Tipping Point - Sexual Harassment In America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well said, MrsSpringsteen. Rose McGowan has actually been asking people to be "gentle" toward Asia

Just so wrong, she shouldn't be doing that. And I would never ever discount the reality that abuse victims sometimes become victimizers themselves, it's an oft proven tragic reality . But if that's going to be used as a legal defense for women who do that and as a plea for gentility and or sympathy, why can't Weinstein do it? Why can't any one of those men do it? And what would the response be of the MeToo movement if HW or any other man did?

He was 17 and she played his mother in a movie when he was 14 I believe. They referred to each other as mother and son. Yes indeed she abused her position of power, and it is complete hypocrisy. This topic has come up in the past here, and in the past it was a few males who dismissed it as some rite of passage/teenage boy fantasy-when it is nothing but sexual abuse. I have zero double standard about that.

Agreed.

I hope there's more than enough evidence regarding the case against Weinstein, though, to where this stuff with Argento shouldn't dent the chances of him facing justice for his crimes. He harassed and sexually abused a LOT of women, Argento included, so I would think the fact that he's got that many accusers and examples and stories against him is enough to punish him as needed.

I also don't think this whole thing with Argento will hurt #MeToo. If anything, this is proof that #MeToo is working exactly as it's meant to be. She's being called out just like all the men who've been accused lately have been, and rightly so. And I hope she faces the consequences for her actions, just as some of the men who've been accused recently have. Fact is, there's always going to be people trying to discredit #MeToo, and attempting to start up some level of backlash against it. What those people forget or fail (or refuse) to understand, however, is that this issue is bigger than any one person who's been leading it thus far, and Argento's hypocrisy does not automatically discredit every other person who's made accusations towards somebody famous.

Besides that, #MeToo is an issue that stretches well beyond Hollywood, as people in other professions in this country have been sharing their own stories of harassment/abuse/etc. as well. And this is an issue that's got lots and LOTS of decades worth of cleaning up to do. So yeah. It's going to be messy and long and hard and along the way, we'll have moments like this with Argento, where some unfortunate hypocrisies arise that we'll need to deal with. Anyone out there who believed rooting out sexual harassment and abuse was going to be an easy job is being quite...naive in their thinking, at best (and I'm speaking in general terms here with that statement, that's not targeted at anyone in this thread).

Yes, it sucks when people who speak on behalf of this movement wind up having their own skeletons in their closets. And I definitely sympathize with the people who get frustrated and are afraid of what this kind of story could do to a worthwhile movement. But the best thing we can do in response at this point is to simply call those people out on their hypocrisy, make sure they face the same kind of justice they wanted other people to face, and just keep on moving forward and continue the hard work needed to tackle this issue.

Now we are seeing the other side of the story come out.

I was going to say something about this earlier but didn’t want to get flamed over it. Personal texts of Asia’s are coming out.

It’s entirely possible that Bennett solicited the sex and felt regret. I don’t necessarily doubt his post-event trauma and I do think she’s responsible, but I don’t think the idea that she took an innocent boy and forced him away from friends, made him drink, and then made him have sex with her is entirely the most likely of scenarios.

I say this because I’m only 4-5 years past dealing with 17-18 year olds who are just entering the real world and think they’re emotionally invincible and they don’t know what they want.

It’s ultimately the more mature person’s responsibility to not bite. But this is where my “I don’t think the abused is becoming the abuser” thing is a fair assessment. I think these two just eventually got sexual as he physically matured but she failed to draw the line and went way overboard and did things she shouldn’t have and that fucked him up.

I dunno, having experienced very similar behaviors to what her purported text messages say, I entirely believe her side of the story. And again, that doesn’t mean her decision to act upon it was right. It was definitely wrong. It was one of lust without regard for the kid.

And creepy because she was twice his age.

this is disrespectful to the game of tennis and "the place" of roland garros stadium, i guess:

180824-serena-williams-french-open-catsuit-feature-image.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/aug/24/serena-catsuit-french-open-dress-code

Serena Williams will no longer be allowed to wear her skin-tight black catsuit at the French Open.

The French Tennis Federation president, Bernard Giudicelli, says the tournament that Williams has won three times is introducing a dress code to regulate players’ uniforms because “I think that sometimes we’ve gone too far”.

In an interview in Tennis Magazine’s 500th edition, Giudicelli singled out the figure-hugging black suit that Williams wore for her first-round at Roland Garros and said made her feel like a superhero.

Giudicelli said: “It will no longer be accepted. One must respect the game and the place”.

He said Roland Garros’ new rules won’t be as strict as Wimbledon’s, which require that players wear white, but will “impose certain limits”.

Many player uniforms for 2019 have already been designed but Giudicelli said the FFT will be asking manufacturers for an advance look at them.

Williams wore the skin-tight black catsuit for her opening match at Roland Garros this year, a 7-6 (4), 6-4 win over Kristyna Pliskova on Court Philippe Chatrier, saying it made her feel like a superhero and dedicating it to new mothers.

“It feels like this suit represents all the women that have been through a lot mentally, physically, with their body to come back and have confidence and to believe in themselves,” said Williams, who was returning from a long layoff after the birth of her first child.

She added: “I definitely feel like it is an opportunity for me to inspire a whole different group of amazing women and kids.”

Williams’ bodysuit was more than a fashion statement. The full-length outfit is designed to protect against blood clots.

The 36-year-old American gave birth to her daughter Alexis Olympia on 1 September, then dealt with serious complications related to a pulmonary embolism. After her recovery Williams revealed that she almost died giving birth.

“I had a lot of problems with my blood clots, and, God, I don’t know how many I have had in the past 12 months. So it is definitely a little functionality to it,” Williams said.

Williams is seeded 17th at the US Open, which begins in earnest on Monday, but enters as the betting favorite at the tournament where she has won six of her 23 grand slam titles.

i anxiously await the certainly-imminent announcement regarding the rules and restrictions around what the men can wear when competing at the french open this year.

i anxiously await the certainly-imminent announcement regarding the rules and restrictions around what the men can wear when competing at the french open this year.

i would imagine there already are rules and restrictions - pretty normal to have dress codes at high level sports, and RG isn't as strict as Wimbledon

even for amateur competitions there are dress codes

*French shrug *

bof

Last edited:
Imagine if they demanded basketball players must play in suits.

Well, I suppose they demand that in baseball. Not exactly an ergonomic attire in that sport. But I suppose it’s also the least athletically demanding.

i would imagine there already are rules and restrictions - pretty normal to have dress codes at high level sports, and RG isn't as strict as Wimbledon

*French shrug *

bof

how to miss the point completely :rolleyes:

*French shrug *

bof

^ Pretty much this, mama :)

how is it missing the point?

the example in the cnn article re. the child with dreadlocks, women being told they can't wear their hair naturally is completely different - the catsuit isn't an integral part of her cultural identity or physical make-up - this is just a dress code, in a sport with rules re. this kind of thing - if a player wore a bright red cat suit it wouldn't be allowed either, no?

that's why i'm not losing my shit and crying sexism/racism in this case

i think her catsuit is fantastic personally and think it would be pretty cool for rules to relax and allow people to be more expressive

i think it's typical bureaucracy actually, rather than anything sinister

eta: mustn't forget that the French are generally pretty conservative when it comes to dress in certain contexts (it's fine to go naked on a nudist beach, or topless on any beach, but men will get kicked out a supermarket if they try to walk in bare chested in the summer), and often anything alternative or which makes a person stand out can be frowned on... having kids who insisted on dyeing their hair pink/having mohicans while in the school system, we have had to battle conservative dress attitudes over the years, and i've lost count of the number of times other mums have told me my kids "shouldn't stand out from the crowd", so none of this surprises me really

Last edited:
Well she came out with a funny retort by wearing a black tutu to the US Open. It's a ruffled skirt but they are calling it a tutu.

I think it's ridiculous and don't see anything "disrespectful" about her black catsuit. Time for tennis to get with the times.

you really think it would be just as rapidly proclaimed by the president of the french tennis federation as disrespectful to tennis and to roland garros stadium and that things had "gone too far" if rafael nadal announced that for health reasons he wanted to compete in the french open in something that fully covered him?

Last edited:
I certainly don't think anyone would be crying foul if Nadal wore a one piece latex suit and they told him nah...

That said, it's fairly dumb on the part of the French Open to even make it an issue and open themselves up to criticism. She only wore it for medical reasons, and I don't believe she's worn it since. They revived an issue that probably didn't need reviving and opened themselves up to criticism.

So they're either dumb and couldn't think that people might see it as racist/sexist before hand, or, ya know, racist and sexist.

Either way they fucked the pooch on this one.

you really think it would be just as rapidly proclaimed by the president of the french tennis federation as disrespectful to tennis and to roland garros stadium and that things had "gone too far" if rafael nadal announced that he wanted to compete in the french open in something that fully covered him for health reasons?

middle aged guy in a body hugging catsuit?

that would abso-fucking-lutely be going too far and would deserve a lifetime ban :D

it's not like the catsuit is the only way of managing circulation problems, it's just compression gear made to look super cool! (and was reputed to be based on the film anyway, so functional but a bit gimmicky too)

Last edited:
hey, i'm not saying it could happen (tho i wouldn't be opposed to seeing rafa in a suit like that :shifty: ). i just have a veeeeeeeeery hard time believing the president of the french tennis federation would be using such strong denouncing language in public if it were one of the top male players.

anyways, this whole thing is just absurd coming from the country that invented the bikini. there's no reason whatsoever that women should be required to wear skirts when playing tennis (or any other sport). i could understand the reaction if she was trying to play in shorts and a sports bra or something, but that's literally about the least-revealing piece of athletic clothing she could possibly wear. it's probably even a disadvantage on a hot day.

hey, i'm not saying it could happen (tho i wouldn't be opposed to seeing rafa in a suit like that :shifty: ). i just have a veeeeeeeeery hard time believing the president of the french tennis federation would be using such strong denouncing language in public if it were one of the top male players.

anyways, this whole thing is just absurd coming from the country that invented the bikini. there's no reason whatsoever that women should be required to wear skirts when playing tennis (or any other sport). i could understand the reaction if she was trying to play in shorts and a sports bra or something, but that's literally about the least-revealing piece of athletic clothing she could possibly wear. it's probably even a disadvantage on a hot day.
Nah. That shit's using technologically advanced material. Nike wouldn't throw their #1 female athlete out there in anything that would give her a disadvantage.

yeah i wondered about overheating, but i imagine it must be made of very breathable material

re. bikini, i think it's all about context, rules and tradition

Nah. That shit's using technologically advanced material. Nike wouldn't throw their #1 female athlete out there in anything that would give her a disadvantage.

yea maybe it's not really a disadvantage especially when you're a world-class athlete. but it's all black, covers a lot and it's skin-tight. that's gotta get real hot when you're running around in the sun for hours no matter how breathable the material is.

yea maybe it's not really a disadvantage especially when you're a world-class athlete. but it's all black, covers a lot and it's skin-tight. that's gotta get real hot when you're running around in the sun for hours no matter how breathable the material is.
I took a tour of the Under Armour factory for work and they explained how these new full body suits actually keep you cooler.. I'd explain it but it was boring as fuck

I see the relationship but I don’t think that rapey Weinstein and her actions are the same thing.

First of all, statutory rape and age of consent laws are dumb laws. They make sense in that they protect minors, but it’s difficult to define where the boundaries lay. There are efforts to bandaid their shortcomings (so called “Romeo and Juliet” laws) that protect people of close age. I’d argue that 20 years isn’t very close in age... so her actions are super weird and creepy, but not child rapey creepy. Anyways, there are mental aspects of it that are why the line gets drawn, but I suppose my point is that I never want to step on toes over two consenting adults - but a 17 year old is truly a case by case basis if they qualify as an “adult.” So from that angle, I have no desire to criticize her behavior, even if it’s a strange age difference.

And I do intend to separate her as not being a victim who has become a perp in the sense that Harvey, the original perp, raped her and others. What she’s done, in my eyes, is more off the scummy note of a Louis C K. And for the record, it took open air discussion on here for me to really be harsher on him. But what she’s done is what he did - abusing power as a senior member of their field, effectively, to get what she wants.

Harvey forcefully raped people and abused his power to cover up immoral acts. She abused her power not likely understanding that she’d done so, but more out of pure lust and desire.

It’s not forgivable, but it is different. We should treat it differently, and before ousting someone like this, offer them a path to repair. She’s done awful things, but she is not an awful person.

good post number7. the problem with defining the boundaries is the boundary is in place to protect. protect the underage person atall costs as well as the older one. but mainly the underage. the law doesn't really measure intent as much as it should.

if harvey raped women then he will find out what rape is really about sooner than later.

as for asia, she might be technically as well as morally wrong to some but i will never believe the boy was a victim. i say that having been a 17 year old boy. but there is a double standard that i suppose is sexist in some way.....if asia was a man and the boy was a girl, i am sure my thoughts would be to castrate the man.

either way, it is common sense. if harvey did what he is accused of it isn't remotely comparable to what asia may or may not have done.

There's a female player at the US Open, from France I believe, who was issued a code violation for taking her top off on the court. She had put it on backwards and wanted to reverse it.

From what I've read taking a shirt off on the court is not a code violation for a man, but it is for a woman. She walked over to the barrier and turned her back to the camera. Nothing could be seen, and so what if it could. She was wearing a sports bra.

I think they overturned the code violation.

Back
Top Bottom