Tipping Point - Sexual Harassment In America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CNN reporting that Hill staffers have to sign non disclosure agreements about sexual harassment that are so broad that they state you can't even talk to family and friends or a therapist about it. That's absolutely insane.

CNN reporting that Hill staffers have to sign non disclosure agreements about sexual harassment that are so broad that they state you can't even talk to family and friends or a therapist about it. That's absolutely insane.

I don't think that would hold up legally (particularly getting psychiatric care, which is medical attention. Somebody should break it and let them challenge that in the courts if they want.

Hearing today revealed that two current members of Congress are sexual harassers. Including one who grabbed a woman's private parts on the House floor. There is a list by women for women of unwritten rules for women working there. About elevators, about a creep list.

Paul Ryan announces sexual harassment training for Congress. I guess they've been too busy doing nothing for years to worry about such trivial matters.

Do we really think members of congress need sexual harassment training?

Like... that's like saying "congratulations you've been elected to office. We are happy to send you to law school as a result."

Do we really think members of congress need sexual harassment training?

Like... that's like saying "congratulations you've been elected to office. We are happy to send you to law school as a result."

I would think that all members of any workplace would benefit from sexual harassment training.

I would think that all members of any workplace would benefit from sexual harassment training.

Yes, we require all our employees (12,000 of them) to complete it as part of Code of Conduct training annually, why should the Congress be above that? Clearly they may need it more than front line workers.

Yes, we require all our employees (12,000 of them) to complete it as part of Code of Conduct training annually, why should the Congress be above that? Clearly they may need it more than front line workers.

When did I say they were above that?

It's absurd that someone can be elected to office as a leader and need to be taught something they should hold as a core value.

I'm sorry but if any single member of congress needs to be taught what's appropriate and what's inappropriate conduct sexually in the workplace, they should never have been elected to office in the first place.

I'm sorry but if any single member of congress needs to be taught what's appropriate and what's inappropriate conduct sexually in the workplace, they should never have been elected to office in the first place.

Well but you can say that about somebody who is a CEO of a multinational multi-billion $ company and yet what you and I may consider common sense flies out the window.

The guys exposing their junk are obviously totally out to pasture but usually this type of training is aimed at more subtle sexism or harassment in the workplace. And that is not completely obvious to everybody like it should be.

I think we should expect more from politicians. It's just the unfortunate reality that they're in fact politicians, and highly prone to being sleazeballs under the mask.

Still. Fuck that. This is like forcing a child to say sorry only to get an obvious "ok can I go now?" type response. Should force them up on the podium and require they all give five minute speeches on sexual misconduct in America.

Everyone should go through training every few years, no matter the position.

Damn you for posting this in a serious thread. Such easy jokes to be made, but must resist.

And as for Congress, while I get what LN7 is saying about that they should be of high enough moral character that they'd already know about sexual harassment, we've seen that its clearly not the case, in fact politics seems rife with the type of folks who need training and reminders. (And prison in some cases)

Look this training isn't only about telling adults what they should know already... it's also about training people on what the warning signs of harassment and abuse are, how to make reports, etc etc.

This type of training has changed drastically over the past 10 years, and continues to evolve. Everyone in any major organization should undergo this training every few years. In fact, many insurance agencies are requiring it now.

Increased training is how we avoid future Harvey Weinsteins, Catholic Church, Penn State situations.

Last edited:
Damn you for posting this in a serious thread. Such easy jokes to be made, but must resist.
JvkY2t.gif

Training isn't just about learning new things, it's about reminders to people who may not give it a lot of thought. Out of sight, out of mind, and all that. I re-train my team members on core skills for their jobs, I don't see the problem with re-training on core values for Congresspersons.

Do I think it will move the needle? Not at all. But it's not an absurd thing to implement.

Remember when we had to teach someone in here that it actually is condescending/insulting for a man to tell a woman to “smile more”?

Lots of men (and some women) really do need this stuff to be taught to them.

Yes I really hate that smile more thing. I can't believe anyone wouldn't understand why that's offensive. I had a guy in high school who did that to me constantly, back then I didn't know why it was offensive. He started early I guess -)

Are men ever told to smile more? Any man in here? By a woman.

I mean probably yeah. I have mega resting bitch face though. So, probably mostly my mother telling me to [emoji23]

I know you know this, so it's not meant to be condescending-but your mother doing it isn't the same thing. I think that's a Mom thing that most everyone gets.

No one should be telling strangers, employees, coworkers to smile more. I've had random stranger men say it to me. Smiling isn't a requirement for job success. Nor is it any stranger's business. To say it to a stranger violates boundaries and makes the person feel like a child.

It's creepy too. If that's some sort of pick up line some people should find a new one.

The woman who just ran for President got the criticism that she should smile more. I don't remember which male candidates got that. I know Trump commented on appearance and hand size.

If we’re talking like a creepy you should smile more, no. Not that I remember anyway. But I’ve got like resting serial killer face or something so I’ve definitely been told to smile it’s not so bad, in an incredibly irritating “har har I think I’m funny” sort of way, and that’s been 1) pretty evenly split on coming from men and woman and 2) no difference whatsoever depending on whether these are people who thought me to be female or know me as male.

But holy hell have I heard some casual “just between us guys” sexist shit. I mean, I’ve seen articles where trans guys are like “since I transitioned it’s amazing what cis straight guys will just say to you in casual conversation especially if they assume you’re just another straight dude.” Not an exaggeration.

Back
Top Bottom