Local Time: 06:30 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politi...010/index.html

MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I think people know the difference between awkward come ons and harassment and more. Without getting into all the gory details. I'm an awkward person too, it's not just men. But I definitely know the difference.
Yeah, I have to agree here and found that comment a bit odd.

I've been hit on by "awkward" men, including one who at the same time attempted to date me and my best friend, even showed up to our houses on Valentine's Day and gave us identical gifts (he must have been truly dim to think that we wouldn't have discussed it??). But at no point did I think that they were harassing me, I knew immediately that they just have the typical social graces you'd expect of adult men. It would be one thing if they crossed the line, but none of them did, they just sort of accepted defeat and moved on, awkwardly.
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #104
Blue Crack Supplier

This is just unfathomable that a supposedly intelligent grown man could say this:

Quote:
As far as I know, he was in a bedroom with a 14-year-old. Kevin Spacey was 26, boy 14. One wonders where the boy’s parents were,” he said. “One wonders if the boy did not know what would happen. I do not know about you, but in my youth I have never been in situations like this. Never. I was always aware of what could happen. When you are in somebody’s bedroom, you have to be aware of where that can lead to. That’s why it does not sound very credible to me. It seems to me that Spacey has been attacked unnecessarily.”
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

^

Yeah, makes you think he's next.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #106
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
This is just unfathomable that a supposedly intelligent grown man could say this:

Just add it to the long list of Morrissey wtfery.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I understand what you mean and I think you come from a good place, here and generally with your views, but I can't help but notice that the concern here is 100% with men, socially awkward or otherwise. It is just kind of...tiresome from the other side to see this. Kind of how when racism gets discussed and instead of going in depth on the implications for people of colour we concentrate on how it affects white people when they are accused of racism even though they may not be true "n-word racists" but something a bit less.

I hope that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I agree. It comes across to me as if "awkward" men are somehow being victimized by all of this. I think people know the difference between awkward come ons and harassment and more. Without getting into all the gory details. I'm an awkward person too, it's not just men. But I definitely know the difference. Like someone mentioned it's about sex being seen as "icky". Honestly I just didn't get that at all in the context of harassment and assault.
I have seen men use their inherent awkwardness to excuse bad behavior, as well. And it makes it harder for others to call them out on it because they're unsure of what they're seeing at any given moment.

It all comes back to the fact that you need to understand the world outside your own head.
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
It's disgusting. What about Heather Unruh ' s son in that bar too, he should have known that Spacey would do that to an 18 year old right in the middle of a public place? A guy he just met and he somewhat idolized him because of his fame. I bet Morrissey would blame her son and say he shouldn't have been drinking with Spacey in that bar because he was underage. Or he should have known what happens in bars when you drink. Just like any random woman shouldn't have been wearing a short skirt, shouldn't have gone with that guy. Etc etc etc victim blaming.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

aaaand now it's Charlie Rose
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:30 AM
It looks really bad

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...=.f04b1aeb6e0f
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

He says "I always felt I was persuing shared feelings". Did he ask them first? That's a suggestion. He thought that about at least eight women? And he says he didn't realize that wasn't the case until now. Dude you're 75.

I don't want to read the details. Ick.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

While I agree that this conversation must be focused on the harassed, I also think it’s important to give men something to do to help, whether that be a way to behave better or the space to admit wrongdoing in the past.

Some of these stories, like this one from Slate, seem very, very far removed from Weinstein:

Quote:
McGann published text messages between the 50-year-old Thrush and the friend of a 23-year-old woman who said she had been left “in tears” after resisting Thrush’s advances after a colleague’s going-away party in June. In the messages, the friend confronted Thrush, who apologized but said he had “spent the better part of 20 years advocating for women journalists.” He also said he "got drunk because [he] got some shitty health news" but needed to “be more understanding of the power dynamics in casual situations.”

In another instance, a young Politico staffer in the winter of 2012–2013 said she and Thrush wound up drunk and at her place after a Politico going-away party and that she stopped him and reminded him he was married. A third woman told McGann that after a 2013 Politico party, Thrush “suddenly ... leaned in and landed a wet kiss on her ear.”

McGann wrote that in her own case, Thrush had no formal power over her. “But he was an incredibly influential person in the newsroom and in political journalism, a world I was still trying to break into in a meaningful way at the time,” she wrote. “Thrush, just by his stature, put women in a position of feeling they had to suck up and move on from an uncomfortable encounter.”

So we’ll see how this pans out. A story like this seems like a general ed example of how we should behave better in a workplace situation, but that’s about it.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:30 AM
Senator Franken seems to have a problem

Woman says Al Franken inappropriately touched her in 2010 - CNNPolitics
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Gayle King and Norah O'Donnell just talked about Charlie Rose on CBS This Morning. One of the most honest discussions I've ever seen on tv. Especially considering how awkward it must be for them.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-re...-politics.html
Old 11-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:30 AM
The Charlie Rose thing is just...ye gods. Seriously, what in the hell is it about some guys that they think they can just expose themselves for the hell of it like that? What about "keep it in your pants" is so fucking difficult for some people to comprehend? I don't get it.

As for Morrissey, he needs to just...not talk anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Fwiw, I love your posts! Based purely on your posts I have an impression of a really clever, kind, interesting soul who uses their ears more than their mouth.
Course, in the flesh you may be an obnoxious fanny! 😉
LOL!

Thanks for the kind words .
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

I really wish some of our old posters were around now so we can ask them about how they said sexism is all blown up by feminists and the media and "mansplaining" was a feminazi term, etc. Maybe now they are starting to see what women live with day in and day out. And we are talking mostly about "polite" and educated and upper class individuals here...just imagine what women in the lower socioeconomic groups have to put up in their workplaces and homes.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Here is the misogynist-in-chief chiming in:

Quote:
“Roy Moore denies it— that’s all I can say.”

In fact, "He totally denies it."
Old 11-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor

Just like Pootie!
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I really wish some of our old posters were around now so we can ask them about how they said sexism is all blown up by feminists and the media and "mansplaining" was a feminazi term, etc.
I don't 🙈🙉🙊😕 My older brother is the absolute worst mansplainer I have ever met. He has zero idea how obnoxious it is.

Attachment 1