US Politics XXVI: Sorry you're not Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Survey Monkey just released a slew of state polls. The takeaway? Survey Monkey deserves the D- rating that 538 has bestowed upon them.

some examples

SC - tied :huh:
Rhode Island and PA both at Biden +7 :|
NC - Biden +8 :|
NM - Biden +2 :huh:
NV - Trump +2 :huh:
GA - Biden +6 :huh:
MO - Tied :huh:
MT - Biden +4 :huh::huh::huh:

It's absolutely insane. Reading Mary Trump's book while all this is going on, she literally lays out a playbook for this current behavior based on his behavior in the past. And she is a clinical psychologist.

Another tacky political rally insisted upon at a departed progressive's memorial.

Check.

Yeah, Trump is such a victim. Victimhood reigns supreme, page whatever in the narcissist's playbook. Cult leader narcissist manipulates his followers with the use of false victimhood, check.

Yesterday or today he called the late John McCain "Joe Biden's lapdog". All because Cindy McCain had the "nerve" to endorse Biden.

Another day, another tacky insult by Trump directed at a dead POW war HERO and brave warrior against brain cancer. Check. Cadet bone spurs strikes again. Losers, suckers, he prefers his soldiers not captured.

Last edited:
Another tacky political rally insisted upon at a departed progressive's memorial.

Check.

I was at the memorial yesterday, sweet pea. It was entirely dignified. It’s when the man who is attempting to rig an election and destroy democracy literally using her dead body showed up that anyone got upset.

Good to see you keeping up your anti-anti-Trump permission structures.

Last edited:
It’s a strategy. He’s not going to steal the election. He’s going to talk about doing it.

There won’t be a moment when Trump simply says “I’m taking over, votes be damned”. What seems to be clearly the plan is that they will use (Republican-packed) courts to prevent different types of ballots to be counted because of purported fraud. You are not looking at a coup with tanks in the streets, but Bush vs Gore with steroids. Not to mention stuff like what is already going on in PA, with a significant amount of mail-in ballots (this predominantly Dem-leaning) being dismissed on a technicality (you need to put an envelope inside another envelope now, which is different from what happened just months ago in the primaries thanks to the PA Supreme Court).

Given the margins in some of the tipping point states, this has clusterfuck potential.

It’s so considerate of Trump and his supporters to put us through this. Really. So appreciated. We can’t just have a regular fucking election.

Does anyone think the Trump campaign's talk about trying to fuck with the election results, and his open refusal to accept them, will be brought up in the presidential debate next week? 'Cause that'd be really interesting, seeing Trump have to openly try and defend or explain (or pretend like he didn't say anything about or support) such an idea.

I would seriously love someone to confront him with that during the debate, be it the moderators or Biden (or both).

Given the planned Biden spend in Iowa, you have to think that their internals are telling them it's within striking distance and has been for a couple of weeks. The big bonus there would not so much be the state itself as the Senate seat.

Seems like the midwest is shifting a bit more towards Biden.

Iowa is a big standout here. The average now has them tied here, where Trump won by 9.

i've been thinking this for a while. Obama cleaned up twice in Iowa. and Midwesterners are temperamentally much different than Southerners, who are much more bloodthirsty/resentful in general. they probably are sick of the chaos and would rather return to the relative civility of the mid-Obama years. it seems much more winnable than Texas, and probably more winnable than Georgia.

and as you say, with Ernst comes the Senate.

There's been a LOT of anti-Joni Ernst ads flooding our TV here in recent weeks. And I've been reading state and local papers from time to time lately, and if that very unofficial sort of study is anything to go by, a lot of people here definitely seem pretty well and truly fed up with the GOP right now. Their pathetic handling of the virus, which has led our state to have a particularly high number of cases, seems to be an especially sore point with a lot of Iowans right now. I've seen many a letter in those papers from people expressing frustration and anger with Governor Reynolds and Joni Ernst for caring more about bending to Trump's will than taking care of the people here.

And people seem pretty tired of Grassley, too, but in his case, that's more on a general level instead of anything specific. A lot of them feel he's long ago sold out whatever principles he once might've had.

So yeah, I am definitely hoping that's a sign of things to come.

Makes me feel good that Dems chant "vote him out" and not "Lock him up" like we see Reps do.

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to using the latter chant :p. But seriously, yeah, that's a great rallying cry as well.

And if anyone's bothered by Trump being booed at public events or things of that sort, well, hey, I'd say it's more than okay to boo a "president" who has shown zero interest in demonstrating any sort of responsibility, human decency, compassion, professionalism, competency, etc.

People are beyond fed up with Trump, and rightly so. If someone doesn't like that, tough. Suck it up and deal with it.

Last edited:
Does anyone think the Trump campaign's talk about trying to fuck with the election results, and his open refusal to accept them, will be brought up in the presidential debate next week? 'Cause that'd be really interesting, seeing Trump have to openly try and defend or explain (or pretend like he didn't say anything about or support) such an idea.

I would seriously love someone to confront him with that during the debate, be it the moderators or Biden (or both).

There's been a LOT of anti-Joni Ernst ads flooding our TV here in recent weeks. And I've been reading state and local papers from time to time lately, and if that very unofficial sort of study is anything to go by, a lot of people here definitely seem pretty well and truly fed up with the GOP right now. Their pathetic handling of the virus, which has led our state to have a particularly high number of cases, seems to be an especially sore point with a lot of Iowans right now. I've seen many a letter in those papers from people expressing frustration and anger with Governor Reynolds and Joni Ernst for caring more about bending to Trump's will than taking care of the people here.

And people seem pretty tired of Grassley, too, but in his case, that's more on a general level instead of anything specific. A lot of them feel he's long ago sold out whatever principles he once might've had.

So yeah, I am definitely hoping that's a sign of things to come.

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to using the latter chant :p. But seriously, yeah, that's a great rallying cry as well.

And if anyone's bothered by Trump being booed at public events or things of that sort, well, hey, if it's okay to boo football players who are quietly kneeling on the sidelines and not bothering a single soul, then I'd say it's more than okay to boo a "president" who has shown zero interest in demonstrating any sort of responsibility, human decency, compassion, professionalism, competency, etc.

People are beyond fed up with Trump, and rightly so. If someone doesn't like that, tough. Suck it up and deal with it.

You have what everyone wants: a swing state vote.

I encourage you and cheer you on as you do what you can to turn the state back to blue.

Good luck and go get ‘em.

New York(CNN)Mary Trump, President Donald Trump's niece, filed a lawsuit Thursday accusing the President and his siblings of committing fraud in order to deprive her of her interests in the family real-estate empire built by Fred Trump Sr.

In the lawsuit, filed in New York state court against the President, his sister Maryanne Trump Barry and the estate of their late brother Robert Trump, Mary Trump asserts that for the Trumps, "fraud was not just the family business—it was a way of life."

The lawsuit accuses her two uncles and her aunt, a retired federal judge, of conspiring amongst themselves and with several other parties, including a trustee appointed to act on Mary's behalf, to give her "a stack of fraudulent valuations" and force her to sign a settlement agreement that "fleeced her of tens of millions of dollars or more."

"Rather than protect Mary's interests, they designed and carried out a complex scheme to siphon funds away from her interests, conceal their grift, and deceive her about the true value of what she had inherited," the lawsuit says.

An attorney for the President, who is being sued in his personal capacity, didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. Representatives for Barry and for the estate of Robert Trump didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

I could listen to this all day.

"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"
"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

"...they hate my guts"

He’s making an excellent point here. People really do hate his guts. And he can list for us many, many reasons why they do. As he’s said, “you can use my words against me.” And they are, Ms G, they really and truly are. People hate your guts because you’re not just a terrible Senator who has lost interest in governing, but you’ve also revealed yourself to be a bad person.

The entire party is fucking deplorable. To the last one, rotten to the core.

Ohio is suddenly in play again.

wow. yeah. Two Biden +1 polls and the Fox News Biden +5 now has him at +1 on the 538 average in OH.

It does make some sense. I mean, I lived in southern Michigan for quite some time, and I would say that OH is definitely more like MI, or PA than it is a place like Indiana. You've got some three or four pretty large cities with large suburban areas. The rural parts are more red than MI, but, it's a diverse state that definitely could be won if Biden can continue making inroads with non-college white voters.
That said, this is what my support of a Biden candidacy was built around back during the primaries. I felt he would do well with the big 3 that went to Trump, and I had thought he might have some better chance in IA and OH. I felt kinda stupid these last few months, cause IA and OH seemed out of reach. But there does seem to be new life here for Biden.
Not sure if this is a blip in time, or if there is staying power. But getting OH would be huge. It would mean he would also easily win PA, and FL would be pure icing on the cake, and much more of a luxury.
Anyway, I think we are headed for polling silence for the next week or two, as they will wait to do post debate polls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom