US Politics XXXIV: Biden Against the Manchine (Live at the Sinema)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dozens of Chinese warplanes fly near Taiwan after US-Japan show of naval might
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/23/asia/china-taiwan-warplane-incursion-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

Hong Kong (CNN) China sent 39 warplanes into Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Sunday, Taiwan's Defense Ministry said, the largest such incursion this year.
The flights by the People's Liberation Army aircraft came a day after the United States and Japanese navies put on a massive show of force in the Philippine Sea, putting together a flotilla that included two US Navy aircraft carriers, two US amphibious assault ships and a Japanese helicopter destroyer, essentially a small aircraft carrier. Two US guided-missile cruisers and five destroyers were also part of the exercise.

.....Sunday's incursions were made by 24 J-16 fighter jets, 10 J-10 fighter jets, two Y-9 transport aircraft, two Y-8 anti-submarine warning aircraft, and one nuclear-capable H-6 bomber, the Taiwanese Defense Ministry said in a statement on Sunday.

......The incursions on Sunday marked the highest daily number of Chinese warplanes entering Taiwan's ADIZ this year. The highest number of incursions ever recorded was on October 4 last year, when 56 military planes flew into the area on the same day.

House Speaker Pelosi will run for re-election to Congress
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...pelosi-will-run-re-election-congress-n1288018

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Tuesday that she is seeking another term in Congress, ending speculation that she might retire after having represented San Francisco for more than three decades.

"While we have made progress much more needs to be done to improve people’s lives. This election is crucial: nothing less is at stake than our Democracy," Pelosi, D-Calif., said in a tweet.

.....Pelosi is expected to win re-election easily in her heavily Democratic district. In 2020, she won with over 77 percent of the vote in the general election.

We can't possibly replace a judge this close to election time. Can we please let the voters decide????

:-\

Assume Joe M and Krysten S would vote to confirm?

Assume Joe M and Krysten S would vote to confirm?

Pretty sure they vote to confirm. They are now in the spotlights for their foot-dragging on the Build Back Better Act and the filibuster changes, but usually they vote with the other Democrat proposals.

Let's not forget Mitch McConnell's recent words regarding black people voting.

But hey, I'm sure he just "misspoke". Totally innocent gaffe.
Yeah, riiiight. :rolleyes:

:wave: How you doing? :hug:

Well I’d actually agree that Mitch misspoke. I’d only agree because we know the man knows better. That was personal Mitch leaking into professional Mitch.
:hmm: Interesting conjecture. The mask slipped a bit.

2816U2 is obviously criticizing this from a place of absurdity, but to say the Democrats have a platform because of the bills they didn't pass is a stretch. Especially considering how much of the bills they were willing to dump just to appear to do something.

The Democrats' only true platform is the one Paul Begala laid out: "our leaders are fine, it's the followers that are letting us down." That's the one consistent belief among the Dems, that the voters have let them down. I'm sure THIS time, condescending to voters is going to get the job done.

Oh, puleeeease, Jerry, "the one true platform".
I've not heard that from other Democractic spokespeople.

"Especially considering how much of the bills they were willing to dump just to appear to 'do something'."

What? You think the Infrastructure bill does nothing?

For one thing in NYC the IB is giving the MTA $$'s to upgrade, fix parts of the Subway. Not only that - it's going to stave off a fare hike.
And that's going help a heck of a lot of
Low Income Workers who the Subway, and Bus. Which means a whole lot of Black, and brown workers are going have one less extra problem in their lives. People you proport to care about as a progressive.
(And poor white people like me, who use Public Transit as well. :up: )

What about that poor bridge in Pittsburgh that just collapsed from snow earlier today (no one hurt!). Guess what's going to help them.

As for Biden there are plenty of Democratics who like him (that goes for you, too, Headache), and VP Harris.

Go take a look at democraticunderground.com
Come on over and take a look. (Anyone from here)

I believe it's the longest running Democratic voters site started in 2000 after W won. I remembered it from 2000-'01 but not having constistant access to the Internet didn't follow it.
To my delight I found it in 2020. Not only am I a member, but a volunteer payer to help keep it strong, has a lot of people It's very active; runs from more moderate to liberal, progressives, and a few leftists, too.
Tons of good Info. Great interesting, and fun off-topic forums, too. :up:

maybe-ehhh.gif
Screenshot_20220129-072654.jpg

Biden to NYC next week to discuss gun crime with Mayor Adams
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/biden-nyc-week-discuss-gun-crime-mayor-adams-82491532

WASHINGTON -- President Joe Biden will visit New York City next week to discuss combating gun crime with Mayor Eric Adams, a meeting that will follow the recent fatal shooting of two city police officers.

.....In recent days, a Houston-area constable deputy was shot and killed during a late-night weekend traffic stop, and a District of Columbia police officer was wounded in a separate shooting.

Great opportunity on Thursday for President Biden to re-affirm his strong backing of our LEOs and for public safety in general.

Imho the president has a secondary role (at best) in what are mostly state and local issues. But he does have the bully pulpit. Time to use it on behalf of our cops.

ISIS leader dies during U.S. counterterrorism raid in Syria, White House says
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/03/us-forces-kill-isis-leader-in-syria-white-house-says.html

WASHINGTON – The leader of terrorist group ISIS, Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi, died during a U.S. raid in Syria, the White House said Thursday.

The Islamic State militant group leader was on the third floor of a building in northern Syria when U.S. special operators arrived. Al-Qurayshi detonated a bomb that killed himself and several members of his family.

.....He rose through the ranks of the terror group before he was named its leader in October 2019, a few days after his predecessor, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, was killed during a U.S. raid.

“As our troops approached to capture the terrorist, and in a final act of desperate cowardice he chose to blow himself up rather than face justice for the crimes he has committed,” President Joe Biden said Thursday in an address from the White House.

“Thanks to the bravery of our troops, this horrible terrorist leader is no more. Our forces carried out the operation with their signature preparation and precision,” Biden said, adding that all U.S. service members involved in the mission returned safely from the operation.

In an effort to minimize civilian casualties, Biden said he ordered an air assault on the compound instead of an airstrike.

......“I’m grateful for the immense courage and skill and determination of our U.S. forces who skillfully executed this incredibly challenging mission,” Biden said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom