US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
also, we basically just got UBI for children.

where are the red roses of Twitter? you'd think they'd be dancing in the streets.
This has been my favorite campaign promise Biden has successfully followed through on. It's cool that my family is essentially getting another stimulus check this summer via the tax credit, but I don't need it the way so many American children need UBI for groceries. It's a moderate investment with a huge payout.

A true UBI would apply to every child so it's not quite that but it's absolutely a great boost for lower and middle class earners. It's also a huge psychological win - it's really hard, if not impossible, to run on the premise of taking money away from huge numbers of people. It's why something like this will probably stick around even post-Biden (but it's also why our bureaucracies are bloated and wasteful).

It's pretty amazing that the GQP really have nothing but faux culture wars and tax cuts.

GQP senator comes out today saying we really need to remove the death tax. Yes, cause it's really harming 99.99999% of the population.

The Dems really have an opening here because public support is so high for everything on their agenda (could probably throw out immigration cause no one knows what to do there).

Find a way around the Filibuster to get Voting Rights legislation passed. Then get $15 min wage. With post covid world hopefully not too far away the only way a GQP wins is through voter suppression tactics which is why the HR1 bill is so important.

Throw in Garland as AG will most definitely pursue all angles regarding the 1/6 coup attempt. The more info and charges that relate to that will only damage the GQP

It's pretty amazing that the GQP really have nothing but faux culture wars and tax cuts.

I suppose the one good thing about the Iraq War is that it’s taken “needless invasions” off the table for them. The Reagan playbook has been exposed for the grift it’s always been — use the culture war to get working class folks to vote for tax cuts for the Koch brothers.

Dr Seuss, Britney...gee you'd think we didn't have a pandemic, economic disaster, an insurrection two months ago wtf

CBS News

Pop star Britney Spears and her efforts to be free of a court-ordered conservatorship of her finances have landed an unlikely supporter in Congress: conservative Congressman Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida, who is wondering if Spears is being "overprotected" and whether authority over her finances should be returned to her.

In a toxic legal battle, Spears' case to wrest control of her finances from her father has sparked the viral hashtag #freebritney and was the subject of a recent documentary. Now, Gaetz and House Judiciary Ranking Member Jim Jordan, Republican of Ohio, are calling for a hearing on the conservatorship process.

"The most striking example is perhaps the case of multi-platinum performing artist Britney Spears," Gaetz and Jordan wrote in a letter this week to House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler, Democrat of New York. "Since 2008, Ms. Spears has been under a court-ordered conservatorship. The facts and circumstances giving rise to this arrangement remain in dispute but involve questionable motives and legal tactics by her father and now-conservator, Jamie Spears."

Honestly when the media started covering Meghan and Harry and the Royals 24/7, I felt like COVID could finally be coming to an end.

I'm not even going to dignify that statement with a response.

Pop star Britney Spears and her efforts to be free of a court-ordered conservatorship of her finances have landed an unlikely supporter in Congress: conservative Congressman Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida, who is wondering if Spears is being "overprotected" and whether authority over her finances should be returned to her.

On the one hand, this is a bizarre thing to read, but on the other hand, given how freaking strange the news has been in recent years, I'm also not entirely surprised? Strange bedfellows, indeed.

Honestly when the media started covering Meghan and Harry and the Royals 24/7, I felt like COVID could finally be coming to an end.

Ha, yeah, someone on another site I frequent said something similar. They said that given how the last few years have been so stressful in terms of news stories, people are just relieved to be able to talk about something that isn't the pandemic or whatever insane thing a politician said or did or whatever for a change.

tenor.png

Not sure where to really post thoughts on this but I guess it’s a politicized thing..

Disney + removed Peter Pan and Dumbo from children viewing profiles, but kept the movies unedited on adult profiles. They did put up a disclaimer before each movie clearly stating that there’s wrongful and very dated racial stereotypes in these movies. So basically Disney acknowledge things from the past were crappy but let the parent chose to show the movie to kids and maybe have that discussion as to why those things are bad. I think that’s awesome. However the right wing narrative is butt hurt and claiming cancel culture. Holy moly. It’s like oh merrr gerrrd they’re taking our racism away! Not really, it’s still there but is being provided modern context on how hurtful it was then and even now.

Last edited:
It’s so tiring and maybe thats the ultimate goal is to create general apathy.

The GQP, Foxnews, etc need to do these segments with the actual images shown, like Kevin McCarthy reading Green Eggs and Ham.....THAT WASNT ONE OF THE BOOKS PULLED!!

They wouldn’t dare associate themselves with the racist images cause they would be seen as defending them (which they kinda are anyway).

I do have a sliver of hope that as checks and better policies go out to Americans, especially the ones who need it, it can push america further from Q land and keep the sanity in charge for 2022 and 2024.

Dems have a real chance to destroy the GQP by helping people and who knows maybe a non crazy Conservative party can emerge

He has to go

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — An aide to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says the Democrat groped her in the governor’s residence, marking the most serious allegation among those made by a series of women against the embattled governor, according to a report published in a newspaper Wednesday.

The Times Union of Albany reported that the woman, who was not identified, was alone with Cuomo when he closed the door, reached under her shirt and fondled her. The newspaper’s reporting is based on an unidentified source with direct knowledge of the woman’s accusation. The governor had summoned her to the Executive Mansion in Albany, saying he needed help with his cellphone, the newspaper reported.

https://www.city-journal.org/the-miseducation-of-americas-elites

The Right screams about cancel culture so much that it takes away from normal conversations where is it going too far.

The above article was a interesting read. It’s kinda the Lefts version of authoritarianism in that if you don’t believe or follow our some rules you must be banished.

I’ll be fully honest, i still don’t fully grasp the whole “she-her, them-they” thing.

He has to go

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — An aide to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says the Democrat groped her in the governor’s residence, marking the most serious allegation among those made by a series of women against the embattled governor, according to a report published in a newspaper Wednesday.

The Times Union of Albany reported that the woman, who was not identified, was alone with Cuomo when he closed the door, reached under her shirt and fondled her. The newspaper’s reporting is based on an unidentified source with direct knowledge of the woman’s accusation. The governor had summoned her to the Executive Mansion in Albany, saying he needed help with his cellphone, the newspaper reported.

Yep.

There's just too many reported incidents now to think he could in any way just be an innocent old flirt.

He really projected himself well during March and April but then find out he’s writing a book about his response as he’s responding and it came off as douchey.

I hope whoever replaces him is a good fit

https://twitter.com/joshdorner/status/1369637725431808000?s=21

And this is why Fox will spend the next two years only focusing on this stupid shit.

The country wants this.

Now get Joe M to buckle on min wage. Want to show the minority communities thanks for busting their asses to save democracy

Raise their pay

Minorities are the only ones making minimum wage? That’s a rather racist assumption.

I thought a program providing “opportunity zones” for poorer communities to enact job training, better living situations, and a focus on upward mobility (which everyone has the chance to achieve, and happens every day) would be a better, healthier plan than just paying workers who aren’t good enough employees to earn raises, promotions, or have the drive to work a higher paying, entry level job, and work your way up.

You know, how anyone who has grown in their careers and livelihoods has done.

Instead, continue to reward mediocrity i.e. the Democrats platform

Minorities are the only ones making minimum wage? That’s a rather racist assumption.

I thought a program providing “opportunity zones” for poorer communities to enact job training, better living situations, and a focus on upward mobility (which everyone has the chance to achieve, and happens every day) would be a better, healthier plan than just paying workers who aren’t good enough employees to earn raises, promotions, or have the drive to work a higher paying, entry level job, and work your way up.

You know, how anyone who has grown in their careers and livelihoods has done.

Instead, continue to reward mediocrity i.e. the Democrats platform
10virus-us-briefing-hartisland-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

18 states (and DC) comprising over half of the United States' workforce have already approved minimum wage increases ranging from $12 to $15. As always, it's a plurality of flyover states representing a minority of Americans that's holding things back.

A minimum wage increase would make a dent in the gender pay gap, as roughly 6 in 10 people who would benefit are adult women. Still a long way to go as far as top earners are concerned, of course.

https://www.epi.org/publication/why-america-needs-a-15-minimum-wage/

Last edited:
18 states (and DC) comprising over half of the United States' workforce have already approved minimum wage increases ranging from $12 to $15. As always, it's a plurality of flyover states representing a minority of Americans that's holding things back.

A minimum wage increase would make a dent in the gender pay gap, as roughly 6 in 10 people who would benefit are adult women. Still a long way to go as far as top earners are concerned, of course.

Let’s see if i do this right

Are you saying women aren’t equals to men ? How sexist of you and the Democratic Party!!!

The only shot will be to introduce a gradual increase like the article you linked mentions.
Jumping from $7.25 straight to $15.00 is a big shock to the system of some small employers in those flyover states, so there's pretty much no chance of it going through as a one time hike all the way to 15.
But something has to get done, no increase in 12 years, I assume even in rural most areas of some of these states the cost of living has increased since 2009. To not account for that is criminal.
Possibly also consider some outside the box thinking for a lower than $15 minimum wage for teenagers so some jobs normally held by high school kids (baggers at supermarkets, fast food places etc.) can remain at a bit lower wage (not $7.25 though, maybe like $12.50 or so until you reach 18 or something) to make the increase more palatable to those sectors of business.
Can't imagine how anyone could consider less than $300 a week before taxes anything close to a living wage no matter what area of the country you live in.

Hold on everyone, the good Christian is here to tell you his sincere feelings on how you’re the real racists!! Just doing the lord’s work.

Dude. Stop.

It amazes me (although it shouldn't) that while it is possible to make a cogent argument against minimum wage based entirely on economics, gzus has to always, and I mean always, rely on the old tropes of lazy freeloaders who don't deserve $.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom