US Politics XXXV: My Insurrection Lasted More Than 4 Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to comment on how I really don’t care what the gas prices are since I barely drive my car, but in fairness we do live in a society that has less fortunate people barely able to get any car much less their choice of electrics or better public transportation.

This all goes back to our dysfunctional government of course.

Thank you for this. The suggestion that it's a "choice" to be subjected to high gas prices is incredibly disingenuous. As though most households have $25k laying around for a hybrid car.

Thank you for this. The suggestion that it's a "choice" to be subjected to high gas prices is incredibly disingenuous. As though most households have $25k laying around for a hybrid car.

To even further clarify, what I’m saying is that folks buying gas guzzlers and then voting on gas prices as the most important issue aren’t actually all that concerned about the price of gas.

Because if it was their most important issue, they’d buy different cars.

https://twitter.com/leftofcentermi/status/1527390618984402944?s=21&t=iq_ZCvO5ozDm9FYjgq6aFQ

These people vote in every election. The liberal / left side gets upset when 100% of their policy ideas are not enacted into law, so they give up or protest vote

The Right had understood the long game. Keep showing up to the polls. Take over at the local, state, and judicial.

It took them 35-40 years but they got what they wanted with overturning Roe.

To think they will stop there is insane. Would this video seem out of place if it was in Arabic? These people are a different side of the coin from Taliban, and the militias to ISIS/AQ

I think Biden has done an OK job overall. I don’t like that he still treats politics like it’s 1980-1990. He’s handled a potential World War with class and now NATO is about to become stronger (tho all credit should go to Putin on that one).

Would i like someone more progressive and taking Jan 6th more seriously ? Yes. Would i like the executive to do more to pressure Manchin and Sienma, yes!

But come November 2022, and 2024 I’m voting straight blue. I wish i lived in a battleground state just for the purpose of voting but no thanks to that.

If people want to see more progressive ideas come to fruition, there needs to be a long term strategy to keep people engaged. Maybe someone can unlock the key to youth turnout.

But it really feels like darker days are ahead

https://twitter.com/leftofcentermi/status/1527390618984402944?s=21&t=iq_ZCvO5ozDm9FYjgq6aFQ

These people vote in every election. The liberal / left side gets upset when 100% of their policy ideas are not enacted into law, so they give up or protest vote

The Right had understood the long game. Keep showing up to the polls. Take over at the local, state, and judicial.

It took them 35-40 years but they got what they wanted with overturning Roe.

To think they will stop there is insane. Would this video seem out of place if it was in Arabic? These people are a different side of the coin from Taliban, and the militias to ISIS/AQ

I think Biden has done an OK job overall. I don’t like that he still treats politics like it’s 1980-1990. He’s handled a potential World War with class and now NATO is about to become stronger (tho all credit should go to Putin on that one).

Would i like someone more progressive and taking Jan 6th more seriously ? Yes. Would i like the executive to do more to pressure Manchin and Sienma, yes!

But come November 2022, and 2024 I’m voting straight blue. I wish i lived in a battleground state just for the purpose of voting but no thanks to that.

If people want to see more progressive ideas come to fruition, there needs to be a long term strategy to keep people engaged. Maybe someone can unlock the key to youth turnout.

But it really feels like darker days are ahead

This is very, very dark stuff.

the key to long term success is to win by any means necessary. that may mean some of your perfect ideals may have to take a back seat in favor of incremental progress. you can't put forth your full agenda without full control.

the GOP understands this. they've played the long game. they control statehouses, they control the judiciary, and they've rigged the game. they waited on their big fish until they had all of those things in place - and now they're falling one by one.

take away the inhumanity of what they're actually doing now - it's actually impressive from strictly political standpoint. they win. and for a long time they put forth a different face - a moderate face - to hook people in. i know, i was one of them. but now? they're in control and things will likely get worse for a few years before they get better.

undoing it is going to be a decades long process with ups and downs. infighting amongst the left is inevitable, but also unhelpful. the left needs a long time strategy - they need a young face and not another 80+ year old cranky white guy (that goes for moderates and progressives) - they need to update their messaging and for fucks sake they need to get their shit together.

and please stop blaming manchin and sinema. they both suck - but this isn't their fault. you knew who they were going in. imagine where we'd be if they weren't there? the republicans would control the senate if not for manchin and sinema.

you want to really get shit done? win more seats. you have your chance here in november. stop bitching about those two and go WIN. MORE. SEATS.

you want to pack the court? okay. just know that the republicans will just follow suit in 2024 if they take back the house. and if you can't hold on to the senate? you're not getting approval for any of your nominees anyways.

we're in a shit situation due to an unprecedented global disaster... which was made worse by the previous holder of the white house.

we have a war of aggression for the first time since world war 2 in europe... which was aided along by the previous holder of the white house.

we have a radical right wing supreme court that was put in place because a small fraction of voters protested by either staying home or voting for someone else because they didn't get their way, they're "all the same," and "how much damage could he do?"

and all of this falls at the feet of joe biden - who's doing an okay job, but is in over his head. hell - ANYONE would be in over their heads right now.

but fact is the majority of the electorate doesn't pay attention to politics until it's election time - but they do pay attention to gas prices and a lack of baby formula. so the democrats are currently fucked for 2022 (and probably 2024).

it's like the parents went away and the kids threw a party and trashed the place - and then everyone blamed the parents for the place being a mess.

sucks - but that's where we are.

we need to turn the focus back on the person/party who fucked shit up to begin with in hopes that it saves the small majority we have. and we damn sure better turn out the vote on a hyperlocal level in record numbers once again.

i've rambled long enough i think.

NY Times Editorial Board Sparks Fury With Suggestion Ukraine Cede Territory to Russia: ‘Really Shameful, Guys’
https://www.mediaite.com/politics/n...ede-territory-to-russia-really-shameful-guys/

The editorial notes the “messy” situation the U.S. is in with Ukraine and laments the hard choices that must be made, while slowly backing into calling for Ukraine to consider giving up some territory to Russia.

The writers argue that Biden and NATO must stand up to Vladimir Putin and show the West is “able to resist his revanchist ambitions.”

“That goal cannot shift, but in the end, it is still not in America’s best interest to plunge into an all-out war with Russia, even if a negotiated peace may require Ukraine to make some hard decisions,” the editorial continues.

“A decisive military victory for Ukraine over Russia, in which Ukraine regains all the territory Russia has seized since 2014, is not a realistic goal,” the editorial argues, the line that critics were quick to pounce on.

“Though Russia’s planning and fighting have been surprisingly sloppy, Russia remains too strong, and Mr. Putin has invested too much personal prestige in the invasion to back down,” the writers argue, noting previously in the article that Putin’s threats of using tactical nuclear weapons should be taken seriously as he becomes more desperate.

“In the end, it is the Ukrainians who must make the hard decisions: They are the ones fighting, dying and losing their homes to Russian aggression, and it is they who must decide what an end to the war might look like,” the editorial adds, concluding, “If the conflict does lead to real negotiations, it will be Ukrainian leaders who will have to make the painful territorial decisions that any compromise will demand.”

The article then, with a sense of self-awareness, defends against the accusation of appeasement:

Confronting this reality may be painful, but it is not appeasement. This is what governments are duty bound to do, not chase after an illusory “win.”

I do not believe they should cede any territory whatsoever. Inclusive of Crimea.

The annexation of Crimea was the single most destabilizing geopolitical move in the modern era. It brought us to where we are today. If Ukraine cedes territory, permits Russia to absorb resource and personnel, then there is precedence for this type of behavior from a superpower. Annexation is an archaic and draconian strategy for geopolitical problems that akin to acting like a bully. Not the world we should strive to live in.

Imagine a world where they cede territory. And then portions of Georgia. And portions of Moldova. And before you know it. And before you know it, the USSR is back. Now, would that be a problem in theory? No, not if those people actually wanted that. The EU is a republic of sorts where the people have chosen this. So is the United States. Forming your own union by force is everything you should stand against.

If people want to see more progressive ideas come to fruition, there needs to be a long term strategy to keep people engaged.

On the other hand, right now we have one party controlling the House, Senate, White House and by extension all the federal agencies. Not to mention the majority of big cities (nothing new on that front).

We're living the strategy.

Correct

There’s really no equivalent on the GQP side of a Manchin and Seinma.

Those two did help get covid relief, infrastructure, and a SC Justice thru. Aside from that they might as well be republicans.

No one on GQP side is willing to help push legislation thru

As for Ukraine, they should not nor the West allow Russia to annex more land. This puts Europe even closer to world war as Russia will not stop their.

The West has a small opening right now to drive Russia out, but countries like France are showing their weakness by trying to give Putin an off ramp and suggestion of Ukraine just give up a little more….

We’re about to see mass starvation due to Russia blocking off ports for wheat and other produce. Russia and Ukraine export a large percentage of wheat and other materials to the world. Africa will take the brunt of the pain

Gas prices could go even higher this summer ($6.40 here) and as Headache stated, people don’t vote on policy. They vote on simple measures. Gas, groceries, immigrants

Fetterman in PA crushed it because he knows how to message. He also didn’t give a fuck and would show up to events in sweatpants and basketball shorts. Rather than telling people democrats have reduced the deficit by 45.583939772%, he told people he would fix their healthcare. No real policy talk, just basics

And the fact he pulled a gun on someone in his past probably helped him

As for Ukraine, they should not nor the West allow Russia to annex more land. This puts Europe even closer to world war as Russia will not stop their.

.....We’re about to see mass starvation due to Russia blocking off ports for wheat and other produce. Russia and Ukraine export a large percentage of wheat and other materials to the world. Africa will take the brunt of the pain

The war has already been on for four months. Is food production going to increase or decrease if the war is still grinding on Fourteen months from now? Four years? I'm not suggesting there's a good answer for Ukraine, just suggesting what might be realistic given the situation and the U.S.'s role in it.

Gas prices could go even higher this summer ($6.40 here) and as Headache stated, people don’t vote on policy. They vote on simple measures. Gas, groceries, immigrants
......No real policy talk, just basics

Military plane carrying 39 tons of baby formula arrives in U.S.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baby-formula-shortage-operation-fly-formula-us-military-plane/

The flight was the first of several to provide "some incremental relief in the coming days" as the government works on a more lasting response to the shortage, Brian Deese, director of the White House National Economic Council, said Sunday.

Reese told CNN's "State of the Union" that Sunday's flight brought 15% of the specialty medical grade formula needed in the U.S., and because of various actions by the government, people should see "more formula in stores starting as early as this week."

Longer term, he said, the U.S. needs more formula providers "so that no individual company has this much control over supply chains."

A complete and utter sickness of the mind.

Kids get shot, MORE GUNS.

Must own the libs!!

We are the only nation this happens to. Others have just as fucked up people as we do (though maybe not to our scale now), yet we don't read about kids getting shot up in schools. Or grocery stores. Or movie theaters.

Yet we'll continue to elect officials to office who will not budge on this issue due to greed and their own mental illness. The thought that more guns will make us safer is delusional, and that we all need to live in fear that the next time we leave our house, we could be shot up because we won't regulate a dangerous weapon.

14 students. i'm sick. we actually let it fucking happen again to an elementary school. AGAIN.

everyone of you "pro life" fucking hypocrites can go fuck yourselves.

Same goes for their bullshit "Look how Christian I am!" posturing.

I'm seeing political ads in my area from Trumpian candidates in which they're going on about how they'll end Biden's "abortion agenda", whatever the fuck that is, while in the very same breath they're also proclaiming they'll protect people's Second Amendment rights.

Absolute madness. And they get away with this shit. Every single fucking time.

are red states ok?

(no, they aren't)

To get a snapshot of murder rates across the country from 2019 to 2020, Third Way, a think tank of centrist Democrats whose vice chairman is the former global head of equity trading for Goldman Sachs, crunched the numbers, compiling 2019 and 2020 murder data from all 50 states and large D-run and R-run cities to illustrate the point that the rise in crime is a growing menace oblivious to party preference.

For thirty-seven of the fifty states, they relied on annual crime reports released by state governments. The remaining thirteen states didn’t have 2019 or 2020 crime reports publicly available. For some, such as Mississippi, the authors were unable to find any reports online. For others, they might have been missing a 2020 report. In seven states, the public sources only provided murder per capita rates, so using the rates and census population data, they estimated the number of murders in that state.

They found that as a general rule of thumb, the murder rate is higher in Red States than in Blue States. In 2020, the 25 states voting pro-Trump averaged 8.20 homicides per 100,000 residents, while in the 25 pro-Biden states the homicide rate averaged 5.78 murders per 100,000 residents.

Another surprising takeaway: while murder rates have surged throughout the country, mid-sized cities with Republican mayors have actually fared far worse than big cities with Democratic mayors.

“Republicans seem to do a much better job of talking about stopping crime than actually stopping crime,” said Jim Kessler, Third Way’s executive VP for policy, and an author of the report, in an interview with Axios.

Take Bakersfield, a safe Republican district in California’s Central Valley and the birthplace of Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy, who has represented a broad swath of the city in Congress since 2006. Bakersfield is one of the most reliably red districts in the country’s bluest state. It has voted Republican in every election in the 21st Century. In 2020, in a state in which the number of registered Democrats is nearly double that of Republicans, Trump won the city by 10 points. So it’s a bit surprising to learn that on a per capita basis, controlling for differences in population size, the homicide rate in Bakersfield in 2020 was more than double that of Speaker Pelosi’s San Francisco.

Fresno, another Republican-led city in the Golden State often overshadowed by L.A. and S.F., has a homicide rate nearly triple that of San Francisco’s and double that of L.A.’s. Devin Nunes, former chair of the House intelligence Committee, was Fresno’s representative in Congress for the previous 19 years. He stepped down in January to take a job working for Donald Trump.

And consider Jacksonville, Florida, a city that has been governed by a Republican mayor, a Republican Governor and two Republican senators for dozens of years. Yet In 2020 it recorded 128 more murders than San Francisco did (in absolute numbers) despite the conservative Bold New City of the South having a population roughly the same size as that of the celestial-blue “City by the Bay.” Shockingly, Jacksonville’s 2020 murder rate was also three times that of New York City.

Around the country, murder rates in many Republican-controlled states and cities were well above the national average. According to Third Way’s report “The Red State Murder Problem”:

“Tulsa (19.64) and Oklahoma City (11.16) have Republican mayors in a Republican state and have murder rates that dwarf that of Los Angeles (6.74).”
In Kentucky, “Lexington’s Republican mayor saw record homicides in 2020 and 2021, with a murder rate (10.61) nearly twice that of New York City (5.94).
“Bakersfield (11.91) and Fresno (14.09) each have Republican mayors and murder rates far higher than either San Francisco (5.6) or Los Angeles (6.74).”
Of the top six states with the highest jump in murder rate from 2019 to 2020—and eight of the top ten—were dyed-in-the-wool “red” bastions like Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee.

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog...-fresno-or-bakersfield-than-san-fran-and-l-a/

I’m really lost. Why is it that other western countries don’t need the military industrial complex to sell elementary schools ballistic blankets? What are we missing?

I’m really lost. Why is it that other western countries don’t need the military industrial complex to sell elementary schools ballistic blankets? What are we missing?
They don't allow gun manufacturers to buy just enough senators to prevent something that an overwhelming majority of people want done from happening.

It's cool, though. We'll figure it out.

Lol just kidding, it's actually about to get worse once Trump's Supreme Court rules on New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen. Guns are people, you know.

Hey that gives me an idea...maybe we should arm fetuses. For their own protection, of course. A gun in the hands of a good fetus is no threat to anyone other than abortion doctors, after all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom