US Politics XXVII: Orange Super Spreader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I remain bullish on Georgia, we really need new polling from there! The last polls done were almost exclusively pre-debate, which means pre-Trump Covid, and WH cluster/joy ride/balcony stunt/batshit videos, etc...

The five polls taken averaged Biden +2.4.

I’m thinking we would see Biden break over the 3% mark, making it a better shot than OH, and IA and on par with NC and FL.

All eyes should be on Alaska and South Carolina as well. If this turned out to be a true blue tidal wave election, those two have an outside chance of being extremely close. Right now Biden is down 4.5 in Alaska and 5.5 in SC. Obviously Joe has love from SC voters and can get some reverse coattails from Harrison.

Last edited:
He honestly looks like he was heading to a casting call for The Handmaid's Tale and made a wrong turn.
Bwaahahahaaaa

Indeed :uhoh:
"Stop playing politics with people's lives."

I can hear my mom's laughter from her room. Really? REALLY? Woooooooooow.
Heh
Siri, is pink eye a symptom of COVID-19 infection.
snort!

My sis ordered one before they ran out.
LOL, that Biden tweet is great.

And if this debate does cause any shift, it'll likely continue to be towards Biden/Harris, 'cause lots of people are talking about how obnoxious and rude Pence was with his constant interruptions and talking over Harris and Page.
Definitely some more votes for Biden/Harris..

It's been pointed out that Paige ended up giving Pence more time. She was involved in some kind of Republican fund raiser I think before cv19.

I am shocked that someone from the Trump side would think or talk that way about a woman. Shocked, I tell you.
Shall I send you a strand of pearls to clutch?
:D

Refusing to do his job remotely, like the rest of us have been doing for 7 months now. Super relatable. Heckuva job. :up:
Keep saying, doing dumb stuff like that. :yes:

Some of the analysts mentioned that as a woman, and a Black woman, she couldn't be seen as "too aggressive or angry". Completely pathetic state of affairs, sadly it's still true. Look what was done to Hillary.

Even more offensive as a double standard given the behavior of the orange super spreader.
Absolutely.

imagine if BLM had a plot like this.
Possibly no plotter left alive.

Glad they got the scum slicks! Horrific stuff.

My conspiracy theory is Pence has the covid

And all this talk about us being a Republic is to butter the bread that will be the GOP states ignoring the votes and assigning EC to Trump

And all this talk about us being a Republic is to butter the bread that will be the GOP states ignoring the votes and assigning EC to Trump

There was a push for this against Trump back in 2016:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-college-final-vote-republican-electors-trump

I forget how much it was mentioned here back then. Can’t blame the GOP for mulling the idea after so many Clinton supporters were in favour.

But what are the consequences shown to faithless electors? Most states would fine or even replace them, but what if, say, Georgia allowed their representatives to pledge for Trump after Biden wins the popular vote? I’m not sure if Congress or the Supreme Court would have the final say.

Is there a valid reason to continue with this convoluted political theatre in the 21st century? I’m genuinely curious as it’s viewed with some bemusement from elsewhere in the world.

Imagine that... Pence lying about Covid because the administration is afraid of Nancy.

Gee so surprising

President Trump would interrupt coronavirus task force meetings with protracted and irrelevant “rants” about his coverage on Fox News, causing his aides to “look down at the floor” in embarrassment, says a former member of the task force.

Even Vice President Mike Pence would “look stressed” at those moments, said Olivia Troye, who until July had served as Pence’s homeland security adviser and top aide on the coronavirus task force, during an interview on the Yahoo News “Skullduggery” podcast.

“When the president goes off on these rants and he goes off topic, it’s really just awkward for everybody in the room,” she added.

Troye recently went public with her discontent over how the Trump White House has dealt with the pandemic, taping a campaign ad for an anti-Trump group, Republican Voters Against Trump and, despite being a lifelong Republican, announcing her support for Joe Biden, .

Speaking the day after the vice presidential debate between her former boss and Sen. Kamala Harris, Troye in her “Skullduggery” interview offered new details about uncomfortable moments during meetings of the COVID-19 task force. President Trump would enter and quickly go off topic to talk about politics and his media coverage. Among those who squirmed, she said, was Pence.

“There were times in discussions in the task force where there were some overt political influences and dynamics where the vice president tried to steer the conversation back to the data,” she said. “He respected the scientists. … For him, it was important to him to get the facts.”

But as Troye recalls it, Pence had little success reining in Trump. “There were moments where I saw his body language at times look stressed, at times he looked embarrassed at task force meetings when the president would attend,” she said.

Troye fleshed out one scene she has described before: a meeting in which Trump “sits down and he says, ‘All right, what do we have to talk about,’ and he’s looking through the agenda — then out of the blue, he says, ‘Did anybody watch Tucker Carlson yesterday?’ And goes off for 45 minutes. He talks about how upset he was about his preferred network and what they were saying. And then started to task people in the room. I remember him tasking Hope Hicks or saying to Kellyanne Conway, ‘Who is going to take care of this? Who is going to call them?’

“This is not a rare occurrence. He watches one network. He gets upset if they speak out against him, if they show any daylight between them and him or say anything that shows they’re not 100 percent supportive of him. … I remember looking down at my watch [and thinking], Are we going to get through anything about these decisions that need to be made.”

“We all sometimes looked away or looked down at the table or looked down at the floor when the president would go off on rants when we were actually supposed to be looking through numerous agenda items,” she said.

Among others who were visibly perturbed, according to Troye, was Dr. Anthony Fauci. She recalled one instance when a White House photographer was at one of the task force meetings and captured a revealing picture of Fauci that has never been released.

Fauci “had his head in his hands looking down at the table. That to me [captured] the entire essence of what these people were doing every single day. … I think the world of Dr. Fauci.” She also praised others on the task force, especially Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who was repeatedly “bullied” by the president’s political aides to manipulate the data or make decisions to benefit the president’s electoral prospects. “It was incredible that we had these assets to help us get through this. And they were constantly being undermined by the political inner circle to the president.”

LOL, I like the "I'm Darryl, and this is my brother Darryl..." comment in the replies underneath. Pretty much sums it up. Such an intelligent-looking bunch there, I tell ya...

ETA: Also love the person who referred to them as "Y'all Qaeda".

"Meal Team Six" was a good one as well.

this is perfectly normal and not at all crazy, especially on a day a group of boogaloo boys were indicted for wanting to kidnap a democratic governor and start a civil war

Ej1yWp3XsAA7Au9

A Fox News doctor will give Trump a medical evaluation tonight on Tucker Carlson.

Yes, this is real life.

This will be the cherry on top after the “largest virtual rally in history” he’s doing live on Rush Limbaugh’s show as we speak.

:lol:

But what are the consequences shown to faithless electors? Most states would fine or even replace them, but what if, say, Georgia allowed their representatives to pledge for Trump after Biden wins the popular vote? I’m not sure if Congress or the Supreme Court would have the final say.

SCOTUS News, Part I: States Can Punish Faithless Electors
The Supreme Court's docket for the current term included two cases related to faithless electors from 2016. One of those, Chiafalo v. Washington, involved three Washington state electors who voted for candidates other than Hillary Clinton, and who were each fined $1,000. The other, Colorado Department of State v. Baca, involved a Colorado man who voted for John Kasich (instead of Clinton), and who was replaced with an alternate elector by Colorado Secretary of State Wayne Williams. On Monday, the Court ruled 9-0 in favor of Washington, and 8-0 in favor of Colorado (Sonia Sotomayor recused herself). In other words, SCOTUS declared unanimously that states are free to punish faithless electors as they see fit.

This result was pretty much a loss for everyone, regardless of their feelings about the Electoral College. The plaintiffs who brought the case, under the guidance of Harvard Law's Lawrence Lessig, were trying to render the whole system absurd in hopes that it would motivate Americans to support the elimination of the EC. Obviously, that did not happen. And for those who thought they might at least exploit a loophole or two, say by passing a law that says that electors can only vote for candidates who release their tax returns, the Court specifically put the kibosh on that. Justice Elena Kagan, writing for the majority, declared that states cannot impose "new requirements on presidential candidates."

Meanwhile, for folks who think the Electoral College is fine and dandy, Monday's ruling didn't actually stabilize things all that much. It is true that states now have the Court's blessing when it comes to compelling faithfulness among electors. However, it is also true that only 32 states (plus the District of Columbia) have such laws. In 16 of those (plus DC), there's no actual penalty for going faithless. In another three, the only penalty is a fine. So, there are just 13 states right now—WA, NV, MT, UT, CO, AZ, NE, OK, MN, MI, IL, NC, and ME—where an elector who casts the "wrong" vote can be overruled. That's 124 EVs, leaving 414 for shenanigans. One day, a political party may decide that in an era where presidential campaigns cost north of $1 billion, paying $5 million per EV for, say, 100 EVs is a relative bargain.

The decision doesn't unambiguously say that a state can nullify an electoral vote that doesn't align with the state especially if the elector doesn't announce his or her vote in advance, although it didn't object to the Colorado secretary of state refusing to certify a faithless elector's vote and replacing him with an alternate elector. However, the decision does clearly say that a state can make faithlessness a crime and punish an elector after the fact. But if the fine is $1,000 that is not going to deter a lot of electors. Of course, if a state were to raise the ante a bit by making the penalty death by firing squad or 50 years in state prison, that might make most electors think carefully before going rogue. And as mentioned above, most states don't have laws that punish or replace faithless electors, so their new power to pass such laws won't matter if they don't want to. (Z)

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2020/Pres/Maps/Jul07.html#item-1

Who's matching 825%? Putin?

Q: Like you, I've subscribed to Donald Trump's mailing list since the beginning and find it an utterly fascinating experiment by Brad Parscale. Never before has a President let anyone test their entire list 10x a day. Whether it's effective for Trump will be determined, but I think we can all admit a bit of proprietary data envy when it comes to Mr. Parscale.

My question has to do with the number of "XXX%-match" emails that Team Trump has been sending out, especially the last couple months. A couple years ago, the matches were 200-400%. Now they're regularly at 800% for super special, long-time supporters like me and the 2 other e-mail addresses I've signed up for experiment's sake (none of which have contributed anything or offered anything that could be construed as support). How do such matches work, and how are they legal? Who is contributing the money? M.S., Megève, France

A: It is very difficult to answer this question using campaign filings, and the folks who use this stratagem consistently refuse to discuss it with reporters.

As you appear to suspect, it's likely that it's a scam. Or, if not a scam, a misrepresentation. The wording implies that, but for your $10 donation, the campaign won't receive the other $20 or $40 or $80 that you are "activating." But they don't actually say that. And if you donate $10 (not that you will), it surely will be "matched" many, many times by other donors. It's just that their donations are not, in any way, motivated by yours.

Most of the ways that this arrangement might be accomplished, if the matching worked in the manner that the e-mails imply, would not be legal. Campaign limits apply to any donations, whether they are "matching" or not. So, a super PAC, or a rich supporter, or a corporation could not provide the matching funds (beyond $2,800). The only plausible way it might be done is if the candidate were providing matching funds out of his or her own pocket, since candidates are permitted to make unlimited donations to their own campaigns. However, the two most aggressive practitioners of this trick (Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell) have not reported any personal donations to their campaigns so far.

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2020/Pres/Maps/Sep26.html#item-1

S.G. in Newark, NJ, writes: You had an answer about the "XX% matches" that political campaigns use to motivate potential donors. You pointed out several good reasons to be skeptical of such pitches.

Commercial enterprises often use similar pitches: "Buy this overpriced package of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs and Ginormous Foods will donate $1 to Worthy Charity!*" At some point I decided to read the fine print on these promises and discovered that almost always, the promised donation is limited to some maximum amount, regardless of the amount of product the company actually sells. I concluded that it's extremely likely the maximum amount is routinely reached, so my buying the product would likely enrich Ginormous Foods and mean nothing to Worthy Charity. I'd rather buy a cheaper product, donate to Worthy Charity myself, and take the tax deduction myself, thank you very much.

With political contributions, there are probably other considerations, but it's hard to believe that a campaign would forgo huge money from Rich Donor just because Small Donor didn't whip out the checkbook. I suspect that often these "matches," if they exist at all, come from sources that are legally acceptable. For example, a party's presidential candidate could claim a "match" from spending by the party's National Committee, which of course has its own fundraising apparatus.

V & Z respond: Agreed. The key is that the implication that "but for your donation, we won't get this extra money" is a deliberately constructed falsehood.

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2020/Pres/Maps/Sep27.html

Last edited:
Trump/GOP are desperate for another stimulus bill.

If this was Obama, 25 days before the election, McConnell would tell them to fuck off.

Nancy Pelosi should be very clear: It’s OUR deal on OUR terms and you need to bend the knee. She literally doesn’t have to give an inch. Get people the proper relief they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom