Tipping Point - Sexual Harassment In America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trump's right on the case of the Lauer firing on Twitter too. I should just go to his Twitter for all my news. He never sleeps, so it's all in real time and factually accurate.

If Stephanopoulos is next I really give up.

I guess if you do the math with the other two morning shows, he'd seem likely. But there were rumors about Lauer being a sleeze in the past anyway, so maybe not.

I'd be crushed if Lester Holt had anything in his closet, but he appears to be one of the good guys at NBC yet. Thinking Willie Geist will be the one to step in on Today as well.

Garrison Keillor can apparently be added to the list, too:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...over-alleged-improper-behavior-172230971.html

I've heard of him, of course, but I don't really know much about him, so this news surprises me. Maybe it won't be surprising to others, though.

Trump's right on the case of the Lauer firing on Twitter too. I should just go to his Twitter for all my news. He never sleeps, so it's all in real time and factually accurate.

Yeeeeeeeah, Trump really should keep his trap shut on this issue.

Now that people are feeling more emboldened to speak out, and now that we've seen some action being taken with some of these accusations, I honestly do wonder if that means Trump will soon be in line to get dealt with as well. I know with the way the Republican Party's been behaving in regards to Trump thus far, it's hard to have much faith they'd actually get on board to actually do anything about him, but still.

The important thing is that nearly half the voters thought the pussy grabber in chief was just a-ok. :|

The important thing is that nearly half the voters thought the pussy grabber in chief was just a-ok. :|

Well as we're learning, seems like at least half the population apparently is guilty of similar or worse.
Pretty soon it'll be easier to track the folks in DC and Hollywood who haven't been accused of some sexual misconduct or harassment.

What a joke seeing the clip of him sitting with Bill O'Reilly recently asking him about his harassment issues. Lots of hay will be made over that, and rightfully so.

I'd say NBC was enabling him. 20 million bucks a year and a helicopter to fly him back and forth to his mansion in the Hamptons. Not to mention how they allowed him to treat Ann Curry.

I saw a lot of people bringing up Ann Curry today, and talking about how vindicated she might be feeling.

I just can't get over these guys who seem to think it's totally okay to go around exposing themselves to random women. Unless she's your girlfriend or your wife, no woman wants to see your junk, for cripes' sakes. Keep it in your damn pants. How is this not an easy, simple concept to understand?

(And oh, my god, I just saw a clip of Lauer interviewing O'Reilly a few months back, asking him about his own sexual harassment claims. Wow. Just...wow.)

Last edited:
There's a video clip going around of Barbara Walters interviewing Bette Midler in 1991, and she straight up said Geraldo and another guy shoved her into a bathroom and groped her.

I'd love to see that shitstain go down. Fox News apparently tweeted a "um, this is not ok" in response to his tweet today.

And Geraldo Rivera weighs in with his thoughts on the Matt Lauer situation:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...-lauer-calls-journalism-flirty-005846373.html

Speaking of tools who need to put a sock in it...

I guess I'm just old, but I have an extremely different definition of what flirting is. I know it's 2017, but that Matt Lauer stuff is not flirting. Plus workplace, so it's clearly defined. Well it's supposed to be.

Someone posted portions of the Variety article for Geraldo and highlighted them. Something tells me Geraldo is the next creeper to fall.

Locking women in your office via remote button isn't "flirting" either. That's what Lauer allegedly did. NBC really helped to create a monster there.

Attachments

• DP1HLq0VwAIGKYz.jpg
    DP1HLq0VwAIGKYz.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DP1HHaQVwAAnZhc.jpg
    DP1HHaQVwAAnZhc.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 21
http://people.com/tv/matt-lauer-lewd-comments-meredith-vieira-pinched-katie-couric-butt/

http://people.com/tv/matt-lauer-ignored-female-staffers-source/

"For the most part women served no purpose for him unless he was attracted to them"

I'm so glad women exist just to be considered attractive by Matt Lauer. Enjoy the rest of your miserable life Matt. I feel sorry for his kids. And his wife. She decided to stay with him and that's her choice that's none of my business. They didn't even live together.

Lauer sounds like a special sort of dirtbag. So gross.
He does. I see that Tom Cruise interview in a new light now. Matt really was glib. And Tom shines by comparison. Unless he's a creeper harasser as well. I still have my crush on him and I always will. Unless he's a creeper harasser.

Basically it sounds as if NBC should have changed its' name to MLN, the way they kissed his butt. Talk about a massive ego, it might even be larger than Trump's - who knows.

He does. I see that Tom Cruise interview in a new light now. Matt really was glib. And Tom shines by comparison. Unless he's a creeper harasser as well. I still have my crush on him and I always will. Unless he's a creeper harasser.

Basically it sounds as if NBC should have changed its' name to MLN, the way they kissed his butt. Talk about a massive ego, it might even be larger than Trump's - who knows.

I don't watch morning shows ever and so I really have no sense of how big/important Matt Lauer was, but it strikes me as so bizarre to let such a cancer fester for all these years. The journalist from Variety said that the current and past anchors all knew about this - either had been officially told or were gossiping about it. Which makes the on-tv reaction so fake too. But to basically foster this type of poisonous work environment for Matt Lauer, for God's sake he's not the Pope...

I don't watch morning shows ever and so I really have no sense of how big/important Matt Lauer was, but it strikes me as so bizarre to let such a cancer fester for all these years. The journalist from Variety said that the current and past anchors all knew about this - either had been officially told or were gossiping about it. Which makes the on-tv reaction so fake too. But to basically foster this type of poisonous work environment for Matt Lauer, for God's sake he's not the Pope...
They only care about money, the corporate people and his co anchors. Apparently they thought no one would watch The Today Show if the great one/supremely attractive man wasn't on it. I never liked him, that's why I never watched that show. When I ever watch morning tv it's usually CBS This Morning. Occasionally GMA.

Honestly the tearful Savannah Guthrie reaction made me nauseous. I don't get it. I get if you hold a man in really high esteem and you find that out. But did she really do that? She never heard the stories? I wonder if he left her alone because he didn't consider her attractive. She was probably the only one who was too high profile and had any kind of power remotely near his. But nobody did, they acted as if he was running that network. And boy did he take advantage of that.

Rumor is he had an affair with Natalie Morales, I think she was a co anchor for a while.

I guess I'm just old, but I have an extremely different definition of what flirting is. I know it's 2017, but that Matt Lauer stuff is not flirting. Plus workplace, so it's clearly defined. Well it's supposed to be.

Yeah, I sure as hell don't consider any of that crap flirting, either. It's not romantic, it's not endearing, and it's damn sure not acceptable. It's pathetic, stupid, and creepy.

I feel bad for his wife and kids, too.

I too would be all for seeing Geraldo fall. He thinks he's all it, and he desperately needs that ego of his knocked down a few dozen pegs.

Locking women in your office via remote button isn't "flirting" either. That's what Lauer allegedly did. NBC really helped to create a monster there.

That whole thing with the button is super creepy. As Headache notes, apparently these buttons were a common thing for employees in general, but still, in this case, it just makes my skin crawl and really does read as "Bond villain" material.

Certainly explains their treatment of Trump now, too, doesn't it?

I only ever bother to watch a morning show if a musician or actor I like is on there. And even then, I fast forward through the parts that don't involve that celebrity, because four hours of people chatting about crap I don't care about is just...no.

But yeah, I don't get this intense desire to bend over backwards for guys like Lauer, either. No one person should have THAT much pull with a company, to where they can skate by and do whatever they please and get everything they want.

Honestly the tearful Savannah Guthrie reaction made me nauseous. I don't get it. I get if you hold a man in really high esteem and you find that out. But did she really do that? She never heard the stories? I wonder if he left her alone because he didn't consider her attractive. She was probably the only one who was too high profile and had any kind of power remotely near his. But nobody did, they acted as if he was running that network. And boy did he take advantage of that.

I saw somebody making a good point in another discussion about this elsewhere, where they suggested we stop having the women of these shows coming out and making these tearful comments about it, and make the guys who got in trouble be the ones who have to face the camera and admit on air what all they did. And I'm inclined to agree. Having the women on these morning shows come out and comment like this kinda reminds me of the politicians who would make the tearful public apologies about affairs with their wives standing next to them (because apparently their wives weren't feeling embarrassed and humiliated enough by their husband's behavior, I guess. To say nothing of how it reads as the guys going, "See, look how supportive my wife is. Look how much I love her.").

Even if the women making these comments at these stations claimed to have no problem with the guys who were let go, claimed to be friends with them, the fact remains that women in general at those networks had to put up with so much crap thanks to these jerks. So let's let the guys who actually did the crime be made to feel awkward and embarrassed for a change, and make them face the music on their own, with nobody standing there to back them up or show "support". Make them acknowledge their behavior, and don't let them get away with some faux apology.

That whole thing with the button is super creepy. As Headache notes, apparently these buttons were a common thing for employees in general, but still, in this case, it just makes my skin crawl and really does read as "Bond villain" material.

Exactly. I understand having a lock in general for a lot of things, especially if these TV personalities have to change clothes during long hours or have bigger-than-general offices with lots of things that need to be protected, etc. But for the life of me, I can't understand why they need a desk button. Maybe if the person had a disability or something or if it was a fancy contraption which had a bunch of buttons that "do everything", but even then... a bit of a stretch, no?

Exactly. I understand having a lock in general for a lot of things, especially if these TV personalities have to change clothes during long hours or have bigger-than-general offices with lots of things that need to be protected, etc. But for the life of me, I can't understand why they need a desk button. Maybe if the person had a disability or something or if it was a fancy contraption which had a bunch of buttons that "do everything", but even then... a bit of a stretch, no?

Security. Even the anchors at the Weather Channel have stalkers and get death threats. 7 years ago someone walked into the Discovery Channel world HQ strapped with bombs and held several TLC executives hostage.

Security. Even the anchors at the Weather Channel have stalkers and get death threats. 7 years ago someone walked into the Discovery Channel world HQ strapped with bombs and held several TLC executives hostage.

Right, and someone brought up the whole 9/11-NYC aspect of it too, with NBC was on the receiving end of some threats way back when. I am curious to see if that's a common thing all-around now, just in general.

And like I said, if it is a big office or whatever structure-wise, I kind of get having that as an option it it's all-around. Still seems a bit unusual though.

jpLUMET2-jumbo.jpg

Ms. Lumet appears to be an incredibly strong and dignified young woman.

again, last week Mr. Simmons thought he could make this go away,
now he seems to step aside,
I wonder if this is an isolated incident with him?

Last edited:
Ever hear of an active shooter? I hear they're a thing now.

Back
Top Bottom