US Politics XXXV: My Insurrection Lasted More Than 4 Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what DeSantis wants...

I think any GQP who takes power will be a disaster for the country and the world, they always are.

Still love you schnookums [emoji8]

36500281-7686-4c2d-adb3-4f871df152b2_text.gif

Ngl they do say that about a lot of things and this is a worthless discussion since we aren’t allowed to know what it is.
But also I don’t put it past agent orange to be a total and complete dumbass with handling classified information. Same guy who asked NASA if they could kill Covid but gassing peoples lungs the way they do with the spacecraft.

It’s time to drop the hammer on him. Anyone else and they’d be standing trial right now

DOJ and FBI have given Trump every opportunity to save face for stealing documents.

Instead he mocks them, puts their lives in danger, and cause more erosion of trust within our institutions.

It’s time to drop the hammer on him. Anyone else and they’d be standing trial right now

DOJ and FBI have given Trump every opportunity to save face for stealing documents.

Instead he mocks them, puts their lives in danger, and cause more erosion of trust within our institutions.

I'm interested to see if they're going to indict him for just that or if they're waiting to arrest him for stealing documents and election interference all at once.

Relief! Much needed relief. Hats off to Biden for sticking to his word, now go end interest-based federal loans and instead make them wage garnishing subsidies.

I was in a hipster coffee shop today when a group of millennials walked in and started ordering large, fancy lattes. They all paid in cash, swiping bills from a huge wad they all held in their hands. They sat down together and talked about all the avocados they were going to buy afterwards. “We got the $10,000,” they said, “we got to have the avocados.”

Fun watching MSNBC completely tearing the debt forgiveness apart. They sound like McConnell and Marjory Taylor Green for Christs sake.

They keep saying, What do you say to people who don’t have college degrees or paid for college already that they are now footing the bill for these other people?

What?! They make it sound like they’re going to send out a bill to every American. We all pay taxes for tons of shit that we don’t directly use or want. Nobody on any of these shows has pointed that simple fact out.

Fun watching MSNBC completely tearing the debt forgiveness apart. They sound like McConnell and Marjory Taylor Green for Christs sake.

They keep saying, What do you say to people who don’t have college degrees or paid for college already that they are now footing the bill for these other people?

What?! They make it sound like they’re going to send out a bill to every American. We all pay taxes for tons of shit that we don’t directly use or want. Nobody on any of these shows has pointed that simple fact out.

Biden could send out a check to reimburse medical bills for people who had COVID and you'd have people screaming "No fair! I never had Covid!"

Did veterans scream when the draft was abolished ?

It’s this media discourse that really saddens me more than anything. How it all has to come back to the self, what are you doing for MEEEE

Someone else’s suffering is reduced, fuck them!! I pulled through my own so they need to as well! In fact they need to suffer worse so i can feel gratitude

This was a good thing that happened. It wasn’t and isn’t perfect, but neither is trying to govern a society.

Lol as someone who didn’t qualify for COVID $$ relief despite being massively in debt and paycheck to paycheck at the time and pumping over $1000/month into federal student loans while everyone and their mother got a free stack of cash either through their personal or business income, fuck any hater who has shit to say.

Fact: I’ve paid more money in student loan debt than 99% of boomers even when factoring in inflation. Also fact: my pay as a function of inflation is less than said boomer when they graduated with their debts. So pardon me if I only end up paying $30,000 of my $55,000 borrowed. It’s still fucking more than most older people have ever paid.

And if anyone has shit to say about whether or not it makes a difference, well, as someone who just bought his first home at 30, I was about to revert my lifestyle into hermitness and back to being paycheck to paycheck waiting for tax season to keep me afloat. Now I have money for said new home… I will literally be returning any $$ right back into the economy. My story isn’t anecdotal. Numbers support that my situation is like most people my age (and most people my age aren’t willing to potentially bankrupt themselves by buying a home if they do have the down payment).

Yeah, I for one am totally getting screwed because I just paid off the last 8000 of my debt a couple months ago with part of my home equity loan, so pretty much like throwing 8 grand down the toilet. But I don't begrudge the people that will get relief.

I do think they could have done it differently. I think it should have been a hybrid of maybe wiping out 5 grand of debt, and then also boosting up Pell and other grants to help those going into college now and in the future. Wiping out 10 grand is great, but then what? It does set up a quandry moving forward. Unless they can work on a way to at least subsidize state schools so that so much debt won't have to be accrued.

They also keep talking about how it will drive up inflation again. I don't know. This is forgiving debt, not sending out checks. I think that most people getting help are going to have plenty of bills and things that the couple hundred bucks a month of savings can go to.

It just pisses me off that this is what they are saying on MSNBC for fuck's sake. The latest is, "Did the Democrats just kill their momentum that they had?!?!?!?!"
Liberals never learn man. This is like 2016. ALL the shit with Trump going on and they would always have to say - But Hillary was rude to a person at a town hall, so really again, we are talking about the lesser of two evils here. I can see why voters are having such a hard time deciding.

Republicans could be burning piles of puppies and Fox News would say, well it is keeping people warm on these chilly fall evenings. And it's really kind of pretty with the flames and everything.

The “then what” is the bottom line. $10k forgiveness is a waste if you just like… don’t focus on the problem.

I suspect Biden’s moratorium till December will inevitably be extended. The real answer to “then what” is to end profitability of government student loans to an initially subsidizable amount via the LN7 Plan:

Let’s just for the sake of argument say $50k is your maximum subsidized borrows Le amount. Borrowers would not have to “make payments” on these loans. They would be garnished from your wages pre tax and lower your taxable income, and the garnished percentage can be borrower choice from a minimum of 5% to whatever you want (pre-tax incentivization for high earners to pay it off faster). If you are unemployed? No wage to garnish. Government incentivization to ensure employment of all graduates who borrowed on their dime. This also incentivizes government to fight the rising costs of education, since its out of control cost is now directly tied to taxpayer dime.

I rest my case.

I think it was Hilary Clinton who had the best plan I've seen. Make two years of community college free or damn near free. 18 is far too young to be making financial decisions that will stick around for decades. Let people have a few years of low-stakes community college (or trade school) to get their bearings before they make significant financial investments in their degree or certification paths. It's criminal to allow young people to accrue $50k or more in debt for entry classes on degrees paths they might not even end up enjoying or pursuing in any meaningful way.

This would require some cultural work in de-stigmatizing community college, and especially in tempering the idea that a traditional college experience is some kind of social necessity in "finding yourself" or "growing up." I'm incredibly skeptical of the idea that pissing around in a dorm for a few years is some kind of pivotal entry point into young adulthood.

The “then what” is the bottom line. $10k forgiveness is a waste if you just like… don’t focus on the problem.

I suspect Biden’s moratorium till December will inevitably be extended. The real answer to “then what” is to end profitability of government student loans to an initially subsidizable amount via the LN7 Plan:

Let’s just for the sake of argument say $50k is your maximum subsidized borrows Le amount. Borrowers would not have to “make payments” on these loans. They would be garnished from your wages pre tax and lower your taxable income, and the garnished percentage can be borrower choice from a minimum of 5% to whatever you want (pre-tax incentivization for high earners to pay it off faster). If you are unemployed? No wage to garnish. Government incentivization to ensure employment of all graduates who borrowed on their dime. This also incentivizes government to fight the rising costs of education, since its out of control cost is now directly tied to taxpayer dime.

I rest my case.

exactly. There are many better ways to go about this. Just like the Covid payments which were just really stupidly distributed in my opinion. It ALL should have been larger unemployment benefits. Why are they sending 2 or 3 thousand bucks out to people that still have their jobs. Nothing changed for them. The million or so people that lost their jobs should have had a higher boost to their unemployment, because they actually needed it.
It would have not been nearly the driver of inflation that direct payments out to everyone who was still working was.

As for the loan forgiveness. I think what would have been another better idea, would have been to forgive around 5000, but then use the rest of the money to make all Community Colleges free (cause lets be honest, the first two years of school are pretty much bullshit general classes) and/or making the first two years of state schools free.

No one could argue with that because it would be helping both past and future students.

I rest my case as well. :)

I think it was Hilary Clinton who had the best plan I've seen. Make two years of community college free or damn near free. 18 is far too young to be making financial decisions that will stick around for decades. Let people have a few years of low-stakes community college (or trade school) to get their bearings before they make significant financial investments in their degree or certification paths. It's criminal to allow young people to accrue $50k or more in debt for entry classes on degrees paths they might not even end up enjoying or pursuing in any meaningful way.

This would require some cultural work in de-stigmatizing community college, and especially in tempering the idea that a traditional college experience is some kind of social necessity in "finding yourself" or "growing up." I'm incredibly skeptical of the idea that pissing around in a dorm for a few years is some kind of pivotal entry point into young adulthood.

You beat me to it. Great minds!

MSNBC realizes they the best way to keep their viewers engaged is through fear. Since the GOP is out of power, that fear is best generated by hand wringing about losing power.

I finished undergrad without any debt because I am a lucky person. I also never went to grad school. My husband graduated from a state school with a ton of debt and we didn’t pay it off until 2 years ago (and even still, we wouldn’t have qualified for this program).

I begrudge no one anything. Although I’m still upset about how much I had to personally fund the Iraq War because that’s how taxes work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom