Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 10:49 PM   #81
45:33

Local Time: 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
We were on the cusp of victory until the birds formed an alliance with the drop bears.

It’s a shame we also got dragged into America’s failed wars overseas the past few decades, if we could have got the birds past basic training it might have turned the tide in Vietnam.
On the plus side, any coronavirus vaccine will be administered free to every Australian by our conservative government wonder how much it will cost in the US!

Old 08-18-2020, 10:57 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Yuge ratings

https://mobile.twitter.com/TDucklo/s...13595952033794

Also. It’s fun knowing every time someone says Joe is just a good man, it’s simultaneously saying - remember, Trump is a literal piece of shit.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:01 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
On the plus side, any coronavirus vaccine will be administered free to every Australian by our conservative government wonder how much it will cost in the US!
It depends. If Biden wins it will be free. If Trump wins, it will be $200 and you will need to pay with a check made out to Our Dear and Magnificent Leader.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:24 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
We were on the cusp of victory until the birds formed an alliance with the drop bears.

It’s a shame we also got dragged into America’s failed wars overseas the past few decades, if we could have got the birds past basic training it might have turned the tide in Vietnam.

This silly little Aussie-American interférence war aside, I genuinely think it’s bullshit when any country party to a “coalition” says they were “dragged into” war.

Like please, the right thing to do is to oppose American aggression. You’re not a fucking victim. You’re party to it.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
This silly little Aussie-American interférence war aside, I genuinely think it’s bullshit when any country party to a “coalition” says they were “dragged into” war.

Like please, the right thing to do is to oppose American aggression. You’re not a fucking victim. You’re party to it.

The Australians shat the bed on this.

Chrétien was corrupt as fuck but even he could see that the Iraq adventure was going to be a gong show for Canada and politely declined.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:21 AM
Unquestioning deference to American foreign policy is a basic feature in Australian politics unfortunately. It's just something that's never seriously questioned.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Unquestioning deference to American foreign policy is a basic feature in Australian politics unfortunately. It's just something that's never seriously questioned.
It's interesting to me because Australia seems to go lockstep with the UK when it comes to US foreign policy adventures while at the same time having the lowest support for the concept of a continued monarchy/Commonwealth of other major former colonies. If there was every a mass exit, Australia would lead the way, much ahead of Canada. And politically and regionally, Australia has little to gain from its relationship with the US either (at least when it comes to joining military action).
Old 08-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #88
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Will it come with a 48 ounce can of Fosters?
Old 08-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #89
Blue Crack Distributor

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/...350785025?s=19

word is Trump also offered to package a conditional second round pick and the rights to Jay Buhner.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I could buy the argument that the centrist posture in the convention is designed purely as a tactical move, and does not compromise Biden's platform, which on paper is more liberal than any other recent years. I don't think it's a particularly good argument (have you seen the Democratic leadership's actions in recent years?), or that it's a particularly good tactic (we no longer live in an age where independents/undecideds are kingmakers because there are so few of these in the polarized politics era) but I'll grant that it's a possibility.

Optics aside, my sense - and the convention is just another data point - is that if Biden gets elected, Democrats will lead the revisionist process that will immediately point to the last four years as an aberration, and not as a natural consequence of various political and policy decisions they and the Republicans have taken over the years. In the name of bipartisanship and unity, they will offer Republicans a way to save face from their misguided choices these last four years - while not getting any meaningful conservative support for their actual policies. They will want to show that the US is back to normal, whereas the reasonable approach would be to question why they got to this place. For Christ's sake, they introduced John McCain as this honorable politician who could do bipartisan deals, forgetting that he chose Sarah Palin as his VP candidate, thereby introducing the contemporary template for Trumpism.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #91
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
I could buy the argument that the centrist posture in the convention is designed purely as a tactical move, and does not compromise Biden's platform, which on paper is more liberal than any other recent years. I don't think it's a particularly good argument (have you seen the Democratic leadership's actions in recent years?), or that it's a particularly good tactic (we no longer live in an age where independents/undecideds are kingmakers because there are so few of these in the polarized politics era) but I'll grant that it's a possibility.

Optics aside, my sense - and the convention is just another data point - is that if Biden gets elected, Democrats will lead the revisionist process that will immediately point to the last four years as an aberration, and not as a natural consequence of various political and policy decisions they and the Republicans have taken over the years. In the name of bipartisanship and unity, they will offer Republicans a way to save face from their misguided choices these last four years - while not getting any meaningful conservative support for their actual policies. They will want to show that the US is back to normal, whereas the reasonable approach would be to question why they got to this place. For Christ's sake, they introduced John McCain as this honorable politician who could do bipartisan deals, forgetting that he chose Sarah Palin as his VP candidate, thereby introducing the contemporary template for Trumpism.

This is probably accurate.

Being a good winner and not lining people up and putting them against the wall and pulling the trigger is probably the best way to go about making the country governable again. Presently, the federal government is barely functioning.

It reminds me of when Obama basically set aside the Bush administration’s torture program. If anyone in here was around back then, it was probably the thing I hated most about Bush/Cheney and often wrote fairly ballistic posts on the subject.

However, from a governing viewpoint, maybe what Obama did was the expedient thing to do, at least from where he was sitting. I found it very disappointing. But I’m not trying to govern a stunningly diverse country of 320m people. We aren’t 10m socially cohesive Danes living on a Penninsula in the North Sea.

It’s a difficult thing. From where you and I sit, of course I want heads on a platter, especially on the Russia collusion and children-in-cages. But the country also needs to function.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. But I’d also look at a split within the GOP. The Trumpers will go with him, and who will be left?
Old 08-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

That plus several vials of antivenin and a jug of SPF 300.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #93
Blue Crack Distributor

Delivered in a kangaroo pouch
Old 08-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post

If Dems win the Senate as well, do you think the revisionism you mention would still happen? In that case, the incentive to "reach across the aisle" would be significantly reduced.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #95
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Foster's is the vaccine.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/...350785025?s=19

word is Trump also offered to package a conditional second round pick and the rights to Jay Buhner.
Kushner liked Ken Phelps' bat.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #97
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Kushner liked Ken Phelps' bat.
Here's a guy who gets a reference
Old 08-19-2020, 02:17 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Assuming Trump and GOP actually leave office, they will call out for UNITY, and HEALING. This isn’t the time for partisan politics. We are united, America!! Blah blah.

And if Biden takes the bait then we won’t really make much progress.

What the GOP are becoming, with Lara Loomer winning primaries (doubt she wins in general), the Q folk

We will see another slow takeover a la Tea Party, and we’ve already seen what frauds they are and what they’ve become.

We cannot allow this new batch to ever get close to having power.

It’ll probably be tough to heal when the militias spend every day marching on DC with their guns in the streets too.

We have a lot of pain to go through before there can be any healing done.

But we must stop the bleeding.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

It reminds me of when Obama basically set aside the Bush administration’s torture program. If anyone in here was around back then, it was probably the thing I hated most about Bush/Cheney and often wrote fairly ballistic posts on the subject.
This also set in motion what was to come with Trump.

Letting these criminals walk away with ZERO consequence is not only immoral, but Banana Republic-ish. Where the president can behave like a monarch and his party like a band of criminals. Let the Dems roll over and see what you'll get in 2024.

The naivete of believing that the 30% of country that supports Trump is interested in good governance is just shocking to me.

Is there really no line in the sand?
Old 08-19-2020, 04:30 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So Trump follows his genius plan to piss off another swing state because of his delicate ego.
First Florida with Puerto Ricans and seniors, then Michigan, then North Carolina and now Ohio.

Calling to boycott the largest and one of only two American made tire companies.
Goodyear, based in Ohio and employing thousands of workers. Because if his hats.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamParkh...15859870679042

Closed Thread