U S apologizes for racist past, slavery and segregation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Senate apologizes for slavery, segregation
WASHINGTON - The Senate has unanimously passed a resolution apologizing for slavery and racial segregation in the U.S. and sent the measure to the House.

Democrat Tom Harkin first introduced the measure years ago but wanted it passed Thursday on the eve of Juneteenth, June 19, a day of celebration commemorating the end of the Civil War in 1865 and the release of African Americans from slavery. He said the House is to take it up soon and that a formal celebration will be held next month.

Juneteenth Day events are held in communities around the U.S. to commemorate the day in 1865 when Union soldiers landed at Galveston, Texas, to announce the Civil War was over and that slaves were free.

Seems like this should be automated or something by now. You know, put it in a task scheduler or something on the congressional servers. Once a month, or once a year (pick your day -- juneteenth or whatever) automatically compose the bill (update with new congress number, year, etc..) generate the bill automatically, present it automatically, and the congress can put their vote in ahead of time (unanimous). Likewise, the papers can automatically report on it, since it will essentially be the same story.

Am I being snotty about this?

I thought the U.S. government had already done this in the past. But, I could be wrong. Anyway, if not, it's about time. I have certainly benefited from having friends and family members of diverse ethnic groups.

Good thing Congress is apologising for racism now that it's obvious that they have solved the problem of racial inequality and everybody is on the same playing field.

it dose not hurt

and many conservatives want to cancel the voting rights act, using this one event to claim racism is over

and there is this tidbit

Blacks after the Civil War enjoyed many privileges that their predecessors could only dream of. They could vote, hold office and attend school. New Orleans, Louisiana, was one of the more integrated cities in the South. It desegregated its streetcars in 1867, began experimenting with integrated public schools in 1869, legalized interracial marriage between 1868 and 1896, elected a total of 32 black state senators and 95 state representatives, and had integrated juries, public boards, and police departments

1870 - U.S. Senator: Hiram Revels

1870 - U.S. Representative: Joseph Hayne Rainey

1872 - Georgia Governor: P.B.S. Pinchback

By 1872 we have Blacks serving as U S Senators, U S Congressmen and Governors of former slave States.

Back
Top Bottom