US rapper and dancer suspects in Tokyo hotel death of female Irish student

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am so horribly confused as to what in the world we're actually supposed to be arguing over right now :huh: :crack:.

Read this article, people, you might actually learn something from it, if you're not completely determined to deny reality that is:

Misogyny in hip hop culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And stop assuming, incidentally, that black music = rap music, and therefore if anyone critiques rap music they are also criticising black people generally - its childish and simplistic and makes you come off like self-hating knee jerk touch button liberals.

1. Who the hell said anything about how black music is automatically equivalent to rap music here? Nobody did. Of course we're all well aware that black music doesn't automatically equal rap music, no freaking DUH. And who in the world said there was no misogyny in rap music? You're putting words in everyone's mouths here. Nobody has said criticizing rap music automatically equates to criticizing black people.

All we said is that the rap music they listened to or were a part of or whatever likely has squat to do with the tragic situation at hand and that you could point to ANY musical genre and say people who work in it/listen to it can be influenced to do horrible things to each other. It's stupid to single out one genre and put the blame on it and its "culture", whatever it is. If someone was here blaming rock music and its culture for some guy going on a shooting spree we'd say the exact same things we're saying now about rap music. And we were confused as to what any of this had to do with your "Obamanation" comment, because you've not drawn a very clear line about it and you dropped that in the first post in this thread and left it there with no further explanation as to what in the world it even meant.

2. I will state this yet AGAIN: The story you started this whole thread off with is not getting attention here in the U.S. because it did not happen here. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the race of the people involved, the musical event or genre, any of that stuff. It has to do with the simple fact that it didn't happen here, so if it does get mention, it will likely be a small blurb on a back page in the paper or online at best. It's unfortunate, but that's generally how things work. I'm pretty sure most, if not all, countries often don't cover crimes that don't occur on their soil unless there's other special circumstances involved. If the rapper in question was really well-known here, even, that might get it a bit more attention. But I'm not familiar with the guy, he doesn't seem to be a big player, so again, sadly, it won't get much, if any, mention here.

As for your mention of the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons and Rev. Wrights and such of the world, I cannot answer for them, I don't know how their minds work on such matters. But speaking for myself, I will speak out against ANY crimes committed against other people, I don't give a crap what their race is. If more people aren't speaking out against such things, generally, it's likely because they hadn't heard the story to begin with. I don't know why some stories get more attention than others. It depends on the media, how outspoken the victims' loved ones are, perhaps some racial stuff, who knows? I just know that I have seen more than my fair share of stories on the news about black people committing crimes against white people. I know I see tons of stories every year about suburban white women and children missing, they flood the covers of People magazine and get "Dateline" episodes about them and books and that sort of thing. I don't see that nearly as often with black women or children. And so on. You don't live here, yet you're making an awful lot of assumptions about how our media works and how we cover things.

Honestly, though, I hate that game of "who gets more attention". If it were a perfect world EVERY crime would get attention and be solved, race or gender or economic background or religion or whatever wouldn't factor into it at all. But it's not. And I have no control over what the media covers. I only respond to what I hear about, and my feelings won't change simply because the skin color of the people involved does.

This has to be one of the strangest, most nonsensical threads ever, seriously. People have mentioned trolling-you're a regular poster, so I find it hard to believe you'd be trolling, I'm inclined to believe you're serious. I honestly don't know what all this sudden weirdness is about, but it doesn't make any sense.

Are you using a time machine from the 1990's? Are you going to blame videogames next?

I see that everyone already caught on to the fact that we're talking about Minaj here and not, you know, Eminem, but I still want comment on how fucking hilarious it is anyways.

okay, i'm gonna ask one more time. the title of the thread is "us rapper and dancer suspects in tokyo hotel death of female irish student". not "discuss the evils of blacks or rap music" or whatever. i mean yeah threads don't have to strictly stick to a topic but when it just becomes arguing, then it's back on topic or we close the thread.

okay, i'm gonna ask one more time. the title of the thread is "us rapper and dancer suspects in tokyo hotel death of female irish student". not "discuss the evils of blacks or rap music" or whatever. i mean yeah threads don't have to strictly stick to a topic but when it just becomes arguing, then it's back on topic or we close the thread.

But it was the OP that skewed the convo this way. He's claiming it's part of his original argument. Discussions are fluid (and it's not like his original argument was any less ridicule worthy ;) ). But if you think it's run its course, then maybe this bitch should be locked down regardless

Back
Top Bottom