US Politics XXXIV: Biden Against the Manchine (Live at the Sinema)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2816U2 is obviously criticizing this from a place of absurdity, but to say the Democrats have a platform because of the bills they didn't pass is a stretch. Especially considering how much of the bills they were willing to dump just to appear to do something.

The Democrats' only true platform is the one Paul Begala laid out: "our leaders are fine, it's the followers that are letting us down." That's the one consistent belief among the Dems, that the voters have let them down. I'm sure THIS time, condescending to voters is going to get the job done.

I'd prolly skip a long post about Canadian politics too.

But would you read a disingenuous eye rolling concern troll made up of some copypasta from right wing Twitter?

To think that Sinema someone to be admired because her sole purpose is to stop the Dem agenda that supposedly doesn’t exist?

I don't feel the need to get rustled by criticisms levied at establishment Democrats. I vote for them out of desperate necessity stemming from a broken binary electoral system that doesn't represent my needs. That is, I am more than the party I am registered under because of course I am. Is anyone completely happy with either party? Really?

So I don't give a shit what Republicans have to say about Biden or Harris because, frankly, they weren't my first choice and they couldn't pass their legislation if they wanted to. It's disappointing but it is what it is. Unless major risks were taken in stacking courts and annilating the filibuster, nothing was going to pass and Democrats would experience a short-lived "majority." We've all been saying this for months. There's no new information here.

With that being said, of course Democrats want more than what's on 42069U2's list. Of course nobody is actually saying that 1/6 was worse than the Civil War, 9/11 and Pearl Harbor combined. #3 on his list isn't really a policy per se, he's just bitching because not everyone is always wearing masks on their faces when they are requesting others do the same for valid reasons. Nobody likes a hypocrite, but that's not really a policy critique. His post has some reasonable observations but it isn't really saying anything that anyone on this board can do something about. Yeah, establishment Dems are a disappointment. Making a list of reasons why they suck doesn't make the GOP any more principled, focused and worthwhile.

I'm seeing a lot of "the GOP has no platform" and "the GOP is a bunch of crazies" from this increasingly small echo chamber.
So, can I ask what the Democrats' platform is? Because I see it as the following five items:

the idea that this place is an echo chamber just because the majority of us think the republican party has gone off the deep end is a crock. it's a mix of disenfranchised republicans, moderate establishment types, liberal democrats, and true leftists. we hardly ever agree on anything, actually - other than that Trumpism is a threat to democracy, and by association so then is the republican party, as they have refused to denounce Trumpism and have instead embraced it.

if anything the shrinking of the republican party has made it harder for everyone else to actually agree on anything - as the democratic party now consists of those who used to moderate republicans, who very clearly will not agree with the ideals of those to the far left of the party.

the majority of us here, and, frankly, everywhere didn't vote for Joe Biden and this administration because were just so endeared by a 75 year old piece of stale wheat bread.

1) If you disagree with any of my views, you are a white supremacist. Even if you are voting for a black female Republican to be Lieutenant Governor. Hell, even if you're black yourself. Vote Democrat, or else you hate black people.

sure, there's some of this from people left of crazy town. but aren't you sitting here lumping every person who isn't a republican into one big lump?

the former president and the person who is still the leader of the party trafficked in this shit. the most watched host on the most watched news network traffics in far right, white nationalist ideas - his lead writer was literally caught posting on white nationalist message boards and was forced to resign. the political mentor to the former president travels in circles with militias, and has used them as his own personal security team. multiple members of the house of representatives have close ties to white nationalist militias. all of these things are facts. they are not up for debate.

so i think the better question is this - why has this fringe element been given a platform in the trumpist republican party? why hasn't their been more push back? why is tucker carlson the most watched show on Fox? where's the pushback?

why won't the republican party reject this? why have they embraced the people who have embraced white nationalism?

because that's the issue. do i think every republican is a racist and white nationalist? no. but you're not rejecting it, either. that's a problem. will you at least admit that this is a major issue for your party?

2) What happened on January 6th was worse than 9/11, Pearl Harbor, and the Civil War combined.

i lived in new york during 9/11 and i lived a mile from the capitol on january 6. so first - fuck you for even making the comparison.

this is an absurd statement. the better question is why does the party that pretends to care so much about the constitution not want those responsible for january 6 to be held responsible? why don't you want those who spread clear and obvious lies in an attempt to stay in power held responsible? the president's political mentor used a group that has been recently charged with sedition as his personal security force - on january 6. why does this not bother you?

3) We believe in science and the importance of wearing masks and social distancing. Unless we're going to a Nancy Pelosi fundraiser- then we don't need science. Or when we're attending the Met Gala. Or a BLM rally. The virus knows to stay away from those places, because they're important events. But your six-year-old needs to wear a mask all day at school and show vaccine proof to buy a Happy Meal.

your examples (which, uh, yea, are fox news talking points) are, for the most part, absurd. it actually takes away from what is otherwise a valid criticism and point.

yes - covid has become overtly political. btw - it was the orange guy who made it so - alas.

we should be following the science, and should have been from day one. sometimes that means we should be overcautious until we can confirm and verify.

new york city dropped their mask mandate in favor of a vaccine mandate. that's why the met gala had no masks. but you knew this already.

but there are valid criticisms that there are those on the left who believe that we're still in spring 2020 with omicron, even though the science is telling us otherwise.

but what the science continues to tell us is that a) with the exception of those with big time preexisting medical conditions this thing doesn't impact children the same way it impacts adults even if they aren't vaccinated, and b) for adults? it's clear and obvious that you have very little to worry about with omicron if you are vaccinated and boosted. if you aren't vaccinated, you still have a lot to worry about - especially if you have preexisting conditions. the numbers spell this out and are undeniable.

4) Anything that cancel culture or the woke mob wants- you've got it. We're scared of you and will let you dictate all norms, actions and laws going forward.

an over exaggeration, but you're not completely wrong. there is a sense that anytime someone makes a mistake that their career should be over - which is wrong.

but not all mistakes are equal - and people on both sides of the spectrum like to hide behind the critique of cancel culture to cover for taking responsibility for their own actions.

#5) Republicans don't trust or accept election results, unlike us Democrats (Al Gore notwithstanding. Or Hillary Clinton. Or Stacey Abrams....)

another absurd argument. i'm not someone who thinks Bush stole the election in 2000. i think he won it fair and square. but gore obviously had a valid case, because it was taken up and actually ruled on by the courts.

the former president's court cases, on the other hand, were obvious lies, had no standing, and were laughed out of court.

to try and compare what the former president did to what any of the names you mentioned said or legal action they may have taken is a ridiculous statement. the former president's objections were not based on any solid legal argument. they were based on obvious and ridiculous lies.

And that's not me saying that. That's not Fox News saying that. That is the Democratic Party saying that.

it actually is fox news saying that.

Look at the talking points, the ads, the content of the speeches- this is coming from leadership. So if the platform is more than those five things, I don't see it. It's not coming through in the messaging or from the messengers. Not that I have a problem with that. Seriously- please, please, please keep running on January 6th and nonexistent racism and "science" that you don't follow yourself but force others to. Please. And then wonder why you'll get profoundly rejected this November.

there is actual legislation - some of it has already passed - which is more than what the previous president can say outside of tax cuts. you all couldn't even get the ACA repealed with full control of the senate and house, which was your main talking point for 8 fucking years.

you're not wrong that running on things like CRT and defunding the police do not move the needle for the general electorate -the overwhelming majority of whom are apolitical and don't really give a crap about either party.

that doesn't make racism - systemic and blatant - "non existent." it doesn't make police reform not a priority. it mostly means that the democrats are pretty bad at politics and messaging - a point which some of us in this "echo chamber" have been making for quite a while.

And yet, Joe Biden is the best you can do.

... yet he managed to beat your guy in a landslide

Tell me that you at least have the awareness that if the 2024 nominee is Biden or Harris, you lose. At least be that intellectually honest. Or, too, if it's Hillary, for that matter (sad and scary that her name is starting to be thrown around, isn't it?). Certainly add Bernie and Warren to that list, and, of course, AOC. Honestly- who is your bench? Michelle Obama?

it's an issue. there's no doubt about that.

btw nobody is throwing hillary's name around. the first mainstream pushing of her name is a potential 2024 nominee was from dick fucking morris on right wing radio, which the New York Post (owned by the Murdoch family btw) and the Wall Street Journal ran with. but remember - it's not Fox News saying it, it's the democrats!

I live in Arizona. One of my Senators is Kyrsten Sinema. While I did not originally vote for her, I've been fairly impressed by her. She's one of the only Democrats (along with Tulsi Gabbard) who I would ever for a millisecond actually consider voting for. Prior to a couple months ago, I would have thought she'd be an attractive and formidable VP or POTUS nominee in the near future, and checks several boxes- only 45, from a swing state, LGBT+ member, etc. And yet, your side has completely destroyed her. And for what? There's no room in this extremist party for her anymore. Same with Gabbard. The GOP is constantly attacked for saying the radicals own the party. Look in the fucking mirror.

i'm not even going to address tulsi as it's unnecessary. she's a hack and unserious.

regarding sinema, and by association manchin, you're not necessarily wrong. without them the democrats wouldn't control the senate and wouldn't have been able to pass anything on reconciliation, let alone any actual policy legislation.

i also agree that getting rid of the filibuster (or the other left wing pipe dream of court stacking) is something that will ultimately backfire. instead of complaining about two people who helped you own the senate, they should think more about their strategy to win more seats.

that said - it's absurd that the filibuster isn't a talking filibuster. it's absurd that the minority party - no matter which party - can not legislate without a super majority. this doesn't help anyone.

if you have a majority - even if it's a 50/50 split that you own the tie breaker on - you should be allowed to legislate - no matter the party.

manchin and sinema should at minimum support going back to the traditional filibuster rules. eliminating the filibuster altogether? i'm indifferent. i understand why, but it will backfire once the republicans inevitably take control again. same goes with court stacking.

Do you ever seriously examine why the Democratic Party is so terrible right now? Look at the abysmal numbers. Biden's approval. Lord knows Harris's (sorry- that's just racism, right?). The number of people fleeing the party and fleeing blue states- see Gallup's recent look at this. This is historically, near unprecedentedly bad. Do you notice or care? Is there any real reflection or analysis going on?

I swear, if the party were to ask itself why it's numbers are so bad right now, and were given these two options:
A) I guess independents are turning more racist and Nazi-like
B) There might perhaps be an issue with Biden, Harris, Pelosi, and our current areas of focus on the policy front. Let's pivot and find some new voices and messages.
....they'd without question think it must be option A.

the democrats have a major issue in 2022 unless they can pass some things. there is zero doubt about that. they need to figure out a way to get more things passed - whether it's by getting a talking filibuster and pushing the full bbb through or by breaking it into pieces.

but, you know, this is fairly commonplace. the former president lost the house in 2018, if you recall. and the former president's approval numbers for most of his first two year in office hovered a solid 8 points below Biden's own bad numbers. he was always in the mid 30s through his first two years in office. his high water marks were around where Biden's "abysmal" numbers are. he topped out at 45. biden's at 43. the majority of the former president's first two years he spent in the 30s.

and btw - the gallup report you mentioned? yea it doesn't really say what you think it says.

h9n2s0qhku-xz-tl9dailq.png

We were supposed to see some self-reflection after the beating in 2010. And 2016. And Virginia, etc a couple months ago. It's never, ever happened. The party has only doubled and tripled and quadrupled-down on crazy. And then they'll act shocked when DeSantis wins 35 states in a few years. But please- continue devoting your time to calling Trump a "slob" and trying to come up with a clever line of attack on DeSantis (or did you officially decide on DeathSantis?).

Again- what is your platform? What is a winning issue for you? Where have you pivoted? How are you attracting swing voters? What is your future?

And if you disagree with anything I just said, you are clearly a white supremacist.

i literally said that a desantis type candidate worries me more than the former president like 2 days ago.

and i will never stop calling trump an inept slovenly disgrace of a human being - because that's what he is. he's a lie. his entire being is a lie. that your party fell for the lie and embraced it will never not baffle me.

Is there anything worse than the “I was told …” style of posting about politics (“I was told Hillary would beat Trump, wah!” “I was told Biden would end the virus in 3 weeks, wah!”)?

No, you weren’t told anything an argument was presented, and you were never powerless to disagree, but you did just present it in the most convenient, disingenuous way possible.

Difficult to take anything seriously after those words.

The only echo chamber Uncle Headache approves of is the one inside that eagle head…

Jake Tapper Says Jen Psaki ‘Earning Her Paycheck This Week’ As She Cleans Up Biden’s Comments
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/jake-ta...k-this-week-as-she-cleans-up-bidens-comments/

......Psaki cleaned up several of Biden’s answers, including questioning the legitimacy of the upcoming midterm elections and appearing to give the “green light” to Russia to conduct a “minor incursion” into Ukraine.

......“That’s absolutely not what our intention was or not the message we sent,” replied Psaki, citing the U.S. actions that have been taken in response to Russia staging troops on the country’s border with Ukraine.

Ending the interview, Tapper said, “White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki earning her paycheck this week.”

Earlier in the interview, Tapper pressed Psaki on Biden suggesting that the 2022 elections could be not legitimate.

And to think, 2 years ago, Trump was all “can we nuke hurricanes? I went on this great date with that Boy King in Noeth Korea” and honest brokers were all “calm down, Trump gonna Trump.”

This is the most absurd part about society today. Folks can’t put their finger on what it is that makes Kamala Harris the most notorious, relevant, and worst VP in history, but boy there’s just something about her that’s a lot worse and more relevant than former president poopiepants asking NASA if we could use interplanetary spacecraft cleanroom disinfectant fog in folks lungs to treat Covid patients.

Let's not forget Mitch McConnell's recent words regarding black people voting.

But hey, I'm sure he just "misspoke". Totally innocent gaffe.

Well I’d actually agree that Mitch misspoke. I’d only agree because we know the man knows better. That was personal Mitch leaking into professional Mitch.

This is the most absurd part about society today. Folks can’t put their finger on what it is that makes Kamala Harris the most notorious, relevant, and worst VP in history, but boy there’s just something about her that’s a lot worse and more relevant than former president poopiepants asking NASA if we could use interplanetary spacecraft cleanroom disinfectant fog in folks lungs to treat Covid patients.

It would be better if you didn't draw any more attention to Vice President Harris than is necessary.

It would be better if you didn't draw any more attention to Vice President Harris than is necessary.

I mean attention is relative. Each VP since Cheney has been disliked for their respective reasons and I’m not discounting reasons why not do I care what reasons you have. What level of attention is necessary? I’ve got a large contingent of my family who won’t stop commenting on her. As a space systems engineer who had to listen to Mike Pence do the president’s job for national space policy, I didn’t hear general outcry for the poor job he did, despite being an unusually powerful VP (the choice of the president at the time). Despite his power, he was still on-the-whole irrelevant. No more or less so than Harris. If you want to criticize her from time to time that’s fine, but talking about her like she’s the worst thing ever is polluted with the bias that she’s probably “the next candidate.”

I mean attention is relative. Each VP since Cheney has been disliked for their respective reasons and I’m not discounting reasons why not do I care what reasons you have. What level of attention is necessary? I’ve got a large contingent of my family who won’t stop commenting on her. As a space systems engineer who had to listen to Mike Pence do the president’s job for national space policy, I didn’t hear general outcry for the poor job he did, despite being an unusually powerful VP (the choice of the president at the time). Despite his power, he was still on-the-whole irrelevant. No more or less so than Harris. If you want to criticize her from time to time that’s fine, but talking about her like she’s the worst thing ever is polluted with the bias that she’s probably “the next candidate.”

I haven't said much about VP Harris except in my previous comment,

but the vice president has clearly shown she is not 'the next candidate' for president.

I haven't said much about VP Harris except in my previous comment,

but the vice president has clearly shown she is not 'the next candidate' for president.

There’s not much meat on the bone here. I’ll preface this by saying aren’t talking to someone who is supportive of her as a candidate.

Now, I don’t know if you mean literally or figuratively that she’s shown that… in the literal sense, if Joe Biden chooses not to run, she is likely to be a top contender for the slot.

On the flip side, if you’re being figurative, put some more meat on that bone, please. I gave you my thoughts - I literally do not give a shit about what, on a good day, we refer to as the least relevant position in the president’s cabinet. So I ask again, why are conservatives hyper-focused on her in a way that we’ve not really ever seen before for any VP?

Once again I’ll provide my theory. Conservative media gets an early lead on likely candidates and goes after them - particularly Fox News. You can see this circa 2012 in media coverage of Hillary Clinton. She used to have popular support, what a weird thing given how hated she is now. It was only after office that she lost it, when it was apparent that she was launching a campaign. This is literally media driven buildup of negative recognition for someone we otherwise traditionally ignore.

I've read your last few takes and appreciate where you're coming from.

At the moment I don't have anything more to add on Vice President Harris or Mrs. Clinton :shrug:

https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/1485643582673326081?s=21

What a different world we would be in had her emails not been a thing.

I do think that part of the Rights obsession with Harris is to make her so unlikeable to mirror what they did to Hillary.

It was years and years of smear jobs against her (and Bill didn’t help matters either with some of his shit)

We could go back to Gore losing to Bush in 2000 as the start but Dubya was no where near as moronic and dangerous to our own National security as Trump

https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/1485643582673326081?s=21

What a different world we would be in had her emails not been a thing.

I do think that part of the Rights obsession with Harris is to make her so unlikeable to mirror what they did to Hillary.

It was years and years of smear jobs against her (and Bill didn’t help matters either with some of his shit)

We could go back to Gore losing to Bush in 2000 as the start but Dubya was no where near as moronic and dangerous to our own National security as Trump

it's almost as if elections have consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom