U S Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, shot at public appearance!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
09giffords-span-articleLarge.jpg

Congresswoman Shot at Event in Tucson
By J. DAVID GOODMAN
A congresswoman from Arizona was shot on Saturday along with several others during at public event at a grocery store in Tuscon, according to her spokesman, C.J. Karamargin. The Tucson Citizen reported that Ms. Giffords had been shot at close range in the head.

The condition of the congresswoman, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, remained unclear. She was taken to University Medical Center in Tucson, the trauma center for the area, about 10 miles away.

CNN quoted a public information officer as saying that 12 people had been injured in all.

The shooting occurred at a Safeway supermarket in northwest Tuscon as Ms. Giffords hosted an event, called “Congress on Your Corner," to allow members of the 8th Congressional District to meet her individually. She has held several events since first taking office in January 2007. At one such event in 2009, a protester was removed by police when his pistol fell on the supermarket floor. This was her first event since her re-election to a third term in November.

Last March, her Tucson office was vandalized a few hours after the House vote overhauling the nation’s health care system, the authorities said.

Earlier events in Tucson, Oro Valley, Green Valley, Sierra Vista, and Douglas had attracted between 75 and 150 people, according to a statement announcing the event.

Ms. Giffords was interviewed on Fox news on Friday to talk about a bill to cut to congressional salaries by five percent.

I was not very familiar with her, others at the event were shot, too.

Of course during the last election she was painted as a Liberal Soul Mate of Nancy Pelosi, she voted against her 40% of the time.

And then I found this, it may be the last thing she introduced in Congress

GiffordsPayCut.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us/politics/09giffords.html

Very sad. I haven't yet heard confirmation of her death, but being shot in the head doesn't bode well.

And let the unfounded blaming of the Tea Party commence.

Yes, the guy is in custody. People are dead, I guess there in no confirmation on her, I thought the radio said 'shot dead'.

edit.

T V news now says she is dead along with 6 others, including one child. MSNBC/ NPR news.

Foxnews is saying 4 dead.

When I first heard this story I was thinking "Oh boy, I can only imagine how much Tea Party bashing will be going on in the Tweetscape and online newsites we will be getting today" and low and behold, I have been seeing much of it within mear minutes. But to be fair, we haven't gotten all the information on this guy, we don't know if it was poltically driven. But for now I say RIP to her and the other people who were shot.

some one on MSNBC right now at Tucson's Univ. Hospital just said she is in surgery right now and is alive.

I hope she is, and makes a full recovery. I tried to change the title to; U S Rep Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, shot in head at public appearance!!

But, I have also heard news accounts that she was talking to couple when the shooter walked up (four feet) away and shot her in the head point blank.

this is a fast changing story so reports will be all over the place until an official spokesperson(s) can hold a press conference and clarify what her condition is and everything else related to the shooting. I'd be surprise if she lives. Press conference will be at 1:30 this afternoon.

I agree, typically I stay away from fast breaking stories like these.

In a reasonable time, the dust will settle and all the speculation that is being included (some by me) will dissipate into thin air.

sarahpac_0.jpg

this may have nothing at all to do with the disgruntled American right. i am certain everyone is horrified.

but when you ratchet up your rhetoric to such an extreme degree, can we be surprised when eyes do turn towards those who have been so shrill these past two years?

^ it appears she was in the cross hairs. of the tea party.

and it may have absolutely nothing to do with it. for the good of the country, i hope there's no connection there.

but we should all be reminded of the gross inappropriateness of the rhetoric that has become part of political discourse in recent years.

sarahpac_0.jpg

this may have nothing at all to do with the disgruntled American right. i am certain everyone is horrified.

but when you ratchet up your rhetoric to such an extreme degree, can we be surprised when eyes do turn towards those who have been so shrill these past two years?

Is this really our first concern here?

There is no evidence whatsoever this was politically motivated. If you (general "you") use your head and look at Giffords' broader record (pro-gun rights, owns a gun herself, applauded putting Guard troops on the border, critical of the administration's lack of border security efforts) you'll see that she is far from a major Tea Party target. If anything, the likelihood is much, much greater of the shooter being an illegal immigrant than a political extremist. I even heard an unconfirmed report that the shooter is African-American, which, by your guys' definition of the Tea party, pretty much eliminates that possibility, does it not?

While I don't think Palin is literally looking to shoot people, there are plenty of wackos out there who are willing to start another Civil War.

I believe this is only the beginning of a lot of trouble.

God Bless America :down:

sarahpac_0.jpg

Agreed about the racheting up of rhetoric as a general point, but using that relatively innocuous poster is a piss poor example, TBH.

If anything, the likelihood is much, much greater of the shooter being an illegal immigrant than a political extremist.

really? illegal immigrants commit crimes at much lower rates than Americans, especially African-American males in their 20s. but i'm reading that he was white and clean shaven. http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theti..._theticket/report-congresswoman-giffords-shot

i'm very excited for the indignation and created sense of victimhood already coming across on the right wing sites.

my point, again, was not that this was politically motivated at all. but, how can you act all indignant when people assume there was a political motivation given the irresponsible rhetoric and imagery used by the right wing as evidence in the SaraPac image above?

sarahpac_0.jpg

Palin has taken the image down from her page.

"Sarah Palin has the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district and when people do that, they’ve gotta realize there are consequences to that action." - Representative Gabrielle Giffords - March 25th, 2010

Back
Top Bottom