US Politics XXXIV: Biden Against the Manchine (Live at the Sinema)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dems' filibuster conundrum: It's not just Manchin and Sinema
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/10/democrats-filibuster-vote-526863

Mark Kelly is undecided. Jon Tester likes a talking filibuster but is “not crazy” about making an exception for elections reform. And Jeanne Shaheen is promoting more modest changes.

......Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.), who helped organize a bipartisan letter backing up the legislative filibuster in 2017, said he’s “seriously weighing” what to do.

Thank you for keeping us apprised of the news there. One rocket hit a school?

This stuff doesn't always make news in the U.S. But from reading your link and some other articles, seems like the Green Zone defense batteries go to work frequently enough that we should take more notice back home. I wasn't aware. Wonder how many non-combatants live or serve there in the safe? zone...

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1482355548565745670?s=21

https://twitter.com/beschlossdc/status/1481743299576840199?s=21

In for a wild ride. Not sure “More turnout!!” Is gonna matter but there’s no other option since Dems can’t pass shit

We need to realize that this year, and for the foreseeable future, you are either for democracy or you’re not.

You can possibly prefer many GOP “positions” — they don’t have many beyond obstruction … maybe tax cuts for the wealthy and a willingness to punish trans kids — and still realize that if you vote for them, you are voting to strip the electorate of choice. They’ve told us what they will do with power, so policy is entirely beyond the point here.

If you would like to continue to live in a democracy, you must vote for Democrats, inept as they may appear.

Agree and it’s why the GOP need to dismantle voting rights and election security / integrity

They know their policies (if you can call it that) is tax cuts for rich / corporations, dismantling government and basic human rights

None of these are a win for them.

One take i read really sums up where we are. The people who may run the government in next year are those who would rather ingest horse dewormer and drink their own piss than take a safe and effective vaccine.

There’s only one choice going forward for the survival of this country.

It seems easy but reality is showing other. The media holds the Dems to impossible standards of governance, while the GOP gets a complete free pass.

We need to realize that this year, and for the foreseeable future, you are either for democracy or you’re not.

You can possibly prefer many GOP “positions” — they don’t have many beyond obstruction … maybe tax cuts for the wealthy and a willingness to punish trans kids — and still realize that if you vote for them, you are voting to strip the electorate of choice. They’ve told us what they will do with power, so policy is entirely beyond the point here.

If you would like to continue to live in a democracy, you must vote for Democrats, inept as they may appear.
You're not wrong, but the sign that we're fucked isn't BEAL's hysteria. It's Virginia.

And on Virginia - it wasn't CRT like the media wants to think. It's simpler than that. Virginia kept schools closed and virtual longer than anyone else in the region, including DC which is crazy cause we were as hard core as anyone. That is what turned enough NoVa parents.

Because despite how much we want to argue over this and that, the majority of voters don't give a shit. They vote based on what impacts their day to day.

With one exception, it seems - and that's Trump. People just hate that fucker. Which is ultimately a good thing if he becomes the candidate. I'd be more concerned if the GOP nominated someone like DeSantis - Trump without Trump.

Think the bigger issue is that you get a race like Virginia where parents were upset about school closures and on the first day Governor strikes down mask and vaccine mandates

Right in middle of a surge. So you’re still going to have closures or very least chaos with sick kids and teachers. People keep voting with feelings and not facts. Has been this way for a long time, and it’s a big reason we are where we are

He may not be Trump but the GOP is all Trumpism now

Tax cuts
Guns
Anti science
CRT - which is the opening to bans against LBGT

I don’t know how sustainable it is for half the country’s states rejecting Federal law, and this is true when GOP is at the executive

DeSantis has already said he will fight the Vaccine Mandate for healthcare workers which was upheld by the GOP led Supreme Court.

It’s a death cult for sure and i don’t know what can change this path we are on.

Last edited:
Think the bigger issue is that you get a race like Virginia where parents were upset about school closures and on the first day Governor strikes down mask and vaccine mandates

Right in middle of a surge. So you’re still going to have closures or very least chaos with sick kids and teachers. People keep voting with feelings and not facts. Has been this way for a long time, and it’s a big reason we are where we are

He may not be Trump but the GOP is all Trumpism now

Tax cuts
Guns
Anti science
CRT - which is the opening to bans against LBGT

I don’t know how sustainable it is for half the country’s states rejecting Federal law, and this is true when GOP is at the executive

DeSantis has already said he will fight the Vaccine Mandate for healthcare workers which was upheld by the GOP led Supreme Court.

It’s a death cult for sure and i don’t know what can change this path we are on.
Yea - I know. And the same suburban mothers who turned out in force against Trump all voted for him just 11 months removed from January 6.

That's what frightens me. Not Trump running again in 2024... he's a deplatformed mess at this point. People hate him. He lost 2020 in a landslide.

What would worry me is someone who uses Trump's platform and is willing to cheat all the same, but who is likable and doesn't bring our crazy strong emotions one way or the other. That's the person who I'm terrified of - not the blubbering soon to be bankrupt and probably indicted slob from Florida.

I hope he’s indicted. Justice needs to be impartial and fair, it sure appears as tho there’s enough over his entire life let alone the last four years to go off of. Obstruction of Justice from Mueller days would be the first To go

I agree that the worst threat would be authoritarian without the warts of a Buffoon like Trump.

The thing about Trump is that if the GOP nominee isn’t trump then Trump will set his dumb phasers to kill and try to destroy the not-Trump nominee.

Trump is actually a moderate when the topic is vaccines. He created the monster and now even he can’t tame it.

NYTimes article saying the RNC is suggesting no Presidential Debates. I’m actually ok with it because they’re not worth it anymore. Especially with Trump.

But there’s nothing to debate when your party doesn’t have a platform

In fairness, they believe in tax cuts for the wealthy and making it hard for black peoples to vote in swing states.

The other problem with Not Trump politicians is they know they have to sound like Trump and when they try to sound like Trump they sound like Ted Cruz.

And no one likes Ted Cruz.

Trump is actually a moderate when the topic is vaccines. He created the monster and now even he can’t tame it.

NYTimes article saying the RNC is suggesting no Presidential Debates. I’m actually ok with it because they’re not worth it anymore. Especially with Trump.

But there’s nothing to debate when your party doesn’t have a platform
Trump is a "out saw on Facebook that they might cause autism" on vaccines.

The only reason why he's making this push now is because he's pissed he didn't get credit for the best thing he actually accomplished.

It has nothing to do with saving lives. It's 100% ego.

Correct. The man has no empathy. He will do and say whatever to promote or help himself.

Has anyone ever seen him laugh ?

Listening to some of the rally sound bites he’s even more incoherent than ever which is saying something. Probably a big reason why RNC wants zero debates

I'm seeing a lot of "the GOP has no platform" and "the GOP is a bunch of crazies" from this increasingly small echo chamber.
So, can I ask what the Democrats' platform is? Because I see it as the following five items:

1) If you disagree with any of my views, you are a white supremacist. Even if you are voting for a black female Republican to be Lieutenant Governor. Hell, even if you're black yourself. Vote Democrat, or else you hate black people.
2) What happened on January 6th was worse than 9/11, Pearl Harbor, and the Civil War combined.
3) We believe in science and the importance of wearing masks and social distancing. Unless we're going to a Nancy Pelosi fundraiser- then we don't need science. Or when we're attending the Met Gala. Or a BLM rally. The virus knows to stay away from those places, because they're important events. But your six-year-old needs to wear a mask all day at school and show vaccine proof to buy a Happy Meal.
4) Anything that cancel culture or the woke mob wants- you've got it. We're scared of you and will let you dictate all norms, actions and laws going forward.
#5) Republicans don't trust or accept election results, unlike us Democrats (Al Gore notwithstanding. Or Hillary Clinton. Or Stacey Abrams....)

And that's not me saying that. That's not Fox News saying that. That is the Democratic Party saying that. Look at the talking points, the ads, the content of the speeches- this is coming from leadership. So if the platform is more than those five things, I don't see it. It's not coming through in the messaging or from the messengers. Not that I have a problem with that. Seriously- please, please, please keep running on January 6th and nonexistent racism and "science" that you don't follow yourself but force others to. Please. And then wonder why you'll get profoundly rejected this November.

And yet, Joe Biden is the best you can do. Tell me that you at least have the awareness that if the 2024 nominee is Biden or Harris, you lose. At least be that intellectually honest. Or, too, if it's Hillary, for that matter (sad and scary that her name is starting to be thrown around, isn't it?). Certainly add Bernie and Warren to that list, and, of course, AOC. Honestly- who is your bench? Michelle Obama?

I live in Arizona. One of my Senators is Kyrsten Sinema. While I did not originally vote for her, I've been fairly impressed by her. She's one of the only Democrats (along with Tulsi Gabbard) who I would ever for a millisecond actually consider voting for. Prior to a couple months ago, I would have thought she'd be an attractive and formidable VP or POTUS nominee in the near future, and checks several boxes- only 45, from a swing state, LGBT+ member, etc. And yet, your side has completely destroyed her. And for what? There's no room in this extremist party for her anymore. Same with Gabbard. The GOP is constantly attacked for saying the radicals own the party. Look in the fucking mirror.

Do you ever seriously examine why the Democratic Party is so terrible right now? Look at the abysmal numbers. Biden's approval. Lord knows Harris's (sorry- that's just racism, right?). The number of people fleeing the party and fleeing blue states- see Gallup's recent look at this. This is historically, near unprecedentedly bad. Do you notice or care? Is there any real reflection or analysis going on?

I swear, if the party were to ask itself why it's numbers are so bad right now, and were given these two options:
A) I guess independents are turning more racist and Nazi-like
B) There might perhaps be an issue with Biden, Harris, Pelosi, and our current areas of focus on the policy front. Let's pivot and find some new voices and messages.
....they'd without question think it must be option A.

We were supposed to see some self-reflection after the beating in 2010. And 2016. And Virginia, etc a couple months ago. It's never, ever happened. The party has only doubled and tripled and quadrupled-down on crazy. And then they'll act shocked when DeSantis wins 35 states in a few years. But please- continue devoting your time to calling Trump a "slob" and trying to come up with a clever line of attack on DeSantis (or did you officially decide on DeathSantis?).

Again- what is your platform? What is a winning issue for you? Where have you pivoted? How are you attracting swing voters? What is your future?

And if you disagree with anything I just said, you are clearly a white supremacist.

Last edited:
It’s as if a massive COVID spending bill, Build Back Better, and Voting Rights don’t exist in this world this person lives in.

Biden has a big, aggressive agenda that isn’t passing in part because of two Senators.

What does one do with someone who thinks that the Democrats have no agenda when in fact they have a massive agenda that’s been criticized for being overly ambitious and for Biden thinking he’s FDR?

It boggles the mind.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a lot of "the GOP has no platform" and "the GOP is a bunch of crazies" from this increasingly small echo chamber.
So, can I ask what the Democrats' platform is? Because I see it as the following five items:

1) If you disagree with any of my views, you are a white supremacist. Even if you are voting for a black female Republican to be Lieutenant Governor. Hell, even if you're black yourself. Vote Democrat, or else you hate black people.
2) What happened on January 6th was worse than 9/11, Pearl Harbor, and the Civil War combined.
3) We believe in science and the importance of wearing masks and social distancing. Unless we're going to a Nancy Pelosi fundraiser- then we don't need science. Or when we're attending the Met Gala. Or a BLM rally. The virus knows to stay away from those places, because they're important events. But your six-year-old needs to wear a mask all day at school and show vaccine proof to buy a Happy Meal.
4) Anything that cancel culture or the woke mob wants- you've got it. We're scared of you and will let you dictate all norms, actions and laws going forward.
#5) Republicans don't trust or accept election results, unlike us Democrats (Al Gore notwithstanding. Or Hillary Clinton. Or Stacey Abrams....)

And that's not me saying that. That's not Fox News saying that. That is the Democratic Party saying that. Look at the talking points, the ads, the content of the speeches- this is coming from leadership. So if the platform is more than those five things, I don't see it. It's not coming through in the messaging or from the messengers. Not that I have a problem with that. Seriously- please, please, please keep running on January 6th and nonexistent racism and "science" that you don't follow yourself but force others to. Please. And then wonder why you'll get profoundly rejected this November.

And yet, Joe Biden is the best you can do. Tell me that you at least have the awareness that if the 2024 nominee is Biden or Harris, you lose. At least be that intellectually honest. Or, too, if it's Hillary, for that matter (sad and scary that her name is starting to be thrown around, isn't it?). Certainly add Bernie and Warren to that list, and, of course, AOC. Honestly- who is your bench? Michelle Obama?

I live in Arizona. One of my Senators is Kyrsten Sinema. While I did not originally vote for her, I've been fairly impressed by her. She's one of the only Democrats (along with Tulsi Gabbard) who I would ever for a millisecond actually consider voting for. Prior to a couple months ago, I would have thought she'd be an attractive and formidable VP or POTUS nominee in the near future, and checks several boxes- only 45, from a swing state, LGBT+ member, etc. And yet, your side has completely destroyed her. And for what? There's no room in this extremist party for her anymore. Same with Gabbard. The GOP is constantly attacked for saying the radicals own the party. Look in the fucking mirror.

Do you ever seriously examine why the Democratic Party is so terrible right now? Look at the abysmal numbers. Biden's approval. Lord knows Harris's (sorry- that's just racism, right?). The number of people fleeing the party and fleeing blue states- see Gallup's recent look at this. This is historically, near unprecedentedly bad. Do you notice or care? Is there any real reflection or analysis going on?

I swear, if the party were to ask itself why it's numbers are so bad right now, and were given these two options:
A) I guess independents are turning more racist and Nazi-like
B) There might perhaps be an issue with Biden, Harris, Pelosi, and our current areas of focus on the policy front. Let's pivot and find some new voices and messages.
....they'd without question think it must be option A.

We were supposed to see some self-reflection after the beating in 2010. And 2016. And Virginia, etc a couple months ago. It's never, ever happened. The party has only doubled and tripled and quadrupled-down on crazy. And then they'll act shocked when DeSantis wins 35 states in a few years. But please- continue devoting your time to calling Trump a "slob" and trying to come up with a clever line of attack on DeSantis (or did you officially decide on DeathSantis?).

Again- what is your platform? What is a winning issue for you? Where have you pivoted? How are you attracting swing voters? What is your future?

And if you disagree with anything I just said, you are clearly a white supremacist.

You aren’t a serious person who understands how government works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom