US Politics XXXV: My Insurrection Lasted More Than 4 Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhoh

Leaders of the Jan. 6 select committee say the time has come to interview Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, about her connections to Donald Trump’s attempts to overturn the election.

Panel Chair Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) and Vice Chair Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) agreed Thursday that the committee needed to delve into Thomas’ role. Thompson’s comments and Cheney’s agreement — confirmed to POLITICO by an aide — coincided with news reports suggesting Thomas had been in touch with at least one key architect of Trump’s bid to cling to power: Attorney John Eastman.

Andrew Giuliani is running for Governor? Good God what a joke?

Witch hunt!!!!!

NBC News

Rudy Giuliani was asked about video testimony played during Thursday's hearing in which Trump White House lawyer Eric Herschmann said that the former New York City mayor acknowledged that Pence didn't have the authority to block certification of the 2020 election.

"I shouldn’t really talk about that. The set of rules that I had with the committee was that my answer and question would be confidential. Now, the committee leaked because the committee is an irresponsible group," Giuliani said to a reporter in Binghamton, N.Y., at a campaign event for his son, Andrew Giuliani, who is running for governor.

Giuliani repeatedly refused to address Herschmann's comments, lashing out at the Jan. 6. committee instead.

"I’m going to tell you that the committee is a witch hunt. I’m going to tell you that the committee is an extension of Russian collusion, might as well be Russian collusion, too," he said. "I was telling the truth, the president was telling the truth, you don’t think they’re lying now? What, they changed it all of a sudden?"

we know how the movie ends when fascistic politicians fabricate an issue in order to scapegoat a minority via incendiary language designed to get a rise out of the bigots who support them.

calling us groomers and pedophiles makes us much easier to murder.

The surge in right-wing hate-mongering against LGBTQ people is spilling into violence, with high-profile attacks this month casting fear over Pride celebrations throughout the country.

Extremism researchers have long warned of an escalating risk as hard-right Republicans and militant groups portray LGBTQ people as “groomers” targeting children, along with other baseless smears. Now, provocateurs are acting on those messages in what President Biden last month called “rising hate and violence” targeting LGBTQ communities.

The attacks have intensified this month during the first big Pride events since pandemic restrictions were lifted, most notably with the white nationalist Patriot Front’s foiled attempt to disrupt a celebration in northern Idaho.

In recent days, right-wing politicians and preachers have openly called for killing LGBTQ people. On a conservative talk show, Mark Burns, a Donald Trump-allied congressional candidate from South Carolina, called “LGBT, transgender grooming” a national security threat and proposed using treason laws as the basis for “executing” parents and teaches who advocate for LGBTQ rights. In Texas last Sunday, a pastor railed against Pride month and said LGBTQ people “should be lined up against the wall and shot in the back of the head.”

A study released Thursday signals these are not isolated incidents. Anti-LGBTQ activity including demonstrations and attacks increased more than four times from 2020 to 2021, from 15 incidents to 61, according to the global nonprofit conflict-monitoring group known as ACLED. As of early June, ACLED counted 33 anti-LGBTQ incidents so far this year, indicating an even bleaker 2022.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/06/17/lgbtq-pride-violence/

Ashley B says your joke falls flat.

Nobody of the five other people in here thought it was funny, darn.

But one person did scoff at the reality of the statement! You know, because she’s so hot. If she wasn’t his daughter, he’s be dating her. Because she’s got the best body. And she’s voluptuous. And she’s a piece of ass.

18 cents a gallon won't be a noticeable enough difference to make people feel better.
Need to see things drop back below 4 bucks a gallon at least before that happens.

https://twitter.com/mediaite/status/1538240381933977603?s=21&t=30ziAGqEzRjpp_p2YBf_DA

I don’t wish violence on anyone.

These GQP have been winking and dog whistling for so long that they don’t realize these crazies will turn on you
giphy.gif

Obviously you don't want to see anyone get hurt (or worse) - but they brought this on themselves. Honestly.

Let the right tear themselves apart. If it gets bad enough maaaaaybe we'll get just enough republicans to come check to the real world. It may not help policy issues, but it may help issue such as, ya know, holding criminal presidents accountable.

Here are the worst-run cities in America: report
Washington, D.C., San Francisco, New York, Chattanooga and Cleveland held the top five spots.
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...e-are-the-worst-run-cities-in-america-report/

Experts interviewed by Wallet Hub identified the most important issues they believe cities are currently facing, including rising crime.

“The crime wave is clearly an important issue in many cities. The ability of city governments to provide adequate services to residents is an important issue due to declining revenues. This can be alleviated by state/federal assistance, but that is only a short-term solution,” said Gary L. Rose, a government professor at Sacred Heart University.

“Underfunded pension obligations continue to be an important issue in many cities. The strained relationship between police and persons of color within the cities is an important issue,” Rose said.

Baltimore, Birmingham, St. Louis, Detroit and Memphis have the highest rate of violent crime, according to the analysis.

There's also a link in the story for best-managed cities. Good things are going on, too :hi5:

(edit:spelling)

Last edited:
Including New York in that conversation is a joke.

It is. It’s just a way of pointing fingers at blue citizens, ignoring the blue-cities-in-red-states issue, which are by far the most violent places in American, not New York or San Francisco or even (gasp) Chicago. On a state level, red states are much more violent than blue states. Focusing only on cities is wildly misleading, and ignores growing rural violence that’s a result of drugs and the fact that people walk around heavily armed. More guns, more gun deaths.

It seems rural, red state gun worship has consequences in curries like Memphis or St Louis, but given the histories of such places, and who lives where, it’s not like red voters care beyond blaming mayors who have to deal with R governors and state legislatures.

By all measures, you are better off in a blue state than a red state. I split my time between two cities that have enormous unhoused populations and exorbitant costs of living. But one of the reasons why there’s such a large population, aside from temperate weather that makes an outdoors existence possible (if not even desirable for some) is that there are real services for the unhoused in these cities.

This creates another set of problems. But I’d rather people get food and help rather than be left to die in states that offer nothing.

More than anything though, New York is the hardest city to run because of how large it is. It’s basically a country. Parts of it are ran phenomenally. Other parts not so much. But the issues it faces and successes it has are not comparable to even other big cities.

More than anything though, New York is the hardest city to run because of how large it is. It’s basically a country. Parts of it are ran phenomenally. Other parts not so much. But the issues it faces and successes it has are not comparable to even other big cities.

This also applies in many ways to LA and Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom