US Politics XXXIV: Biden Against the Manchine (Live at the Sinema)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On this subject …

For the four people still in here who know/care, Memphis and I are actually leaving DC at the end of the month.

West Coast here we come.

Enjoy the change of scenery and milder climes.

Get Kraken !??!

Nothing new under the sun.

Senate votes to extend debt ceiling through early December
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/07/politics/debt-ceiling-deal-senate-vote/index.html

We can check back again after Turkey Day.

when it's all said and done - McConnell's not an idiot. Schumer, maybe. But McConnell, as evil as he can be, knows exactly what he's doing. He was never going to let this expire - and now he has the democrats committed to a number that the republicans can run on in 2022 - because Mitch knows americans, at the end of the day, are stupid.

and in december he's going to get some other small concession from the democrats. because democrats.

Agree. Mitch might be the best politician in my lifetime as far as getting exactly what he wants. Some of it has been luck, Trump coming into power gifted him 3 SC judges, but he also blocked Garland for nearly a year prior and it paid off.

We read all these reports that the Dems have him right where they want them and they’re wrong. The Dems don’t have the unity that the GOP does.

Despite Cheney and Adam K actually standing up against Trump’s coup, they still vote to default on the debt, and any other GOP position.

The Dems have this one chance to pass legislation cause if they don’t gain seats in 2022, then i don’t see how they overcome the suppression that’s coming in 2024.

Speaking of airports, I’m awfully afraid of Palm Beach International becoming Palm Beach-Trump International. It’s ripe for it. An unnamed airport next to his presidential office in a state he calls home.

Agree. Mitch might be the best politician in my lifetime as far as getting exactly what he wants. Some of it has been luck, Trump coming into power gifted him 3 SC judges, but he also blocked Garland for nearly a year prior and it paid off.

I don’t know if this makes him a good politician not makes him shameless and ruthless and anti-American.

I don’t know if this makes him a good politician not makes him shameless and ruthless and anti-American.
He's not a good politician. He's a masterful politician.

End of the day the result is all that matters to him. He doesn't let little things like ideology and principle get in the way of victory.

It would be great if politicians like this didn't exist. But because they do, and because our system favors them? It would be great if the Democrats had a few, before it's too late.

Do you think Democrats and their voters would accept a liberal version of McConnell? Someone willing to ignore process and precedent and democracy itself in order to win?

Do you think Democrats and their voters would accept a liberal version of McConnell? Someone willing to ignore process and precedent and democracy itself in order to win?
I don't know the answer to that. My guess world be no. But they should.

We're in the midst of a civil cold war and the Democrats are worried about being polite.

I'm not saying they need to do full scorched earth, but at some point they're going to have to wake up to reality.

Take redistricting. New York should gerrymander the shit out of that state.

It's a paradox. In order to change things to the way you want, you're going to have to do some of the things you want to change.

Last edited:
Biden sees support from independents drop
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/574958-biden-sees-support-from-independents-drop

President Biden has lost support among a key bloc of voters that helped catapult him to the White House: independents.

The current gridlock on Capitol Hill coupled with the messy withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan and his handling of the ongoing crisis at the Mexican border has contributed to the lag in support from independent and more moderate voters.

Recent polls show Biden’s numbers falling drastically with the key demographic.

A Gallup poll last week found Biden’s approval rating among independents falling to 37 percent, the lowest it has been since Biden took office, and slipping 24 points below his 61 percent approval rating at the beginning of his administration.

..........“I think there is definitely some concern that Biden isn’t really doing the things he said he’d be doing, like making things run smoothly again after four tumultuous years,” said one Democratic strategist. “A lot of people feel like they haven’t seen much of that lately, especially if you’re not drinking the Biden Kool-Aid.”

The pendulum is swinging back, again, quick as you like.

of course. he's standing on his own agenda, and right now the agenda is stagnant. COVID is also dragging on (gee, thought it would disappear in the spring when the weather gets hot any day now after election day after january 20?). the numbers will sink.

Trump's favorability on election day was a negative 12.8. It's a negative 8.4 today, which is still worse than Biden's favorability.

So sure - "kool-aid"

Last edited:
I’m fine with criticizing Biden. He wasn’t my first choice. But I’m just glad we are criticizing him on the merits of his performance, rather than a giant gaslight en masse.

There’s definitely concern, sure. Biden did the hard thing and pulled out of Afghanistan. It was messy, but was always going to be.

COVID continues — thanks to the efforts of GOP governors who would rather dead constituents than be seen to work with the Democrats — but it is getting better. The economy remains pretty strong and will only get better as the tantrums subside and the vax rate inches ever upward.

Democrat infighting is also messy, because the Democrats are an actual big tent party concerned with the messiness of governing rather than a suicidal cult movement, but once things pass, it will be a big W for Team Biden.

But sure, it’s been a rough couple months. That’s how politics goes sometimes in the biggest multicultural democracy on earth.

It didn’t have to be messy but certainly it wasn’t going to be clean. Chalk that up to the last three presidents failing to help establish a functional government that the people supported. But also we shouldn’t be establishing governments in other countries.

It didn’t have to be messy but certainly it wasn’t going to be clean. Chalk that up to the last three presidents failing to help establish a functional government that the people supported. But also we shouldn’t be establishing governments in other countries.

It is amazing to think back almost 20 years and know that the W administration thought that if you invaded a country and installed a government and a McDonald’s, there would suddenly be peace, Arabs would finally get the representative democracy that is the yearning of every human heart, and the oil would be cheap.

Just amazing.

Magnus's Norway arrow attack story reminded me of this crazy one just recently from the Windy City:

Mayor Lightfoot with some common sense. No big fan of hers (although I don't live in Chicago). Many mayors do have key administrative responsibilities beyond political/ceremonial roles. Seeing that the city trains and buses run on time, that the trash is picked up off the street, etc.

Maybe State's Attorney Foxx will follow up with charges, once all the evidence comes in.

there's a multifaceted, incredibly complex issue that we, as an exceedingly dumb country, will not be able to fix.

right wing radicalization of our law enforcement is a serious issue.

the failure of left wing pushes and calls of "defunding the police" is a failure, as violent crime and homicides continue to rise in our cities.

because of our inability to see shades of gray in this country, neither issue will be addressed adequately.

blazing-saddles.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom