Too Fat for the Boy Scouts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Genetics controls a lot, but the fact is that energy intake versus energy expended is what controls fat, how easily you put weight on, or how strong your appetite is, may be largely genetic, but if you are eating about as much as you expend you won't gain weight.

While some of us are able to gain weight more easily, and have a harder time getting it off, that issue pales in comparison to eating nachos for lunch and burgers for dinner. If you consistently control your energy intake over a decent period of time then you will get results.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdiet.html

Genetics controls a lot, but the fact is that energy intake versus energy expended is what controls fat, how easily you put weight on, or how strong your appetite is, may be largely genetic, but if you are eating about as much as you expend you won't gain weight.

While some of us are able to gain weight more easily, and have a harder time getting it off, that issue pales in comparison to eating nachos for lunch and burgers for dinner. If you consistently control your energy intake over a decent period of time then you will get results.

The Hacker's Diet

Well yeah, but my point is that a lot of overweight people do not overeat - in fact, I know people who have very similar diets, but because of their genetic make-up, some are able to stay rake thin, where as some put weight on without indulging in ice cream, nachos, burgers etc. daily.

To summarize, it's harder for some to stay at a healthy weight than others, and saying "all fat people eat too much" is an unfair oversimplification.

Having a slow metabolism doesn't mean you're not overeating if you get overweight, though, because balanced energy input/output is by definition relative to the individual. Unless perhaps one has one of the very rare genetic disorders mentioned in your link, if your caloric intake exceeds your energy needs, then you're overeating, period.

I do think that invoking moralistic language like "gluttony" is not a particularly constructive way to make this point.

Having a slow metabolism doesn't mean you're not overeating if you get overweight, though, because balanced energy input/output is by definition relative to the individual. Unless perhaps one has one of the very rare genetic disorders mentioned in your link, if your caloric intake exceeds your energy needs, then you're overeating, period.

I do think that invoking moralistic language like "gluttony" is not a particularly constructive way to make this point.
I suppose, yeah. You've pretty much nailed it with that second bit there.

I don't see why it would even matter how much genetics controls metabolism or weight gain. Bottom line is someone that is severely overweight should not be doing long, difficult hikes because they are putting themselves and the rest of their group at risk.

I don't think anyone was saying it mattered with regard to the Scouts policy, that was just a separate tangent that developed around the issue of how people become overweight/obese.

I think the Scouts policy is ill advised.

It seems they draw a line - this BMI is OK, that BMI is not.

So if a man weighs 275 his BMI keeps him out.

And a man at 274 may just hit the acceptable BMI.

I probably would not want the second on the outing either.
If he has a heart attack, are the Scouts liable?

My BMI is around 24, well within the acceptable range.
If I try to hike 5 miles up a hill, I may require medical attention.

If I were a Scouts dad or stepdad I would exclude myself, even though I look reasonably fit. I am out of shape.

edit to add

I checked their chart, I am within their recommended range.
I could gain 53 pounds and be within the maximum allowable. :huh:

But 54 pounds, would exclude me.

listen here,

yes, you have beautiful muscle or body structure

fatbastard.jpg

but, the BMI is great

we need a guide, we all need to be on the same page

many want to argue the fact that different people process food differently and our bodies convert it to fat differently

or that portions are too big now, 2 and 1/2 time the size they were 30 - 40 years ago

or that Americans do not walk anywhere, they take a cab 3 miles to walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes or ride an elevator up 15 floors to hop on a stair master for 20 minutes.

or we can not buy gas, go into the office, or any check out line without junk food practically force fed to us.

it the grand scheme of things

it is only calories consumed verses calories burned

if it is on your body, it only got there one way, by your hand putting it in your mouth,
over and over and over again.

so BMI is good, we need a common measuring stick.

there is an acceptable good range,
big bone and reasonable muscles can put one higher in the good range :shrug:

There are a few places around Seattle where you can buy Coca-Cola made in Mexico, and it's made with real sugar.

I bought one from a mobile taco truck that's near my workplace, and one sip took me right back to being 10 years old, sitting on the porch with my dad and drinking a Coke out of the bottle, back when it was Coke with real sugar.

So yeah, I approve of Pepsi's new drink, even though I don't like Pepsi.

I think the Scouts policy is ill advised.

It seems they draw a line - this BMI is OK, that BMI is not.

So if a man weighs 275 his BMI keeps him out.

And a man at 274 may just hit the acceptable BMI.

I probably would not want the second on the outing either.
If he has a heart attack, are the Scouts liable?

My BMI is around 24, well within the acceptable range.
If I try to hike 5 miles up a hill, I may require medical attention.

If I were a Scouts dad or stepdad I would exclude myself, even though I look reasonably fit. I am out of shape.
:up:

to make this a policy is indeed ill advised

besides it also seems a bit random
why only have a policy re. someone's weight?
why not also make them do an iq and eq test
surely as important when going hiking with a group of scouts as your waistline?

Back
Top Bottom