US Politics XXXV: My Insurrection Lasted More Than 4 Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what Republicans who get their mistresses pregnant are going to do now (not really wondering).

"First and foremost, I believe in saving every life possible"-Kev McCarthy today

Mass murder of born children-thoughts and prayers, but Kev's gotta stay in power

Maybe... just maybe... the young progressives can get off their fucking asses and get their generation to actually vote a little instead of just throwing arrows at the older moderates who actually do turn out.

Seriously. Stop yelling at the rest of the damn party and get your own demographic to give a shit enough to vote. Us old fart establishment types would actually fucking welcome it.

Want to change the world? Okay. So fucking do it. Stop bitching at everyone else, look at your own peers who stay at home every. damn. time. and go fucking change the world.

Last edited:
Wondering what Republicans who get their mistresses pregnant are going to do now (not really wondering).

I say we put every single Republican who's paid for a mistress' (or hell, their wife's) abortion on blast. Let everyone see how they're totally for abortion when it benefits them. Hound them about it everywhere they go. I'm not even suggesting it in the hopes it'll motivate voters, I just want that constant reminder out there, and I want to make their lives hell for it the way they're happily wiling to make women's lives hell.

I still can't believe that the justices Trump appointed, as well as Thomas, are even allowed to still be on the bench. I know the Senate controls appointing and removing them, but I have to think there's got to be, or at least there should be, some special circumstance/exception/whatever that could force them to resign, since a) we have proof that Thomas' wife was actively complicit in the January 6th insurrection, b) the other justices were appointed by a twice-impeached president who later tried to violently overthrow an election, and c) the justices Trump appointed clearly lied in their testimony during their hearings, when they were going on about Roe was settled law and all that. Shouldn't all of that be enough to force them out somehow, some way? One would think it should be.

Just...when in the goddamn fuck are the Republicans ever going to actually face some legit serious consequences for their horrific and shitty behavior? When do their actions get to finally backfire on them? When is our country going to finally stop being held hostage by their insane policies?

I agree, too, that the Democrats need to stop playing nice. Take the gloves off and fight back, and fight hard. We literally can't afford to be polite anymore. Use their tactics against them.

The moral arc of the universe bends towards power. And only one side of the aisle acts accordingly.

The GOP are monsters, but they're not subtle and they're pretty consistent. We have known forever what they were going to do when they got the opportunity.

The Democrats never even attempted to stop this from happening. No attempt to pack the court, no attempt to pass a law, no attempt to exert pressure on members of their own party. Just "please donate money to the DNC for the next election, once again the most important one in history!" Oh, and the one thing they did do when this leaked two months ago was pass a bill to increase security for the Supreme Court that spent this week killing abortion rights, Miranda rights, and gun control, while signaling they're coming for gay marriage next. The Democrats decided the most important thing to do was make sure those people didn't have their comfort threatened.

The Democratic Party cannot and will not save us. We need something else.

I'mstill damn glad we have President Joe Biden, VP Kamala Harris, and a bunch of (not all but) Good Democrats in all levels of government.

we know how the movie ends when fascistic politicians fabricate an issue in order to scapegoat a minority via incendiary language designed to get a rise out of the bigots who support them.

calling us groomers and pedophiles makes us much easier to murder.

Been a quite challenging few months for me, occasionally missing things.
So the term "groomers" has been conjured up for the LGBTQI Community in particular? Or adopted from wherever else? (yeah, I know the other degrading term has been around for a looong time)

Yikes!

Elections have consequences.

But hey, Hillary and Trump are the same #FeelTheBern
Oh, yeah. God, what bullshit!!!
I blame those who voted 3rd party, particularly in purple, and red States; non voters; over heated Bernie Bros; Koch brothers, Vlad.

Roe v Wade officially overturned

What's next? Probably gay marriage
Sooner or later. :(
Damn. I know it wasn't the biggest issue for some in the community...but still.

I remember when it was passed in NYC I was downtown that even and and I saw a pair of brides (in traditional dresses) together, and a pair of grooms (in formal wear) together. It was so sweet, and they were so happy.

She is the worst.
Not the worst but damn pathetic!!!!

I’m really hating Texas right now.
The liberals I know in Texas aren't too thrilled either right now. They're infuriated, too.

Maybe... just maybe... the young progressives can get off their fucking asses and get their generation to actually vote a little instead of just throwing arrows at the older moderates who actually do turn out.

Seriously. Stop yelling at the rest of the damn party and get your own demographic to give a shit enough to vote. Us old fart establishment types would actually fucking welcome it.

Want to change the world? Okay. So fucking do it. Stop bitching at everyone else, look at your own peers who stay at home every. damn. time. and go fucking change the world.

I don't know when these apathetic young voters emerged.
I was in (and it made sense back then re: The Vietnam War) the first group of 18 yr old voters back then in 1971. We couldn't wait to vote!

I've voted in almost every single general election, and almost all of the primaries. Yeah, a half century of voting.

Last edited:
I say we put every single Republican who's paid for a mistress' (or hell, their wife's) abortion on blast. Let everyone see how they're totally for abortion when it benefits them. Hound them about it everywhere they go. I'm not even suggesting it in the hopes it'll motivate voters, I just want that constant reminder out there, and I want to make their lives hell for it the way they're happily wiling to make women's lives hell.

I still can't believe that the justices Trump appointed, as well as Thomas, are even allowed to still be on the bench. I know the Senate controls appointing and removing them, but I have to think there's got to be, or at least there should be, some special circumstance/exception/whatever that could force them to resign, since a) we have proof that Thomas' wife was actively complicit in the January 6th insurrection, b) the other justices were appointed by a twice-impeached president who later tried to violently overthrow an election, and c) the justices Trump appointed clearly lied in their testimony during their hearings, when they were going on about Roe was settled law and all that. Shouldn't all of that be enough to force them out somehow, some way? One would think it should be.

Just...when in the goddamn fuck are the Republicans ever going to actually face some legit serious consequences for their horrific and shitty behavior? When do their actions get to finally backfire on them? When is our country going to finally stop being held hostage by their insane policies?

I agree, too, that the Democrats need to stop playing nice. Take the gloves off and fight back, and fight hard. We literally can't afford to be polite anymore. Use their tactics against them.
:wave: :hug: Moonlit

Yeah, all this.
I've thought that at certain times through the years we Dems had to get Nasty. As they say don't bring a knife to a gun fight.
I was (and am) raised to be a considerate person. But Ican be nasty if I have to be.

100% this

And guess what, there’s proof that consistent turnout gets you exactly what you want.

The Right has wanted this since the 70s, and they kept chipping away. Their base showed up every election, even the ones they didn’t win at the national level, they made gains at the state and local. They did not care who was on their side, it was more important to win. They knew the long game and played it perfectly.

If the youth and progressive side did the the same, we could probably have all the universal stuff within the same time period or even quicker

But no, we need every blue candidate to pass a purity test and is they don’t score 100%, we stay home

I'm just so tired of the bitching and moaning about Pelosi and the establishment and blah blah fucking blah.

They get elected because old people vote. They stick with watered down versions of what you'd like them to do because, again, old people vote. So they cater to the people who show up and throw lip service to those who don't.

Want younger politicians and new ideas? Get younger people to vote. Period.

Unfortunately it seems these new rulings affect the poorest folks in the poorest states.

This bears repeating. Wealthy families in Texas etc will still find ways to access abortion and other reproductive care if they want because they have the means to travel on short notice or otherwise circumvent restrictions. Hatred of the poor is the unifying thread to so much Republican policy.

I wonder if the best response right now is for blue states to set up asylum funds for women seeking reproductive care. I would happily pay taxes toward such a program.

This bears repeating. Wealthy families in Texas etc will still find ways to access abortion and other reproductive care if they want because they have the means to travel on short notice or otherwise circumvent restrictions. Hatred of the poor is the unifying thread to so much Republican policy.

I wonder if the best response right now is for blue states to set up asylum funds for women seeking reproductive care. I would happily pay taxes toward such a program.

And yet, education is becoming the single biggest indicator of how one votes.

Do non-college whites understand what they do to themselves by voting Republican?

Or do they simply like that this party uses politics to exact revenge on their cultural enemies.

Or do they simply like that this party uses politics to exact revenge on their cultural enemies.

This is all it is now. When you are told (or yelled at) that the other side is the enemy, you don’t care if there’s suffering on your end as long as the other side suffers too or worse.

We ask ourselves how did societies allow atrocities to happen, this self destructive behavior from a large portion of population, in parallel with the rest of society feeling helpless….allows strongmen to take control.

We still have a chance. 2022 can start to reverse, or at least hold off destruction till 2025

But people have to vote. There is no other solution

I'm just so tired of the bitching and moaning about Pelosi and the establishment and blah blah fucking blah.

They get elected because old people vote. They stick with watered down versions of what you'd like them to do because, again, old people vote. So they cater to the people who show up and throw lip service to those who don't.

Want younger politicians and new ideas? Get younger people to vote. Period.

Coincidentally the nation’s most energetic young voters ail reside in DC, California, and New York. Barking up the wrong tree if you want youngs in Florida or Texas to make a difference, but they’re certainly who you’re referring to.

And yet, education is becoming the single biggest indicator of how one votes.

Do non-college whites understand what they do to themselves by voting Republican?

I'm a non-college white person, and I'm sure as hell not voting Republican - never have, never will. That is definitely a factor, too, yes, but I hesitate to lump all people of certain educational brackets together like that. Lord knows we've seen college-educated people support some really stupid politicians and policies, after all.

I'm a non-college white person, and I'm sure as hell not voting Republican - never have, never will. That is definitely a factor, too, yes, but I hesitate to lump all people of certain educational brackets together like that. Lord knows we've seen college-educated people support some really stupid politicians and policies, after all.

Absolutely. It’s never everybody. But politics is looking at broad groups of people ans trying to understand and then influence behavior (voting).

I apologize for painting with such a broad brush, but this is the trend — non-college whites are becoming GOP, and along with them to a lesser extend, non-college Hispanics.

Just read that and was going to post it. Her spokesperson says it was a mixup of words and she was trying to say right to life. If so well I would say it's a Freudian slip.

From the Guardian article

Her campaign noted that she is the grandmother of several non-white grandchildren, including one with Down syndrome.

The freshman congresswoman, who was among those who voted to overturn the results of the 2020 election, has previously come under criticism for quoting Adolf Hitler.

Hitler was right on one thing. He said, ‘Whoever has the youth has the future,’” Miller said in a speech last year, according to video posted by WCIA-TV. She later apologized after Democrats in Illinois called for her resignation.

I do believe it was a mix up of words or at worst a Freudian slip. She’s clearly struggling with words in that moment

But her Hitler comments were not a mistake. Her being in any form of office is tho

Just read that and was going to post it. Her spokesperson says it was a mixup of words and she was trying to say right to life. If so well I would say it's a Freudian slip.

From the Guardian article

Her campaign noted that she is the grandmother of several non-white grandchildren, including one with Down syndrome.

The freshman congresswoman, who was among those who voted to overturn the results of the 2020 election, has previously come under criticism for quoting Adolf Hitler.

Hitler was right on one thing. He said, ‘Whoever has the youth has the future,’” Miller said in a speech last year, according to video posted by WCIA-TV. She later apologized after Democrats in Illinois called for her resignation.

I read about the supposed misread of the statement as well.
Find it hard to imagine that the words "The right to" written on a piece of paper would come out as "white" if you misread it.
Had she said "the white to life", I'd believe it, but where did the other 2 words go?

Maybe I’m giving her too much benefit, but she sounded nervous. And public speaking is hard work and never know how the words will come out

Of course she could have slipped and said exactly what she was thinking. The subconscious intentions sneaking their way up

Nerves will rattle some deep beliefs to the surface

The scariest part of it all, the cheering for what she said

Find it hard to imagine that the words "The right to" written on a piece of paper would come out as "white" if you misread it.
Had she said "the white to life", I'd believe it, but where did the other 2 words go?

I agree, and when you read about the context of her and other things she has said...well it's hardly unfair to say it was a subconscious Freudian slip.

And yes, seemingly lost in it all is the crowd cheering. And of course Trump not even reacting or saying anything.

Chicago Tribune

U.S. Rep. Mary Miller’s ‘white life’ comment latest in a string of questionable comments
By Rick Pearson and Jeremy Gorner

Jun 26, 2022

MENDON, Ill. — When freshman U.S. Rep. Mary Miller took to a county fair stage Saturday night to thank former President Donald Trump for appointing conservative justices who led the U.S. Supreme Court’s reversal of Roe v. Wade, she called it a “historic victory for white life.”

Miller, who has Trump’s endorsement in challenging five-term Republican U.S. Rep. Rodney Davis in Tuesday’s primary, did not elaborate on the “white life” comment she made on stage. Later, a campaign aide said she meant to say “right to life,” but misspoke.

Regardless of intent, it was another political miscue for the controversy-plagued Miller, who was born and raised in suburban Naperville and now lives in downstate Oakland in east-central Illinois.

Just days after taking office in January 2021, Miller was facing calls for her resignation after she cited Adolf Hitler in a speech to a conservative women’s group in referring to the political indoctrination of youths.

“Each generation has the responsibility to teach and train the next generation. You know, if we win a few elections, we’re still going to be losing unless we win the hearts and minds of our children. This is the battle. Hitler was right on one thing. He said, whoever has the youth has the future,” she said.

Miller eventually apologized and said she regretted using the reference to the mastermind of the Nazi Holocaust while she also blamed others for “intentionally trying to twist my words.”

More recently, Miller, a member of the Second Amendment Caucus opposed to gun regulation, had an explanation for what she and the group think is the cause of mass shootings following the May 24 killings of 19 children and two teachers in Uvalde, Texas.

“We cannot let those who are trying to destroy our society’s central pillars of faith, family and freedom succeed,” she said of renewed efforts for gun regulations.

“Young men need fathers at home. So do our daughters. Our country must be guided by our Judeo-Christian faith,” she said. “The Second Amendment Caucus will continue to fight to defend our Second Amendment rights and we will continue to speak out about what really ails our country. We need to go back to God.”

On June 11, when thousands marched in rallies across the nation against gun violence, Miller posted on Twitter that she had spent the day visiting gun shops in her district and criticized her opponent for supporting so-called “red flag laws” that allow a gun to be taken from someone if they present a danger to themselves or others after a due process procedure.

Miller has not spoken out against Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. She voted against a $40 billion aid package to Ukraine, saying, “We’re not taking care of the immediate needs, the things that Americans care about, like funding our EMT or our police or our schools.”

Miller also blasted House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Democrats for failing to vote on a Senate-passed plan to increase security for U.S. Supreme Court justices. But when Democrats put it up for a vote and it overwhelmingly passed, Miller missed the vote while she was campaigning back in her district.

On Saturday night, speaking before Trump at a rally at the Adams County Fairgrounds outside Quincy, Miller said, “The news media calls us names. Big Tech censors us. The global elites are determined to destroy our way of life, including the family farm. We will not let them destroy us.”

Miller operates a family farming operation with her husband, state Rep. Chris Miller. It has received more than $1 million in federal farm subsidies, records show.

“We are Americans. This is our beautiful country. And we will never surrender to the Marxists in Washington,” Miller said. “We are the Christians who put our faith in God, not in the government.”

Miller is also the subject of a House Ethics Committee complaint for using House floor footage for political purposes, in violation of congressional rules. A Miller campaign ad critical of Davis, who is from Taylorville, with former President Barack Obama following a State of the Union address. Responding to the complaint, Miller accused Davis of trying to “beg one of Nancy Pelosi’s House committees” to block conservatives from seeing the footage.

Miller also has repeatedly criticized Davis for supporting the investigation into Trump’s role in the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. Davis did support an independent, 9/11-style commission to look into the insurrection, but it never passed the Senate. He voted against the measure creating the current House select committee investigation. Miller didn’t vote.

One wonders about the overlap between the “adoption not abortion!” crowd and the “children need a mother and a father only” crowd.

Seems keeping Obergefell intact is in our pro-life interests, since we’re sure to soon have a domestic oversupply of infants (which will be most pleasing to Judge Amy).

There are college educated people who support
Authoritarianism, so yeah

Heh.

Could be nerves but with her Hitler comments I strongly lean towards Freudian slip.
Of course a lot of that crowd cheered. Surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom