US Politics XIX: Just an Echo Chamber Living In Your Heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iowa turnout was down compared to 2016, just barely. But we’re being told that youth vote was up a few ticks so that means they’ll finally come out and vote this time!!

Also,

https://twitter.com/gzornick/status/1227276397862932480?s=21

Click on it to see what’s weird. Didn’t post the full photo
It also means that the people who actually vote in the general, old people, were not enthused enough by their options to turn out.

Or it could just mean that caucuses are dumb and should never be used as a kicking off event for an election.

Have either of you tried it?

Although I’m racist against whites and come from a red state, I grew up on NY-adjacent pizza and bagels so I do know the struggle, but there are some options in the DC-area. I’m just trying to help out.

But, really, the thing that DC people like to hear most is people from NY complaining that DC isn’t NY. Because they thought it would be?

Have either of you tried it?

Although I’m racist against whites and come from a red state, I grew up on NY-adjacent pizza and bagels so I do know the struggle, but there are some options in the DC-area. I’m just trying to help out.

But, really, the thing that DC people like to hear most is people from NY complaining that DC isn’t NY. Because they thought it would be?
There are a few options, but the game needs to be raised.

I'm always puzzled at the tradition of government employees resigning in protest when shady shit happens.

This is really the exact opposite of making something better.

Sure that might have made some sort of statement 10, 20, 30 years ago. But now, Trump is actively purging anyone that stands in his way of corrupting government agencies. If you resign, you're pretty much just making it easier for him... At least if he fires someone, it makes the news.

maybe I'm missing something.

And before we see tonight's results, Remember that because it's an open primary, MAGA shitheads are organizing to vote for Bernie. sigh. Gotta cheat for their orange god.

And before we see tonight's results, Remember that because it's an open primary, MAGA shitheads are organizing to vote for Bernie. sigh. Gotta cheat for their orange god.
I highly doubt this will be an issue that will push anyone over the top. You have to be undeclared or a declared Democrat prior to primary day - so there would need to be some planning that goes into it.

I'm more concerned over yet another tiny state full of old white people being given such a platform to shape our politics.

I highly doubt this will be an issue that will push anyone over the top. You have to be undeclared or a declared Democrat prior to primary day - so there would need to be some planning that goes into it.

I'm more concerned over yet another tiny state full of old white people being given such a platform to shape our politics.

True. Just like jamming the phone lines in Iowa was not the cause of the Dems fuckup. That was their own doing.

The concern about IA and NH being the first ones has got to spur changes. This is crazy when you think about it. 2 states with like 63 delegates with a 94% white population somehow determine anything? The worst part is that it artificially propels candidates who have no chance in the rest of the country. Most other super white states are solidly red, so this tells the Dems nothing about who does best in the general.

And its shaping up to make things even worse. With her sensible whiteness Amy K is probably going to be a close third making it more likely she goes onto super tuesday. And let's be honest, Pete would be nowhere right now if not for the order of these states. The longer all these people stay in, the more of a mess its going to be.

There are 155 delegates in the first four states. 1400 on super tuesday.

This is pretty interesting. The big story we keep hearing about is that this year, no one can make up their mind in NH! There are SO many this time waiting for the last minute.

Check out this interesting data

How The New Hampshire Electorate Has Changed Through The Years
ELECTORATE GROUPS
Chart shows %'s from 2004 2008 2016 and then the CHANGE 2004-2016
Liberal 46% 56% 68% +22 pts.
Age 65+ 11% 13% 18% +7 pts.
Age 18-29 14% 18% 19% +5 pts.
Coll. grad 55% 54% 60% +5 pts.
Women 56% 57% 55% -1 pt.
White 96% 95% 93% -3 pts.
No college 45% 46% 40% -5 pts.
Indys 48% 44% 40% -8 pts.
Decided in
last week 54% 48% 31% -23 pts.

Source: 2004, 2008, 2016 exit polls

Wow. First exit poll from NH. Age split 18 to 40 - 30% 40+ 70%

19-29 - 11% down 8 points from 2016

Maybe all those people were there just to see The Strokes last night.

i don't understand why the hell the dept of justice would meddle in the roger stone case like this and risk causing all these issues when trump could have just pardoned stone the instant the sentence was handed down and nobody could have done a thing about it.

You got some data for that?

And please, “actual sources” only.

You’re the moderator, go back to when Irvine said that Christians will kick a few gays , among other niceties. I shouldn’t have to remind you, but you didn’t care and don’t now when anti Christian bigotry is espoused here.

I was surprised/not surprised you didn’t ban him, anytime Irvine mentions Christians, just substitute Muslims, and see if you would step in.

Yeah, exactly.

You’re the moderator, go back to when Irvine said that Christians will kick a few gays , among other niceties. I shouldn’t have to remind you, but you didn’t care and don’t now when anti Christian bigotry is espoused here.

I was surprised/not surprised you didn’t ban him, anytime Irvine mentions Christians, just substitute Muslims, and see if you would step in.

Yeah, exactly.

i'd be willing to bet that at least 300 of your posts are just whining about the moderator or someone else here.

i don't understand why the hell the dept of justice would meddle in the roger stone case like this and risk causing all these issues when trump could have just pardoned stone the instant the sentence was handed down and nobody could have done a thing about it.

One angle is that they are trying to minimize the damage Trump can do on his own.

This is fucked up, but they must fear Trump would royally fuck things up.

You’re the moderator, go back to when Irvine said that Christians will kick a few gays , among other niceties.

here you go, pumpkin.

Background
Anti-LGBT groups on the SPLC hate list often link homosexuality to pedophilia, claim that same-sex marriage and LGBT people, in general, are dangers to children, that homosexuality itself is dangerous, support the criminalization of homosexuality and transgender identity, and that there is a conspiracy called the “homosexual agenda” at work that seeks to destroy Christianity and the whole of society.

Viewing homosexuality as unbiblical or simply opposing same-sex marriage does not qualify an organization to be listed as an anti-LGBT hate group.

Anti-LGBT groups primarily consist of Christian Right groups but also include organizations like National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH) that purport to be scientific. Anti-LGBT groups in America have employed a variety of strategies in their efforts to oppose LGBT rights, including defamation. Many leaders and spokespeople of anti-LGBT groups have engaged in the crudest type of name-calling, describing LGBT people as "perverts" with "filthy habits" who seek to "convert" or “recruit” the children of straight parents into a “homosexual lifestyle.”

Others link homosexuality to pedophilia and claim that LGBT people are threats to home and society. Others disseminate disparaging "facts" about LGBT people that are simply untrue — an approach no different to how white supremacists and nativist extremists propagate lies about black people and immigrants to make these communities seem like a danger to society.

More recently, hardline anti-LGBT groups have promoted “religious freedom” and “religious liberty” legislation and legal challenges to justify anti-gay discrimination.

2018 anti-LGBT hate groups
View all groups by state and by ideology.
*Asterisk denotes headquarters.

Abiding Truth Ministries (Springfield, Massachusetts)
Alliance Defending Freedom (Scottsdale, Arizona)
American College of Pediatricians (Gainesville, Florida)
American Family Association (Franklin, Pennsylvania)
American Family Association (Tupelo, Mississippi)
American Vision (Powder Springs, Georgia)
Americans for Truth About Homosexuality (Naperville, Illinois)
ATLAH World Missionary Church (All The Land Anointed Holy) (New York, New York)
Bible Believers Fellowship (Worthington, Ohio)
Center for Family and Human Rights (C-FAM) (New York, New York)
Center for Family and Human Rights (C-FAM) (Washington, District of Columbia)
Chalcedon Foundation (Vallecito, California)
Church Militant/St. Michael's Media (Ferndale, Michigan)
Concerned Christian Citizens (Temple, Texas)
Conservative Republicans of Texas (Houston, Texas)
D. James Kennedy Ministries (Fort Lauderdale, Florida)
Faith2Action (North Royalton, Ohio)
Faithful Word Baptist Church (Tempe, Arizona)
Family Research Council (Washington, District of Columbia)
Family Research Institute (Colorado Springs, Colorado)
Family Watch International (Gilbert, Arizona)
Generations (Elizabeth, Colorado)
Heterosexuals Organized for a Moral Environment (H.O.M.E.) (Downers Grove, Illinois)
Illinois Family Institute (Carol Stream, Illinois)
Liberty Counsel (Orlando, Florida)
Mass Resistance (Denver, Colorado)
Mass Resistance (Ft. Worth, Texas)
Mass Resistance (Torrance, California)
Mass Resistance (Waltham, Massachusetts)
Mission: America (Columbus, Ohio)
Pacific Justice Institute (Sacramento, California)
Pass the Salt Ministries (Hebron, Ohio)
Pilgrims Covenant Church (Monroe, Wisconsin)
Probe Ministries (Plano, Texas)
Public Advocate of the United States (Merrifield, Virginia)
Ruth Institute (Lake Charles, Louisiana)
Save California (Sacramento, California)
Stedfast Baptist Church (Fort Worth, Texas)
Stedfast Baptist Church (Jacksonville, Florida)
Sure Foundation Baptist Church (Vancouver, Washington)
The Campus Ministry USA (Terre Haute, Indiana)
The Pray in Jesus Name Project (Colorado Springs, Colorado)
Tom Brown Ministries (El Paso, Texas)
True Light Pentecost Church (Spartanburg, South Carolina)
United Families International (Gilbert, Arizona)
Verity Baptist Church (Sacramento, California)
Warriors for Christ (Martinsburg, West Virginia)
Westboro Baptist Church (Topeka, Kansas)
World Congress of Families/International Organization for the Family (Rockford, Illinois)

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/anti-lgbt

and those are just the extremists!

there's also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_therapy

i mean, i could go on and on and on and on and on.

as for kicking gays to get votes, it helped swing an election a few years ago:

https://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/02/ballot.samesex.marriage/

Yeah, exactly.
Have you discovered right wing bizarro world Interference yet, pumpkin? I think you'll fit right in. We're just an echo chamber of liberal tears over here.

Yeah, exactly.

I'm sorry, what was it you were saying recently about Democrats being the ones always playing the victim?

Anyone paying even the slightest bit of attention knows full well that the Christianity we rail against here is the religious right kind that tries to restrict the rights of LGBTQ people and regulate what women can do with their bodies and try and push their faith on everyone around them and things of that sort, not your average everyday Christians who are actually decent, respectful, kind people who know how to mind their own fucking business and genuinely live by Jesus' words of helping others. Get over it.

Joe Biden just said screw it and left NH several hours before polls closed.
Time to pack it in Uncle Joe.

To think, the GOP made the presidency a dictatorship in order to protect a thug who tried to cheat against a politician who won’t even be the nominee.

Joes a good man. He might have been the only one who actually could unite the party against Trump.

I HOPE Bernie is able to do it but he’s always been the outsider throwing his figurative bombs over walls. He’s never been one to unite.

While it’s still REALLY early, tough to see him losing momentum after tonight.

Though Bill Clinton didn’t win his first primary until the 6th one.

If Biden does drop out I’m curious how the southern states vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom