US Politics XIX: Just an Echo Chamber Living In Your Heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d probably do the same.

The stories about how she treats staffers are appalling, IMO. Enough for me to take a pass on her.

I've seen too many (admittedly private sector) execs behave this way and have zero tolerance left.

The stories about how she treats staffers are appalling, IMO. Enough for me to take a pass on her.

I've seen too many (admittedly private sector) execs behave this way and have zero tolerance left.

So, yes, I fully agree with that. In my experience too.

But to me, she seems the best candidate to win right now. I think Bernie is a likely general disaster — most people at all income levels aren’t waiting for the revolution. Pete isn’t ready. Biden is a corpse. And I don’t think Warren would do well against Trump — he’s exactly the type of woman he’s take sexual pleasure in bullying.

So here we are. I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I’m also willing to believe that people can learn and do things better.

which site / poll are you referencing?

New Quinnipiac poll. Sanders takes the lead nationally,

Sanders - 25
Biden - 17
Bloomberg - 15
Warren - 14
Pete - 10
Amy - 4

The biggest indicator though is the change in black voter support.
Biden dropped 22 points down to 27%
And Bloomberg went from 7% to 22%

This means that before being in any primary or debate, Bloomberg is in 3rd place and second place with African American voters and rising.

Yeah, after I posted i figured it out haha.

And it is interesting. Bloomberg is definitely gaining and if Biden truly does fade, you can see his supporters + the others like Pete and Amy joining up with him. His focus over the last week or two has been to court the African American community, gaining endorsements from Mayors across the nation. If that continues, watch out....

I think he's got the best campaign going right now. Substance wise it's Warren, but they could all learn how to troll Trump like Mike.

Yeah, after I posted i figured it out haha.

And it is interesting. Bloomberg is definitely gaining and if Biden truly does fade, you can see his supporters + the others like Pete and Amy joining up with him. His focus over the last week or two has been to court the African American community, gaining endorsements from Mayors across the nation. If that continues, watch out....

I think he's got the best campaign going right now. Substance wise it's Warren, but they could all learn how to troll Trump like Mike.

Warren is definitely the best one of the field I think, when it comes to substance and competence. Firmly progressive with flexibility to take in broader views. I find it depressing she isn't doing better

I could see a Bloomberg/Klobuchar ticket. Bloomberg to mop up in the cities/coasts/Dem strongholds, and Amy brings in enough rural midwest, soft Trump voters to get WI, MI, and PA.
Possibly Bloomberg/Harris, but I don't really know if a California senator will have much of an effect.

Warren is definitely the best one of the field I think, when it comes to substance and competence. Firmly progressive with flexibility to take in broader views. I find it depressing she isn't doing better

I will echo this. In a different time, against a different Republican, I’d be a supporter. But I don’t trust her in a street fight against a literal Russian-backed mob boss.

It’s also telling that she began to plummet when she did what Bernie has never done — put numbers to the cost of M4A.

I will echo this. In a different time, against a different Republican, I’d be a supporter. But I don’t trust her in a street fight against a literal Russian-backed mob boss.

It’s also telling that she began to plummet when she did what Bernie has never done — put numbers to the cost of M4A.

Oh yeah. I think her biggest mistake was to hop onto Bernie's plan. If she would have had her own healthcare plan, that softened the edges of full M4A takeover and had that plan from the start. She may be doing much better.
Although, this was always going to come down to only one progressive candidate in the end.
And with Sanders having already had the history and infrastructure and support from 2016, it was probably always going to end this way for her.

Funny that in the NH coverage, they're saying that they are hearing a substantial amount of people that will tell them who they are voting for in the primary tomorrow, but that they think Bloomberg will be the nominee.
If Biden falls, and it is looking much more likely that he will. If he doesn't finish top two in NV and first in SC, he's gonna be toast. And i would really hope he would drop out sooner than later, I would say almost all Biden support would go to Bloomberg. Giving Bloomberg a huge amount of African American support, and probably boosting him a good 15 percent overall.
If Biden stays in through super tuesday... along with Pete and Amy.. God help us. It will be a fucking mess. Brokered convention would be almost assured.

I have a feeling that Bloomberg will be a bit more bullet proof than many other candidates would be.

No matter if there was somehow more dirt that could be dug up, beyond what reporters already did to try and stop him from jumping in in the first place. I think he will be much more resilient, and out of the top 6 right now, I don't think anyone comes close to him when it comes to taking it to Trump.

Anecdotally I think a lot of Warren voters will go to Bloomberg. I move in these circles and the ones I talked to are not considering Bernie at all.

It’s depressing that a competent woman yet again isn’t enough.

It’s appalling that a billionaire can buy his way in.

On the other hand he strips away all the country club republican votes from trump. And is willing to get deep in the trenches dirty. So whatever, this is the shitty world we inhabit and we continue to hope that maybe our daughters will see a female president in their lifetime.

The betting markets have Bloomberg at +275 to make it through the D primary and +700 to win the presidency.

If you have spare change....

Anecdotally I think a lot of Warren voters will go to Bloomberg. I move in these circles and the ones I talked to are not considering Bernie at all.

On the other hand he strips away all the country club republican votes from trump. And is willing to get deep in the trenches dirty. So whatever, this is the shitty world we inhabit and we continue to hope that maybe our daughters will see a female president in their lifetime.

You will, and her name is Nikki Haley, a woman for all of our daughters to be proud of. And she’s Indian-American, gasp!!

Welp, If the latest national poll isn't an outlier, I'm guessing Bloomberg is going to be the nominee

The odds are incredibly stacked against Bloomberg and a poll showing him in third isn’t enough. I would suspect this type of poll lends favorably to a brokered convention.

Some of these schlubs need to drop out. I don't think we need a reminder of the results of a primary split in too many ways.

Hallelujah! Seriously - the bottom 5 would free up about 8 points. And sorry Pete and Amy fans, but if they finish 5 and 6 in NV and SC, please drop out before super tuesday, which will be nothing but a trip through the wood chipper for you.

That would free up another 13 points.

So pretty much 21% of the vote total is being sucked up by candidates that will not win the nomination
i think Biden should drop out before super tuesday as well if he doesn't finish in at least a close top two in NV and SC.
Although i am guessing he won't.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Hallelujah! Seriously - the bottom 5 would free up about 8 points. And sorry Pete and Amy fans, but if they finish 5 and 6 in NV and SC, please drop out before super tuesday, which will be nothing but a trip through the wood chipper for you.

That would free up another 13 points.

So pretty much 21% of the vote total is being sucked up by candidates that will not win the nomination

i think Biden should drop out before super tuesday as well if he doesn't finish in at least a close top two in NV and SC.

Although i am guessing he won't.
If Biden finishes behind Pete tomorrow he should drop out. He won't, but he should.

I've seen people write that if Bernie doesn't win the nomination they won't vote or will vote 3rd party. It must be nice to be so brave & noble. Or so privileged that another Trump term won't hurt them. They must live on another planet.
Fucking THIS.

I've had occasional conversations over years where I'd ask what about the poor, POC(in general), the disabled etc wth these kind of people, or third party voters before the Internet made it easier to vote trade between states. Drove me bonkers to know the above groups of people would be sacrificed for that kind of stubbornness (only voting for their Dem candidate and no other).
:sad:

ha, they even have a cute nickname for the object of their hatred

They can go fuck themselves. I think Bernie is easily the best candidate but that doesn't mean that there are others that wouldn't also be good acceptable OR that getting the fascist out of office shouldn't be the priority. I don't know why these Bernie cultists can't understand that. Like, they think Bloomberg would be just as bad as Trump :doh: just because he's rich. They're absolutists and don't understand that there's a fucking scale of evil! Fore example, not all Wall Street devotees are made equally. Obama wasn't Bush. But try telling Bernie Bros that.

It's like they think that not only is this the only chance for sYsTEmicC ChAnGE but that it can only happen with Bernie. It's like they don't know how politics works or how history works. It's like they're children. But they're not. It's not possible to explain to them that things take time. Trying to talk to those people about nuance is just like talking to Trump supporters. Their minds are closed except to what they want to hear, and all that they want to hear is that they're victims and that they're better than everyone else.

It's like they've voting Bernie at people instead of for people. And if they don't get their guy they don't care what happens. They actually don't care about Nazis marching in the fucking streets, or about the climate, or about anything else except their own ego and grudge from 2016. To be clear, I'm only talking about Bernie supporters who will only vote if Bernie is the candidate.

Their obsession with Iowa and the "conspiracy" to fuck Bernie over is laughable. The same people who spent years demanding evidence that Russia was involved in the last election and then proceeded to disregard every piece of evidence that was presented because it wasn't strong enough are now running around believing something without any evidence to support it at all! It's ridiculous! And if you say "hey, is there proof? what is it?" they'll just attack you.

People who would sit out this election because they can't vote for Bernie are just as bad as people who vote for Trump. Maybe even worse because they pretend to care. Trumpists are open with their malice.

Should of put your caveat at the top.
I like Bernie. it seems that a certain portion of his supporters are nasty, and not thinking of the kinds of groups of people that they say they are concerned about that would be in more trouble if trump is reelected.

Apparently a small group of GOP Senators — Tillis, McSally, Portman, and Silly Susan Collins — begged Trump not to revenge fire witnesses.

But of course he stepped on their throats and shit in their faces after getting what he wants. Because that’s what con artists do.

It would be surprising, if he hadn’t been doing exactly this for 3+ years and there’s is a long list of bodies with his heelprint on their necks and orange shit on their faces.

What a bunch of humiliating losers, and shame on people who root for the bullies and the thugs.
Yup.

Can we impose a rule where no one compares pre-1964 Dixiecrats to modern day Democrats? The parties have switched, ie, Strom Thurmond.

It’s literally the laziest, stupidest thing you can say about American politics.

The old southern racists had left the Democrats by the 1980s and all become Republicans because the Republicans became more racist because they became the party of the wealthy and used racism to get poor people to vote for lower taxes because it would mean fewer social benefits for non-white people.
This.

When LBJ signed the Civil Rights Bill in ?'64, he said - there goes The South ie. the Dem Dixiecrats.

After we see the results come in tomorrow from NH, just like a nice normal election day. It will be funny how the media's obsession with the "CHAOS OF IOWA!!!!" "DEMOCRATS IN DISARAY!!!!" Is totally forgotten and moved past.
But it's always the crooked liberal media that Trump so hates that seems to have to blow up tiny things from Democrats into huge, days long disasters, and Trump's actual democracy shredding actions are just sort of accepted. "He's resilient," "not your typical president"... blah blah
Well, the commercial media anyway.

Oh yeah. I think her biggest mistake was to hop onto Bernie's plan. If she would have had her own healthcare plan, that softened the edges of full M4A takeover and had that plan from the start. She may be doing much better.
Although, this was always going to come down to only one progressive candidate in the end.
And with Sanders having already had the history and infrastructure and support from 2016, it was probably always going to end this way for her.
Makes me sad.

Trump doesn’t ask. He extorts.
And expects not loyalty but fealty.

:sigh:
Good point re the country club Republicans.

You will, and her name is Nikki Haley, a woman for all of our daughters to be proud of. And she’s Indian-American, gasp!!
Noooo, thanks. She's a Republican.

:hmm:

Last edited:
If Biden finishes behind Pete tomorrow he should drop out. He won't, but he should.

As a Biden supporter. I pray he finishes 4th or 5th. 5th would be better.
He needs bad enough numbers to bring down his numbers in the next two contests, and maybe, just maybe he drops by super tuesday.

Amy and Pete are heading for a flat, hard brick wall. Biden needs to fall now.

Shift the bulk of those points (around 33) to Bloomberg and lets get rolling.

Last edited:
Well, yea. They have zero rules anymore and will play to win at all costs.

Meanwhile Liz Warren's going on TV and refusing to give a reason why she's better ta Bernie because, oh my gosh, she told the truth once and got lambasted for it. Heavens.

The Republicans are playing to win and the Democrats are playing nice and discussing policy goals. In a sane and rational world voters would prefer to see thoughtful plans on how they'll pay for health care. That unfortunately is not the world we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom