet it happens all the time and is rarely reported because people don't want to get the asshole in trouble because it will only cost his family more money and cause those in his life more grief. Yes the cops use them too much but too many people can get their sick kicks this way and it's disturbing.

stun guns and tasers are a little bit different

Well you can make one with anything that packs a shock, it's not some secret method. Camera flashes have a pretty good "punch". When I was trying to fix my camera flash I gave up b/c the parts were so tiny and if you touch it wrong you will be thrown against the wall.

Yeah but it's still the same kind of thing and still scary to know any half witted redneck might have one.

not really, it's the same result but different delivery. a stun gun you have to get up close and personal at arms length to use it. once you use it on someone they are likely to fall or jerk and move, meaning you have to get in close again to apply the shock. a taser shoots darts (at a pretty decent range btw) that stick in your skin and deliver the shock for as long as the trigger is pressed.

kind of like the difference between a gun and a knife. and stun guns tend to have less power than tasers.

Less power is still too much in the hands of some drunken abusive redneck who thinks it's funny to use it on his woman, kid or dog. Because the ones who'd buy that $19.99 would know his victims there would be no problem getting close. I still don't think they should sell them to just anybody.

Less power is still too much in the hands of some drunken abusive redneck who thinks it's funny to use it on his woman, kid or dog. Because the ones who'd buy that $19.99 would know his victims there would be no problem getting close. I still don't think they should sell them to just anybody.

Well geez where do you draw the line? I could buy a plastic picnic knife and stab a stray dog...oh wait I'm not a drunken abusive redneck, only "those" types of people do shit like that....

Assholes don't need to spend that kind of money to be abusive.

The cops do seem a bit too quick to go to the Taser of late. Everyone is shying away from a good old beatdown.

First use of a taser for a spectator running onto the field. Seems a bit extreme for such an offense. That is quite a photo.

tazer__1272972208_2626.jpg

Phillies fan tasered after running onto field

May 4, 2010

PHILADELPHIA --A police officer used a Taser gun to apprehend a fan who ran onto the field during a Phillies game Monday night, and the team and the police are investigating whether it was an appropriate use of force.

The fan, wearing a baseball cap, red T-shirt and khaki shorts, hopped a fence and scurried around the outfield, eluding two security officers in the bottom of the eighth inning against the St. Louis Cardinals. One officer used a Taser and the fan went down in a heap. Several Phillies placed gloves over their faces and appeared to be stifling laughter at the wild scene.

Phillies spokeswomen Bonnie Clark said the police department is investigating the matter and discussing with the team whether using the stun gun was appropriate.

Police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore told The Philadelphia Inquirer police internal affairs will open an investigation to determine if the firing "was proper use of the equipment."

Vanore was not made available to The Associated Press when a call was placed to the police department's public affairs office late Monday night.

The teams said it's the first time a Taser has been used by police to apprehend a spectator who ran onto the field.

The fan was 17-year-old male and he will be charged with criminal trespass and related offenses, the team said. The Phillies did not release his name because he is a juvenile

:shame:

You have him surrounded by a ballpark, where's he going to go, just because you can't keep up with a 17 year old doesn't give you free reign on using your taser...

That guy's much too tall to be me. I'm flattered, though.

Philadelphia's police force is known for excessive use of force, corruption, all bad things cops do, etc., etc. This doesn't surprise me in the least.

The photo is very flattering for the cop. You can hardly tell that he is a waddling fatass like in the video

As for the taser, I would assume it's to protect the safety of the players and the other people on the field and in the dugouts. I guess even with the security screenings of people and bags, weapons can still get in and they have to consider that possibility. And obviously you aren't supposed to run onto the field. But it does seem over the top to tase someone for that. Apparently he can be considered a fleeing suspect.

(CBS/ AP) Philadelphia police say an officer appears to have acted appropriately when he used a Taser to subdue a teenager who ran onto the field during a Phillies game.

Lt. Frank Vanore, a police spokesman, says Commissioner Charles Ramsey reviewed the tape and felt the officer had acted within the department's guidelines, which allow officers to use Tasers to arrest fleeing suspects. Vanore says internal affairs is still investigating.

^I didn't make it, I stole it. But I like it

Philly not first to Taser a fan

By Peter Mucha

Inquirer Staff Writer

The Tasering of a Phillies fan last night raises the question: Was this a first?

It may have set a precedent for Citizens Bank Park, and even for a fan running on the field, but it's not the first time a fan has been Tasered at a game.

Apparently, it's happened at least several times before.

In January, before an NFL playoff game, Indianapolis police zapped Jets fan Patrick Mallon, 26, outside the stadium. Allegedly, he was verbally abusive and threw beer at other tailgaters.

"Cops grabbed the construction worker, threw him against their patrol car, punched him in the back of the head and then Tasered him, the witnesses said," according to the New York Post.

In August, Oakland police Tasered a fan in the stands - at least twice.

Thomas Bruso, 62, wasn't running away or throwing punches. He was sitting, waving his arms, as seen on a video shot by a fan.

Ushers tried to eject Bruso for sneaking in alcohol, swearing and being belligerent, but he refused to leave, according to ABC7 in San Francisco.

Three officers arrived.

"You can see here that the individual is really agitated," Officer Jeff Thomason said, reviewing the video. "He's not picking up his belongings that are here on this seat, he's not getting out of this seat. He's not complying with the officer's orders."

Oakland police use Tasers about 250 times a year, but had never used one at an A's game before, ABC7 reported.

Bruso was taken to a hospital for psychiatric evaluation.

But that probably wasn't historic either.

In October 2008, a couple of Red Sox fans were Tasered in the stands in Tampa. The month before, an officer put a Taser to the head of a Sox fan, but didn't fire. But during the American League Championship Series, videos of two incidents apparently show officers subduing fans with Tasers.

Tasering, like players, may have started in the minor leagues before going to majors.

A brawl in the stands at a New England Stars hockey game in April 2007 "resulted in five arrests for breach of peace, three injured Danbury [Conn.] police officers, one 375-pound fan being subdued with a Taser and a promise by Mayor Mark Boughton that there would be a stronger police presence at the Stars' next home game," according to the Danbury News-Times.

Tasered fan Mike Bernardi, 32, said the experience wasn't painful. "Sort of like putting jumper cables on your ears," he told the newspaper.

At least he asked his father for permission first

Tasered teen asked dad for OK to run on field

By Peter Mucha

Inquirer Staff Writer

"He wasn't drinking. He was not on drugs," said the father of the teen Tasered by police in the outfield at Citizens Bank Park last night.

Steve Consalvi, 17, is a senior at Boyertown High and "a real good student, heading to Penn State," according to his father, Wayne, 45, who owns Consalvi Auto Repair in Pottstown.

Steve even called from the park last night, asking for permission to run on the field, as the Phillies hosted the St. Louis Cardinals, the elder Consalvi said.

"He said, 'Dad, can I run on the field? I said, 'I don't think you should, son.' "

"This would be a once in a lifetime experience!" the son said.

There wasn't any dare or a bet, involving the friends the teen was with.

Fearing the worst, the father called a buddy, Lou Caparoni, also at the game.

"Stevie's going to run on the field! You gotta stop him!" Wayne Consalvi recalled.

He knew his buddy, seated in another part of Citizens Bank Park, probably couldn't help.

Sure enough, in the eighth inning, there was Steve, running around in center field, trying to evade police and security personnel. An officer appeared to aim his Taser a few times before hitting the teen, who fell before being led off the field.

It was the first time any fan was Tasered on the field at Citizens Bank Park, according to the Phillies, who will meet with police to discuss handling such situations in the future.

Fans have reportedly been Tasered in the stands at other ballparks, including an Oakland game in August.

This morning, Steve wasn't in school, he was in front of a judge, the father said.

"He's down there with his mother."

The parents divorced more than a decade ago, and Steve basically lives with her in Gilbertsville. [Update: See separate story for comments from the mother and stepfather.]

"She's a good mother," said Wayne, who lives in Upper Pottsgrove.

"I don't recommend running on the field, but I don't think they should have Tased him at all," he said.

"You can't condone this kind of behavior," he added, but he explained he wasn't angry, because it was "teenagers having fun."

Another person Steve apparently knows had a different view:

"hahhaha i knoww that kid that was on the phillies field....he is my HERO i love youuu," tweeted Ashley / Phillies 819 shortly after midnight.

"i love you steve consalvi," she tweeted next.

"I don't recommend running on the field, but I don't think they should have Tased him at all," he said.

"You can't condone this kind of behavior," he added, but he explained he wasn't angry, because it was "teenagers having fun."

police abuse, I hope they get sued
and this kid breaks the bank

fight the power

with twitter - they can get a flash mob of about 300- 400 on that field!

how many tasers they got? 3 or 4

Back
Top Bottom