US Politics XXXIV: Biden Against the Manchine (Live at the Sinema)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Russian forces attacked 5 railway stations in Ukraine after Blinken, Lloyd visit: official
https://news.yahoo.com/russian-forces-attacked-5-railway-143059804.html

The reported railway attacks come after US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin met with Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv on Sunday.

Blinken and Austin flew from the US to Poland and from there traveled to Kyiv by train.

a man who inherited a fortune from his parents' apartheid gem mines and now literally hoards billions of dollars is an example of "good capitalism"...

The guy is a positive force for the world....unless & until he becomes something else. The latter is always a possibility. :shrug:

No doubt plenty of eyes are on Mr. Musk.

he promised to give $8 billion to the UN to fight world hunger if they sent him their plan for how they would use the money and then when they did he reneged on actually giving the money. and now instead of doing anything good with $44 billion he's using it to get revenge on a tech company whose rules he didn't like.

such a positive force for the world.

he promised to give $8 billion to the UN to fight world hunger if they sent him their plan for how they would use the money and then when they did he reneged on actually giving the money. and now instead of doing anything good with $44 billion he's using it to get revenge on a tech company whose rules he didn't like.

such a positive force for the world.

Wow are you seriously that zero-sum such that whatever good is done is nullified by what perceived negative exists?

We have a planetary crisis and we have a hunger crisis. He’s a greedy billionaire, yes. He earmarked like $6 billion in probably-escaping-taxes charity as a result of someone challenging him to just give up $6 billion. Yes, he absolutely should be giving that money away. No, those rich greedy bastards do not just willy-nilly give away $6 billion. Neither does Twitter nor do any of Musk’s ultra rich contemporaries.

Yes, he’s an asshole. But if you think somehow that the current runners of Ford, of Toyota, of GM, of BMW, of VW, of you name it have done ANYTHING to solve our planetary climate crisis, you’re wrong. He capitalized on them for oligopolizing.

Yes, he’s an asshole. But if you think somehow that the current runners of Verizon, of AT&T, of Deutsche Telecom, of Time Warner, of Alcatel, of Huawei, of Comcast, of British Telecommunications, of you name it have provided ANY substantive technology growth in the past three decades to enable internet connectivity to underserved people, you’re wrong. And I work close with this one. He capitalized on them for oligopolizing.

Yes, he’s an asshole. But if you think somehow that the current runners of Lockheed Martin, of Boeing, of Raytheon, of Northrop Grumman have provided ANY substantive technology growth, regard for taxpayer dollars, regard for carbon neutral point to point transportation, regard for human life, regard for anything but “the shareholder,” you’re so wrong.

As an engineer who has spent the past 5 years working in his industry and parallel to his other industries, there’s nothing more frustrating than knowing, trying, and failing to create meaningful change due to a system that is only interested in MONEY. A system that is practically irreversible due to some congresspeople’s corruption or general lack of morals, or due to the sheer nature of capitalism. If this fucker wants to have the biggest ego out there that’s fine by me. If everyone is going to cross their arms about it and say “well fuck the rest of that good contribution because he’s a greedy dick who hasn’t done more,” I question whether or not anyone can actually accept betterment, or if we’re just doomed to die in some red pill blue pill bullshit tribalistic game.

guess i'm not wrong then because i don't "think somehow" any of that. absolutely no clue where you're getting the idea that i think elon is uniquely evil and i'm cool with the CEOs of like raytheon and boeing lol. every CEO of every large corporation is an evil fuck - they can all go to hell.

i can't understand for the life of me why common people stan so hard for the richest man on earth who wouldn't even piss on you if you were on fire. the man shares 3 crumbs from a loaf of bread and gets praised like he's the greatest person alive.

Last edited:
No clue where I’m getting the idea? I gave praise to his accomplishments in the name of protecting our climate and you refuted that he could be seen as a positive force for the world because he didn’t give $6 billion to charity like he said he would on Twitter.

At this point in his life, he’s been more positive than any of those companies I named. It’s a sad reality that one human can be that rich and that we need someone’s ego to be the driving force behind something we cannot accomplish as a global society, but if that’s how it’s gotta be, so be it. Hopefully if not him, another billionaire wants sainthood-like ego in exchange for becoming filthy rich on fixing famine. Does he deserve criticism? Absolutely, loads of it. Do people unnecessarily praise him as being some wicked genius who is saving us all? For sure. Does that mean he’s a net negative? No.

Just saw that.

Back in the 80s and 90s this would have been national news and probably a chance at some reform (we did have assault weapons ban for a little while).

Now we’ve just accepted that the American dream is baseball, American pie, and bullets flying over head.

As for the Elon stuff. The dude is a horrible person. Completely ego driven and fell upwards. I won’t discredit some of the good he has been a part of with innovation of the companies he owns

But we need more of Mackenzie Scott

World is run by insecure white dudes obsessed with their penis. Guess it’s the story of mankind

Just saw that.

Back in the 80s and 90s this would have been national news and probably a chance at some reform (we did have assault weapons ban for a little while).

Now we’ve just accepted that the American dream is baseball, American pie, and bullets flying over head.

As for the Elon stuff. The dude is a horrible person. Completely ego driven and fell upwards. I won’t discredit some of the good he has been a part of with innovation of the companies he owns

But we need more of Mackenzie Scott

World is run by insecure white dudes obsessed with their penis. Guess it’s the story of mankind

Despite the recent uptick in gun crime, especially in red states like South Carolina (which, oddly, never get the attention of Chicago or Oakland) the US has objectively less crime than in the 80s and 90s. We are safer than we’ve been since the early 1960s. I think the randomness and sudden explosiveness of something like fun violence makes things feel more precarious than they really are. Things like legal abortion starting in the early 1970s Al’s have helped to lower the crime rates.

So let’s all wonder why republicans want more guns and fewer abortions while worrying about being shot in Chicago.

Elon's Vegas tunnel system thing is a big ole duderoo. that's abou tall i've got to add to the conversation on Elon Musk.

oh, and that's it's hilarious that there are so many on the left who are outraged at elon buying twitter yet I see more Tesla's bopping around this city every day.

There are SO MANY in cities like LA and Seattle. And you know what? I’d buy one too. He makes a product that is objectively A Good Thing, and if it makes electric cars cool for selfish earth-raping right wingers, I guess the joke’s on them?

We’re long past the time where is weird to worship CEOs — look at mediocre white guys and Trump, (pre-Foundation), Bill Gates, Richard Branson, etc. It’s natural in a land of temporarily embarrassed millionaires where the bigger crime is not letting the winner take all.

All of which is to say that I have no real reaction to him buying Twitter. Sure, he comes off like a huge asshole. But what he makes is objectively good. It’s kind of like how I am fine rewatching Rosemary’s Baby and also think Polanski should have gone to jail.

I guess for me is Elon the reason we have these cars, or would they have eventually happened? How much value did he provide to get T up and running and out the door?

They look like wonderful cars (when they're not being recalled ;) )

He also donated the satellite service to Ukraine to help keep their communications up and running.

It's just a shame that the three richest people in the world are in charge of 95% of our media

There are SO MANY in cities like LA and Seattle. And you know what? I’d buy one too. He makes a product that is objectively A Good Thing, and if it makes electric cars cool for selfish earth-raping right wingers, I guess the joke’s on them?

We’re long past the time where is weird to worship CEOs — look at mediocre white guys and Trump, (pre-Foundation), Bill Gates, Richard Branson, etc. It’s natural in a land of temporarily embarrassed millionaires where the bigger crime is not letting the winner take all.

All of which is to say that I have no real reaction to him buying Twitter. Sure, he comes off like a huge asshole. But what he makes is objectively good. It’s kind of like how I am fine rewatching Rosemary’s Baby and also think Polanski should have gone to jail.

i don't disagree - and i want a Tesla.

i just enjoy pointing out rank hypocrisy. you can't scream about how awful it is that a person bought company A while enriching the same person through your purchase of product of Company B.

it's like the people who decry big tech with twitter posts from their iphone.

I guess for me is Elon the reason we have these cars, or would they have eventually happened? How much value did he provide to get T up and running and out the door?

They look like wonderful cars (when they're not being recalled ;) )

He also donated the satellite service to Ukraine to help keep their communications up and running.

It's just a shame that the three richest people in the world are in charge of 95% of our media

would it have happened regardless? probably. but it could have happened for years. he finally stepped up and did it, and it's helped spur the big manufacturers to follow suit.

he's a bit of the living embodiment of an oxymoron. he's undoubtedly done good - while also being a bit of a douchemonster.

kind of like bill gates.

reading MTG's texts to Mark Meadows has changed my opinion on her a bit.

I actually don't think she's an intentional insurrectionist. i think she's actually just a complete fucking moron.

which ironically will be her best defense on whether or not she's able to run for office again. actually she didn't plot to overthrow the government - she's just really fucking stupid and a little bat shit crazy.

like... legitimately batshit off the deep end coocoo pants who truly and honestly believes in Q and jewish space lasers and zombie hugo chavez stealing the election.

this is a good idea and Democrats should start doing this more often:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/24/politics/utah-democrats-evan-mcmullin-mike-lee/index.html

if we want to live in a world where a Democratic president is actually able to appoint judges after 2024, then this is something we need to do. i'm mad at Joe Manchin, sure. but Joe Manchin is the best that WVA can do.

remember: Mike Lee thinks that democracy sometimes gets in the way and should be avoided.

Much like landing/reusable rockets, consumer electric cars have existed for decades in concept and in limited application.

You only saw electric cars start to have presence in the 1970s due to rising oil costs. You saw it again in 2008. You never saw any serious investment in infrastructure or any of those companies putting their money where their mouth was because oil prices came back down in both circumstances.

So, I highly doubt it would have happened anyways. Not in a timely sense. Why develop infrastructure and advance technology when I can make billions selling you the same thing? That’s end game capitalism. You can only undo it with government…. or with some hyper aggressive egomaniacal capitalist with a looooot of money.

Not a good day for Madison Cawthorn either. Another attempt to bring a gun on a plane
And accused of insider trading

The people are not sending their best to DC.

Reading the reactions on Twitter it appears a lot of “liberal / left” accounts are losing tons of followers, while right wing accounts like DeSantis and Gaetz are adding thousands and thousands by the day (Ron getting something like 95,000 over the last 48 hours)

I don’t really dive into the comments. Prefer to stick with the headlines and reading the articles

Elon can’t let the platform turn into a worse hellscape or runs risk of real people leaving and devaluing the product.

But maybe he doesn’t care.

Reading the reactions on Twitter it appears a lot of “liberal / left” accounts are losing tons of followers, while right wing accounts like DeSantis and Gaetz are adding thousands and thousands by the day (Ron getting something like 95,000 over the last 48 hours)

I’m sure svetlana17189485097 and valeri00272752568 really have just lost faith in the democratic establishment and have chosen to follow right wing media in droves over the last 48 hours.

I’m sure svetlana17189485097 and valeri00272752568 really have just lost faith in the democratic establishment and have chosen to follow right wing media in droves over the last 48 hours.

It’s not like the troll farms are gearing up for the midterms or anything.

this is a good idea and Democrats should start doing this more often:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/24/politics/utah-democrats-evan-mcmullin-mike-lee/index.html

if we want to live in a world where a Democratic president is actually able to appoint judges after 2024, then this is something we need to do. i'm mad at Joe Manchin, sure. but Joe Manchin is the best that WVA can do.

remember: Mike Lee thinks that democracy sometimes gets in the way and should be avoided.
This times 1000.

Manchin held up BBB. True.

Imagine if he wasn't there and the Republicans still controlled the Senate?

Don't let perfect get in the way of good, Democrats.

Run all the AOCs you want in safe blue districts and states. But if you can't win some purple and red districts, you're not going to keep control (let alone expand it).

The Republicans spent three decades rigging the game.

This times 1000.

Manchin held up BBB. True.

Imagine if he wasn't there and the Republicans still controlled the Senate?

Don't let perfect get in the way of good, Democrats.

Run all the AOCs you want in safe blue districts and states. But if you can't win some purple and red districts, you're not going to keep control (let alone expand it).

The Republicans spent three decades rigging the game.

Or, imagine 2-3 I’s who could give him cover on certain bills.

Read an article, think it was the Bulwark talking about how San Fran local elections are booting out all the far left and going with the Obama style Democrats instead.

School Boards
Their horrible DA
City Councils

Story went on to say that these Democrats that are winning all want the same basic things as any liberal dream, healthcare, environment, equality. But found the far left's message of "Defund" and the horrible policies of homelessness encampments, school name changes as well as the equity education, and the petty crime that was sweeping over (or lack of punishment) were driving the residents insane.

Eventually people got tired of stepping in human feces as they were getting their purses or cars stolen.

I don't mind AOC at all. I think she's a very smart politician and I think she'd make a wonderful speaker. I feel like there would be consequences to all the bullshit that happens in the house. But she was in the right place at the right time. Even if her message or policy preferences are supported by a majority of Americans, it just doesn't win elections. Safe does. That's why Biden beat them all at age 700

AOC also torpedoed Amazon moving into a district that she didn't represent (while living in a building that has its own Whole Foods, btw). alas - it's not about her.

the defund the police movement is one of the dumbest fucking things in recent modern american political history - and the only reason why it isn't completely devastating to the democratic party is because Donald Trump was the opponent.

AOC also torpedoed Amazon moving into a district that she didn't represent (while living in a building that has its own Whole Foods, btw). alas - it's not about her.

the defund the police movement is one of the dumbest fucking things in recent modern american political history - and the only reason why it isn't completely devastating to the democratic party is because Donald Trump was the opponent.

Yeah whoever thought of that slogan should have been fired if they haven't already. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom