US Politics XXXV: My Insurrection Lasted More Than 4 Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
because right now, today, the democrats are about to get slaughtered in november. they do not have the standing to tell anyone to fuck off because inflation is currently out of control and it's impacting Americans on a daily basis.

cocaine mitch knows this - so he floats out the "i'm willing to listen" line knowing that biden has no real options here.

they NEED to figure out the inflation issue - the gas issue - or it's over. even more than the covid issue - which most americans have moved on from.

This. The gas price issue alone might not be Biden's doing, but if this keeps getting worse, then it's an easy story for the GOP to say "4 more years of that"? And not even from a reelection standpoint. People are going to start calling into work because they can't afford the drive. It's getting way out of control.

The majority of Americans only pay attention to politics when it impacts their daily lives. You'd wish that they paid attention to the ongoing attempt by the Republicans to destroy democracy, but they don't. We do. The majority does not.

They do, however, pay attention to how much money it takes them to fill their tank. They do pay attention to how hard it is to find baby formula. They do pay attention to the fact that their paycheck doesn't go as far as it used to.

I pay attention to all this shit and not just the day to day stuff, so sure - I could never bring myself to vote for a Republican in this current atmosphere. No chance. Even someone like Larry Hogan, who had consistently been anti Trump? Sorry, can't do it.

But I have a few friends who were anti Trump - who voted for Youngkin specifically over the school issue. And no, not CRT - the delay in getting schools open and back to normal. It was a deal breaker for them with the democratic leadership - because it impacted their day to day lives. I wish they'd think of the damage that a Republican governor could do in a potential swing state in 2024 - but, again - most Americans don't follow this shit.

As always - it's the economy, stupid. They need to fix this or they can kiss the majority goodbye, and likely kiss 2024 goodbye as well. They can't solve any other issues if they aren't in power. They can't make real change without getting MORE seats. There's ZERO chance of getting more seats unless the day to day pain at the pump and at the grocery store is lifted and lifted soon.

The majority of Americans only pay attention to politics when it impacts their daily lives. You'd wish that they paid attention to the ongoing attempt by the Republicans to destroy democracy, but they don't. We do. The majority does not.

They do, however, pay attention to how much money it takes them to fill their tank. They do pay attention to how hard it is to find baby formula. They do pay attention to the fact that their paycheck doesn't go as far as it used to.

I pay attention to all this shit and not just the day to day stuff, so sure - I could never bring myself to vote for a Republican in this current atmosphere. No chance. Even someone like Larry Hogan, who had consistently been anti Trump? Sorry, can't do it.

But I have a few friends who were anti Trump - who voted for Youngkin specifically over the school issue. And no, not CRT - the delay in getting schools open and back to normal. It was a deal breaker for them with the democratic leadership - because it impacted their day to day lives. I wish they'd think of the damage that a Republican governor could do in a potential swing state in 2024 - but, again - most Americans don't follow this shit.

As always - it's the economy, stupid. They need to fix this or they can kiss the majority goodbye, and likely kiss 2024 goodbye as well. They can't solve any other issues if they aren't in power. They can't make real change without getting MORE seats. There's ZERO chance of getting more seats unless the day to day pain at the pump and at the grocery store is lifted and lifted soon.

All of this. And it's too bad that the Republicans are so batshit crazy now because if it were 15-20 years ago, I'd just be like "oh well maybe the GOP will actually fix some of this better than the Dems could" but they're so dangerous now.

15-20 years ago and the GOP platform was still

Guns
God
War
Tax cuts
Privatize schools

They just weren’t so nutso in the open. They did a master class of building their platform at the lowest levels where major media never pays attention.

Now the kooks have made it to Washington and any chance of a return to some form of decency is gone for long time.

Dems need to figure shit out AND message better. Fetterman won his primary by following the simple platform of keep it simple, stupid.

No more Defund talk. Find the simplest way to get your point across.

Hell, for the right price Trump would probably be willing to work for DNC messaging. The dude struck messaging gold with MAGA

https://www.thenation.com/article/p...henation&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

“Meanwhile, our side is squabbling about whether Biden should have said he thinks the dastardly McConnell is willing to make a gun safety reform deal in the wake of the Uvalde massacre (he isn’t), if the president should forgive at least $50,000 in student debt (he should), and whether Biden’s failures on those and other fronts mean people shouldn’t vote for him if he runs in 2024 (oh, hell no). Can we just establish voting as a baseline of civic duty here? The other side is recruiting zealots to be election officials to subvert democracy, and we can’t even convince people to vote? We are going to lose this war for sure if that happens.”

“I get people’s frustration, though. Most of my own, to be honest, is also with Democratic leaders, including Biden, who don’t seem to understand what they’re up against: a fanatical, well-funded, potentially violent plot to impose a dark, anti-democratic vision of America. Maybe they get it—it’s pretty damn obvious, and they lived through the January 6 insurrection—but if so, they don’t seem to be rising to meet the challenge.”

the assassination attempt on reagan led to the brady bill.

a school shooting in california led to the assault weapons ban.

look at any high profile building in the US and you can see the impacts of oklahoma city. it also led to white nationalist militias going back underground.

9/11 led to all sorts of action - some good, some bad. but action was taken, it was immediate, and at the time it was mostly bi-partisan.

sandy hook led to... nothing. and now it's happened again.

January 6 has thus far led to... nothing.

this doesn't bode well for our future.

Last edited:
I want to say that Ohio has turned into a real cesspool over the past 5-10 years but it wasn't exactly a model of ambition and competency before.

Will the PE teacher be allowed to initiate these genital searches with the piece he has stored in his desk?

After 100 days of war, Russia may be in Ukraine to stay
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-06-03/russia-occupy-ukraine-after-100-days-war

When Russian President Vladimir Putin sent troops into Ukraine in late February, he vowed that Russia would not occupy its neighbor. But as the invasion reached its 100th day on Friday, Russia seems increasingly unlikely to relinquish the territory it has taken in the war.

The ruble is now an official currency in the southern Kherson region, alongside the Ukrainian hryvnia. Residents there and in Russian-controlled parts of the Zaporizhzhia region are being offered Russian passports. The Kremlin-installed administrations in both regions have discussed plans to become part of Russia.

The Moscow-backed leaders of separatist areas in eastern Ukraine’s Donbas region, which is mostly Russian-speaking, have shared similar intentions. Putin recognized the separatists’ self-proclaimed republics as independent states two days before launching the invasion. Fighting has intensified in Ukraine’s east as Russia seeks to “liberate” all of the Donbas.

The Kremlin has largely kept mum about its plans for the cities, towns and villages it has bombarded with missiles, encircled and finally captured.

.....Annexing more land from Ukraine was never the main goal of the invasion, but Russia is unlikely to let go of its military gains, according to political analysts.

“Of course [Russia] intends to stay,” said Andrei Kolesnikov, senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. From Russia’s perspective, he added, “it’s a pity to give away what has been occupied, even if it was not part of the original plan.”

How should a potential large food shortage be addressed with the ongoing war still looking like a bloody stalemate?
Another reason to put on a full-court press for a deal between Ukraine and Russia. And time to do it publicly.

Russia is to blame here. To try and force Ukraine to give up more of its country as means to give in to Russian blackmail is wrong and we’ll only be in a worse situation years from now

Western Europe (France, Germany, and Italy) need to stop worrying about Putin saving face plus appearing like they are peacekeepers and give Ukraine what it needs.

Either Ukraine ends this war with our help, or all of Europe is in war within a decade

They’re not worried about Putin saving face for any other reason than a Russian loss implying non-strategic nuclear weapons would be fired.

Guess i don’t follow their logic then. Why even try to stop Russia if they think a loss will cause nuclear retaliation? Wouldn’t that be on the table if Russia decided to invade other countries ?

It’s very obvious what he’s doing, and while i don’t want any nukes flying i just don’t see how we aren’t in this position again if we force Ukraine to concede any of its country. They did this in 2014 and here we are

https://twitter.com/biz_ukraine_mag/status/1533382115336790016?s=21&t=j-O2MEV2xpRLjikLSoqjgw

Guess i don’t follow their logic then. Why even try to stop Russia if they think a loss will cause nuclear retaliation? Wouldn’t that be on the table if Russia decided to invade other countries ?

Causing Russia to not-win is one thing. Causing Russia to have spent every resource and be at threat of an ultimatum victory is another thing. So some European leaders want to have Ukraine stand its ground and then return to conversation and restore the power balance from before. To me, that’s okay. These countries have not like… appeased Putin in any way. I don’t think Ukraine should give up a single inch of territory, for the record. But I also realize that at some point, if Russians don’t deal with Putin, we will have to allow him back into the fold to have a functioning Earth.

After 100 days of war, Russia may be in Ukraine to stay
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-06-03/russia-occupy-ukraine-after-100-days-war

When Russian President Vladimir Putin sent troops into Ukraine in late February, he vowed that Russia would not occupy its neighbor. But as the invasion reached its 100th day on Friday, Russia seems increasingly unlikely to relinquish the territory it has taken in the war.

The ruble is now an official currency in the southern Kherson region, alongside the Ukrainian hryvnia. Residents there and in Russian-controlled parts of the Zaporizhzhia region are being offered Russian passports. The Kremlin-installed administrations in both regions have discussed plans to become part of Russia.

The Moscow-backed leaders of separatist areas in eastern Ukraine’s Donbas region, which is mostly Russian-speaking, have shared similar intentions. Putin recognized the separatists’ self-proclaimed republics as independent states two days before launching the invasion. Fighting has intensified in Ukraine’s east as Russia seeks to “liberate” all of the Donbas.

The Kremlin has largely kept mum about its plans for the cities, towns and villages it has bombarded with missiles, encircled and finally captured.

.....Annexing more land from Ukraine was never the main goal of the invasion, but Russia is unlikely to let go of its military gains, according to political analysts.

“Of course [Russia] intends to stay,” said Andrei Kolesnikov, senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. From Russia’s perspective, he added, “it’s a pity to give away what has been occupied, even if it was not part of the original plan.”

How should a potential large food shortage be addressed with the ongoing war still looking like a bloody stalemate?
Another reason to put on a full-court press for a deal between Ukraine and Russia. And time to do it publicly.

The parts of the article you quote completely echo the usual and perspectives that western European and American observers and experts continue to make. They are in stark contrast to analyses from eastern European experts.

I also find it quite embarrassing when articles in western media still just repeat what's coming out of Moscow or speculate about the goals of the invasion based on what was said immediately prior or since the invasion (which is all so inconsistent that that alone should already completely disqualify it), when the real ambitions of Putin's regime had already been laid out in much more detail not only in writing (e.g. several "essays" written by Putin himself over the last 15 years or so), but also in action.

To your points, the war is not a stalemate in any way, shape or form. There's a lot of dynamic in the battles, as just proven today in Severodonetsk, where Ukrainian forces seem to have tricked the Russian forces into stretching beyond the point where they can logistically support themselves and they are now retaking the territories. Despite some meager successes by Russians (which again seem to be only short-lived), Ukraine is still defending its territory quite successfully, is able to go on the offensive in other areas, and is still expecting lots of weaponry that can further turn the tide. They have a realistic chance of getting Russia off its territory entirely, i.e. including all of Donetsk and Crimea.

Ukraine is under no obligation to enter into any deal for anyone else's sake. Food shortages must be addressed by making demands of the aggressor, Russia. Not of Ukraine. And not of "both sides". Russia must be called on a daily basis to withdraw from Ukraine (completely), and ensure that cargo ships can safely leave the port of Odesa and sail out of the Black Sea. Knowing that this is not going to happen, the proper steps would therefore also be to create a task force within the World Food Programme that is to stockpile wheat and other essential food commodities and coordinate the distribution of these.

If you ask anyone east of Germany whether they believe Ukraine entering into such a deal would mean peace and calm, they will tell you that on the contrary, all it means is for them to look to a future of fear. Especially if their country is not a NATO member, but even if they are. No one is under any illusion, if the Russian forces aren't decisively stopped here, their future is in jeopardy.

Parents say baby formula shortage is still hurting families
Despite efforts to ease the crisis, parents say they haven't seen much change.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Family/parents-baby-formula-shortage-hurting-families/story?id=85212333

Conditions have become dire enough over the past several months that parents have flocked to Facebook groups and desperately reached out for help finding formula as store shelves remain bare.

Tracking firm Datasembly has been recording the lack of formula products in more than 130,000 stores nationally. According to data obtained by ABC News, nine states across the U.S., including California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, Rhode Island, and Tennessee have topped 90% out-of-stock rates, with Arizona hitting a 94% out-of-stock rate during the week of May 22-29.

The national average out-of-stock rate has climbed to over 73%. Twenty-nine states, along with Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, have seen over 75% of baby formulas out of stock.

there's always a chance that the McConnell pulls the carpet away at the last minute - but it does look like there's a legitimate chance to get something done on guns here - largely because the people behind the money are speaking up.

and already we're hearing from those on the left that it's not enough.

well no shit.

OF COURSE it's not enough.

but it's something. don't fucking kill it just because it doesn't get everything you want. get it done. make some progress. DO SOMETHING.

then, once it's done? then you can start looking for more.

if you want to pass sweeping bills that revolutionize the country? great - go win some more seats and then go nuts.

until then - just fucking DO SOMETHING.

stop fucking complaining about it not being enough, like you did with build back better. you're NEVER getting that without more seats, make some incremental progress. get some small wins. stop letting perfect be the enemy of good.

Last edited:
I like that line. Stop letting perfect be the enemy of good.

You’re right, but I caution you from equally vilifying the people you’re saying vilify “good.” We need dialogue and the ability to respond together.

What laws are looking like they'll be added or modified?

I see some GQP Senators are not stating raising the age limit for Assault Rifles is off the table.

Red Flag Laws?
Stronger Background Checks?
Increase in mental health spending?

My assumption is the GQP will continue to stall and their only offer will be:
Arm the teachers
Arm the students
One Door

But I agree, if the GQP only want Red Flag and some other smaller changes, Democrats should go with it just to show they can pass SOMETHING. You eliminate the counter attack from them saying "We offered real change, Democrats said no cause they want to take all your guns"

I like that line. Stop letting perfect be the enemy of good.

You’re right, but I caution you from equally vilifying the people you’re saying vilify “good.” We need dialogue and the ability to respond together.

i have no issues with dialogue - but it needs to be dialogue, not dictation. i have no issues with people who feel strongly about their stance and fight to try and move the country in that direction.

i do have a major issue with people/groups/factions who purposefully hold up incremental change because "it's not good enough," or who will kill a vote on a bill that doesn't include everything they want.

I understand people can have differing views that are dumb views and they’re not dumb people. But that type of comment sort of makes his brain look tiny - how does someone like that manage to find a job in the NFL, even after really not being all that successful for over two decades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom