Weather Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 things about the chart:

1. When Boston was under a mile of ice wasn't 19500 BCE, it was 2015. I remember it well.

B. Love the Stonehenge depiction.

Matthew is quite a storm for October. If the track holds it just running parallel to coastline from Fort Lauderdale to Charleston could be one of the costliest disasters in US history. The northern onshore flow with the eye within 20 miles of land will a lawnmower of storm surge for hundreds of miles across 4 states. Instead of 3-4 beach communities seeing devastation with a direct landfall you could see upwards of 500 towns and cities taking a similar beating.

The kicker is once it is done it weakens and loops all the way around for a 2nd time. Curious to see if it would re-strengthen.

214535W5_NL_sm.gif

Last edited:
Yeah this is literally "the perfect storm" in terms of its trajectory, wouldn't ya say? To shear the coastline but stay over water, only to loop back out far enough, come back to warm water, and smack the state...

Communication with back home has gone dark, so I'm under the assumption that all family/friends have lost power at this point.

Yeah the curvature matching the coast is too perfect. We should hope it makes landfall because it will rapidly weaken. If the course keeps, it will be an amazing historical anomaly.

Georgia never gets hit, because it is geographically in the bite of two protruding landmasses. Florida and NC. Don't think Savannah has taken a major hit in over 100 years.

Side note: Katrina came ashore with 135 mph hour winds making it a borderline category 3-4 (the shear momentum of its former self caused the huge surge nonetheless)

Matthew could hold at 140 mph winds all the way to Jacksonville with Gulf Stream water temps 84-88 degrees.

EDIT: Looks like the threshold for category 4 has been lowered to 130 mph. I always remembered it as 134 mph in the past.

After having experienced Frances/Jeanne and then Wilma the year following, I feel as though Florida is well protected in terms of human life. And that's one positive to take away, at least.

I remember after Wilma, expecting a legitimate death toll. I remember thinking, I bet some people from school will be dead (I was 14 at the time).

Surprisingly, I believe only 3 people in Florida died from that storm. And Wilma was absolutely brutal. To be honest I can't recall which was actually more powerful as it went overhead (we had the eye of Wilma, and practically the eye of Frances and Jeanne (within 20 miles away from us).

So, again, I think(hope) Andrew was the lesson that taught Florida forever.

My family outside of Orlando don't usually worry too much - a lot of rain, some wind, but they're a bit worried with this one. Especially knowing it might turn around and make a second pass at Florida.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

My family outside of Orlando don't usually worry too much - a lot of rain, some wind, but they're a bit worried with this one. Especially knowing it might turn around and make a second pass at Florida.

Orlando is where a fair amount of costal people will have retreated to. It'll be fine, I wouldn't worry too much.

Waffle Houses are closing, so you know it's serious.

I have a coworker who was at Disney and had a flight out earlier this evening. Luckily got out after a 90 minute delay and about an hour before the airport was due to shut down.

The track of this thing looping back around is crazy.

When it loops around it is basically running into its own wake. It will have churned up cooler water from lower depths. And the air will be drier. Not sure it can regain its power.

Have to say Oregoropa is putting in a legendary shift in this thread. Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing your knowledge. :up:

Thanx Zoomerang. Headed out to the cabin for the weekend so may not be too focused on it and the thread after 1 pm tomorrow.

Watching the Weather Channel using dramatic intro music. Almost wish they used the beginning of Bullet the Blue Sky for the coverage up to the first two lines.

That would be badass.

Looks like the big band of the outer eye squall is about to come onshore while the eye stays 40 miles out. That will bring Hurricane force winds to the coast, while the eye can still maintain a healthy distance to function.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I have a coworker who was at Disney and had a flight out earlier this evening. Luckily got out after a 90 minute delay and about an hour before the airport was due to shut down.

The track of this thing looping back around is crazy.
I was on a business trip in Florida this week and was supposed to drive directly into the hurricane on Wednesday/Thursday. I cut it short and flew out of Orlando back home just before things started to look ugly.

Back
Top Bottom