US Politics XXXI-Lame Duck Obese Turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a psychiatrist either, but obviously I call him a narcissist all the time. He has all the traits. Unfortunately I have one in my family, so I'm painfully familiar.

To me he posted the get well wishes to Biden in order to egg on his followers to talk crap about Biden. For example, that Biden is so old and decrepit etc.

A narc will put on facades and some people will believe that they have a nice side, but there's always an ulterior motive. Always a scheme behind every word and action.

Thing about narcissists is that it’s not always a pejorative sinister disorder. Similar to you I have one in my family (one of my parents). Deludedly focused solely on them being the center of everything with an ego of greatness is a fair starting point for a narc.

Actually I have two in my family, both of my siblings. It's awfully difficult after losing both parents, there is no support there whatsoever.

And they each call the other a narcissist, while refusing to recognize it in themselves. It's exhausting and so very painful.

Actually I have two in my family, both of my siblings. It's awfully difficult after losing both parents, there is no support there whatsoever.

And they each call the other a narcissist, while refusing to recognize it in themselves. It's exhausting and so very painful.

I feel your pain, except it’s the reverse for me. I’m hesitant to say both my parents qualify because one of them is more likely bipolar (as is one of my siblings, who is diagnosed and actually tries to manage it). It’s particularly challenging because we are four independent kids who all grew up on the captainless ship (but particularly more true for the younger half of us).

We should totes have a mental health thread.

It hasn’t gotten as much coverage, but the SCOTUS ruling on NY state’s COVID restrictions as they relate to religious gatherings went 5-4 in favour of the conservatives. Of note - Roberts again sided with the liberal justices.

I feel your pain, except it’s the reverse for me. I’m hesitant to say both my parents qualify because one of them is more likely bipolar (as is one of my siblings, who is diagnosed and actually tries to manage it). It’s particularly challenging because we are four independent kids who all grew up on the captainless ship (but particularly more true for the younger half of us).

Having depression and anxiety myself, I feel so judged. I have done all the appropriate things for me to get help and treatment, but the judgement is always there. People don't understand the stigma until they experience it personally. Some people in the medical field don't get it either.

One of my brothers is a narc to the point that I believe he's capable of anything(including violence). He is a 50 something year old bully, and he's been that way since he was a teenager. I'm sure people in his life who fall for his act would never believe that. In his deluded world he has no mental health issues, and he makes fun of people who do.

I watched The Undoing on HBO, it's a good portrayal of narcissism.

If you or someone else chooses to start a mental health thread, I would be sure to use it regularly. I've been keenly aware of my (poor) mental health since I was a kid, but recently I've been making practical strides in addressing it.

If you or someone else chooses to start a mental health thread, I would be sure to use it regularly. I've been keenly aware of my (poor) mental health since I was a kid, but recently I've been making practical strides in addressing it.

That's all that matters, what you've done recently. I know how difficult it is to even take that first step. We tend to be so hard on ourselves.

My mental health hasn't been the way it could have been for a long time, I grew up in an abusive dysfunctional family. What's left of my family is still dysfunctional.

Back on subject-you're fired Bill Barr!

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General William Barr said Tuesday the Justice Department has not uncovered evidence of widespread voter fraud that would change the outcome of the 2020 presidential election.

His comments come despite President Donald Trump's repeated claims that the election was stolen, and his refusal to concede his loss to President-Elect Joe Biden.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Barr said U.S. attorneys and FBI agents have been working to follow up specific complaints and information they’ve received, but they’ve uncovered no evidence that would change the outcome of the election.

“To date, we have not seen fraud on a scale that could have affected a different outcome in the election,” Barr told the AP

Over/under on Bill Barr being fired is Thursday at 3:15 PM Eastern.
I'm going under with the news that he is investigating a bribery for pardon scheme ay the White House.

Of course he has

By Maggie Haberman and Michael S. Schmidt, New York Times Service
December 1

President Donald Trump has discussed with advisers whether to grant preemptive pardons to his children, to his son-in-law and to his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, and talked with Giuliani about pardoning him as recently as last week, according to two people briefed on the matter.

Trump has told others that he is concerned that a Biden Justice Department might seek retribution against the president by targeting the oldest three of his five children — Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump and Ivanka Trump — as well as Trump’s husband, Jared Kushner, a White House senior adviser.

It is FUCKED that Obama was getting roasted on twitter for saying this, but the outrage answered his question. They'd rather feel good among people they already agree with than get things done. And they'd rather use a snappy slogan than use a slogan that's less catchy but actually expresses the ideas behind it. The left is so fucking bad at communicating.

The other issue is that the GOP aren’t held to the same standard.

One of Trumps lawyers calls for the death of Chris Krebs and its met with silence or ignorance from the Right. Use any other example and it’s the same. Hell the President actively and currently trying to hold onto power and very few say anything

But Al Franken has a stupid photo of him and the entire Democratic Party destroys him.

When was the last time a GOP member was kicked out ? Hell, they let pedophiles run for office!

The Dems then have to constantly answer for Defund the Police and theres no clear policy. Some want the police completely abolished, others want reform. The confusion allows the media and the GOP to fear monger and control the message.

It’s unfair and I’m not sure what the answer is. Split the party but that would cost you winning another election and the stakes are way too high for that chance.

My fear is that Biden only temporarily stops the GOP authoritarian take over

The Dems then have to constantly answer for Defund the Police and theres no clear policy. Some want the police completely abolished, others want reform. The confusion allows the media and the GOP to fear monger and control the message.

It also doesn't help that people apparently can't be bothered to read up on this stuff themselves. I agree that it's clear at this point that the Democrats really need to figure out a better messaging plan, and that "defund the police" scared and confused a lot of people.

But at the same time, I mean, there's plenty of interviews out there with people who've been advocating for defunding the police, who explain it all very concisely. People could surely take five minutes out of their day to read/watch/listen to a couple of those and get a general idea of the concept. Apparently that's too hard for some people to do, though.

There's also the fact that anyone with any sense of logic and good faith and such, even if they weren't fully clear on the specific details of "defund the police", would still at least understand and realize that most of the people advocating for it were NOT advocating for total anarchy and a lawless state. But when some are already predisposed to not give black people the benefit of the doubt or hear them out on anything they want to say regarding civil rights issues in general, it's clear at that point that the real issue here isn't the messaging.

Last edited:
and obama will totally do all of those pro-worker things listed next to his face if only he ever becomes the president and his party controls congress.

Last edited:
and obama will totally do all of those pro-worker things listed next to his face if only he ever becomes the president and his party controls congress.

It’s kind of what he did for those first two years, before the GOP realigned into a suicidal opposition cult and won big in the 2010 midterms.

As an Acela/Green voter, I now see my 2024 dream ticket.

I think this is a party defined more by climate change response and the GND rather than traditional Greens.

(This is just something I pulled off Twitter and thought was entertaining — I don’t think this is that serious an attempt to reimagine the US as a multiparty democracy.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom