US Politics XXXII: Cancel my subscription to the insurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally giving their two weeks notice.

Are they resigning so they don't have to make the tough choice of 25th?

Articles of Impeachment are being passed around. Believed to have at least 100 signatures. Congress needs to open back up.

Remove this man before he does something extremely horrible.

These MAGAs are always going to be a threat. Ignoring what happened, or worse, praying it goes away, will not work. Follow the law, and if these terrorists want to act out, be prepared and take the necessary steps under the law to see they can't do it again.

If America is "wounded" right now, then we need the puss to come out to truly heal.

They’re resigning now because if in response to this event they do not disavow the administration they can kiss their political future outside of trumpism goodbye if he is impeached again or 25th’d. If Trump is removed he cannot run again, and I think it’s safe to say that anyone who goes down with his ship is in the same circumstance. Hence why Pence might actually consider the 25th... if anything from here on out happens like a repeat of yesterday, it’s game over for Pence’s political future. He isn’t Teflon Don - none of them are.

And by resigning they don't have to vote on the 25th - which suits them politically.

These people just kept their intentions so well hidden.

[TWEET]1347231898414837760[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1347231636983853058[/TWEET]

I am deeply skeptical about Congress being able to impeach.

One, the House had to conduct an investigation and the Senate had a week long trial last time, and there probably isn’t time to do those things in two weeks. Is Congress allowed to just say “fuck all that, let’s just vote”?

Two, you need 2/3 - 66 votes - in the Senate to remove him. Right now - Warnock and Ossoff are not seated yet - we have 48 Democratic votes. Are there going to be 18 GOP Senators willing to make that vote?

The 25th seems more likely.

It forces the Republican hands a bit, though. In the House, they would need to put their position on record. McConnell could choose not to bring the matter to the floor, but that in itself would be politically costly.

I am deeply skeptical about Congress being able to impeach.

One, the House had to conduct an investigation and the Senate had a week long trial last time, and there probably isn’t time to do those things in two weeks. Is Congress allowed to just say “fuck all that, let’s just vote”?

Two, you need 2/3 - 66 votes - in the Senate to remove him. Right now - Warnock and Ossoff are not seated yet - we have 48 Democratic votes. Are there going to be 18 GOP Senators willing to make that vote?

The 25th seems more likely.

Impeachment will make every one of those silent senators show their cards.

Chao will resign. Such a profile in courage.

Extra snuggle time with Mitch

1_McConnells-hands-spark-health-concern-Washington-USA-20-Oct-2020.jpg

What woman wouldn't want that.

I honestly don't think anything will be done.

The Republicans will be counting down the hours and wondering how much damage Trump can possibly caused when he's been totally isolated and social media networks are finally willing to cut him off. Nobody will organize a rally for him, and they'll do a risk:benefit analysis and conclude that it's better to pretend like everything is fine and wait him out.

The X factor are the members of the mob and what they do next but they seem very decentralized and unless the Trump children start inciting I'm just not sure they have what it takes to organize into anything serious.

One thing to keep in mind too is that there is a number of Republicans whom Trump has potential blackmail material on. Pay close to who is "outraged" but not enough to say we should invoke the 25th (looking at you Lady G)

Can impeachment hearings happen after his presidency is done? I think Impeachment is important because it would prevent him from running for office again.

I'd actually prefer that over the 25th amendment. If he's really fleeing the White House, I don't really think he's going to come out in public again for the next 2 weeks.

I honestly think the 25th is problematic in this context IF the goal is to prevent further carnage.

For Pence, who has now been declared a traitor by the mob, to start a process that puts him in the role of Acting President while Trump fights back (no way is he gong to agree that he's not competent mentally) would only further convince the lunatics that the "swamp" is against them and that this was all a coup and so on. They'd become unhinged overnight and would squarely turn on the remaining Republicans other than the current crop of standouts like Cruz and Hawley. I just don't see how this is in any way palatable to the GOP.

Well Pence is against the 25th, but it looks like the House will put articles of impeachment on the floor.

Reporter on CNN just said that if he was impeached Congress could then pass legislation declaring that he could never run again. That would be the ultimate goal.

No way is there enough time to impeach him now.

Reporter on CNN just said that if he was impeached Congress could then pass legislation declaring that he could never run again. That would be the ultimate goal.

No way is there enough time to impeach him now.

Sure there is. You don’t need a giant trial. Present the articles, take vote. Send to senate and let those traitors been seen by the world

Headache - is it "cancel my subscription to the
resurrection..." The Doors (not googled).

How are and your family today?

Irving? LN7? How r u?

Too tired to be more coherent for now. Later.

Totally fine. Kept my phone fully charged yesterday, just in case, but I’m far enough away that it was no problem. Thank you for asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom