West Memphis Three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This whole subject makes me want to vomit in sadness/anger/terror.

The boys who were killed, the boys who were accused and jailed, the rush to blame and find "justice" at any cost .... uuuuuuugh.

I think a lot of us have watched and (in here somewhere) discussed the documentary:

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills (1996)

In 1993, three eight-year-old boys were found brutally murdered in the woods of West Memphis, Arkansas. Though the evidence suggested the masterwork and skill of a seasoned killer, the police... In 1993, three eight-year-old boys were found brutally murdered in the woods of West Memphis, Arkansas. Though the evidence suggested the masterwork and skill of a seasoned killer, the police hastily assigned the blame to three alienated boys with a predilection for heavy metal music and black clothing. The directors' omnipresent yet unobtrusive camera draws the viewer into an intensely gripping trial and investigation, during which an atmosphere of small town "Satanic panic" and a case filled with holes reveals itself. All sides of the story are carefully explored--the emotions and opinions of victims' families, lawyers, and the boys themselves--as the trial slowly builds to its shocking outcome. The masterful editing of Berlinger and Sinofsky transforms the often dry courtroom documentary into smooth and compelling storytelling, and the most articulate of the condemned boys, Damien Echols, emerges as the fascinating centerpiece. Effective use is made of heavy metal band Metallica's early music, which gives an audio soundtrack to the alienation and hopelessness of the accused boys. Powerful and often heartwrenching, this award-winning documentary is, in the fact of its reality, more frightening, tragic, and unforgettable than many works of fiction.

if I recall, the ending left me unconvinced of their guilt.

Didn't see any posts about this, but glad to hear the three were finally released several days ago. Must be strange to suddenly be free after 18 years.

The sad part is that they will never have a normal life, and now living 18 years in prison plus no skillset, there's a high liklihood of returning...

I agree about the skill set.

the guy with the Robert Smith hair is married, plus they were not criminals before entering prison, so I don't see them as returning to a life of crime.

I agree about the skill set.

the guy with the Robert Smith hair is married, plus they were not criminals before entering prison, so I don't see them as returning to a life of crime.

I meant returning to prison, since they are all on probation(due to their screwy deal). So my understanding is that if one gets caught with a joint it could be a violation of parole.

A fairly large percentage of people having spent time in prison will get arrested for something, even if they were originally innocent.

I was reading an article about Damien Echols and how he was struggling to figure out how to use an iphone, it was totally foreign to him.

One of the other guys said that he was willing to get a gps chip on him so that no one could ever say he was somewhere he wasn't.

Must be tough, but these guys have a larger support network than most people who are released from jail.

Last edited:
new info: Statements Implicate Terry Hobbs In West Memphis 3 Murders - WREG

(Little Rock, AR 1/20/2012) New statements made public today implicate the stepfather of one of the three boys murdered in West Memphis, AR in 1993.

The statements came from at least three people who claim Terry Hobbs confessed to his brother he killed Christopher Byers, Michael Moore and his stepson Stevie Branch.

News Channel 3 talked with the attorney of former death row inmate Damien Echols, Stephen Braga, who says all three witnesses passed polygraph tests.

Braga is trying to get the investigation into what became known as the West Memphis 3 murders reopened.

Echols, Jessie Misskelley Jr., and Jason Baldwin were released from prison last year and made a deal where they plead guilty but maintained their innocence.

News Channel 3 went to Discount Building Supply Friday where Terry Hobbs works. Hobbs was at the office, but would not comment on the case.

Jessie Misskelley, one of the convicted killers who was released last year, stayed neutral on the new information, simply saying, "the truth needs to be known and they need to find out who did it."

"I think they need to look into it. If he didn't do it, he didn't do it," Misskelley added, referring to Terry Hobbs.

We also tried contacting Mark Byers and Pam Hobbs, parents of two the boys killed in 1993. Both were at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah for the premiere of the latest movie on the infamous murders entitled "West of Memphis." Damien Echols was also there.

Ms. Hobbs told us in an interview last year that she had long believed the three men who went to prison for the killings were guilty, but had started to have second thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom