US Politics XIX: Just an Echo Chamber Living In Your Heads - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2020, 10:22 PM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:09 AM
edit: never mind, the tweet i posted is apparently bullshit. my bad

DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Have watched just a bit of the debate, but Buttigieg's defensive stance about accepting money from billionaires is really bizarre. He says that Donald Trump raised $25M today alone and you need these moneyed interests to beat him.

If that's his argument, then Mayor Billionaire who could literally fund his entire campaign with JUST the interest made off his $62B principal is standing thattaway.
I kinda think it's all bizarre when it comes to the money thing. Yeah, I get it, just getting money from everyday people is admirable. Great.
But wherever this standard came from, where every candidate feels they have to only do a pure grassroots campaign, I believe is kinda stupid.

Should there be new rules set up. Hell yes. Citizens United gone. Yep. Should real, enforceable laws be put in place to get all dark money out politics. Should fundraising loopholes be closed? Yes and yes.

But I can't fault any candidate for fundraising under the current rules. I think that we had good candidates, like Booker and Harris that dropped out because they just couldn't fund their campaigns.

I say fundraise how you want and play on a level playing field as the other side. When you win, change the rules.

Then there's the question of if Bloomberg should be able to be in the race because he's a billionaire and spending all this money on ad buys.
Of course, wagging fingers and breathless scolding about billionaires ensued.

But really... WTF?!
Are we saying that there is an income cap on who can run for the Democrats for president?
Maybe like grassroots fundraising from every day people. The only ones that can run for president can be someone that makes the median income in the U.S.? Sound good?

I mean is Bernie having a few million in the bank too much? Warren's millions? Klobuchar's hundreds of thousands? How much is too much folks?

So a guy that made his billions from the ground up is off limits. He got TOO successful, too rich.
They hate the fact that he can spend all this money. But to bring out a terrible old phrase, Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Those are the rules right now and I think saying that being well off, or being a millionaire is ok, but if you hit some magical undetermined number, then all of a sudden you're not welcome anymore.

Again, The fundraising and spending rules need to change drastically and be enforceable. But until that happens, I think those that choose to go all grassroots, then that's their choice. But to make it seem like those that don't choose to go completely grassroots, aren't to be trusted and are tainted or whatever doesn't fly with me.

womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:25 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So, I unfortunatley missed most of the debate after getting all geared up to see it tonight.

What are some impressions? Who stood out?
The after show people are all saying Amy "bang"ed it out of the park. Sorry, bad joke.

Did Biden's prep work pay off? I'm guessing no.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:13 AM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Can anyone tell me what happened with Styer in South Carolina. Up through mid December he was at 4-5%. Come January, he jumped to 15, and the latest poll has him at 19%!

Seems something specific happened. But I have no clue.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:16 AM   #125
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Have watched just a bit of the debate, but Buttigieg's defensive stance about accepting money from billionaires is really bizarre. He says that Donald Trump raised $25M today alone and you need these moneyed interests to beat him.

If that's his argument, then Mayor Billionaire who could literally fund his entire campaign with JUST the interest made off his $62B principal is standing thattaway.
I'm not sure why that's a bizarre answer. It's a true answer.

The game sucks. I'm as in favor of overturning Citizen's United as the next guy. But those are the rules of the game, so if you want to win the game, you should probably play by what the rules are and not what you wish they were.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #126
Blue Crack Distributor

https://twitter.com/GettyImagesNews/...568634880?s=19

Y'all Qaeda
Old 02-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #127
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

I’m so sorry about their penises.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I’m so sorry about their penises.

Lol! That is truly terrifying though. Looks like some movie scenario but it's grossly real.

I don't know if @whitehousephoto is the official Trump WH photographer, but they actually posted this photo. Now, not so mysteriously, it's been changed to a black and white photo.

If it is an official account say bye bye to your job

Click image for larger version

Name:	EQOEOiuUEAAbOk8.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	12400
MrsSpringsteen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	EQP9yFPXUAEy5_N.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	12401
MrsSpringsteen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #130
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Macho men all decked out like wannabe soldiers.

While making sure their faces are hidden.
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
And the kicker?

People that walked into that building with no gun strapped on them, had to go through the metal detectors and security.
The ones that came in with masks and semi-automatic weapons got to bypass the detectors and get waved through.

Yeah.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure why that's a bizarre answer. It's a true answer.

The game sucks. I'm as in favor of overturning Citizen's United as the next guy. But those are the rules of the game, so if you want to win the game, you should probably play by what the rules are and not what you wish they were.

Bizarre in the sense that if his argument is that you need to have more $ (from moneyed interests) in order to have a fighting chance then by his own logic he’s not the guy, but Bloomberg is.
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Bizarre in the sense that if his argument is that you need to have more $ (from moneyed interests) in order to have a fighting chance then by his own logic he’s not the guy, but Bloomberg is.
I think like most politicians, he was given the non-answer, answer. Or at least deflecting it a bit.
Up to this point, Pete hasn't been able to get the same amount of individual contribution as Sanders or Warren. He knew he would have to do high dollar fundraisers to stay in the race.
And I think that he was right to do it. I wish that Booker and Harris would have done more of it, so we would have had a more diverse field these last couple months.

But you're right. It puts him in a pickle with Bloomberg. Because he has to take the big money to stay in, which looks bad in relation to Sanders and Warren, but Bloomberg has all the money in the world to spend and he doesn't need to take money from anyone, including moneyed interests.

So in the end, Bloomberg really is as pure as Sanders and Warren. He can't be bought. But Pete, just to stay in the race will have that blemish on his fundraising .

There was really no good answer that didn't either give Sanders and Warren a win ,or Bloomberg a win.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

P.S. - I've hit my Yang limit. i just can't listen to him anymore.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #135
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I think like most politicians, he was given the non-answer, answer. Or at least deflecting it a bit.

Up to this point, Pete hasn't been able to get the same amount of individual contribution as Sanders or Warren. He knew he would have to do high dollar fundraisers to stay in the race.

And I think that he was right to do it. I wish that Booker and Harris would have done more of it, so we would have had a more diverse field these last couple months.

But you're right. It puts him in a pickle with Bloomberg. Because he has to take the big money to stay in, which looks bad in relation to Sanders and Warren, but Bloomberg has all the money in the world to spend and he doesn't need to take money from anyone, including moneyed interests.

So in the end, Bloomberg really is as pure as Sanders and Warren. He can't be bought. But Pete, just to stay in the race will have that blemish on his fundraising .

There was really no good answer that didn't either give Sanders and Warren a win ,or Bloomberg a win.
Yea about that "I'm Bernie and I don't take money from corporations" thing...

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/6/...facebook-apple
Old 02-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

someone donating their own money to a political candidate means their employer actually made that contribution. lol okay sure, great take bro.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Yea about that "I'm Bernie and I don't take money from corporations" thing...

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/6/...facebook-apple

RIGGED!!! Saint Bernie can do no wrong. It’s why his supporters are so calm when you are critical of him
BEAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #138
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

Tupperware, after you store spaghetti in it.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
RIGGED!!! Saint Bernie can do no wrong. It’s why his supporters are so calm when you are critical of him
exactly what sin did "saint bernie" commit here?

apparently he should be telling the cashier at the apple store that he doesn't want their 50 dollar donation, or else he's a corrupt liar.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #140
Acrobat

Quote:
Yeah!!!.....Except the lack of dead people

Gzusfrk is online now   Reply With Quote