"Unfair" Persecution of the Intolerant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
GENEVA (Reuters) - People who criticise gay sexual relations for religious or moral reasons are increasingly being attacked and vilified for their views, a Vatican diplomat told the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday.

Archbishop Silvano Tomasi said the Roman Catholic Church deeply believed that human sexuality was a gift reserved for married heterosexual couples. But those who express these views are faced with "a disturbing trend," he said.

"People are being attacked for taking positions that do not support sexual behaviour between people of the same sex," he told the current session of the Human Rights Council.

"When they express their moral beliefs or beliefs about human nature ... they are stigmatised, and worse -- they are vilified, and prosecuted.

"These attacks are violations of fundamental human rights and cannot be justified under any circumstances," Tomasi said.

The Catholic Church has clashed increasingly in recent years with governments over sexual equality legislation. In Britain, it had to close down adoption services because they refused to allow same-sex couples to adopt orphans in their care.

It has also opposed the growing acceptance of same-sex marriage in several countries in Europe and the Americas.

Tomasi also said the Vatican believed in the inherent dignity of all human beings and condemned all violence against people because of their sexual orientation or behaviour.

"But states can and must regulate behaviours, including various sexual behaviours," he said.

"Throughout the world, there is a consensus between societies that certain kinds of sexual behaviour must be forbidden by law. Paedophilia and incest are two examples."
Vatican tells U.N. that critics of gays under attack | World | Reuters

I wonder if the Archbishop believe that states should extend their regulation against paedophelia by charging and arresting all those clergy who have engaged and covered up abuse around the world. Perhaps it could be through a UN resolution.

I really think that we should push this stigmatisation until society changes and these wicked institutions collapse.

Dangerous and ugly measures the Church is proposing. Part of the backlash they are experiencing is from both their overreach and their hypocrisy.

The Church does not hold exclusive right to moralize. They are entitled to their opinion. They should not expect to be immune from challenge. Those who vilify shouldn't be surprised when they vilify, particularly when they cover up the dirt in their own house rather than clean it.

a fairly pointless observation as presented
you could tack on this reply to every thread in interference.
Oh sure, a pointless observation that offers an alternative view of why these scenarios keep happening in the world. Why do you think things like these still occur?

The lack of exposure to the diversity of the world, and the nature of people that don't know how to deal with each other cause social issues like the debate between homosexual marriage. When catastrophic things finally occur, like the exhaustion of the natural resources where neither race or sexual orientation are involved, people will then change their priorities to solve the problems that actually have some significance. Worrying about homosexual marriage and attacking its opponents is meaningless, there are far more other problems in the world that need our attention in order to be solved.

Worrying about homosexual marriage and attacking its opponents is meaningless, there are far more other problems in the world that need our attention in order to be solved.

i agree about keeping issues in perspective and i will absolutely say that, yes, i am more concerned about tens of thousands being killed by a death wave in Japan than i am about gay people unable to get married in Montana, but i think i have more than enough energy and worry to be able to fret about a wide variety of issues and have reasonably developed opinions on all of them, the synthesis of which i then channel into a broader worldview and thus how i vote (and choose to spend my money).

When something opposes our civil and constitutional rights I think some "worrying" is perfectly justifiable. :banghead:

So did I understand this correctly...

the Catholic Church is trying to play victim?

Also, while incest is disgusting, who cares? It's not exactly a big issue.

People who criticise gay sexual relations for religious or moral reasons are increasingly being attacked and vilified for their views, a Vatican diplomat told the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday.

I agree and applaud the Vatican diplomat for having the courage to say it.

Hah, they're so victimized. Poor people, the Catholic Church is clearly oppressed by people who support homosexuality and freedom of sexual identity.

Say what you'd like about your views, but that's almost as stupid as complaining that somebody punched you, right after you just hit them first.

People who criticise gay sexual relations for religious or moral reasons are increasingly being attacked and vilified for their views, a Vatican diplomat told the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday.

I agree and applaud the Vatican diplomat for having the courage to say it.

What a load of horse manure. :lol:

Every single thing the Catholic Church believes is irrational psychobabble, and provably so.

The Vatican is not the only representation of the Catholic Church that should matter.

How do you mean? The Vatican is the only officially designated higher level authority of the Catholic Church. If individual Catholic laypeople or priests don't like it, then they should leave the church.

I guess we are at odds here.

I am not a a member of the Catholic Church,
but I agree with their stand against abortion and homosexuality.

I guess you only respond to posts that are in similar nature of your own, especially considering the way you post in the other thread.

What's your position on their stand against prosecuting child rapists in their midst, and failing to co-operate with the civil authorities in prosecuting said disgusting perverts?

When everyone agrees,
somebody is not thinking.

This is how I feel about the Catholic Church and your church's stance.

You just regurgitate what those in your church "teach" you, and they're just regurgitating what their grandparents "taught" them. None of you think for yourself. It's why you can't answer questions. It's why you show a lack of TRUE understanding of the Bible.

Back
Top Bottom