Vax reactions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep! That was the weirdest thing. I felt like I was a little drunk for 2 days.

That's one of the weirdest things about COVID. When they talk about brain fog, but this overwhelming feeling that there is something off about how your brain is working and it lasted for weeks for us after the other physical symptoms abated. It was actually the worst part for both me and my husband because by week 4 or 5 you start to become depressed, wondering if it will ever end. I could hardly do my job because concentrating was so difficult. And then just as strangely one day I woke up and it was totally gone. Not a gradual improvement over days or weeks, literally just gone.

Was definitely like a hangover. Would have moments where i felt like i was coming out of it and then I’d want to do nothing but lay down. Wasn’t really hungry either.

Still feel a little off in the head today but basically 100%.

Now avoid any covid for 12 days to make sure i reach the full protection!!

Wife and I got our second shots yesterday. No reactions for the first, but we both feel sick today - mostly cold symptoms but nothing too terrible.

It hit me after about 19-20 hours.
Got the 2nd Pfizer shot Monday afternoon, woke up pretty much fine yesterday, slight soreness in the arm, went to work so as not to break my Ripken-esque streak (haven't stayed home sick since February 2008 when I missed a few days after contracting something nasty after a flight home from Phoenix, some think it was the flu, but most likely it was a reaction to the noxious fumes emanating from the 20lbs of Stick-um on David Tyree's helmet).
All was good till roughly 11:00 when started to feel tired then got a vicious headache. That lasted into the night, napped when I got home had something to eat, felt a bit better, still mild headache when I went to bed.
All good today.

That's one of the weirdest things about COVID. When they talk about brain fog, but this overwhelming feeling that there is something off about how your brain is working and it lasted for weeks for us after the other physical symptoms abated. It was actually the worst part for both me and my husband because by week 4 or 5 you start to become depressed, wondering if it will ever end. I could hardly do my job because concentrating was so difficult. And then just as strangely one day I woke up and it was totally gone. Not a gradual improvement over days or weeks, literally just gone.
I don't recall the feeling of it going away, but I had more than a few nights my first week back to work where I had to excuse some really boneheaded mistakes I made and blame it on the covid. Just moments where I was completely blanking about really normal standard parts of my job.

I just got shot 2 (Pfizer) yesterday!
A little more pressure, and a bit of an ache that went right away.
This time I used Arnica cream and night when I woke up (anti inflammatory)
While my 1st shot the ache (only on lifting arm) went up to a 3 for 1/2 a day-
I haven't gone past a 1 this time.

I'm at 34 hours past shot. No other effects.

May 14th will be my (semi) Liberation Day!

Of course, will continue to mask, and distance in general. In a park/garden on a sunny day with few people around I will! unnmask. I'll keep an eye on the news, and hopefully will be able to unmask more maybe? Hopefully no worse varients. Later I guess we'll be getting booster shots.

I'd be curious to hear how fully vaccinated people have gradually changed their habits. What kind of things are you doing now that you weren't before? What types of gatherings are you comfortable attending?

I'll be officially fully vaccinated (2 weeks after my second shot) this weekend, so trying to think about this a bit more. We are not planning any radical changes of behavior, of course, except for our son going back to daycare finally. We will likely only sit outdoors in restaurants through the summer, maybe do small gatherings with vaccinated friends at home, and I generally feel much safer already going into a bookstore, record store, or just getting groceries. But I'm genuinely curious how others are approaching this - especially those of you with unvaccinated children.

2019 I set a record for myself with 37 flights.

2020 post pandemic went down to 3.

I’m ready to slowly start ramping back up again...

I'd be curious to hear how fully vaccinated people have gradually changed their habits. What kind of things are you doing now that you weren't before? What types of gatherings are you comfortable attending?

I'll be officially fully vaccinated (2 weeks after my second shot) this weekend, so trying to think about this a bit more. We are not planning any radical changes of behavior, of course, except for our son going back to daycare finally. We will likely only sit outdoors in restaurants through the summer, maybe do small gatherings with vaccinated friends at home, and I generally feel much safer already going into a bookstore, record store, or just getting groceries. But I'm genuinely curious how others are approaching this - especially those of you with unvaccinated children.

i am returning to life as normal - as much as that is possible with continued restrictions. i'll still wear my mask where it's required and follow whatever restrictions are in place - but i have started going without it outside now that the CDC has changed the guidance there.

any concern that i had over catching this thing and bringing it home is gone. yes, i know that it's technically still possible - but the odds are very very low.

if the odds of getting this thing or spreading this thing were as low as they are for vaccinated persons back in March 2020, nobody would have ever gone into lockdown. life would have proceeded as normal.

i fully support the use of vaccine passports and i do not give a turkey about hurting the feelings of those who willingly decide that they do not want the shot. guess what? you don't get to go to the sportsball game. but i do. you want to? great. get the shot. no? tough. deal with it. can we make exceptions for the incredibly small number of persons who have a legitimate medical reason for not getting the shot? of course. but if you just don't want to get it for whatever dumb reason? ok. go home and fold your tin foil hats. you don't get to come to the party.

i have zero fear of sending my children to schools, camps, or taking them on trips. we'll still keep them away from larger crowds for the most part - at least for now - but that's not really an issue as there really aren't any indoor large crowds anyways. and the overwhelming number of cases of children catching this thing have been either asymptomatic or mild. severe covid in children is exceedingly rare.

we took this thing seriously. i understand the hesitancy of returning to normal - but once you're vaccinated? it's time to get on with your life.

Last edited:
We’re now doing outdoor gatherings and enjoying what’s been a really nice spring. Outdoor dining is fine as well, but we still default to take out, usually, and not quite ready for indoor stuff. I’ve also stopped wearing a mask when walking the dog, but still give people plenty of space on sidewalks out of courtesy (don’t want people to think I’m a selfish Republican asshole responsible for 100s of 1000s of needless death).

But that’s about it.

Thanks for the considerate responses. It's really hard to abandon newly-gained habits, but I'm here for it. The main thing I'd love to do - travel to Brazil - is off the cards for the time being, so I'll be happy to enjoy what I can here. Just getting our 2-year old to daycare for the first time in 14 months feels like a major step forward.

I'm going on a solo trip next in 10 days. Nothing crazy - out Thursday night and home early evening Sunday.

By the time I even get on the plane at BWI it will already be the longest I've been alone outside the house that wasn't directly associated with work since early March 2020.

And I love my family and all, but holy hell is this needed.

I've never worn a mask outdoors to begin with, with the sole exception of lining up for my COVID test. Just wasn't ever in any circumstances where there was such crowding as to necessitate the mask. Our kids have been in school and in daycare in person the entire time with the exception of government mandated shut downs.

We now know that people who had COVID and who got one dose of either mRNA vaccine are fully vaccinated. Not only do they produce higher levels of antibodies than non-COVID people who have had two shots, but they also show an adequate response to variants (that response is reduced in those who haven't had COVID). I am following the science in that and since basically my entire family has had COVID and has been vaccinated, I have no issue visiting my parents in their home or my brother's family.

Although I know I'm functionally fully immune my life hasn't changed because almost nobody I know here is fully vaxxed and leisure travel has not started up again. Once it does, I would definitely travel with the kids.

Where I would still choose not to go for a while - cruises (if ever), city vacations where you're indoors a lot going to museums, restaurants ,etc and have to mask up), indoor concerts or other packed events.

I don't get my second shot until early next week. Two weeks after that I look forward to feeling much more comfortable doing things.

Not exciting to most people, but I can't wait to go back to an actual movie theater. It has always been one of my favorite things to do. I always used to go on off peak days and times, so I would still do that.

I would love to go to a baseball game. To a theater show, ballet..whenever those start up again. To a museum.

I didn't travel that much before, but I would like to again once my life circumstances allow.

I only wore a mask outside when I couldn't distance enough, ex on a sidewalk or bike trail. Even though it was required in my state, I thought it was overboard and used my common sense. Always had a mask with me. I have been very responsible, but I see no point in getting vaccinated unless that includes more normalcy.

I look forward to simple things like being in a store and not having fear of covid.

Since my second shot, I've been back to work, outdoor dining and bars, baseball games, movie theaters, retail stores and malls. I have not gone back to the gym or library, but Los Angeles County libraries only just reopened today, so I intend to go back there soon as well. I'm looking to go to the zoo and a karaoke bar this weekend.

If they're going to send me back to work, I'm going to enjoy my spare time accordingly.

Last edited:
That's another thing that I love and miss so much-the library. My local one was open for half an hour browsing for months, now it's an hour.

I have been in there once, last year. I had to give contact tracing info to a guy sitting behind a wall of plexiglass. All the seating was removed. It was all so depressing to me that I didn't want to go back in.

Only been 6 days since my 2nd shot, so no major changes as yet. Did book our flights for summer vacation back in early April after we got our first shots. Son is due for his 2nd shot on the 16th, so we'll all be fully protected by Memorial Day. Planning on going to family cookout with no concerns as all the adults will be vaxxed by then.
Like Mrs. S., I am looking forward to going to the movies, a simple activity which I always enjoyed and have missed. Watching at home just isn't the same, especially certain types of movies which are tailor made for big screen viewing.
Wife wants to avoid indoor dining still, and that's fine. We'll start dining outdoors at some of the local places once weather cooperates (we did so probably 7-8 times last summer).
And with the soft target of August 1 for full reopening here in MA, I've started looking at the concert schedule for what's out there (basically all shows rescheduled from 2020) and thinking about maybe grabbing tix for something at one of the outdoor venues.

But mainly, like Headache mentioned, I feel a lot less anxious about the possibility of catching the thing during my daily routine.

Of course there's nothing even worth seeing(to me, that I know of) in movie theaters these days. I don't care, I would go anyway. And I want to support a business that's been destroyed by the pandemic.

I paid for HBO Max for a month last Dec just to watch Wonder Woman 2, and it stunk.

hi gump. Being that I'm in NYC, thought I'd add mine.
(glad your son is going back to daycare!)

Originally I cut my out & aboutness (as I go around The Bronx, Manhattan, and Brooklyn) by 95% for months going only to my very local shops, Chinese takeout, and monthly bus ride to my next neighborhood for meds, and other extra things from same Walgreens.
Then added another 5-8% going out to eat lunch with my sis in her nabe Late Aug - just before Election day. One trip to my "closest" Trader Joe's last ?Sept. Three trips to Home Depot between Oct and Feb.
Always masked, and distancing. One trip to a big park in Sept.

I might take a quick trip to same park tomorrow to see the azellias in bloom.

So now... once I've hit max vaccine strength still mask, and distance except in parks, gardens (will have masks w me). I will feel safer. My sis is all done w vac so after mid-May when we meet up for lunch we can finally hug each other! Waiting on another friend getting her vacs.
I'll also send some point go to a ❤️ Barnes & Noble Union SQ(!) for books & CDs. Trader Joe's (at last for their special stuff, and regular stuff that I can't get in my nabe), and Fairways.
I need a new TV - so Best Buy. Blick ❤️ Art, and Michaels in Tribeca. One or two trips each - not the more frequent trips of before yet. Maybe a trip or two Brooklyn?
And depending how the numbers track maybe The UnSQ Green market on a sunny day late July + for Heirloom Tomatoes, fresh corn, etc

So I guess you could say my traveling will go up by 35% so a total of close to 50% of being out. Halfway to my original life. We'll see from there.

Last edited:
I don't get my second shot until early next week. Two weeks after that I look forward to feeling much more comfortable doing things.

Not exciting to most people, but I can't wait to go back to an actual movie theater. It has always been one of my favorite things to do. I always used to go on off peak days and times, so I would still do that.

I would love to go to a baseball game. To a theater show, ballet..whenever those start up again. To a museum.

I didn't travel that much before, but I would like to again once my life circumstances allow.

I only wore a mask outside when I couldn't distance enough, ex on a sidewalk or bike trail. Even though it was required in my state, I thought it was overboard and used my common sense. Always had a mask with me. I have been very responsible, but I see no point in getting vaccinated unless that includes more normalcy.

I look forward to simple things like being in a store and not having fear of covid.

The simple things will feel better. Even just very local shopping feels better to me.
My sis just went to her first movie theater; in 13+ months last week. She loves movies so I know how you feel. In her case one of the nicest Independent and Independent films theaters in NYC. She had a lovely time!

Last edited:
happy to report that i finally, finally got my first jab (pfizer) this morning. me and the mrs had to line up really early, and we still had to get lucky (they gave us the 4th and 3rd-last shots available for the day), but at least it's a relief to feel that the beginning of the end is finally in sight. second appointment is in august.

i feel really loopy, tired and unfocused this afternoon but no soreness in my arm, though i hear that is mostly a second-day thing. it's hard to get anything done for work today but thankfully it's a slow day.

Back
Top Bottom